GOTFY: Tokyo Jungle. Jap: Now / Euro: TBA (but confirmed)

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Re: GOTFY: Tokyo Jungle. Jap: Now / Euro: TBA (but confirmed

Post by pilonv1 »

Got some blu rays for Xmas so I will probably plug the PS3 back in and give this a try.
Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Post by Seraph »

Completing a chapter of Story mode will place some special collectible items in the game's main mode (Survival).
They will show up on the game map and you need to collect all 3 in one "play". Once you have them all, you then need to die in order to save, as the game only* saves at the end of a session.

Then you can play the next story chapter, which when completed, will put more special items on the map, etc.

As for dead-ends and soforth, there aren't really any dead-ends unless you're playing as an animal too large to enter the sewers. Shibuya Suburbs has a sewer entry that leads to Yoyogi Park East - though you might want to stay away from there as it's the zoo, and is full of lions and tigers and bears (oh my).

If playing as a predator, you can carry small corpses around by holding the eat button. Good for going through areas with low food content.
Also, you can use the evade move (flick the right stick) to cancel out of the Clean Kill animation. Useful when a lot of enemies are around.

As for food content and randomness, the whole game is random, basically. It's what makes each session interesting (and frustrating). Poison is really annoying at first, but once you get used to the game it's not too hard to deal with (and there are items that reduce its potency).

Any more questions, ask away. I don't proclaim to be a master or anything, but I'm certainly a big fan of the game (it's my GOTY for 2012) and I'll happily fire it up to check anything you are curious about.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

So had my best run through last night, I still suck though. I died when my hunger went to 0 and my life kept depleting on all my pomeranians each time I died and went to the next one. Was this because of the toxic air? I couldn't work it out, my toxicity did get to 100% though a while before this but then I kept eating animals I found to keep it going back down so I was a bit confused. Or I had changed generations and this was the 31st yeaer, was I meant to change again? I thought I could last 30 on the one animal?
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

I think I decided not to care about collecting tapes, not realising that they moved the game forwards too. Will have another go now, thanks!
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account

Post by selfish »

Wait, I am a retard, how do you know how good a mate is before you go near her?
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account

Post by selfish »

And you say not to unlock any animals, but to save the points for the end of the game?
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Man this game is hard. When it gives warnings about food not lasting long on a hot day, it is possible to stockpile food somehow? This is how I get into trouble, such a rush to make the current goals without time to stop and get food, I'm go go go the whole time. The alley cat challenge where you have to mate twice in 9 years seems near on impossible.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account

Post by selfish »

I just try not to kill anything unless I need to, so that the meat stays fresh.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

It's hard when the challenge is to kill 15 animals in the next 7 years etc.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

Thread buried and I'm probably too late to answer, but anyways...

With a couple of notable exceptions, all animals have a 20-year lifespan. You can check your age on the pause screen.
Once you get to 15, you start losing stats, including hunger.
When you hit 20, your max hunger drops to zero, and as that means your current hunger is also zero, you lose HP constantly.

Basically, you need to mate every 10-15 years.

Regarding mates - you don't know until you can see the hearts coming off them. Black hearts - poor. A couple of pink hearts - average.
Bright pink heart with sparkles - prime.
You need to be a at least a veteran for the average mate, and a Boss for the prime mate (pause screen tells you your rank).

Regarding unlocking animals - at the end are a couple of very expensive animals. I recommend unlocking each new animal, but not unlocking the alternate skins that some animals have (like the cat, lion, etc.).

You can't stockpile food, but you can carry it in your mouth if it's smaller than you. Keep in mind that food can still go bad while you are carrying it.

Mating twice in 9 years is not as bad as it seems. Mark four territories and find your mate, then time your run such that you mate as soon as you hit year 11. Now you need to mate once in nine years - not so bad.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account

Post by selfish »

This game is one I can't play much of in a single go, but I enjoy when I go back to it. Keep this thread simmering away with help for us dorks, thanks
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Yeah I've been playing it a ton lately but in batches. I've gotten pretty good now, still haven't finished the story or unlocked all the characters but I can generally survive about 40 - 50 years every play and I'm constantly learning good strategies for the challenges. Also getting new items helps, the little increases in attack and stuff can make a big difference to your animal if it is undersized or a vego.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account

Post by selfish »

So the items wear out though? Seems frustrating.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Well they have hit points, just buy more before each game? I've never had one wear out on me whilst wearing it, its when u die wearing it degrades, die enough times the item is lost.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

Head, Neck, and Body items lose one point of durability every time an enemy hits you.
Leg items lose one point of durability every time you attack an enemy.

Most equipment, once found, becomes purchaseable in the game's store. There's a few items that aren't though, and some of them are the best items in the game :(
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Currently 99c on the US PSN.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

I have 6c on my US account...

Oh! Fucking $10.05 on my AU account and Ni no Kuni is $10.35... fml!
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Haha, I have £1.74 on my primary account.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

The problem is I now have $9.01 on my US account and nothing else I really want to get :(
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

I hate the wallet system and I'm glad that my MS overlords gave it up.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

pilonv1 wrote:The problem is I now have $9.01 on my US account and nothing else I really want to get :(
You actually play your PS3? ;)
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

t0mby wrote:
pilonv1 wrote:The problem is I now have $9.01 on my US account and nothing else I really want to get :(
You actually play your PS3? ;)
Not really, just got it back from my brother and it's now my netflix box