DESTINY |OT| Haters create their own reality.

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Re: Destiny Beta

Post by AgOnNy »

I think it's more like Mass Effect meets Halo with MMO elements.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Yeah I haven't seen it anywhere else. I have seen someone else compare it with Mass Effect like Ags which is true in the sense that it's an FPS with powers. The warlock's nova bomb reminds me of an asari. But that's where it ends.

Tower = Pioneer, squads of four, mission variants of the same map. Everyone has a ghost but it doesn't seem as cool as a MAG, but going by the menu there are upgrades or customizations for it.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

Oh crap yeah, you can customize your Ghost... It's so much PSO it isn't funny.

Don't forget a lot of the gaming population never got to play PSO. Plus there is a whole generation of gamers who have never heard of it.
ObSoLeTe
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: OBY83

Post by ObSoLeTe »

yeah PSO was the first console based game i played online on the old dreamcast and at a blistering 56k speed

"Old But Not Obsolete" - A.Schwarzenegger
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

Madmya wrote:I think there are purples! It's their 'legendary' gear and is noted by the colour purple.
jizzlobber wrote:So going what I saw of old Russia, the point of the game would be to hang out in those levels with a couple of other mates, kill the bad guys, move on to the next lot of bad guys and kill them, do this until you decide to go back to kill the bad guys which have now respawned... repeat this until you decide to battle the boss to get out of the area and move on to another.

If that's it the game just isn't for me.
You can play the game that way if you want. That'd be a pretty shit game though. It isn't the aim of the game.

Fireteams are like your parties. You can go up to anyone and press the right stick to interact with them and from there you can do things like view gamercard or join a fireteam. If you join a fireteam you guys are tied together when it comes to doing actual missions. You can tell people that are in fireteams because their names are coloured differently, and when you go to orbit you're joined by their ship. When I say 'cosmodrome' I mean Old Russia. They refer to that map as that in the story, but I'll stop now. So when you go down to Old Russia as a fireteam you see randoms going about doing their own thing too. I usually just ignore them unless a public event happens which turns into a mini-Firefight from the old Haloes. But whatevs, if you choose to do a main mission you just follow the grey reticle as you've noted until you hit a 'respawning restricted' zone which is where the real shit happens. From here only people in your fireteam are visible and you do the mission together. This is where the best battles are and I've had some bloody intense ones which left me feeling like I've just had a good rush. I wouldn't say they've been as satisfying as taking down elites on Legendary in Halo but I've only played normal difficulty thus far, and don't have many abilities unlocked so it would be harsh of me to judge.

I would liken roaming around Russia killing small groups of Fallen as 'fucking around'. As we've said, this is like PSO where you activate a mission/difficulty, travel to the level and fight enemies on a map you might have already been on but with slight variants and harder enemies. The draw is the fun of the battles, co-op and loot drops (which are rare and I like). Pretty much PSO.
So if you don't elect to do the "main mission" (there are other missions? Or just killing respawning baddies?) you will soo other fireteams? Like I said I saw one or two others, when other fireteams are visible how many other players could you potentially see?
from what I saw there simply aren't enough enemies about to have too many others in the map with you... and the maps are pretty small, they are basically play fields like a large competitive multiplayer map rather than a traditional single player level... for some reason I was expecting something like oblivion where you can actually travel the world and raid shit.

The only "levels" should be the different planets, old Russia for example is just a bunch of maps rather than a place where you can travel past the horizons.

Anyway that's just me, I see PSO fans will lap it up... I don't get it :)
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

'Exploring the Cosmodrome' is one of the missions, and that is just roaming around Old Russia at your own free will. There are side missions in there, like a few I did was scanning armaments and shit like that. Piddly stuff. The main area of Old Russia is a shared space. You'll see people going it alone, people in fireteams, whatever. I wouldn't say there's heaps of people though. You usually see more people in the Tower but that could just be because the Tower is much more condensed. But I think Old Russia is bigger than what you think. I put 4 hours in and I'm pretty certain I didn't see everything. Some parts you need that ghost-like vehicle to get to otherwise it's a long walk and since you've said you've played really little, I doubt even more you've been everywhere.

Oh wells there's only a bit over a month to go and there'll be many more impressions about.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

The game is limited to 2 other people in your "shared" world. They just peer to peer you with other people, which kinda didn't work a lot of the time, people just did their own thing I found.

It's a travesty this game doesn't have proximity chat, it would make meeting these randoms a lot more useful, you could engage in a conversation to team up, there is no trading between people, no quest sharing. It's pretty broken when it comes to the social aspect.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Oddly enough Bungie asked the question today about the game "What is missing?"

Stop being so doom and gloom, it'll be awesome.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

Yet proximity chat would be good, i'd see randoms in my game and we'd just look at each other.

Party chat really fucked the social aspect of XBL, it's a real shame, every game you play is just dead.
I'm HANGING to play halo 2 multi but it won't be the same, I want to hear all those dickheads... I miss them!
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Is Destiny MP only or can you play through it SP?
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

I think it's both...but you're encouraged to play with people.

Happy to be corrected on this though if the bitches stop bitching :D
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

You can do anything on your own, but I don't know if you can play the game offline at all.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

You van play it alone but it kind of defeats the purpose...
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Madmya wrote:You can do anything on your own, but I don't know if you can play the game offline at all.
Game requires online, even if you play solo you will be seeing random people in your game.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

http://www.polygon.com/forums/destiny/2 ... iny-review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Red flag, we've seen this played before.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

More to do with technicalities and the nature of the game than any kind of deceit or hiding things IMO.
That linked article even says, the servers don't go up until Monday.

EB received 18 truckloads of Destiny across all four formats.
RIGHTEOUS FURY
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

And you're questioning the motive of withholding reviews. Front load that bitch.

I already know the game will be criticised for lack of content and repetiveness. Activision know it too.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

I'm sure Activision won't care since there will be plenty of other sites looking for hits.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Red flags, yes, but it doesn't mean anything yet. We've seen games do this in the past with even less reason than Destiny and they've still had excellent reviews.

This game will be great. I'm very confident of this.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

And as for lack of content, this will be bigger than a Halo campaign so it all seems moot to me.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Bungie responded to why the review copies are going out late.
We'll talk more about this in the update, but we did explore simulating a vibrant pre-launch population by giving early access to
some fictive group, employing hired resources, and/or raising an army of sentient, killer robots. Ultimately, given that most reviewers
are going to need to spend time with Destiny in the real world, under real conditions, we opted to have reviewers play alongside real
players.
Makes sense to me, probably don't want a repeat of Polygons Sim City review score debacle.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

The game only has 2 other randoms running around in the world with you at most, raids are 6 person max. A single review office could easily co-op most of the content. Pretty weak excuse imo, most reviewers are used to playing in test instances for this sort of thing.

They're acting like the game has proximity chat or a viable way to communicate with randoms besides doing dance moves. :lol:
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I am so pumped for next week. Can't wait to show off my sick dance moves!
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Looking at Slopey's Market Calculator earlier and it looks like you can do a great profit on a load of Destiny digital downloads running out of Freeport back to Azeban before the review scores affect sales.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

It also lets them control street date lestat. I just don't understand why you're so overly pessimistic about the game. You aren't the only one either.