Microsoft tries to salvage HD-DVD fuckup, demos addon

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

There really is no point in getting a ps3 in november.
Except for the exclusive games and BluRay output.

I'm personally looking forward to having a 60 gig HDD, it is absolutely retarded that MS still hasn't even released an upgrade for the 360 one, I'm constantly running out of disk space and I haven't even put my music collection on there.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

what games are you buying at launch?
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

exclusives like motorstorm and resistance are reason enough? :lol:

seriously come november you're paying 1k to be a sony beta tester, no thanks.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

exclusive = qualerty :)
mech

Post by mech »

lestat wrote:exclusives like motorstorm and resistance are reason enough? :lol:

seriously come november you're paying 1k to be a sony beta tester, no thanks.
You're revealing your bias. 360 launch was shocking for problems and "beta testing", both for hardware and software. Launch titles weren't that amazing. But who cares? It was still great. PS3 launch is looking solid if not spectacular, much like the 360 launch. If you want to bag out certain aspects of the Sony launch, fine, but let's try and not be hypocritical hey? ;)
Sonic Jam
Hates Gaming. FORUM PARADOX!

Post by Sonic Jam »

Resistance is shaping up pretty damn awesome, that's the game I'm looking forward to.

40 players online!
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

mech wrote: You're revealing your bias. 360 launch was shocking for problems and "beta testing", both for hardware and software. Launch titles weren't that amazing. But who cares? It was still great. PS3 launch is looking solid if not spectacular, much like the 360 launch. If you want to bag out certain aspects of the Sony launch, fine, but let's try and not be hypocritical hey? ;)
To be honest my 360 has gone great, I’m glad I got a Samsung drive instead of the Hitachi in the first batch units. I think compared to the US we have fewer issues and even now 3-6months after our launch you get amazing bundles and units don’t skip a beat. Our launch was in that late beta window and it pays to wait a bit, especially since these machines are so much more complex than ever. I’m not biased in saying that buying the first batch of ps3’s with a totally new 1st gen optical drive technology is definitely going to see problems. Optical drives generally are the biggest sources of failure in consoles.

As for software mech, I’ve never had as much to play and fun as I have had with the 360 launch, if that’s bias so sue me, but I don’t see anything on the ps3 launch lineup that says me hey take a chance on a first gen unit and slap over 1k for it. Also considering jap launch playstations in the past have a good track record for hardware faults. I’ll no doubt end up with a ps3, just not in any hurry for one. But obviously your own bias thinks it’s worth taking that chance.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

It kind of says something when you have to hope and pray for a specific brand of drive because a couple of the tray loaded OTS brands they use in Microsoft consoles are just that fucking dodgy.

Personally I've never had my top loaded Gamecube or PS2 absolutely molest my disc.
Sonic Jam

Post by Sonic Jam »

YOUR machine might have been ok Lestat but there was quite a few aussies with problems, I remember on PN there was a thread about it and tons of people had issues including me (went through 3 360's).

Don't fool yourself into thinking even 5 months later that the 360 didn't have loads of issues, as far as beta testing goes the machine even now after a dashboard update locks up all the time when you do too much stuff with the dashboard while in a game (happens to people on my list all the time with various games like cod2/doa4/etc).
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Well there you go. You would think an established tech DVD drive would work no matter who the OEM was. Are the Hitachi's actually that bad or are they just noisy suckers?
Sonic Jam

Post by Sonic Jam »

Hitachi is actualy a better drive imo, I had Samsung in my first 2 and they caused me loads of trouble.

Hitachi is loud as all fk but never sounds like it's scatching the shit out of my discs which my Samsungs did.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

I only had issues with my Samsung during Oblivion when it sounded like it was carving it's name in the disc once in a while. There were no marks on the disc though. Otherwise my Samsung drive has been great.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

It kind of says something when you have to hope and pray for a specific brand of drive because a couple of the tray loaded OTS brands they use in Microsoft consoles are just that fucking dodgy.

Personally I've never had my top loaded Gamecube or PS2 absolutely molest my disc.
GC discs are too small to wobble in the first place talez you moron for them to be scratced in rotation. And ps2's also had scratch problems big time when they first came out. Also I wish sony would use another provider for their drives, because my slim line ps2 can't read a lot of discs for shit. Nice replacement for a launch ps2 that died all together.
Sonic Jam

Post by Sonic Jam »

If last gen consoles and their lifespan is relevant lets take a look at the XBOX.

My launch aussie XBOX which once again was released about 5 months after it was in the US, hasn't been able to read discs in years.

I hacked it up and use it exclusively as a media box now and every couple weeks its fans seem to get louder and it crashes more often ><
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2

Post by Talez »

lestat wrote:GC discs are too small to wobble in the first place talez you moron for them to be scratced in rotation.
The discs are almost bolted in there as well. They holding mechanism on the gamecube is fucking ingenious.
And ps2's also had scratch problems big time when they first came out.
And the first model PS2s used... tray loaded drives!
Also I wish sony would use another provider for their drives, because my slim line ps2 can't read a lot of discs for shit. Nice replacement for a launch ps2 that died all together.
Oh anecdotal evidence coming out of lestat. BIG SUPRISE THERE :rolleyes:

Well my anecdotal evidence is that I haven't had a problem reading any disc whatsoever (and I use my PS2 as a DVD player for my projector so it goes through quite a few video DVDs as well). So if you're having that big a problem may I suggest RMAing the unit?
mech

Post by mech »

I love this.
But obviously your own bias thinks it’s worth taking that chance.
I'm biased for getting all 3 next-gen consoles on launch. Priceless! :lol:
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

You should pimp your ride with the Wii!
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2

Post by Talez »

mech wrote:I love this.
But obviously your own bias thinks it’s worth taking that chance.
I'm biased for getting all 3 next-gen consoles on launch. Priceless! :lol:
Not toeing the "party line" is biased.

Haven't you worked that out yet? :D
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

I'm biased for getting all 3 next-gen consoles on launch. Priceless!
So you bought a US 360 then? Or you got your psp at jap launch too then? That was my point mech, traditionally we got shit here later and usually the problems were sorted out before it arrived on our shores. We know you have a soft spot for playstations and don't mind the risk.
Oh anecdotal evidence coming out of lestat. BIG SUPRISE THERE rolleyes

Well my anecdotal evidence is that I haven't had a problem reading any disc whatsoever (and I use my PS2 as a DVD player for my projector so it goes through quite a few video DVDs as well). So if you're having that big a problem may I suggest RMAing the unit?
We already know your anecdotal evidence moron, cause you were the first to introduce it into the converstation, I think we've all seen those reliability test videos which show the ps2's in a bad light. :rolleyes:
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2

Post by Talez »

lestat wrote: We already know your anecdotal evidence moron, cause you were the first to introduce it into the converstation, I think we've all seen those reliability test videos which show the ps2's in a bad light. :rolleyes:
Actually mine was to do with molesting the discs. Yours brought reading problems to the conversation. I realise you're often a little behind but try to keep up :D
Sonic Jam

Post by Sonic Jam »

My US 360 has far less issues than my PAL 360.

Hitachi drive on that too -_-

Also my Japanese launch PSP didn't have the square button problem, I think that was a VERY limited problem as I know a few people who have machines from that launch without the problem.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Yes talez for the 3rd time we already know, since you haven't had a disc molested it must never ever happen, we get it. :rolleyes:
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2

Post by Talez »

Awwww. It's OK. I know it must be hard when everyone else gets things the first time round.

Would you like me to start PMing you posts I have to repeat for your benefit so you don't get all embarassed? :D
pilonv1
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Gamecube discs are less likely to have scratches because they are also less likely to be used.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

:lol: :fight :lol:
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/106445.png[/IMG]