Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Re: The retro thread

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Oh. Oh wow. Now that's an underrated soundtrack.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

It looks just beautiful too.

unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Stop it, I don't even have a record player!

...sigh...

*unzips*
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Any of you lads have a decent ROM set, particularly Saturn, PSX and PS2? Hardest part of the Odin is finding decent ROMs to load.

ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Yeah, and for Saturn, Yaba Sanshiro is really weird with which games it wants to keep in its library.

Check out Saturn.emu on the Play Store for the best emulator. Its based on Mednafen, and is basically the Retroarch "Beetle Saturn" core. Very high accuracy and compatibility. It lacks high resolution upscaling and analogue controls, which is a bit of a downer.

As for the ROM sets, archive.org is your friend here.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Yeah, bought Saturn.emu as Yaba Sanshiro is sketchy. Been poking around Internet Archive. Got a surprisingly decent MAME set but other repositories are just honeypots for viruses. Will continue to curate the best sets I can find...
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Right, I'm no longer tripping..just saw this on Facebook, PS3 and Xbox 360 collecting definitely seems to be the latest thing now. Due to affordability I'd say but it means hold on to those games, might have a payday once the neck beards ramp this up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I'm not selling any of my 360 games - it was the last time we wwere guaranteed to actually get the full playable game on the disc!
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

I kind of regret selling my Dreamcast and Gamecube collections, had some bangers in there - Skies of Arcadia Legends, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Grandia 2, Shenmue 2 plus a whole bunch of others. My 360 and PS3 collections are still here collecting dusk. Will hold on to them until they are worth something. I have my OG Xbox 360 with a 120gig HDD with Marvel vs Capcom 2 still installed on it. Just waiting for that drive to die...
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Any of you guys seen this? It's a physical Saturn motherboard to create "new" sega saturns and then you use the Saroo rom loader cartridge. It's pretty well priced and seems alright?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006 ... nav-review
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Hmmm. I did see Saroo come up in my feed but I didn't read it.

It's a good idea if you're into preserving your collection and no longer touching it.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Also I refuse to believe 360 collections will be valuable. Prove me wrong kids, prove me wrong.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Madmya wrote: 21 Apr 2024 10:54 am Also I refuse to believe 360 collections will be valuable. Prove me wrong kids, prove me wrong.
I had the same thought but now I keep getting suggested stuff on youtube, facebook etc of these people hunting for like ps3 and 360 games. one dude was trying to get the ps3 collection of Fifas I think it was from CES. Why? Then he was also excited they were like 3 - 5 pounds..
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Madmya wrote: 21 Apr 2024 10:54 am Hmmm. I did see Saroo come up in my feed but I didn't read it.

It's a good idea if you're into preserving your collection and no longer touching it.
I think the cool bit is the new hardware? I think it's new hardware or they are getting old ones and recasing them?
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Froggy wrote: 21 Apr 2024 10:58 am
Madmya wrote: 21 Apr 2024 10:54 am Hmmm. I did see Saroo come up in my feed but I didn't read it.

I think the cool bit is the new hardware? I think it's new hardware or they are getting old ones and recasing them?
Mmm no loading times... that's cool. Get one and report back :lol:
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

It looks like old hardware to me. It doesn't even look like the motherboard has been modified beyond just removing the CD drive. A new motherboard would be a shit-tonne of work for such a niche market, especially given the two VDP chips are entirely proprietary..

I watched another video about the Saroo a few days ago. It looks like a bit of a mess to be honest. If I still had a Saturn, I'd go with the one that slots into the MPEG slot.

I'm still holding out for Analogue to do FPGA Saturn & PSX models (or even a combined model??). Given that the MiSTer has working cores for those machines now, and that Analogue have an optical drive machine, surely they can't be that far off...
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Gotta agree with unfunk on this. Would rather just buy another Saturn and mod it with everything that's already available.