Playstation 4 thread

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Re: Playstation 4 thread

Post by Candy Arse »

When you select Boost Mode it should open up a browser to the PC Case Gear site :lol:
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

I though Sony was pretty firm on no external hdd support, but it appears not. Boost mode is a good start but I hope in the future we can play 30fps games at 60fps automatically. I would then consider upgrading to Pro.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Agreed. There are no compelling reasons to get a Pro.

I suspect Scorpio will be the complete opposite...
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Yeah, I sense the Scorpio will really deliver...partly because of the Pro.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Well they did have an extra year to make changes and fine tune.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

And then the PS5 a year or so later (depending on how well Scorpio goes) and man, bring back the stability of the 360/PS3 era :lol:

Regularly updated hardware, multi-gen backwards compatibility ... hmmm ...
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

t0mby wrote:Well they did have an extra year to make changes and fine tune.
In other words they're not rushing a half-step to the market like Sony did.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

In all fairness, Sony and M$ are both guilty of doing that with this gen (PS4 and Bone) but Sony did it twice in this gen with the Pro. The follow on from the 360/ps3 gen should have been much closer to the Scorpio level right from the start.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Candy Arse wrote:
t0mby wrote:Well they did have an extra year to make changes and fine tune.
In other words they're not rushing a half-step to the market like Sony did.
That, or they've given up being the biggest selling console this gen. ;)
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Put on my PS4 just now, booted up the Witcher 3 to continue my game but after 20mins of playing my PS4 went into rest mode automatically. Turned it back back on and same thing happened. So I thought I 'fixed' the disc ejecting problem ( by eventually cutting out the eject button) but now this happens and it seems like another common issue. Now I'm not sure if I should bother buying any more game until I someowhow fix it. PC has been much more reliable after I was on nothing but PC for several months.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

:suicide: GameHED :suicide:
:suicide: t0mby :suicide:
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

20mins is about the normal time you play judging by your trophies. :D
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

20mins is all my DS4 allows. ;)
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

flipswitch wrote:20mins is all my DS4 allows. ;)
:lol: Destroyed
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Your DS must be pukaru, I get an least 10hrs out of a charge.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Rebuilding database. If it happens again I might just buy a slim.. obviously wont be trading this in.

It's only going to be used for PS exclusives. Might get the pro since it will be better in the long run.

On second thought, I could just do nothing. I'm happy gaming on PC and don't really miss playing on PS4.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Nier Automata trailer out in Japan, apparently got a little toned down though. Both versions can be seen here:

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/02/the-n ... for-japan/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm really looking forward to it but so povo these days :-( might wait until it's a bit cheaper as there is no way I'm dropping coin on that black box limited edition that is coming out. Also Breath of the Wild very close to it as well..

Heard that this is releasing on PC as well? For some reason I had it in my head that it was PS4 exclusive, but maybs just not hitting the xbone?
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Glad to hear this is heading to PC. If it reviews well will grab it, looking forward to no graphical compromises
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

What's the best deal going for a PS4 Pro right now?

I'm buying a 4K monitor so there's my excuse to sell my vanilla PS4 and get a Pro with Horizon.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/294321" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From eBay. Enter code to get 10% off. $503.10 delivered. Two available.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Sell your vanilla with a game bundled and you should be able to get about $250-300 if you still have the boxes and manuals. I think I got about $310 for mine with Metro Redux thrown in. Also managed to get rid of a short hdmi lead I had and my pad with a dodgy right trigger. Ended up paying $250 for my Pro. :up:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Just bought a Pro with Horizon.

Thought about paying for a Switch, then remembered I've now got a Pro, a 4K monitor and soon a 1080Ti.

Will get the Switch in the fire sales.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Transferring the data from the vanilla PS4 to the Pro is easy and appreciated! No need to worry about downloading 250GB worth of data :lol:
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Anyone run into that annoying issue where your PS4 tells you there's not enough space for an update/dlc, but when you check your system storage you've got plenty? I've had it happen inconsistently throughout the lifespan of the machine, and could never quite figure out what was going on. I've read advice ranging from rebuilding the database in safe mode, to backing up saves to cloud storage, reformatting and redownloading all updates, to "ur hdd is fukd". None of which helped. I think I've gotten to the bottom of it, and thought I'd share/vent.

Apparently when the download manager says "Preparing to download", it's checking which files you already have installed so as to only download the files you need. So far so good. For reasons I do not understand, the check for available storage space does not take this into account. So for example if you have 20GB of updates for a game, and a 10GB patch comes out, you need to have at least 30GB free in order to download and install the 10GB patch. The required space is further obfuscated by games that perform an install from disc then have had updates applied, since the part installed locally seemingly isn't counted but there's no easy way to know how much of the total it's making up.

Sounds inconvenient, but not too bad, right? Now here's a real example: I have ESO installed, and after the recent housing update that motherfucker is the wrong side of 100GB. With the Morrowind expansion looming, I'm going to need to have up to 100GB + sizeof(morrowind) as available space for no good reason, on top of the 100GB that's already installed. So having this one game effectively limits the functional capacity of my 500GB HDD to 80% before factoring in the size of the game itself. Most games aren't this huge of course, but this is really shit. I have a few larger games installed that I'm not playing right now, but know I'll never play again if I delete them- I might return to them on a whim, but you can't do that if there's 20-30hrs of downloading that comes along with it.

Which brings me to a few questions: Any recommendations for 2TB HDDs for the PS4? Is there an easy way to transfer everything without an interim HDD to back everything up to? I have access to another PS4, could I perform a system transfer to the spare with the 2TB drive inside, then just pop the 2TB into my PS4? Is it irrational to care about the PT demo at this point? Pls halp.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Wait for the next firmware update due out this month as Sony is allowing external drives to be used.

Here to help.