XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Re: Xbox 720p and PS4fps

Post by lestat »

Close enough for DF to mistake it for 1080p in the first place. ;)

Dat dynamic resolution scaling. :nana:
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

Everyone can notice the lower resolution
[Click to see hidden content]
After reading the DF article
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

It amaz d me that after slowing the video down significantly AND zooming in they finally noticed the dynamic resolution. And don't get me started on those morons on Neogaf who pretty much did the same thing. Those dumb fucking Sony fanboys
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Yeah, fuck 'em. :lol:
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

Its hilarious... first page of the thread about this topic is a bunch of people saying shot like "I thought something was up, the screenshots looked kinda blurry".

At least they can stop crying foul about a parity clause now :lol:
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

jizzlobber wrote:Its hilarious... first page of the thread about this topic is a bunch of people saying shot like "I thought something was up, the screenshots looked kinda blurry".

At least they can stop crying foul about a parity clause now :lol:
I loved all the crying about intentional "parity". :lol:

These guys need a clue, if you're that concerned about those details you're on the wrong platform in the first place.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Smelly ballsack & the vampire lestat lamenting Sony fanboys who 'need a clue' because they took their seats aboard the resolution train. Seriously the amount of resolution and cross platform shit you've flung at Sony over the years. Finally they get to fling some back. Unless it's because you've taken their previously held seats aboard the 'it-looks-as-good-so-who-cares-if-it's-a-hack' train.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

Yeah and SDF always stood strong... It's all good!
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Ars with the PS4 vs XB1 sales latest. In summary, XB1 is selling well relative to last gen and easily exceeds what's needed to be a prosperous platform, it's just that PS4 is a runaway sales machine and is emulating PS2 levels of success.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/02/s ... -holidays/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W
XBL ID: CLETUS IS A CUNT!
PSN ID: LESTAT IS A CUNT!

Post by Jasper »

Oh, please! :roll:

Do you know that Splatoon (a brand spanking new IP that's a kiddy looking FPS for the Wii U) has OUTSOLD fucking Halo 5 (and not by a little, but by well over a million copies). :shock:

In fact Super Mario Maker (a 2D platformer creator application for the Wii U that cost Nintendo chump change to develop amongst probably a handful of rookie developers in under a month) is just 15K units behind Halo 5's total copies sold. :redface:

Likewise Mario Kart 8 alone has DOUBLED the COMBINED sales for Forza 5, Forza 6, and Forza Horizon 2! :shock:

Wii U games like Super Smash Bros. U have OUTSOLD practically every massive XB1 third party game (Grand Theft Auto V, Fallout 4, Destiny, Titanfall, etc).

The XB1 is as much of a flop as the Wii U - but at least Wii U games actually sell! 8)
cloud
Hard Cun...too much?
Hard Cun...too much?
XBL ID: ACE VENCLOUDY
PSN ID: ACEVENCLOUDY

Post by cloud »

Who plays 3rd party games on xbone?
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

I assume 99% of xbots, considering 99% of games on XB1 are multiplatform. :redface:
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

cloud wrote:Who plays 3rd party games on xbone?
People whose only other games machine is a Wii U.
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

Jasper wrote:Oh, please! :roll:

Do you know that Splatoon (a brand spanking new IP that's a kiddy looking FPS for the Wii U) has OUTSOLD fucking Halo 5 (and not by a little, but by well over a million copies). :shock:

In fact Super Mario Maker (a 2D platformer creator application for the Wii U that cost Nintendo chump change to develop amongst probably a handful of rookie developers in under a month) is just 15K units behind Halo 5's total copies sold. :redface:

Likewise Mario Kart 8 alone has DOUBLED the COMBINED sales for Forza 5, Forza 6, and Forza Horizon 2! :shock:

Wii U games like Super Smash Bros. U have OUTSOLD practically every massive XB1 third party game (Grand Theft Auto V, Fallout 4, Destiny, Titanfall, etc).

The XB1 is as much of a flop as the Wii U - but at least Wii U games actually sell! 8)
Who gives a FUCK? You're fucking delusional. The answer to a question no one cares about. People who play the xbone actually have more than 1 game every 6 months to buy. Moron. Come at me you fucking twit...
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

:lol:
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

[b]CUNT[/b] wrote:Who gives a FUCK? You're fucking delusional. The answer to a question no one cares about. People who play the xbone actually have more than 1 game every 6 months to buy. Moron. Come at me you fucking twit...
Come at you? :?

You adorable little uncharted-obsessed bitch, it seems that (a) you think you're actually worthy of my attention, and (b) you are clearly unaware we have a pecking order here at Games Ranch.

Let me educate you my fellow cocksucker. 8)

I am the Kim Kardashian of Games Ranch (aka, the "star" of this forum). You on the other hand are at best an understudy on rotation portraying the character of "forum cunt". :cry:

How dare you attempt to steal even a few seconds of my time! Shouldn't you be busy getting lubed up for your usual Friday night shenanigans (i.e. your bitch of a wife butt-fucking you with a strap-on whilst dressed up as Nathan Drake)? :redface:

What's that?...oh you're ready to move on from being penetrated with a plastic strap-on, to instead a hard, thick, veiny, gooey pink cock? :keke:

Silly bitch...I am a POST-OP transexual so I can't fuck you! Speaking of fucking, my surgical pussy is tighter, deeper and wetter than any pussy you have ever had! 8)

Don't you ever waste my time again you peasant. Know your place here at Games Ranch, which is the equivalent of the shit that I flush down the toilet. :thefinger:

Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

Seriously, why does anybody even give this blow hard the time it thinks it deserves? Fucking moron.
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

This blow hard blows harder than your wife! :up:

My clients haven't nicknamed me "hoover" for nothing! 8)
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

PM sent.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Jasper wrote:
My clients haven't nicknamed me "hoover" for nothing! 8)
Ooh ooh, I got this. Is it because your bag is full of dust?
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

A mate of mine sent me a screenshot of this from tinder for the lols, may be Jasper?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Can't be, has a Wii.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Xbox one is the 32x. MS need to make a Saturn to at least match ps4 and whatever NX is going to have imo.

Wii U is the DC. (it's being killed early)

They should be working on this now to attract more developers. Then re-release enhanced versions of the ONE games with better resolutions like nintendo is doing with Zelda and capcom did with RE 1 and Zero.

If Xbox TWO is backward compatible with ONE games I don't see the problem. Wii U is backward compatible with Wii games.

10 years with ONE graphics is going to be hard on them. Kinect should never have been a number 1 priority but instead something they highlighted later. Games first then gimmicks second. Wii was a fluke. It came out at a time when gaming was getting stale. Now the new gimmick is VR goggles. Nintendo will probably release holodeck next gen and we can finally look up the skirts of our fave female characters without anita sarkesian complaining about camera angles being placed near a girl's arse. You will just look at the hologram from the angle you wish to see without it being up to the developers. Splatoon concert is probably their admission they are working on holodeck in the homes. 3D on the 3DS was a good gimmick but it's too scary for parents who thinks it will make kids go blind. Holograms have no such problem. A naked Cortana hologram in the living room who will strip for you and dance on a pole is what people want.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Games industry in Australia.

Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Guys, this post is in no way meant to be a troll. As you all know, the last two gens I was totally pro-xbox all the way, but I'm genuinely concerned about the way MS is behaving towards the Xbox brand and gaming in general. I sensed a change in the way they were approaching the market late last gen, and this was compounded by the way they were behaving prior to the XBOne launch. It seemed that maybe Phil Spencer had steadied the ship, but now I'm not so sure.
There's been a lot of talk about bringing PC(Windows10 in particular) and the XboxOne closer together.
They've closed down another handful of studios including LionHead, and cancelled Fable Legends.

This thread on GAF is a very interesting read.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1194651" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are MS positioning themselves to exit the dedicated console business?

Originally Posted by Stumpokapow

Microsoft Studios is now publishing only the biggest hits
Let's just recap Microsoft's generation in review:
- Start Lift London
- Downsize the XBLA/Microsoft Studios team because MS doesn't want to be in the business of publishing so many indie games
- Close Microsoft Victoria
- Cancel Black Tusk's original game and make them the Gears studio
- Close Xbox Entertainment Studios
- Buy Mojang
- Merge Lift London with other UK-based small teams
- Promote Kudo to oversee Lift London and other UK based teams
- Kudo transfered out of Microsoft Games
- Spin off Twisted Pixel Games
- Close Press Play
- Close Lionhead

In light of the W10/Xbox One news recently, I would interpret this as the following: Microsoft does not see themselves as a hardware platform owner anymore. As a result, their interest in developing games is no longer about establishing a diverse portfolio (even at a loss), but instead about just publishing games only if they make reliable money with no risk. Hence why they're willing to sign with outside partners, and hence why they're still making Halo, Forza, Minecraft, and Gears. If you were going to transition away from the hardware model but still wanted to publish the odd game and didn't want to shut down the division at all, this is exactly what you'd do. Besides these franchises, almost all of Microsoft's first-party partners are now working on Hololens, and it's not clear that Hololens is going to be a consumer focused gaming product during the Xbox One's lifespan. The exceptions: the Project Spark team (W10/XO--whose game got shut down) and Decisive Games (presumably working on AoE, for W10/XO), and Rare.

As it relates to Press Play, Microsoft's purchase never really made any sense to begin with, just as it didn't with Twisted Pixel, but my thoughts at the time were that it was driven by wanting to have a robust portfolio of indie exclusives as other indie titles went increasingly multiplatform. Neither company had mega hits, although both had some success. In addition, neither company was all that large, so shutting them down isn't just a vote of non-confidence, it's a vote that they aren't even interested in owning those types of companies.

Microsoft did a pretty crap job of making use of Lionhead
Finally, separate from the musing about Microsoft Studios, I think Lionhead Studios has been treated extremely poorly by Microsoft. Microsoft did not secure Black & White from EA or The Movies from Activision when they bought Lionhead. The lack of care about the studio's non-Fable history was palpable. Also let it be noted that every non-Fable game they worked on under Microsoft got cancelled. Which would be OK if they cared about Fable, but here's what they did with Fable:
- Fable 1 gets a late PC port
- Fable 2 never gets a PC port
- Fable 3 gets a GFWL PC port that gets discontinued years ago when they run out of keys, MS never bothers to remove GFWL
- Fable Heroes never gets a PC port
- Fable The Journey never gets a PC port
- Fable Anniversary gets a late PC port with a rocky launch
- Fable Legends cancelled during beta

Microsoft sucks at F2P
Let's talk about free to play, though. Free to play is a pretty exciting business model for publishers and fans alike, if executed properly. MS has really sent some big signals about F2P and their interest in it. How have they done?

- In Summer 2011, Microsoft publishes Age of Empires Online for PC (GFWL). The game was developed by Robot Entertainment, also known as the company that formed when Microsoft closed Ensemble Studios (the previous developers of Age of Empires). Microsoft had Ensemble develop a console exclusive RTS which ended up being a huge hit but then closed them because I guess they didn't want a PC studio? Who knows? The game started as basically a free demo that required you to pay to buy into most of the content. It also started as a busywork grind. A year later, Microsoft, having basically bungled the game's first year, released the game on Steam (still required GFWL) and lowered the prices. This also did not work. Then a few months later they made the game actually F2P--you could unlock all the content by grinding, or pay to accelerate. A little under 2 years after release, they discontinued development on the game. 8 months later they shut down the servers. As the game is online only, it can no longer be played.
- In 2011, Microsoft publishes Crimson Alliance for XBLA as free to play. Except it turns out they don't understand free to play and the game costs money to play. When they are asked about this, they explain that the demo is free to play (as it was for every other XBLA game released on Xbox 360). ??? Great game, no followup, developer is now a support studio for Halo, no chance of game being ported to a modern platform.
- In 2012, Microsoft launches Windows 8. A variety of the launch games for the platform are "Free to Play", including a great little point and click / hidden object hybrid called Adera. The free to play model for Adera is that you can play the first quarter for free and then pay for the rest. So, again, a demo. Other games are actually free to play, but they're versions of games that used to be entirely free. One game is an endless runner called Gunstringer Dead Man Running. Gunstringer is F2P with currency in a similar model to, say, Jetpack Joyride. This game is shut down in 2014.
- In 2012, Microsoft launches Microsoft Flight, a free to play revival of Flight Simulator. Again, the free content is basically a demo, so it's clear they don't understand Free to Play. The game is locked behind GFWL and is PC exclusive. Five months later, they ceased development on the game, leaving it with nowhere near enough content. In 2013, they removed the ability to purchase any of the content or download the game. In 2014, they shut the servers. Note that Microsoft previously killed the team that made Flight Simulator and then created a new team for this project.
- In October 2012, Microsoft launches the first traditionally F2P game on XBLA: Happy Wars, a Japanese-developed tug of war team based hack and slash multiplayer game. This game went pretty well, although they realized that the business model with F2P is attracting as many people as possible so that you can monetize whales, which was at odds with the whole "you need to pay $50 a year to be able to download this game". It's fine, because the developer went ahead and ported the game to Steam without Microsoft. On Steam it has a few million players.
- In May 2013, Microsoft releases Crash Course 2, a sequel to the free Doritos advertorial game Crash Course. It is pretty well received and very popular, millions on the leaderboards near release. Around the same time they release Crash Course Go, a version of the game for Windows 8. Both games are cancelled less than a year after release and the servers shut down effective immediately.
- In July 2013, Microsoft announces Lift London is working on 4 F2P games. None ever release or are announced.
- In September 2013, Microsoft publishes Ascend: New Gods, by Signal Studios, the popular developers of the Toy Soldiers franchise. This is an F2P dungeon crawl 3rd person ARPG, kinda like Kingdoms of Amalur or Elder Scrolls or a more mechanically intense Fable. The game is actually super popular, lots of people play it. Less than a year after release, Microsoft cancels the game, removes it from sale, and gives everyone 3 day's notice about a server shutdown. Also they do not tell the developer, Signal Studios, who is completely blindsided. Signal ports the game to Steam, where it did OK for a while. It's still available. Signal hasn't worked with Microsoft since.
- A little bit before shutting down Ascend: New Gods, Microsoft shows the first footage of Fable Legends. At the time, the game is not specified as F2P, but it's later clarified to be F2P and Xbox One/Windows 10 cross-play. Microsoft teases 5-10 years of support--that this is the Fable series as we know it going forward. Fable Legends is cancelled during open beta.
- In summer 2014, Microsoft betas Project Spark, a game creation game that's F2P with Microtransactions. The game discontinues development and goes free a year after release, the F2P model having not worked at all.
- In June 2015, Microsoft confirms that they are publishing Gigantic, an Xbox One/Windows 10 cross-play F2P MOBA by indie developer Motiga. The game is in closed beta and moving to open beta this summer. Well, maybe, because a month ago the developer announced significant layoffs.

These are not all of Microsoft's F2P failures--I could also talk about the semi-F2P business model of Game Room, which failed, Microsoft's bad attempts to make their old free Windows parlour games (Minesweeper, Mahjong, Solitaire) into money-making opportunities but instead alienating their audience, Age of Empires: Castle Siege (a bad Clash of Clans clone).

I could also talk about the failure of their cloud gaming initiative by exploring how just about every Microsoft server-based game has been shut down. I could also talk about how Galactic Reign, released by Microsoft as a bold experiment in cloud-based rendering of cutscenes -- pay attention if you like Quantum Break -- shut down 6 months after release, leaving players unable to play the game. I could also talk about how all of Microsoft's major initiatives with the Xbox One: Smartglass, Cloud-based Rendering or Computing Features, and Dedicated Servers are all defunct.

Microsoft is the absolute master of failing at things even when it'd be easier to succeed. The good news is, pretty soon they'll have no more internal studios to shut down besides the ones reliably pumping out their biggest franchises every two years. As someone who bought a lot of Microsoft Game Studios titles and really loved so much of what they accomplished on 360, it sucks that shifting corporate priorities and an unwillingness to fully commit to gaming sabotaged so much of what they could have accomplished.
RIGHTEOUS FURY