Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Re: Xbox (Series X)

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Phil Spencer definitely one of the more positive forces among top decision makers in this modern gaming industry. Not only convincing MS to stick with XBox but then proceeds to open the platform up to its great benefit.
It seemed like a good time to ask that question. Spencer was facing a lot of internal scrutiny from his own team. Many developers who had worked on the Xbox One felt let down by Microsoft's big vision; it was, as some told Spencer, not in line with "the soul" of what Xbox was. "Satya [Satya Nadella - Microsoft CEO] was transparent that there could be a future where gaming isn't a business that Microsoft should be in," Spencer told me. "But it's better to have it above the table than below the table, right?" Spencer tried to work out what to say to Nadella. He looked at where Xbox had failed, and how the brand could be saved--if at all. When he finally called Nadella back, it was to say this: "If we're going to stay in the gaming space, then let's make sure we're all-in. The last thing I wanted to do was run the gaming organization here as kind of an afterthought of the company and kind of half-in, half-out. Let's go fix who we are."
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/phil- ... 0-6468846/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

From the github leak,

PS5 9.2 TF (36CU @ 2000mhz)

XSX 12.2 TF (56CU @ 1700mhz)

As I somewhat expected, MS don't want a repeat of the xbox one power fiasco, they're going balls to wall for performance.

We'll know more details at CES apparently.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

I wonder at this point if specs are locked down.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Does hardware matter that much any more? Suspect the next gen will be won and lost on exclusive games and online services
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Xbox (Series X)

Nice clock on the PS5 spec. That's a big, expensive chip for XSX if accurate. Both manufacturers not mucking around.
Last edited by Peppermint Lounge on 31 Dec 2019 03:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

flipswitch wrote:I wonder at this point if specs are locked down.
At this point both processors would be somewhat finalized and taped out, I believe developers are just getting almost final dev kits now.

Next 3-6 months will be fixing bugs, optimizing drivers/dev kits and then they'll be sampling chip yields to determine final clocks

So at this point things that can change are clock speeds +/- 10%, memory speeds/size if prices drop for faster GDDR6(16gbps/18gbps) they can just use faster memory or higher capacity modules and storage size.

This is why formal specs should be announced by feb/march, by then they'll have a good idea on final system clocks.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Knowing Microsoft, they'll do all this good work, then do something retarded like price themselves out of contention :run:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

I thought they’re launching more than one console. The expensive one and a cheaper, less powerful model?
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

flipswitch wrote:I thought they’re launching more than one console. The expensive one and a cheaper, less powerful model?
Sounds like the 360 launch all over again. All the pro models sold out, shitty arcades left with no hdd.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

All that power won't mean shit if no one is buying them. Pricing is more important than specs.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

How much are we willing to pay for a console?

I think I would go up to $800.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

$600, max. Only console I've paid more for was the original PSOne.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

What I’m more looking forward to than teraflops is the new super fast SSD, that will eliminate load times ( or reduce them considerably) and all that nasty pop up and LOD changes we see all the time.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Rorschach wrote:$600, max. Only console I've paid more for was the original PSOne.
Well, considering inflation, you've probably paid a solid amount more than that for your PSX.

I dunno, most people seem to buy an expensive phone every 2 years, why can you not expect people to pay a similar price for a console every 4-6 years?
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Rorschach wrote:$600, max. Only console I've paid more for was the original PSOne.
$600-700 is the max, more than that and honestly you're just better off going PC.
Ambrose Burnside

Yeah, $600-$650 for a Series X, $400-$450 for a Series S.

But it also depends on what Sony do. If the PS5 (which I'll assume is roughly comparable to the Series X) is $500, then Microsoft will have to match or they're farked. Again.
Madmya wrote:I dunno, most people seem to buy an expensive phone every 2 years, why can you not expect people to pay a similar price for a console every 4-6 years?
Most people don't buy their phones outright though? Especially if they're buying the latest iPhone or Galaxy or Pixel? I do buy mine outight, but I tend to go with midrange every time (max ~$450).

Also a mental thing I guess, I know I will grab a bottle of Coke or whatever without thinking twice, but agonise forever over a 99c app or Steam bargain :lol:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Ah yes, Microsoft are also bringing in the non-outright option as well though.

The 360 launched for $650, do we really believe that it's beyond the pale to ask for a higher price, 14 years later?
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Madmya wrote:
Well, considering inflation, you've probably paid a solid amount more than that for your PSX.

I dunno, most people seem to buy an expensive phone every 2 years, why can you not expect people to pay a similar price for a console every 4-6 years?
I spent $750 at the time for a PSX so now that would be $1,307.31. Never made that error again. Phones are a different proposition - you don't have to choose the most expensive one when there are cheaper options that do effectively the same thing. Consoles have always traditionally sold at a loss and Sony was really the first company to inflate the price of the hardware to offset the cost of manufacturing. One of the main reasons I never bought a PS2 at launch.

With the current generation I picked up a PS4 for $500 from memory. That is a very reasonable price for a new console considering the amount of money Sony has made off me purchasing games and PSN Plus subscriptions over the life of the console. If the Xbox X, especially, is north of $700 I'll just wait for a price drop.
Ambrose Burnside

Madmya wrote:The 360 launched for $650, do we really believe that it's beyond the pale to ask for a higher price, 14 years later?
Yes.

How did the higher price PS3 fare against the $650 Xbox 360?
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Man I paid top dollar for my PSone, $800,but not as much as $1000 for my Goldstar 3DO.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

I'd go to $799 I reckon if the specs are really good. I felt ripped off at launch of the xbox one because it was the first time I came home and was completely underwhelmed and I didn't pick up a PS4 until the Pro. I happily parted with about $530 for an xbox one x with 4 games, plugging that in should have been the experience I had with the original xbone this gen, it's a fantastic upgrade. I don't know how I did playing Forza 3 with the huge wait lists and then when I tried to play Forza 4 it was 1min race loads + 20 - 30s load times between each post race screen and seemed to always lag me at in multi. If they didn't do an upgrade I'd have smashed the first one by now.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

t0mby wrote:
flipswitch wrote:I thought they’re launching more than one console. The expensive one and a cheaper, less powerful model?
Sounds like the 360 launch all over again. All the pro models sold out, shitty arcades left with no hdd.
Only worse, because it'll be a completely differently specced machine. What the fuck are they thinking, that devs won't target the most common denominator? MS have been taking a hammer to the very core ideas of console gaming these past few generations. Mandatory installs, crazy DRM schemes, reserved power for useless addons, no fixed hardware targets...
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Mavy
XBL ID: Mavy
PSN ID: iwantalogin

Post by Mavy »

More worrying is the spec gap between the S & X series with the S rumoured to be only 4TF. You'd think they'd make the current X the base.

If there is only one PS5 model and it's twice as powerful and pretty close to the price. Why would anyone buy the S model? Which could then mean people just get a PS5 and skip the xbox altogether.
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

Shit, I paid $1000 for the PS2 only to have it die on me on launch day! Got a replacement from EB that day after much arguing believe it or not!
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Vince wrote:Shit, I paid $1000 for the PS2
PS3? I paid $1k for PS3 at launch. PS2 launch price was $749 I recall.