Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

flipswitch
que
que

Re: OculusRift

Post by flipswitch »

Unbiased opinion. :wink:

Got everything working finally, had to buy a 7 port USB card from Amazon.

When I first put on the rift everything was blurry. Turns out I had pull the rift more down and adjust the lense distance slide all the way to the right. Pixels are visible. I mean really visible. Those who haven't tried it, it's comparable to sticking your face right up to a CRT tv using composite cables. Looks like there's interlace issues as well. So was disappointed at first . It's weird because you have to have a high end PC but what you're getting a picture that has cleary visible pixels, I can almost count them ;)

Turns out this is because they're using fresnel lenses (artifacts)

I've only used dreamdeck for a few hours and a free video called Lost. It's like a dreamdeck demo, not an actual game

I've also pulled a nerve in my neck from looking around too much :?

Downloading the HL2 mod done in UE4. Something I can actually move around in some of the locations from HL2.

Anyone wants to add me on oculus home, it's flipswitch84.

Looking forward in trying more things out ( and getting sleep) tomorrow. Got steam VR working but no sound for some reason, still looking into it.

I will post more updates.

image of what it sort of looks like through oculus rift cv1.

Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

I've also pulled a nerve in my neck from looking around too much
:lol:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

How the fuck does a 32 year old guy do that??
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Don't know, but I'm 84yo...

Lucky's Tale is pretty good, as in a good game, plus it's the first game I tried with movement and it's a strange sensation.

I just wish it was clearer. Stupid fresnel lense. It's hard to even read text in the background or make out things clearly most of the time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Sounds like VR will be awesome in a year or two.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

That's a picture of my car headlights.
[Click to see hidden content]
nope, I'm kidding :D .

I can't image how bad donkey kong 1 and donkey kong 2 units were since they were using lower resolution screens.

There's a lot of potential but the current lense is holding everything back.

From the oculus rift website.

If only it looked that clear. There's also glare on top of that and chromatic aberration plus SDE.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

I used a DK1, the pixel density was horrific, I had my suspicions the density in these new VR units wasn't high enough, thanks for confirming it flip. There is a lot of lense distortion going on with the units, which also impacts clarity. I wonder what the long term effects are to ones eyesight using these devices, it can't be good I imagine.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

:lol:

Poor fella he's using DK1. That's more like

Noticed my PC would take much longer booting up than before with the rift plugged in, so I done some research.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some other people having the same issue.

Bought VorpX last night, tried DX:HR a game I was looking forward to playing in VR and it was pretty crappy. I couldn't even see the weapon in his hand properly and the performance was bad.
Kangawallaby
Netballer
XBL ID: Kangawallaby
PSN ID: Kangawallaby
Steam ID: Kangawallaby

Post by Kangawallaby »

Assetto Corsa (Pre-Alpha) Rift Support is in. It's definitely not finished. Still have to use the TV to get to a session and the race loads on the Rift.

Ohh my god is it good once your playing though !!!
2nd place is the first loser....

Kangawallaby
Netballer

Post by Kangawallaby »

Just took a Shelby Cobra around the Nuburging. Unbelievable best VR experience I've had so far.... wow.

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I don't think the Rift image qualerty is anywhere near as bad as flip is saying. Once you find your sweet spot to me the only issue is SDE and it's not bad enough to kill the immersion.
Kangawallaby
Netballer

Post by Kangawallaby »

Yep I agree.
The biggest limiting factor I have is my gpu as it's the min required so everything is set pretty low to maintain 90fps and that will be addressed when I get a new one.

If you are a fan of racing sims though Assetto Corsa is on special atm on Steam. As a game it's not that great (career mode and content a little lacking) but the cars and tracks that are in it are the best versions of them I've seen. The meticulous detail that goes into each and every cars handling model makes them all feel truly unique. I grabbed the other two dlcs I don't have yesterday after playing in VR.
The VR support is very early days but the annoyances to get into a session are soon forgotten once you start driving.

It makes Project Cars, GT and Forza feel like arcade games in comparison.

flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Just calling it how I see it, my honest impressions. Future revisions will really show its true potential.

Has anyone else played Lucky'sTtale? It's a free download which isn't too big and an excellent introduction to VR. It's not a tech demo but a very well made platformer. The thing with VR is you can't show it off in videos on the net. It's a whole new experience in person.

Kanga, did you buy Project Cars off the oculus home store?
Kangawallaby
Netballer

Post by Kangawallaby »

Yeah I've played a bit of Lucky it's very impressive. Just enjoying my Racing/driving games way too much to play anything else.

No didn't get Project Cars on Oculus Home I already owned the Steam Version so just play that.

flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Ok, so you just launch the game through steam while you have the oculus home software open, or is it through steam VR?
Kangawallaby
Netballer

Post by Kangawallaby »

Exactly as you suggested. Launch through steam with Oculus Home open in the background loads PCars in Rift mode.

flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Thanks.

New update to oculus rift.

So I opened oculus home and now they have AU prices now.
Kangawallaby
Netballer

Post by Kangawallaby »

Do you have a decent wheel Flip ?

If not then Project Cars is probably a better proposition. If you do though I can't recommend Assetto Corsa highly enough.

flipswitch
que
que

OculusRift

Post by flipswitch »

Nah, well I bought the Logitech Driving Force Pro when I purchased GT4 over ten years ago, but I don't even know where it is or if it's compatible.

Bought Apollo 11 VR.

This is how it sort of looks through my rift.

Reminds me of interlaced video, like these interlaced screens.

Images are slightly exaggerated.

Review of CV1 from someone be who put in 1000hrs into DK2.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Firmware notes:
A new version of the Oculus app, version 1.4, releases today.
• Improvements to performance and system stability
• Improvements to sensor tracking under certain circumstances
• Bug fixes and security updates, including updates to platform integrity checks
• AUD, CAD, Euro, Pound, and Yen currencies supported by all games in applicable markets
• With this update, version 16.5.2 of the AMD driver can cause flickering on your computer screen. AMD is working on a fix. If you encounter this issue, use the 16.5.1 driver: https://support.oculus.com/1426791537346223" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Please keep in mind that the update is automatic, but may take a few days to propagate to all users. Thanks for your support.
Prices are insane on oculus home.

Elite dangerous is $89.99AUD on oculus home and just $29.99USD on steam.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Kanga, you could get performance issues if you launch Project Cars on steam while steamvr is open:

From GAF,
Revelation.... Steam VR is a performance hog. Each time I've tried Elite Dangerous I've launched it from Steam, which automatically launched Steam VR, which continued to run in the background. It wouldn't hold 90fps most of the time with the VR Low preset. This time, I realised I could close Steam VR before starting the game with the ED launcher. Boom, 90fps. Bumped it to VR High preset and it was still mostly good. It doesn't hold 90 all the time on that, but it's close, so I'll see if I can live with it.

(Thanks for the mirrored fullscreen/resolution tip mitchman, that seemed to help a bit too.)

I wonder if this is why people are reporting Vive being more demanding than Rift - presumably it has to have some form of Steam VR in the background all the time...
This is with elite dangerous but he also said it happens with Project Cars.
Kangawallaby
Netballer

Post by Kangawallaby »

Ta I get good performance in PCars though Just have to have most things set pretty low to maintain 90fps on my 970. Definitely don't have steam VR running.

I'm about to try this out in Assetto Corsa apparently it works well for games that don't have a super sampling option. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Kangawallaby wrote:Ta I get good performance in PCars though Just have to have most things set pretty low to maintain 90fps on my 970. Definitely don't have steam VR running.

I'm about to try this out in Assetto Corsa apparently it works well for games that don't have a super sampling option. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I tried that this morning, unfortunately didn't notice any differnce in image quality.
Kangawallaby
Netballer

Post by Kangawallaby »

I can definitely see a difference just a but sharper especially on Oculus Home and in game in Assetto Corsa.

Does make a dent on performance though. I'll put up with a few extra jaggies for a few more weeks till I get a Pascal gpu.

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

The Apollo 11 experience is really well done.