Fallout 4!!!!

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Re: Fallout 4!!!!

Post by Rorschach »

PC version, unmodded, is superior to both console versions. Period. Better framerate, quicker loads, superior resolution.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Rorschach wrote:
Cletus wrote:I think this will be my Summer game. One thing that struck me right away was if she's (I made a female character) looking for her son...and it's over 200 years since they went underground, how does she know what period in time her son was stolen and her husband murdered? The son could have been stolen 190 years ago...
That's almost spoiler worthy, I've read ahead...
Well fuck. Now you've turned it into a bloody spoiler you idiot.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Vince wrote:Guys, thinking of picking this up for Xbox one only for the fallout 3 download code. What's performance like? Is it really poor or just poor in places?
In places. It's fine for the overwhelming majority of the game. I haven't reached the main capital where it's supposed to be bad, though. To be honest, I thought GTA V on 360 performed worse and I still loved it.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Hardly
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Rorschach wrote:PC version, unmodded, is superior to both console versions. Period. Better framerate, quicker loads, superior resolution.
Yes the graphics are better but bugs and poor interface....
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2015/11/fallou ... -terrible/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you know, things that affect gameplay..

Wait for patches, and goty release. Early adopters risks corrupted save files.

Or tell bethesda to make pc games that are for pc, then port to consoe later. (like dragon age origins) this way everyone is happy because the way you interact with the game is fun.

The more easy you go on them the less chance they'll want to improve in future games. For witcher it was downgraded graphics. For this? It's the skyrim-ising of the choices so decisions are inconsequential.
This was because they are shying away from the traditional stuff which is better. For a console audience this is good as we play fast paced action games so it's a pacing thing, but for pc, it's a loss of quality. (more options means more choices in how your player character acts and npc responds. Older pc games had that depth. See the negative user reviews for pc version on metacritic, and compare them to user reviews on console.

Since consoles HAVE LOW RES, we can read tiny text because the big screen in our living room combined with low screen res blows up the text onscreen more, meaning we can lay back on our couch and freakin see the words.

But for pc you have high res so you can fit more information on screen and can afford to have say ten dialogue options on the screen and see it without squinting.

How we interact with pc and console are different. PC gamers want more tactical options and console gamers don't want to squint. Bethesda made this a console game so it suffers on pc. This explains why pc user reviews on metacritic are so negative while console gamers seem more easy-going.

A reverse example is in wasteland 2. When it got ported to consoles from pc, the big problem of its interface was that text was waay too tiny to read. That because on pc you are sitting closer to your screens and you have way higher resolutions so tiny text is fine. But it's annoying for us console gamers to play on our tvs because the text looks blurry as the fonts were made for monitors.

This problem is solved for mmo games like final fantasy 14 where the console guys can modify the sizes of every HUD or window or icons in the game to suit thier eyes and the size of the tv and viewing distance from the tv, so that whether you play from console on monitor or living room tv you can still see the freakin details. (this allows no compromises between pc and console interface, and means you still retain the same amount of data onscreen no matter the version)

related:
wasteland 2 tiny fonts make playing on tv harder than high res monitor:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/132117-w ... t/72648559" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by GameHED on 25 Nov 2015 04:03 pm, edited 7 times in total.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
klee123

Post by klee123 »

Yeah, not even going to touch the PC version until next year when more fixes are out from both Bethesda and Modders.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Madmya wrote:
Rorschach wrote:
Cletus wrote:I think this will be my Summer game. One thing that struck me right away was if she's (I made a female character) looking for her son...and it's over 200 years since they went underground, how does she know what period in time her son was stolen and her husband murdered? The son could have been stolen 190 years ago...
That's almost spoiler worthy, I've read ahead...
Well fuck. Now you've turned it into a bloody spoiler you idiot.
Can I help being clever as all fuck? I was just questioning the logic of the main character in the first 15 minutes of the game. I for one have not read ahead or sought out an answer. I'll let the story tell me.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

I chose a man (and the guy that takes the baby kills the wife in front of you while you wake up)

I wish bethesda just puts a map marker for where the baby is so you just collct it. the game would make so much sense. After all you seem to know exactly where everything else is located instantly for other quests..

Perhaps the dog you meet actually ate it and in the end you find out and have to fight dogmeat for being so cruel. Sort of like the ending in double dragon where if you beat the boss in 2 player co-op, you now must kill your brother to get access to the pussy because she won't do threesomes even if you did 50 % of the work rescuing her ungrateful butt to unchain her from the gut punching thugs.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Yoshi Sonic

Post by Yoshi Sonic »

That wasn't an invitation for more spoilers. My copy is still in the Xmas cupboard.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Ok i won't talk about the ending to double dragon again
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

klee123 wrote:Yeah, not even going to touch the PC version until next year when more fixes are out from both Bethesda and Modders.
Other than a few minor controller issues (stuck in 3rd person a few times) I've had no major issues with the PC version. Probably the best Bethesda launch game in ages
Yoshi Sonic

Post by Yoshi Sonic »

GameHED wrote:Ok i won't talk about the ending to double dragon again
Ye cannae tell me pal. I've got Double Dragon in JAMMA #justsaying
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Good noob guides to base-building:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... ettlements" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

I got sidetracked into settlement building last night and I'm loving it. Cleared all the completely ruined houses in Sanctuary, got a water purifier and a genny going, laid out some beds and slipped the old junkie some crack.

The post apocalyptic future is looking sweet. The future's so bright, I gotta wear welding goggles.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Yeah I don't like the bright colour. I get it: it's 200 years. But trying to make things look bright and happy when it's a franchise about doom and gloom is just stupid. It was happy BEFORE the bombs fell and that's why it's funny because the 50s was all about optimism in the sci fi. (ie the george jetsons future where everyone is like Ned Flanders, not the 1980s "Termintor 1" vision of the future where everything broke)

Bethesda are crazy. I guess it's the same thing with the second batman begins movie where you see batman in the day. Or terminator 2 where there was no more attempt to make the robot as sneaky because it can just shapeshift so there is fewer nighttime scene.

Got my nuka cola cap today!
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Ok, this game is way better than I'd thought, and that includes visually. This is by far the cleanest looking game on console - it looks like it's super sampled. I've only made it to Red Rocket, built a beacon done some of the intro quests and I'm very pleased with my purchase. I'll have to give the pip boy app a go too. Really like the crafting system, haven't built much yet but it does look pretty cool.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

The guns aiming controls are it's biggest triumph imo. Bashing people with gun and throwing grenades (hold r1) has never been easier. Killed a deathclaw easily just by spamming grenade and minigunning it in the power armor. I wish they had a dodge button which you use to do evasive moves if you push jump button then the sneak/crouch button very quickly in sequence to do a dodge roll. (push the movement stick in direction you want to roll in to avoid an enemy melee attack. You are invincible for longer period of time during dodgeroll based on your agility stat. Much like sprinting this uses up AP and if you don't have any AP left you can't spam the dodge roll anymore, that is until the AP bar refills again. (eating some food or usig chems that regenerate this AP quickly might be a great option if there are multiple enemies) How much AP it uses is based on your endurance stat similar to sprinting. ie higher Endurance = less AP spent to dodgeroll. This move is useful for escaping explosions from grenades too. A sneaky guy can throw grenade on the floor in front of him to ward off rushing enemies who are trying to close the distance. To avoid the blast of his own grenade he can immediately dodgeroll just before it explodes to avoid it blowing up in his face just like a professional. Useful if you want to kill a deathclaw which runs fast toward you and you want the blast to push it away a bit as you shoot it while dodgerolling away. Hopefully its legs get crippled so it can't sprint toward you if you timed the move right. )

Biggest flaw of the game is giving too *much toys (power armor is introduced immediately) too early and not doing enough explaining for the base building. It's the opposite in Xenoblade lol The Skels are something that you wish you could ride in ASAP but they don't let you have it for ages into the game.

*there is interesting case that some busy people give for why skipping content can be good thing and not bad thing though
I disagree though because it means you introduce difficulty spikes in the game rather than gradual increase in challenge. Some games like megaman for example are designed with the idea that you choose the order ypurself, however that's due to designers intending it to be that way. For games where it is not designed around seeing anything you want, it ruins the flow. The reward for hard work should be an awesome gift for beating challenges that toughen you up for surviving end game content. All the best games are designed this way: the easy stuff slowly develops your skill to take on hard stuff which trains/toughens you up for even harder stuff and so on etc until you master everything. You can't just throw someone into the deep end (no time to develop skill which helps player survive future encounters) or just give them the best shit at the start of a game or else there is no incentive to do anything. Rpgs are ok though if the cpu adjusts level of enemies with your stats. However the joy of 'working your way up the ladder' is lost. (you feel like you wasted money - 'game plays itself' syndrome)
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Got this on the weekend, have never played Fallout before and just absolutely have no idea what I'm doing. I accidently worked out how to build things after trying at workbenches and getting nowhere I randomly looked right and then suddenly things started turning green so I was like ah OK.. so I'm getting there with wtf is going on but I wasn't really sure where to go or what to do from the start.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

So I now have a collection of around 6 power armour suits that I'm pimping out with different specs and paint jobs.

Moved the main story along now so that I'm doing some legit Brotherhood missions.

This game is fucking awesome.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

The crafting/base building is a great new feature. I'm glad they decided on new things besides 'improving the graphics' which we have to come expect.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

I only wear shitty raider armour, nickers and a bra.

My death animations are ace. And sexy.
pilonv1
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Agreed, power armour is for geeks

Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally