The retro thread

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Re: The retro thread

Post by Hercy »

I looked at this back when it was available for pre-order and thought "wow, that's pretty expensive (US$190), so I didn't bother getting one.

Now that it's been released, I caved and went to buy it. But shipping is US$90!

I think that US$280 for this thing is really beyond what it's worth.

I'll probably order one next week.
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

Candy Arse wrote:
unfnknblvbl wrote:I'll just leave this here, shall I?

http://www.analogue.co/mega-sg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It shipped over night! Fed Ex International which will mean nothing thanks to Easter, so I would think next weekend I'm playing it at the earliest.
Looking at buying one to play all mega drive games through SD card, but if I wanted to play some of my carts (Aussie mega drive games) which version do I buy? USA? Japan? Europe?
And also, how’s the emulation on it? 6 button controller any good?
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Buy whichever one you want, it runs them all.

The emulation...well it doesn't feel like emulation at all, it feels like you're playing on a MegaDrive...only in beautiful 1080p.

If you value playing MD/MCD/SMS games in the best possible way, this is it right now.
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

Candy Arse wrote:Buy whichever one you want, it runs them all.

The emulation...well it doesn't feel like emulation at all, it feels like you're playing on a MegaDrive...only in beautiful 1080p.

If you value playing MD/MCD/SMS games in the best possible way, this is it right now.
Easy to set up the SD card with roms? I was going to wait for the mini mega drive but this sounds too good to pass up.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Well that's the benefit of using a FPGA, it's hardware emulation of the old hardware, with deterministic timing and performance like real hardware.

I've done some FPGA development at work, it's pretty cool stuff but the great thing is how deterministic the performance is, your development is done with clock cycles in mind, you know exactly how many clocks your module block will take and build a system around that, cpus are very erratic in performance due to a lot of cache/pipeline tricks they have.

FPGAs are usually used for asic prototyping and it's used quite a lot in the financial space for automated trading, because of the low latency deterministic performance characteristics. So it's kinda novel to see it used in the emulator space here, since they generally aren't cheap.
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

I had forgotten why I'd asked which version to buy- I have Aussie mega drive carts. Will they run on any of these consoles, or do I need the UK console?
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

They'll run on whatever console you get. I've been playing Genesis games on my UK SG.

The SD card process is as brain-dead as you could want - flash with the jailbreak firmware on one SD card, then stick in an SD card with the roms and away you go.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

lestat wrote:

Well that's the benefit of using a FPGA, it's hardware emulation of the old hardware, with deterministic timing and performance like real hardware.

I've done some FPGA development at work, it's pretty cool stuff but the great thing is how deterministic the performance is, your development is done with clock cycles in mind, you know exactly how many clocks your module block will take and build a system around that, cpus are very erratic in performance due to a lot of cache/pipeline tricks they have.

FPGAs are usually used for asic prototyping and it's used quite a lot in the financial space for automated trading, because of the low latency deterministic performance characteristics. So it's kinda novel to see it used in the emulator space here, since they generally aren't cheap.
It's fucken exciting stuff in action because it feels like you're playing the real thing, it just looks and sounds better than ever.

Only drawback so far especially with the Super NT is that certain special SNES games (Mario Kart, Yoshi's Island, StarFox etc) won't run via ROM an in the case of Mario Kart the original game does run but you can see some glitches.
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

Candy Arse wrote:They'll run on whatever console you get. I've been playing Genesis games on my UK SG.

The SD card process is as brain-dead as you could want - flash with the jailbreak firmware on one SD card, then stick in an SD card with the roms and away you go.
You’ve sold me on it! I have Mega Drive games but never owned a Mega Drive myself (games are my uncles). I’ve played a heap of roms on my snes mini but I want the authentic experience. Take long for shipping?
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

So I ordered the UK version of this beast and hopefully arrives real soon! I have my mega drive controller here with some games to play, but will take Mr Candy's advice and get a tonne of games onto an SD card and play the shit out of this thing!
I also saw one of the youtube videos showing Coleco games being played on there as well! Ladybug here I come!!!
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Once it ships you'll get it in under a week. Fed Ex doesn't fuck around.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Excuse the ignorance, but this can play actual carts of SMS and MD?
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Yes.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Vince wrote:And also, how’s the emulation on it?
It's not really emulation, per se - it's more like a hardware reimplementation. By all reports, it's 100% accurate - right down to hardware bugs that most emulators don't implement.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

So now my question is, where is the best place to buy mega drive/genesis games? I will download the roms but want physical versions
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

So, anyone know how to play Coleco games on this thing? I have the ROMs loaded up but trying to find a bios is impossible unless someone knows where to find it...
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Pre ordered the Sega Mega Drive mini thing that's coming out in September today. Couldn't help myself with it being an official Sega console I had to get it.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/11/1866 ... ced-konami" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Japanese version, PC Engine confirmed to have Dracula X, that expensive and rare Castlevania game.

Loved Ninja Spirits. Irem were on a roll in the end of the 80s.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Is it expensive and rare on PSP too, cos I have that version?
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Thought that was a different version?
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Ambrose Burnside
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

The game also includes the original PC Engine Super CD-ROM² version of Castlevania: Rondo of Blood as well as a port of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and even Akumajyo Dracula Peke. Each of these additional games cannot be accessed right from the beginning, and have to be unlocked first by meeting certain requirements in the main game before they can actually be played. Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles represents the first time that Castlevania: Rondo of Blood has been officially released outside of Japan.
It actually does seem to go for a decent price on eBay too!
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

New flashcart for the Megadrive also implements the MegaCD in FPGA.

It's very tempting, although expensive...

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/06/ ... -it-works/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

My Japanese Megadrive Mini allowed up today. I had to get that one since I can't handle the 3-button pads at all.

It's great. The d-pads are a little mushy, but the controllers work on PC, so that's nice. The emulation is spot-on, as you'd expect from M2. I kinda wish it had a real headphone jack though.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

unfnknblvbl wrote:New flashcart for the Megadrive also implements the MegaCD in FPGA.

It's very tempting, although expensive...

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/06/ ... -it-works/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just ordered this! :aussie:
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Funningly enough, when you look at the cost of retro hardware online especially the Sega/mega-CD this cost is pretty good. I just happened to be looking last night as I've been playing my Mega Drive mini a bit and I started thinking about MegaCD games I never got to play and on to Ebay I went, those prices are still insane. So what's the cost in AU at the moment for one of these?

I was also wondering last night if we will see official mini Saturns/DCs soon?
Vzzzbx, you lose again!