Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Re: Nintendo Discussion Thread

Post by GameHED »

hour footage of xenoblade x
PS2 level npc in an oblivion like openworld with mechas. Looks great. This is the style of rpg I want to see fallout games turn into instead of 'oblivion with guns'. You can ride a vehicle for fast travel, have multiple players kill monsters with you, but lots of mutated monsters in the environment interact with each other to give the environment believability and appeal to japanese audience. (push that camera back so you can see yourself doing the moves instead of being inside a guy's head.)

When you want to go into map view you launch a little helicoptor drone thing to scout out the area before moving so you don't run into dangerous enemies which kill you in one hit.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Looking forward to the PC/PS4/XBONE version
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Not me. I prefer playing it as the creators intended. Take your george lucas style 'ewoks blinking, extra cg animals in the background' edits out of my game library. Michael Bay already killed the transformers, harmony gold killed macross by not doing anything with robotech, and godzilla looks like a fatass in the last movie insulting americans by giving tbem an unfit version of the muscular original from japan....all thanks to americans changing the designs thinking they are improving on japans content. Kids don't buy the pc version of this game off candy.

Support the originals. PC, Xbone,PS4 already has loads of open world games. Support the original vision, not the half arsed ports. You saw what happened to dark souls 2 scholar of the first sin didn't you? Your weapons broke thanks to the creators not giving a shit about next gen due to the majority of people playing last gen editions as next gen is tiny audience still. (all the money is in catering to povo masses who can't see the difference in graphics between last and current gen thanks to lazy american game companies recycling old engines and just giving framerate boost but not doing brand new things on current gen. They do it deliberately due to lack of ambitions and greed. (original series is riskier than doing breakthrough stuff with new effects added in and expansion packs with more of the same. Buying that bigger house and more expensive boat takes precedence over making the finest digital entertainment product they can. Which explains why wii u is failing: the americans just want your money not praise for making good things with no bugs, no day one dlc, and superior play mechanics and complex systems to keep you interested in the long term. By avoiding wii u they can get away with sloppy code and let modding community fix thier broken code instead of go through nintendos process of quality control since they are irresponsible.

As long as they add blood gore titties swearing and hookers, they can hide bad code. All the games on xbox pc ps4 make me feel depressed and gloomy. This is to make gaming all about sad things. Wii U has cartoon textures and giant playground environments. So much cleaner and less cluttered so your brain can focus on the gameplay instead of distractions like tits, gore, sad people who send you on quests etc This scares away normal people who are not filthy and fear games in general. They point to COD and gears of war as proof gamers are the ones doing all tbe school shootings and raping college girls and putting them in diablo style rape dungeons where there are demonic beings sacrificing naked chics and torturing and eating them. (possibly because practicing satanists make the games) The creepiest thing of all is they want to see if you get an erection or have a smile on your face blowing away some innocent guy's balls off with a 50 calibur sniper rifle by using the xbox kinect camera to see your reactions so they can recruit you into the military later and pay you to kill humans to feed the military industrial complex and also loot the dead things.

Gamers are being attacked by liberals for being gamers by old media. This is probably due to gaming industry being all about depressing stuff like killing monsters and not fucking them which is what feminists want. The goal is make us weak and dumb down games so you can't kill things well. (they see gamers as lonely psychos trying to live their real world fantasy in virtual environments rather than people having fun)

Suddenly non-gamers give a fuck about gta without understanding its a game not a movie where programmers direct the activity of what the buyers of the game do. On one side you have violent neocons trying to brainwash the youth by desensitsing them to the ugliness of dearh, and on the other the social justice warriors trying to censor artists expressions by putting ugly people in fantasy games like dragon age juat because gaming industry is big. Nintendo platform is the escape. No dumb camera spying on my penis, no ugly people in the games. It's good to be unbiased like me. :up: No lost saves like far cry 4 where my perks where not able to be unlocked on second playthrough thanks to nintendo seal of quality trapping bugs that ruin the fun. On xbox I lost hours having to restart thanks to poor quality coders. Wii U is the true next gen. lol
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

The Splatoon blast test is today at 1pm and I think 9pm... Nintendo are actually testing their servers.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

I got it but forgot about AEST, so thinking I was 15 min from the 9pm session but had already missed it by two hours.

Next one is 3 am for WA, ,not sure if I'll be up that early or am keen enough to get up that early for it but it would be very neat to give it a play test.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Super sick so I didn't get a chance to try it out. People are saying it's pretty awesome though.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Yeah, I didn't bother with the Splatoon stress test. Didn't seem worth bothering for just an hour. If it had have been over the weekend, I would have been all over it. I watched the Nintendo Direct for it though, and it looks amazing.
RIGHTEOUS FURY
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

I missed it, sleeping. Hoping I've finally got some proper Internet again for when this is out.

So 3ds, has anyone tried any hand grips for them? I started looking into it with old 3ds, the circle pad pro seemed to widely get the thumbs up for comfortability and I grabbed one for about $10, then realized that if I wanted to play anything that didn't support CPP the console triggers would effectively be useless as they got hidden and replaced by the CPPs four triggers.

It was damn comfortable for the one or two games I had that supported it but for the rest it was back to normal. With the new 3ds edges being a bit more rounded I decided not to worry about hand grips until my monster hunter binging. It can get a little crampy with extended play so I took a punt on these rubber coated grips from cyber:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Cyber-Gadget-Rubb ... 1780215684" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks quite comfy and it has storage for two games carts underneath, and the flap that hides the games can double as a tripod stand as well. There is an XL version as well, and I think they made variants for the old 3ds xl as well. Will report back when it arrives with some impressions. :up:
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

I finally finished all the 3DS puzzle pieces today! FUCKING YEAH!!!!! Punching air.
Roll on Splatoon puzzle. I'll have a shit-ton of coins ready to nail the blue pieces by then.
RIGHTEOUS FURY
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

We heard anything about when Xenoblade CX is coming here to Aus? Possible release date at E3 for sure?
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

I think later this year? (end of 2015?)

Seeing lots of vids on youtube of japanese version being played. Maybe they will add content for europe release. Sort of like how we get MH games later but with all content included.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

So. How about that NX+Android rumour?

Personally I'd love it. Nintendo could spend more effort on producing a great piece of hardware, given that most of their OS would be free. They could even make it run a BSD kernel if they're not keen on the whole Linux thing.
Of course the downside would be the whole Java overhead, which is barely tolerable on a phone, and I don't see fanboys gushing over having that in a console. Yes, I know, Android can be programmed in any language nowadays, but the temptation would be there for devs to do quick and dirty ports to Dalvik/ART.

I don't see them doing it though. Nintendo are too proud to resort to a third-party OS, even if they retained full control over the device.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

This ftp game from the tekken guy looks good:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... t-treasure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://youtu.be/0NFzytcnm2o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mixture of diablo with tomb raider setting. Could be a PSO killer imo. Exclusive to wii u.
The schoolgirl character gives me a boner.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Has anyone got Splatoon? I've noticed it received an 'Essential' rating on Eurogamer, but man, it looks like one of the most monotonous and boring games to me. I personally can't understand how it can be that good.

Edit: Oh, I see IGN gave it 7.9. Good, I feel vericated now.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Absolutely no interest in Splatoon. Looks like something that would have been awesome on the Dreamcast.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

I heard a fair bit of the game is locked behind that Amiibo shit...

And there is no chat..............what fucken year is Nintendo stuck in??
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

I heard the single player portion is in fact more interesting than multi.

This is probably nintendo's way of making non-violent FPS for kids. Personally I would have preferred they used the Advance Wars* setting and IP and done cartoony war game. So instead of sliding in the ink and climbing walls, you are using futuristic tech like grappling hook to scale the buildings and skateboard type device that lets you slide on the floor in prone position and all these abilities are moves you do. Exchange people whose guts splatter all over the place with robots whose bodies explode and let us blow them to pieces like the robots in Binary Domain and nintendo would have GOTY. Robots and Zombies are two of the most fun non-human thing to blow limbs off of. because they continue to move around even after you decapitate or amputate limbs. Aliens and monster would come second because they are usually bullet sponges in most games these days.

I will check this out but I only play multiplayer titles occassionally for now aside from MK8. I heard the tablet is used well in this game though so nobody can say nintendo didn't try to make good use of it in a non-launch title. The map screen gives you clues as to where you need to be to expand the territory.

I think if nintendo want to make a great co-op shooter please look at the EDF games. Why can't nintendo make stuff like that? I would love to see something like EDF on Wii U where you slowly level up your character over time and on replays you get better weapons based on the difficulty setting. The tablet is used to give orders to your squad of where to go and you attack monsters from several directions. Splatoon looks like a game that is simple in concept but it's more complex than it seems. (ie shooting and moving must be balanced carefully or you will slow down when walking over stuff so you need to pay attention where you are a lot. Much like bomberman when multiple players are doing stuff in the screen it gets chaotic.) If Hyrule Warrors was dynasty Warriors with nintendo characters why couldn't they do a Battalion Wars thing with EDF setting where alians are invading and armies must unite to fight? EDF with Advance Wars IP.

*there is a spin off series of Advance Wars called Battalion Wars on GC and Wii which has the look of Advance War but its a action-strategy title. IF they want to make a FPS they should use this IP but then people would get angry that nintendo is using old franchises and not makig new IP. You can't win with some people.
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

Candy Arse wrote:Absolutely no interest in Splatoon. Looks like something that would have been awesome on the Dreamcast.
It really does... I see this game and I think Fur Fighters for some reason.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

I think it's just candy's desire to see nintendo go third party like sega. Everything with primary colours or anime coloring is sega dreamcast game in the 90s. If you oversaturate your primary colours like the clothing of the wiggles, you are a sega dreamcast game. Oh and you need punk rock too. Anything with punks (ie crazy taxi, anythin resembling something in sonic the hedgehog) = dreamcast game.

Would love to see sega make a Virtual On style game for Wii U. Does anyone remember VOOT? (it got ported to DC) I never saw anyone play that at my local arcade. It's this robot mech fighting game which uses dual sticks to do all the moves. Not sure if anyone remembers but I am certain that this is available on Xbox live still. You used guns, lasers beams, bombs, close range attacks with swords etc (just like any fighting game but from behind the back)
Japan got this on xbox 360: (exclusive HD remaster)
A sequel on Wii U is needed. The tablet could be shortcuts for retards to do special moves until they can get good enough to pull it off manually. Do it Sega. Back when DC was around, the console only had one analogue stick. Now we have 2 analogue sticks. Maybe port the old game to Vita? Modernise it for new systems. Higher poly models, cel shaded graphics like Crackdown, and more smooth control. (Metroid prime hunters on nintendo ds was great example here: in alt mode you had physics for the ball roll thing to make quick escapes. This was splatoon in pre-wii u days.)

Instead of saturn or dreamcast discs that spin on the backs of the mechas when they move, you can put in wii U disc in place of it. These would be the newer model of mechas. Amiibo would let you alter the paintscheme of your mechas.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I don't want to see Nintendo go 3rd party. The Wii U is the best console on the market right now.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Yeah, I'm playing Splatoon.

Hit level 10 (unlocked ranked) multiplayer last night, and I'm a fair way into the campaign.
It's a lot of fun.

The multiplayer is three minute 4v4. Regular (unranked mode) is whoever has the most of the map painted up by the end of the time. I've found the Splattergun and the Roller the most fun so far. Hiding in the floor as a squid is definitely cool and different. Popping out and capping someone unawares is pretty satisfying. The splattering of the paint is pretty satisfying too. It's unique and refreshing.
Haven't done ranked yet, but apparently Splat Zone is more a king of the hill type of thing.

The lack of voice doesn't bother me, and I think it's by design. I've played a lot of PVZ:GW, and I've NEVER heard anything remotely intelligent, never mind something strategic or teamwork. I do get that people who want to make teams of 4 to compete would be put out though. But this isn't Halo or Battlefield, and it doesn't want to be. Actually, a hell of a lot of the teammates and opponents are Japanese, so what's the point anyhow?

Campaign is very, very slick. It's supposedly very short. howlongtobeat says 3 and a half hours, but I'm at about 5 hours I think and still have a world to go. It's essentially a slick-as-hell Nintendo 3D platformer with the squid floor mechanic replacing jumping. It is very interesting.

At $60 at Target, if you own a WiiU you really should get it.

:unbiased:
RIGHTEOUS FURY
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1057271" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'd like to talk about "game feel" through the lens of Splatoon, trying to break it down into its component parts. But feel free to break down other games, as well.

What do I mean by game feel? Game feel, at its best, is when it's a joy simply to move around. It's something special you feel from the moment you push the stick... tilt the pad... tap a button... or squeeze a trigger. Every input is inherently satisfying. It could be due to immediacy of control, wind-up and cool-down, animation and effects, sound cues, or other forms of feedback.

For me, with Splatoon, I think it's some combination of the following:

- The tight jumps in kid form: Sure, they pale in comparison to the lunging leaps you make as a squid. But the kid can still jump over the head of another kid, with a degree of air control that is precise and on point. It just feels right hopping from platform to platform. I find myself doing parkour from pole to pole in the plaza!

- The visualization of shooting: The torrent of ink is thick and chunky and disperses in the air. The arc is clearly visible, giving the bullets a strong sense of motion. It truly feels like you're expelling something into the world.

- The sense of impact: The way enemies swell and burst like water balloons, their weapons collapsing into pieces. The way bombs also inflate and implode, a visual cue (along with the high-pitched audio cue) to leap out of the way.

- The sense of layering: The way ink splashes and congeals on the ground, with a real sense of density and depth as it layers over itself. It feels like you're "building" upon the foundation of the stage. Like you're adding something more tangible than a mere "texture."

- The sense of swimming: Or rather skimming — a unique sensation in games. You swim just below the surface, at a high rate of speed. It's accentuated by the trail of ripples you leave in your wake (which can give away your location, so swim with care). And the way the audio muffles when you're submerged makes it feel like a separate place, safe and subdued.

- The kerplunk sound: This can be heard when you dive into your ink from a great height. It sounds like a golfball landing in the water. It's something many people won't consciously notice, but it still creates a sense of weight and impact.

- The frantic wriggling up walls: It really feels like you're fighting gravity, popping in and out of a painted vertical surface in an attempt to climb as quickly as possible. The payoff is a sniper perch or better vantage point from which to paint, but the risk is being shot as you climb. Tension, and release.

- The trails carved by blasts: This is particular to certain types of projectiles. A sniper snot from a charger... A cyclone from an inkzooka. The way they carve long, streaking pathways through a field of enemy ink is incredibly satisfying.

- Speed-based ink-skipping: The opening gambit of each match often sees players streaking trails and diving into them, blazing forward. They'll leap obstacles in squid form, clearing gaps with enough momentum. One can even maneuver minefields of enemy ink, skipping from puddle to puddle. This one-two setup — run and gun, swim and leap — creates a certain rhythm that reminds me of bunny hills on a rollercoaster — zipping forward, popping up, falling down, popping up, and zipping forward again.

- The triple-analog aiming: The game can be played in dual-analog, but I think most people will play with both sticks -and- gyro. The optional use of gyro allows for a degree of aiming and camera control that is so seamless it becomes an extension of the mind. Subtle wrist movements (on the scale of centimeters) translate to motions that are sweeping yet precise. You can zero in on moving targets with KBM-like accuracy and speed. It feels good just to aim.

There's more, such as the HUD element of the score counter climbing higher as you spread ink, and the visual feedback of your team's ink spreading (or shrinking) on the GamePad screen and your TV. But above are some of the key points I think make this game feel so good at a core level.

What makes Splatoon work for you (assuming it does)? What elements do you see in other games with good "game feel?"
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I heard the term seabagging today. It involves standing over the head of your fallen enemy and then change back and forth between squid and kid.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

I must say I'm very tempted in jumping back in and re-buying a Wii U. What sold me on it was Splatoon. I saw my first gameplay footage this morning, looks really cool and right up my ally. Would be a good change of pace from PS4/PC.

Just doing more research on it and other potential titles.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

I can't recommend it highly enough. Can't. Stop. Playing.
Hit level 15 this morning, and I'd be playing it right now if I didn't have to logon and do some work.
Another 5 more hours and it'll take over Smash as my most played WiiU game.
So slick. Easily my GOTY so far this year. Don't get me wrong, I really like Witcher a lot, but it's jarring controlling Geralt after playing Splatoon.
RIGHTEOUS FURY