Playstation 4 thread

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Playstation 4 thread

Post by mech »

I have no idea why we're sharing threads, a ton of stuff is getting buried.

So, played NFS Rivals tonight. Plays and looks great. The tutorials and whatnot are shitful though - takes forever just to be able to play it. Seems great so far though, and links up online/offline seamlessly.

Speaking of which, it's pretty unnerving how automatic everything is on PS4. You don't notice anything. Want to start playing a game you haven't installed yet? Go for it! It'll install it in the background, you don't even notice. Want to update your titles? They already got updated for you! Save games get synced to PS+ automatically too. It seems far less concerned about constantly alerting you about what it's up to, and just lets you play the games. Will take some getting used to though :D

I love that it'll download more than 1 title at a time now too, I was clearing an easy 5-7MB/s off PS+. Just a shame they don't have a download list for you to manage (wtf).

Also it is so bizarre to think that it's constantly recording the last 15 minutes of gameplay. Surely that must impact on streaming from the HDD? Wonder how SSDs go in there, I'm tempted to upgrade if I can get one cheap on black friday.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Re: Playstation 4 thread

Post by t0mby »

I asked you in the other thread a few days ago mech, but I fear my question or your answer got buried so I will ask again.

What is the online structure like this time around, invites etc? Does pressing the PS button when a message/trophy/invite take you directly to it like xbl?
Last edited by t0mby on 19 Nov 2013 06:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
mech

Post by mech »

I think so, but I haven't tried it yet. I've only got one guy on my list who has a PS4.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Press it next time you earn a trophy as soon as the notification pops! ;)
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
MiNiStRy
Occasionally Overlooks Gravity.
XBL ID: MiNiStRyS
PSN ID: MiNiStRy
Steam ID: MiNiStRyS

Post by MiNiStRy »

Still waiting for mine from amazon and atm its in new jersey with a eta of december 5th!
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

mech wrote:I have no idea why we're sharing threads, a ton of stuff is getting buried.
I agree, good job mech :up:
So, played NFS Rivals tonight. Plays and looks great. The tutorials and whatnot are shitful though - takes forever just to be able to play it. Seems great so far though, and links up online/offline seamlessly.
Watching some of this one on twitch, it looks pretty good. Starting to really get the itch to buy a new console :(
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

Don't mind me fellas, I would like to ask about NFS as I'm really considering picking it up.

30fps racing games bother me slightly, does the frame rate feel ok?
Also I read somewhere there can be real bad pop up at high speed, have you noticed this, mech?

If Forza is too sim-my for me I might swap it for this, looks like a heap of fun.
MiNiStRy

Post by MiNiStRy »

I tried to change my shipping to express but I couldn't but can someone tell me why it goes through so many states before shipping australia?

In Transit : On Schedule
Expected delivery: Thursday, December 5, 2013, by 8:00pm
Your package arrived at the carrier facility (Updated 13 hour(s) ago)
Tracking Details:
November 18, 2013, 2:46 pm, Carlstadt NJ US Package arrived at a carrier facility
November 18, 2013, 5:14 am, San Bernardino CA US Package has left the carrier facility
November 15, 2013, 7:17 pm, San Bernardino CA US Package arrived at a carrier facility
November 15, 2013, 6:43 am, Phoenix AZ US Package has left seller facility and is in transit to carrier
Mavy
XBL ID: Mavy
PSN ID: iwantalogin

Post by Mavy »

Same with mine. Though strange thing was when I looked the tracking number up on i-parcel's website it said it was in Los Angeles with the same time mark.
MiNiStRy

Post by MiNiStRy »

Just checked again and yeah mine says the same thing at the iparcel website yet at amazon all those updates above wtf?
BigSwingingUdders
NOT JIZZLOBBER
XBL ID: Pre-baked
PSN ID: 40% Better

Post by BigSwingingUdders »

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 Location Time
6 Processed at CINCINNATI HUB - USA CINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA 04:49
5 Arrived at Sort Facility CINCINNATI HUB - USA CINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA 04:07
Monday, November 18, 2013 Location Time
4 Transferred through DFW AIRPORT - USA DFW AIRPORT, TX - USA 23:35
3 Departed Facility in TULSA - USA TULSA, OK - USA 20:15
2 Processed at TULSA - USA TULSA, OK - USA 19:39
1 Shipment picked up TULSA, OK - USA 17:19

Mines' on track for delivery this Thursday!

t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

jizzlobber wrote:
If Forza is too sim-my for me I might swap it for this, looks like a heap of fun.
You've had four Forza games to work out if it's for how of not. You telling us FM5 is going to be your first Forza experience?
mech

Post by mech »

jizzlobber wrote:Don't mind me fellas, I would like to ask about NFS as I'm really considering picking it up.

30fps racing games bother me slightly, does the frame rate feel ok?
Also I read somewhere there can be real bad pop up at high speed, have you noticed this, mech?

The framerate feels good. It stutters a little bit sometimes, but apparently they're fixing that in a patch (config change), but it feels very solid.

The 30fps rate somewhat suits the feel of the cars - everything feels really chunky and solid.

I haven't noticed any pop-up yet. It's not perfect but it looks pretty 'next-gen' to me.

The mechanics in it are solid though, it is a ton of fun. It feels very burnouty, which is perfect for me, I loved Burnout Paradise.

I didn't like the last NFS game I bought on PS3, (hot pursuit?) I barely played it, but this has grabbed me straight out.
mech

Post by mech »

Remote play really is amazing now. HUGE huge step up. The _only_ bummer is for games that make heavy use of L1/R1/L3/R3.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOJ5IZ3-rEw&hd=1[/youtube]
mech

Post by mech »

AC4 patch it finally live. If these screens are legit, that is a HUGE difference.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BZVeebYIQAAUvgO.jpg:orig" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BZc9XFDIgAAGV_8.jpg:orig" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7290/1094 ... 9899_o.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3790/1094 ... 7640_o.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

I thought they were adding a new AA method? Because the game doesn't look like it has AA still.

Looks slightly better and more detailed at 1080p but just as gritty/jaggy as it did at 900p.
Shots you posted look sharper mech, but yeah not seeing better AA at all.
mech

Post by mech »

Where did you quote that from? Yeah doesn't look like any AA.

Lol at "slightly" better, it looks so much better. It's 43% more pixels ffs!

It definitely looks like an uprezzed current gen game though, whereas NFS and KZ look a step above.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Just from gaf, Running native just removes the Blur introduced by the scaler at 900p, brings back sharpness lost, it doesn't make geometry/lighting/textures look better and this game has a lot of thin lines/wires especially with the ships and the post process AA they use just doesn't cut it, you need some MSAA or SMAA with a good temporal component.

The whole resolutiongate thing just proves, developers are extremely rushed. I was reading how broken BF4 is on PS4, basically 64 player servers are a no go, keeps crashing all the time. Oh the joy of launch titles.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

mech wrote:AC4 patch it finally live. If these screens are legit, that is a HUGE difference.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BZVeebYIQAAUvgO.jpg:orig" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BZc9XFDIgAAGV_8.jpg:orig" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7290/1094 ... 9899_o.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3790/1094 ... 7640_o.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yep, a clear difference for sure.
BigSwingingUdders
NOT JIZZLOBBER
XBL ID: Pre-baked
PSN ID: 40% Better

Post by BigSwingingUdders »

Nah, let me tell you, there's technical reasons that you don't understand that make this res bump not as impressive as your eyes perceive.

:D
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Mech, do you have power save mode on your vita on or off? Apparently it helps when it's turned off.
MiNiStRy

Post by MiNiStRy »

New update is on the way to improve the ui and stability problems.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/11/ ... ming-soon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mech

Post by mech »

flipswitch: no idea tbh. Probably off.

AC4 definitely looks a lot nicer. I'd love to see some analysis on the framerate though... looks like it might be a little worse?
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

mech wrote:Remote play really is amazing now. HUGE huge step up. The _only_ bummer is for games that make heavy use of L1/R1/L3/R3.
How DO they handle L1/L3/R1/R3? touch pad at the back?
Pointy Cat
What Amazing!
What Amazing!

Post by Pointy Cat »

Two buttons on the rear touch pad, so one button for each half, and the L/R3 buttons are on the front touch pad, the bottom left and right corners.