stanard
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: shimma
PSN ID: shimma1138
Steam ID: stanard

Re: Master Race gaming thread

Post by stanard »

FYI powerline adapters only work if the router and where you want the device to be are on the same circuit.

Apparently!
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

I've only encountered that problem once, when they didn't work in a Granny flat because it was on a separate circuit. But yes, you need to be on the same copper network otherwise it won't work.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

I still worry about long term failure with these AIO water cooler units, I have read some horror stories, corsair seem to cover the replacement of damaged parts but I have no idea if they do that in Australia. If they fail it can do a lot of nasty damage, the worst that can happen if an air cooler fails is your pc shuts down from overheating. I believe something like a noctua D15 cools as effectively as a H100/H105 but it's quieter, I think i'll end up putting one of those when I upgrade my cpu/mobo.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Yeah, no doubt. My only issue with Noctuas are their size, they are massive. That said, they tend to perform within a few degrees of an AIO. I have a hand me down Fractal Kelvin S24 which seems solid.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-roadmap-2017-volta-gpu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Explains why we got a titan X with GDDR5, nvidia looking to launch Volta GPUs first half next year with HBM2.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Going to rebuy Fallout 4 on PC. I have it on PS4 but I'm going to start it again playing as a woman on Master race. Getting it off eBay because it's the cheapest.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

lestat wrote:http://wccftech.com/nvidia-roadmap-2017-volta-gpu/

Explains why we got a titan X with GDDR5, nvidia looking to launch Volta GPUs first half next year with HBM2.
Read, saving already, can't wait
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

I won't be upgrading until I need to. Running all games fine currently.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

More for work for me. I spend usually 9-10 days in a row away from home. PS4 is good but want my PC library with me. Already mapping it out now with 980Ti moving into the work build along with some other components from a mate.
Kangawallaby
Netballer
XBL ID: Kangawallaby
PSN ID: Kangawallaby
Steam ID: Kangawallaby

Post by Kangawallaby »

Rorschach wrote:

Read, saving already, can't wait
Perfect timing if true. Planning on grabbing 75inch 4k TV during tye end of year sales.
2nd place is the first loser....

flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Have you got a tv in mind?
Kangawallaby
Netballer

Post by Kangawallaby »

Nah not yet. Was thinking of a Sony 93/94 or a Sammy 9 series.

Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Anyone in the Master Race want a download code for Borderlands Pre Sequel? Bought the latest Humble Bundle to get Battleborn but already have Pre Sequel.
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!
XBL ID: Burnzoire
Steam ID: Burnzoire

Post by Burnzoire »

Guys it's not going to be a 9xx -> 10xx level upgrade. They're keeping the same 16nm die for Volta (same as Pascal) instead of waiting for 10nm. Since we're already at a thermal barrier, I can't see them getting huge gains without shrinking the chip. If you're looking for a new card I wouldn't bother waiting... *pats 1080*
Kangawallaby
Netballer

Post by Kangawallaby »

Yeah I'm still flipping and flopping between buying a new tv/monitor for the lounge or a smaller one for a dedicated PC/Racing wheel gaming room.
Anyone got any feedback on buying one of these Something like this http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Moni ... oCSdfw_wcB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Bought Samsung 500GB SSD, moved a few games onto it using steam mover. Definitely noticing an improvement in loading.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Master Race gaming thread

Post by Rorschach »

Yeah, load time will decrease, no other big performance gains beside space save inside the case.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

I've been tweaking more with my 1080, trying different overclocking combinations to provide the best possible performance/stability on my card.

One thing I've noticed is that overclocking over 2ghz for stabilized clock tends to produce worse numbers, seems to be a similar situation that the ram has, you can push it higher but errors start occurring and there seems to be some ecc/error correction that's occurring that reduces performance. Right now I'm using these settings.

voltage +40%
power +120%
temp +93
core +105
mem +500

This produces a maximum boost clock of 2063 that scales down as the chip warms up, once you get to a stable temp of 69~72 the clock sits at 2ghz @ 1.05~1.062v.

Getting a firestrike graphics score of 23700 and 7700 graphics score in the DX12 benchmark, which is pretty good. My temps seem to have gotten better too, I'm guessing the thermal compound is curing a bit now.

Boost 3.0 is still very weird and the anomalies with performance going too high are an odd one, I've had to waste a lot of time to get to a point I normally find much quicker.
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

Rorschach wrote:Anyone in the Master Race want a download code for Borderlands Pre Sequel? Bought the latest Humble Bundle to get Battleborn but already have Pre Sequel.
If it isn't claimed I'll gladly take it!!!
Kangawallaby
Netballer

Post by Kangawallaby »

C'mon master racers help me out? I'm gonna get a 4k 40 inch Monitor or TV for my PC.
I'm trying to decide between these two Phillips ones http://www.displayspecifications.com/en ... on/a385341" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or a Samsung KU6000 TV.

What's better for gaming IPS or VA ?

Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!
XBL ID: Burnzoire
Steam ID: Burnzoire

Post by Burnzoire »

Unless you're playing old games, running low quality, or have a monster SLI setup, PCs aren't really ready for 4K. Downscaling = blurry mess but if you don't mind that go for it. Can't help with the models though sorry.
Kangawallaby
Netballer

Post by Kangawallaby »

I'll more than likely still play stuff at 1080p until they are ready for 4k. However I'm not gonna buy a1080p monitor in 2016.
And I'll be running a HDMI to my lounge TV as well.

Does anyone have a preference of VA vs IPS.

Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

IPS is the best for colour reproduction however response times tend to be slower. Do a quick search for IPS vs VA, some good website out there that give a good run down of each tech. I'd get a TV only because then you get dual use from it.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

You should also consider input lag. IPS will have better viewing angles as well, but VA has a contrast advantage.

I have never bought a tv online. Have you thought about buying from a store, that way you can try it/test it and might be able to exchange it for something else?

Or find a to that you like based on reviews then see if you can find a store that stocks them.
Kangawallaby
Netballer

Post by Kangawallaby »

Yeah cheers. I think I'm leaving toward VA as I'll be directly in front of it. I'll just need to decide how big I can go based on distance, TVs open that door as well as opposed to monitors.