Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Re: Rate the last game you finished

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Pat wrote:Re DR2: Would you say elf that the sequel is a good place to start for someone who sucked at the first one?
For sure. A lot more accessible in terms of difficulty. Even though you 'sucked at the first one', did you enjoy what you saw of it? Did you like the way the game was structured?

I ask because i've seen this question asked on other forums: 'I hated Dead Rising, will I like Dead Rising 2?' and the answer to that question is a clear NO.
RIGHTEOUS FURY
Pat
The Fury

Post by Pat »

To be honest I didnt put enough time into it. Love the concept, didnt really have any problems with it that are based on actual experience.

So in that respect I am neutral on it. Just need to work out 'how' to play it.

Zombies are cool though, so it seems to me its the kind of game that lends itself to multiple play styles.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Finished a few titles recently:

Halo: Reach - Nuff has been said in the Halo thread, I thought it was awesome. 9/10

NSMB Wii - Finally got all the star coins and knocked this over solo, also played to about midway through World 6 multiplayer before things got frustratingly crowded. Still really impressed with the MP element, and love the level design and music. A great entry into the series, and another 9/10.

Professor Layton & Pandora's Box - Smashed this last night upon realising the next game's out very soon. Puzzles are varied and every bit as compelling as The Curious Village, and the overall structure of the game meant less backtracking. Hamster minigame was excellent, much more engaging than piecing together the robotic dog. Story-wise I loved the characters and animations, but it gets pretty far-fetched at the end. TCV had a pretty out-there ending, but this pips it. The resolution to the murder seemed very tacked on. Further, some of the end-game puzzles seemed to be there purely to lengthen the game, repeating the same puzzle type and even location image. Loved the illustrations during the credits though, finished things off nicely. 8/10.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Rate the last game you finished

Post by BruceCamblzChin »

Just finished the first Silent Hill, had never played it before and as I think of myself as a survival/horror fan I felt I needed to play it.

Playing now it suffers from us being treated to the nice graphics of this gen coz it is a ps1 game.

Gameplay was bang on however, Harry Mason is not a super soldier and you never have enough ammo or health which adds to the urgency of everything. Music is fantastic, sound effects add a great atmoss.

Story was suitably confusing for a Silent Hill game, it reminds me of a David Lynch filtered thru like The Exorcist or something. I didn't feel it was superior to number 2 which would have to be one of my all time best games.

Loved it though, stoked to have played thru it, has got me excited about dog silent hill 2 now but I have just started resi 4 coz I never played that back in the day either!

Silent Hill gets 8 air raid sirens out of 10.
Corey
Immersion Patent Expert

Post by Corey »

Heavy Rain - loved it. Sadly everyone died.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Just finished Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA game but on my ds)

I never actually had time to play it before despite how great this title is and halfway through a savegame I forgot all the little abilities needed to get around so I started all over again and played it as if it were a new title. With mind focused on the one thing and determined to complete it I finally managed to get all abilities, fill up the monster menu with all the data (what drop items monsters leave) and max out my character to lvl 99 and make everything my bitch. (35hours of backtracking exploring every wall and trying to get past the puzzles to see everything) Got all 3 endings, unlocked boss rsh mode, unlocked sound mode, unlocked julius code, etc and I feel very satisfied.

Although I prefer the controls of the latest metroidvania (OOE button mashing combos) this game holds quite well over time and is funner to play on the ds (I didn't have the gba with a backlight model).
It just falls under the problem of one thing:
when you get powerful enough and you collect so many abilities (more than you know what to do with) you feel like the game doesn't offer a 2nd generation of monsters to defeat by making you fight tougher versions of them the way diablo did, so that you can have fun kicking their butts with your overpowered weapons. Yes there is a harder difficulty but you are just fighting the same ones not modified ones.

What I'd like to see is a thing where monsters get stronger the more powerful you are so that when you come back to an old room you won't see the weak ones there anymore but a modified version of the same thing with higher-level stats in order to make the fighting more interesting. It's a problem I think that could easily be changed by doing the old pallete swap trick and adding variations in attack patters so that you can have layers of enemies attacking together to keep you from getting to the other side of the room or making it hard for you to ignore them and rush to the exit. (it would also make stealth more important too)

This is something they do in survival horror games where you could go back to an old room you already explored and the time of day might have changed or something like that and a monster might come out of nowhere after you least expect it (because you thought it was cleared or the monsters there were weak)
It would give a good excuse for a player to make use of all the abilities they collected rather than have them ignore the abilities altogether and only use their fave ones.

I am now playing a "new game +" on hard, (you get to keep your collected abilities) then I will play ordinary hard(fresh game), and then play as julius belmont.

After I'm finished with this I need to play the GBA megaman zero titles, (still haven't touched the MMZ collection yet) minish cap (one of the zeldas I missed out on for GBA) and zx advent. Lots of handheld stuff still got to get through. Been playing handheld games lately because they are so easy to jump right into and jump right out of.

It was mainly those longer handheld games that I didn't managed to complete properly in the past that I'm determined to get through now, as what happened then was that I would start a game, play it halfway through, and then forget about it for months and have to comeback to it again but forgetting what I did, causing me to reset. This time was different and I would promise myself to continue until its all done. I don't like to leave a game only completed halfway.

I'm looking forward to the next okami game on nintendo DS too. It's a shame nobody here plays portables anymore. This sequel better fucking sell! Capcoms zelda-killer and nobody gave a shit when it came out on ps2 FFS :(

Anyway if you still play old but good side scroller rpg adventure titles this would get a solid 8 out of 10.

It's not quite as good as OOE in terms of how you kil bosses (the fights in that just feel more epic for some reason because of the dramatic way some of them die) but it's older so I can go easier on it.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Pat
The Fury

Post by Pat »

Corey wrote:Heavy Rain - loved it. Sadly everyone died.
Youre doing it wrong!

Really though - everyone? Must have been a pretty depressing ending.
Corey
Immersion Patent Expert

Post by Corey »

Yep, everyone. Except the killer that is.
Pat
The Fury

Post by Pat »

Wow. Thats like the No Country for Old Men ending.
KillKen
lazy
XBL ID: KillKen

Post by KillKen »

Played Medal of honor. Single player was good fun, liked the guns and game play but MP is like a different game. when it's not continuously kicking you out the guns feel shit and is basically BFBC2. You can tell the MP was done by a different company (Dice). Anyway game's going back Monday.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Halo: Reach - GOTY

Sonic 4 - Wasn't bad, Wasn't great. jumping physics were a little whack I think precise jumping was thrown off by the need to hold the stick to no stop dead in the air. Once you get over the stupid starting to walk/jog animation it isn't earth shattering. I didn't run into any of the dodgyness seen in the Youtube vids but then I wasn't being a sad old fan going out of my way to hate the game.

- Special stages cool and in fitting with classic sonic
- Childhood remains abused but not raped.

I give it 6.75 out of 10 physics mishaps
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Dragon Quest 9 - 7/10

Wow, what a long hard slog that was.

The bad: Continuity issues with the game design and story, some terrible sub-plots - just horrible, ridiculous NPC dialogue chains required to continue in the game that I would never have got without referring to gamefaqs, terrible grinding required towards the end, such a dark and depressing story - so much death and destruction.

The good: Technically the DS's highpoint - really quality stuff for the platform, great overworld, some really nice dungeon and monster design, depth - so much to do - and a lot of it is interesting, some really good quality storytelling and some great sub-plots (strangely inconsistent).

Despite all the depressing death and destruction, the jolly old DQ music just keeps pumping on.
dodo do do, do do, dooooooo
dede de de, de de, deeeeeee

So, is the DS nearly done? Okamiden, Golden Sun and Pokemon Black/White to round it out and shut up shop?
RIGHTEOUS FURY
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

Comic Jumper

I admit to having a soft spot for this game, I really love the idea of playing through different comic books, the main characters appearance changes to suit, the whole look changes, and there's scenes where the scene kind of zooms out to reveal a window, captain smiley will fly out of it and into another window and you continue in a different area... it looks awesome.

I think it's very funny all the way through too, I honestly haven't laugh so much in a game since maybe GTA3 or earthworm jim.
Voice acting is bang on too, couldn't be better, really funny stuff.

sounds great? 9 or 10?
FUCK NO!

Unfortunately the gameplay fucking STINKS!
most of it consists of moving forward, a bunch of enemies jump out, do your best to shoot them (most enemies are bullet sponges) while avoiding projectiles and grabbing baddies, rince and repeat a hundred times... then hang of some pipes and do the same a hundred times, every now and then there's a horrible 3rd person section which has you move a large crossheir over enemies as they throw projectiles at you, and there was a few beat em up scenes where you simply mash X or A if you need to strike both ways.

no imagination AT ALL, it's really simple stuff made hard thanks to how much damage the enemies take and how many enemies are thrown at you, it's so fucking basic, to thought gone into level design.

If it wasn't presented so well, and wasn't so funny, there is NO WAY I would play through it... it was a fucking chore.
but i'm glad I did, I actually enjoyed it still.

i'm giving it 5 enemployed villains out of 10

and as a bonus... here's captain smiley's ringtone, i'm using it's so awesome I don't want to answer my phone!
http://traffic.libsyn.com/retroforcego/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ngTone.mp3
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

General Chaos wrote: Sonic 4 - I didn't run into any of the dodgyness seen in the Youtube vids but then I wasn't being a sad old fan going out of my way to hate the game.
I lol'd
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Rocket Knight Adventure: XBLA - almost*... I suck!

Game is rad. Good old fun platformer with plenty of variety. Jumping, shooting, puzzles, side scrolling shooter sections, tempo changes and boss fights tied together with good old classic Rocket Knight gameplay.

The music score is better than Sonic 4's (not hard) and general gameplay was more than compelling enough to play through, it gets a lot more involved than what the demo lets on (almost*).

I'm going to give it 8 launched possums out of 10

*Almost: I did not finish the game because it seems I burnt through too many of my continues when I was drinking the other night and I died on the final boss. GAME OVER oh yeah old school! Looks like I will be doing it all again unless I can somehow finish via free play. Too many softcore games have weakened Chaos's platforming abilities!
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!
XBL ID: Burnzoire
Steam ID: Burnzoire

Post by Burnzoire »

the possum lord can see into the future
the possum lord can see your future life
the possum lord will go into the future
and have sex with your wife
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Does this mean you have finished Possum Launcher five?
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!
XBL ID: Burnzoire
Steam ID: Burnzoire

Post by Burnzoire »

lol no, I made a quick test of a basic shape jumping around. Will get to it eventually!
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Will it be for the iPhone?
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

nup he should launch it for Windows Phone7 so we can get achievements
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

Game Dev Story for iPhone. Just fucking buy it, it's cheaper than crack and just as addictive.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

I like 'cheevments...
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Halo: Reach - top game. 9/10. Enjoyed it from start to finish. Graphics, sound, gameplay - it's the full package.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

AND you played it on normal, I'm impressed!
mech

Post by mech »

I generally play everything on normal difficulty, don't have the patience for playing on harder difficulties...