Re: OculusRift

Post by Cletus »

yeah...profit is the why
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

I've seen others sell it like that too, ' been used once but my PC isn't powerful enough, will buy later when upgrading' I say BS.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Obvious scalping. You can still use Rift even if your specs aren't up to what they recommend.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Hate Gumtree with a passion. Think I've only used it once
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
flipswitch
que
que

OculusRift

Post by flipswitch »

Why, what happened.Scammers?
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

I think I've tried to buy 5 things off it and only had success once. One time the guy put the price up at the last moment because he got a better offer, another was when I drove out of my way to buy something and they said they'd sold it because they thought I wasn't coming. Very little honour amongst the sellers that I've encountered. I find eBay and Amazon are the extent of my online shopping.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

:unbiased:

OK so here we go.

First thing you notice with the Rift is the packaging. The whole thing screams "premium product, premium experience". As someone who has opened many game-related boxes in my life, this is right up there with the best of the best in terms of beautifully packaged and just something that says "I AM GOING TO CHANGE HOW YOU DO THINGS".

I felt that way when I first got a Dreamcast, now I feel that way with this.

The setup process is fantastic, the software walks you through everything step by step in terms of plugging it all in and calibration. Very, very easy.

Let me say that you do NOT need heaps of space for a Rift. I'm currently in a small room on a small desk and I've got no issues.

The build quality of everything feels top notch. The headset is comfortable once you adjust it for your noggin.

It turns out that my 2.5 year old CPU doesn't meet Rift specs (as it likes to tell me) but so far I haven't noticed anything. Everything I've played so far has run flawlessly...no doubt the 980Ti is doing the work there.

There is a screen-door effect but it's not intrusive nor does it take away from the experience. The most important thing is that the framerate is rock-solid on everything so far (I will be upgrading the CPU and GPU this tax time anyway) so I'm fully immersed.

OK so in terms of games -

Lucky's Tale
Eve Valkyrie

Lucky's Tale is your standard coin-collecting 3D cute platformer....except your head is the camera and you can look around the 3D world. Gameplay is what you'd expect (not shit) but the fact that you're IN the world makes it completely different.

Eve Valkyrie...well that is mind-blowing in terms of you being IN the cockpit in a space fighter and being able to look around. The camera is positioned where your head would be in the cockpit so you look down and see your virtual arms, legs etc. The immersion is unlike anything I've ever played. It's one of those gaming firsts that I'll never forget.

Have also fucked around with some 360 videos and tech demos. There's an Unreal 4 engine tech demo called Showdown which takes you through a slo-mo fight between some generic future space marines and some large robot. It's non-interactive but just being able to look around the environment while it's all happening is a new experience.

Seen a few of the National Geographic 360 videos where you can look around while the documentary is happening. Very cool. There are sports ones as well that puts you on a basketball court, ice hockey rink etc

I'm currently updating Elite Dangerous and will be downloading Project Cars next. Will do some homework on other recommended Rift games and buy a few. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is absolutely happening.

I've set up Steam VR which has a cool tutorial sequence. No luck with Half-Life 2 yet for some reason even though it DOES have a VR option in the menu :/

I can honestly say this without it being an overstatement - this whole experience is incredible and changes the way I look at and think about gaming in the future. All of a sudden my you-beaut 1440p 144Hz Gsync monitor means fuck-all. I want to play everything in this fucking headset from here on out where possible.

The potential is limitless.

Any of you guys with a beefy enough PC who is ready for a new gaming experience....get on board. Rift, Vive...who the fuck cares. Just get one and you won't regret it. This was worth every cent and every second I spent waiting for it to arrive. I've been playing games since the early 80s like all of you guys and NOTHING has hit me like this.
Kangawallaby
Netballer
XBL ID: Kangawallaby
PSN ID: Kangawallaby
Steam ID: Kangawallaby

Post by Kangawallaby »

Amen !

I can't wait to get a 1080 and crank everything up to the wazoo. My 970 is sufficient. But it's the minimum for a reason, Project Cars could look way better with more grunt. Interested to see how your card performs with it Candy?
2nd place is the first loser....

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I'll certainly give it a crack! What's your Rift name Kanga? I'll add you
Kangawallaby
Netballer

Post by Kangawallaby »

Kangawallaby.

I haven't used it for a week or so due to some family stuff I've got going on.

One suggestion for you to try is Blaze Rush. It's not what you'd expect to get the most of VR from but man it's cool. 10 bucks on Oculus Store

flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Candy, what cpu are you running?
Kangawallaby
Netballer

Post by Kangawallaby »

Dirt Rally will get support in the next patch !!!!

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

Candy Arse wrote:First thing you notice with the Rift is the packaging. The whole thing screams "premium product, premium experience". As someone who has opened many game-related boxes in my life, this is right up there with the best of the best in terms of beautifully packaged and just something that says "I AM GOING TO CHANGE HOW YOU DO THINGS".

I felt that way when I first got a Dreamcast, now I feel that way with this.
Wasn't the Dreamcast packed in an egg carton?
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

I couldn't help myself, bought one off eBay for $1500..

I won't be able to use it yet because of my gpu, waiting on the pascal card.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Do want now but going to wait for gen 2
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

Bruh you've gotta play Alien: Isolation with the headset on. There's a simple hack to get it working. Best of luck :up:
-------------------------------------
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Oculus rift is saying my 3770k isn't good enough, read up on it and it's not true. Might overclock it but have no experience in it.
Ran into another issue,
Some of the hardware that powers your USB ports is incompatible with rift.Here is the hardware that is incompatible.

ASMedia USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0.96 (Microsoft)
Had to order an Inateck Superspeed 7 Ports PCI-E to USB 3.0 Expansion Card from Amazon.

Signed up for the launch notification for the nvidia pascal card on scorptec.

Didn't know it was that demanding.

Half life 2 UE4 made City 17 Stairwell and Attic demo.
http://liamtart.com/city-17-stairwell-a ... -personal/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

My CPU is an i5-4570. No issues to be found thus far.
Wasn't the Dreamcast packed in an egg carton?
Yes it was, but the feeling I had opening it up and setting it up was "This is really next gen" which was assisted by having played Sonic Adventure and Soul Calibur prior to release.

The Oculus Rift is probably the best packaged "console" I've ever had.
Bruh you've gotta play Alien: Isolation with the headset on. There's a simple hack to get it working. Best of luck
Doesn't work with the consumer version from what I'm reading on Reddit.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I'm not sure that's a game I really want to experience in VR.

I mean... I do... but I don't have any adult diapers.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

Oh wow. Keep your eyes peeled for a fix to that.
-------------------------------------
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Downloaded a few more things -

Apollo 11 VR - an educational experience going through the Apollo 11 mission. Actually really fucking cool if this is your sort of thing, which for me it is. The closest I'll ever get to being part of a NASA shuttle launch.

Virtual Desktop - it's exactly what the name implies. You use your PC through the headset. I also took the time to play Metal Slug.

Technolust - the closest thing to being IN Blade Runner. A first-person "adventure". Gonna dig into this more over the weekend...

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - I'd had a look at the "2D" version of this and it seemed good, but in VR it's something else entirely. Now it feels like the right time to go through this.

Oculus Dreamdeck - Remember those cool tech demos that came with the original PlayStation to show you how good 3D was? This is the same thing for VR. A series of tech demos (including a T-Rex) that effortlessly show you what VR can do and they range from being in the middle of a city to a cool environment rendered in basic shapes very much like the original VR pitch in the early 90s. If anyone wants an easy intro to VR I'll just use the Dreamdeck app for starters.

I also downloaded a few of the short "films" that seem like nice novelties.

With quite a few of the experiences I've had so far with the Rift, I get the same vibes I had in the early CD-ROM days, aka Mega-CD, Myst, Return to Zork etc. Not in a negative way, but more like this is very different and is offering things you couldn't get before like when voice-acting and FMV were the new hotness in games.

It would seem that as far as "real" games go, your choices are limited - Lucky's Tale, Project Cars (yet to play), Elite Dangerous, Chronos (from what I've read a VR ripoff of Dark Souls and worth a look), Ethan Carter. Eve Valkyrie is more an experience than a game and multiplayer dogfighting was cool when I played X-Wing vs Tie Fighter vs a mate over a modem but that wore off a while ago. I want a Wing Commander type of experience.

I'm in the process of updating my version of Elite Dangerous. I need to find out if it'll work straight in VR or do I have to buy the fucking thing again?

I've had a few issues with nausea but they seem to occur with the weird 1st person movement in Ethan Carter, but it has an option where rather than standard 1st person movement you select an option to go from point to point, comparable to Myst. When you get to the point you can look around as you would in a VR headset but the point-to-point movement removes the nausea issues for me which is appreciated.

I think this is going to be the big thing for VR moving forward - creating games where you can experience full movement without it making you feel like you're going to pass out in your chair.
Kangawallaby
Netballer

Post by Kangawallaby »

Candy Arse wrote: I think this is going to be the big thing for VR moving forward - creating games where you can experience full movement without it making you feel like you're going to pass out in your chair.

This is why cockpit games are where its at right now. Unless you are actually moving you legs while moving forward no amount of hmd tech is going to fix the disconnect between what you seeing and what your in game body is doing compared to your real body. Omni directional treadmill may be a solution down the track.

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Kangawallaby wrote:Amen !

I can't wait to get a 1080 and crank everything up to the wazoo. My 970 is sufficient. But it's the minimum for a reason, Project Cars could look way better with more grunt. Interested to see how your card performs with it Candy?
I cranked all the settings right up and it feels around 30fps with a stack of cars in front of me, and perfectly smooth with less cars. I'll play around with the detail settings and see what I can do...
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

How do you know if you hit 90fps or not?
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

You don't. I might see if I can enable the FPS in Steam VR. There's no option for that in the Oculus software.

So far every game I've played has been buttery smooth except for one of the short-films where some objects moved at 30fps in the distance (and at least 60 up close which makes no sense) and Project Cars.