Playstation 4 thread

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Re: Playstation 4 thread

Post by Vince »

I purchased my PSVR on launch here but can't use it yet as I sold my PS4 for a pretty good price in anticipation for the Pro. I've never used VR before so I'm super excited to try it in about 3 weeks time! Nice impressions Mech. Can't wait to play!
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

mech wrote:Did the PSVR come out in Australia yet?

I got mine on Thursday. Some true "holy shit" moments playing it so far. I've got Rez, Batman, the launch bundle game pack, and the demos obviously.

Rez is amazing. Mind-blowingly good. It's hilarious that a 15 year old Dreamcast game is the poster child for VR, but it's like this game was made for it.

Batman is an incredible experience. When you watch your parents gunned down, and are child-size - woah, that was a weird feeling. Looks amazing, controls great. There's an opportunity lost not having the batcar/plane fly you to the different locations though. I have occasionally noticed the shaking thing mentioned, but rarely - it's rock solid most of the time.

I thought the move controllers were rubbish trying them with Job Simulator - literally unplayable. They are 100% fine with batman though (except for when you turn around of course).

It was pretty awesome in DriveClub just usually your mirrors naturally and being able to look around while driving - very very cool.

The goggles come with a cloth to clean the lenses, I need this all the time - sweat like a mofo with that helmet on. It's unwieldy, the cable is annoying, and it can be blurry sometimes and need adjustment. It was super easy to set up though, especially compared to a Vive.

So yeah - pretty amazing getting such high quality VR from such old/underpowered hardware, for such a decent price. It's an incredible, but flawed, experience. Not sure if it's the future of gaming yet - I can imagine with a lightweight, wireless solution with 4x the res it could be a complete game-changer.

I also hope that they add more video content that is MUCH higher res. The hulu app has VR video experiences like a boxing match, but it's like watching a 240p youtube video.
Yep it's out. Marto got one and loves it.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

Had a bash for a few hours on my mates PSVR on the weekend and I'm impressed, but won't buy one yet. I have tried early versions of Oculus and spent a fair bit on the Samsung VR.

Gotta say the PSVR is so damn comfortable, doesn't sit tight right up on your face, just seems to hover just infront of your face and is light. Tried out PS Worlds, the menu's alone are a great time waster. The Heist and underwater demo's where imoressive. The ludge demo looked shit and made me feel shit. The playroom demos where so fun. Such dumb games, but with a group of mates, so many laughs.

Can't see myself grabbing one yet, i think there would be issues playing long gaming sessions and no real must have titles yet.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I want to get one purely for Rez.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Me too. Love one purely for sex.
F for Fake
XBL ID: Thread Killer
PSN ID: Cool_-_Z
Steam ID: Bell end

Post by F for Fake »

Does that mean I can get Rez on the marketplace again?
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

$45 for Rez :-( I'm keen but it's a bit rich for my blood at the moment.

Had a bit of a flip through the new games on the PS store, didn't realize there were so many VR games available actually.. I see Super Stardust got some sort of VR version too, that could be cool. I remember the 3D update was quite gnarly, dropped the resolution but kept the framerate steady and looked pretty sweet.

$30 price point that a lot of the VR games seem to be hitting isn't too bad, but I wonder how many of them are a play it once and never again type affair.

Maybe sometime down the track.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Will probably get after I get PS4 pro.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

More disappointing PS4 pro results
Crap framerates again, checkboard upscale 4k. :down:
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Never change lestat.
mech

Post by mech »

Hah, I love how in 4 player split screen each player gets 1080p to themselves. Crazy.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Splitscreen needs to make a comeback.

I'd by a PS4 or an Xbox One tomorrow if TimeSplitters 4 is released.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

mech wrote:Never change lestat.
Nothing "pro" about sputtering framerates, I'll never change on that matter. :down:
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Noticed lestat didn't post Sonys announcement about adding an additional gb ram to the Pro.

Pick and choose lestat, pickachus. :lol:
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

It's about the sizzle, not the sausage. An extra GB of RAM doesn't mean much if framerates are bad.
mech

Post by mech »

60fps dropping to 50-55fps is bad huh.
Sonic Jam
Hates Gaming. FORUM PARADOX!
Hates Gaming. FORUM PARADOX!

Post by Sonic Jam »

I actually like the PS4 Pro, but it'll be fascinating to see how it plays out with that vs the Scorpio.

12+ months of extra time to produce a faster machine and try to keep costs down, wonder how much they'll manage to do with the extra time heh.

I'll reserve judgement on just how well Sony have handled the PS4P until I have the retail unit in my hands and have seen how the dev end works, but conceptually everything I've read seems to put it in a pretty good place for being an easy to use Super PS4 that'll make things look great on a 4K TV.

Biggest fuckup Sony have made in recent memory for me is the lack of HDR passthrough on the PSVR box, gonna make switching between regular and non VR games a god damn nightmare and flies completely in the face of their huge push towards 4K/HDR displays and games.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

mech wrote:60fps dropping to 50-55fps is bad huh.
On a regular vsync display, yeah it's annoying and judderific.

You have to consider mech a few of us here have GSync 144hz displays. ;)
Candy Arse wrote:It's about the sizzle, not the sausage. An extra GB of RAM doesn't mean much if framerates are bad.
Scorpio is going to have minimum 12gb and possible more like 16GB. 1GB extra is hardly amazing when most new PC cards are now 8GB of pure vram alone. PS4 pro games go from 5GB shared to 6GB shared, it clearly didn't help with Tomb raider which still doesn't have the higher res texture set on PC. The extra gig just probably helps accommodate the higher resolution target buffers.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

By the time Scorpio comes out, serious gamers like us will be running 4K 60fps+ all settings max on our PCs.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

"Serious Gamers" :rollin:
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

?
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Candy Arse wrote:By the time Scorpio comes out, serious gamers like us will be running 4K 60fps+ all settings max on our PCs.
Until high framerate 4k panels hit, I'll happily stick with 1440p/144hz, the higher refresh rate makes a big difference imo. But yeah volta with HBM2 next year will be a monster.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Candy Arse wrote:?
The true gamers are those that play games for the quality not the systems running it.

PC gamers need to understand that if games are specifically made only for the high end system the sales may be compromised and the company may kill off a series due to lack of confidence in the ability to profit from the game.

case in point SF5:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... for-revamp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The game is great title but it takes a PC game-like approach to how a game is built where you give us a demo on launch and gradually build it up over time. Console gamers prefer the idea that you have everything, then a sequel is made.
In the old days games were pre-balance tested and it was part of quality control. Now as PC gamers have infiltrated console gamer spaces, companies are starting to introduce PC game like models which is ruining the perception of what a console game is. (ie you get all the main stuff out of the box with some bonus stuff later)

You guys always complian about things like Zelda being delayed again and not making dates, for istance, but that can be considered a good thing because if a game has a bad first impression with bugs here and there on day 1 and incomplete modes, then people may never return to buy it when it DOES get fixed. That's why nintendo delays stuff instead of doing rushed release. I think it's important for PC gamers to know their place and stop trying to make console scene more like pc scene. The pc scene has some negatives like instability.

When you come into our spaces show some respect man. We PAY for games unlike you guys where it's all about showing off your hardware and not gaming. Pure games consoles keep the coding bastards honest because they are all competing with rivals on an even playing field which is why it is appealing platform as you can sort the good coders and developers from the bad ones more easily (because we are all using the same shit). On pc, different hardware specs of the customer have to also factor into the comparison which allows bad games which are resource hungry to expect you to upgrade all the time. (a big turn off for those on tight budgets but who are hardcore gamers who spends hours on gaming)

Guys like Rorschach need to STFU. If a game company is to survive it may have to compromise on visuals for shit systems which is more commonly owned than cutting edge machines. But I guess that's the elitists utopia: make everyone else have to hunch in front of desks to enjoy gaming instead of relax on couches. You narcisstic fucks are hated for a reason. Because you assume everyone has the same needs as you. What about those poor college students who have tiny rooms and don't want to play on desks but instead on small systems with tiny screens because the room is limited in space? Do the graphics get noticed on small tv? They might not notice the graphics being high fidelity due to cramped conditions. And what about japanese gamers? Do they really want to play Mario on a PC when it's better on portable where you can be anywhere? We are not all the same. Some prioritise battery life, (which lets you play long RPG and adventures) good controls (mobiles don't have that as I mention time and time again) others go for graphics details since you have a set up in a computer room. But that's not ideal for all to hunch in front of desk. Times are changing and more people are doing stuff outside the computer room. That doesn't mean they can't enjoy PC, just that it's not stable like console gaming where quality must be higher (because it is held to a higher standard) due to the larger audience of people who will inevitably go apeshit and return a buggy unfinished game as their expectations for quality are higher for closed platforms where bugs shouldn't be as big an issue.

Closed systems offer people on tight budgets risk avoidance of badly polished titles which destroy confidence in the hobby when companies can get away with not completing things. This is why consoles are still popular despite being underpowered. The nerds pf society need to be put in their place: you are not cool or popular because your system crunches numbers better. It's the library of quality content and original games with nice polished feel that matters. Sometimes games can be like art. You don't care about things like how high budget an indie movie is if the movie makes good usage of the money it was given and is entertaining. Same deal in gaming scene. The cool people are not the techies. They are people who play games indepth and care about sloppy coding and shit design, and how much content is in the game (value) more than whether the system its on is awesome. If I make a game to run at 60fps because I am good at coding on limited machines, but a bad coder can make it run at 100FPS on a really expensive machine with better specs, the pc guy will praise his machine but excuse the sloppy code. The console guy will notice that clones of my game made by less competent rivals running on the same hardware don't run as good and it becomes about the skill of the developer, not the customer's machine. PC gamers always make it about themselves not the creators of the games. So they are not true gamers just tech worshippers who fail to appreciate the hard work of the coder that has to keep quality high on the shit machines to keep a game company afloat. Everything on pc is free and so why should those guys care if a company lives or dies? Or if the game developer gets any praise for beating his rivals on the same system by innovating how something is done so it uses less lines of code to run better?
They can't appreciate that. Just as you wouldn't appreciate a guy in a slow car winning a race against rivals in better cars who can't drive as skillfully due to being more spoiled so they can make mistakes and not care about their quality as a driver. But the guy driving that slow car is working a lot harder (better quality) than the others. That's the appeal of the console: forcing the developer to make it about the art of not failing on a level playing field. Every dickhead is driving in the slow car meaning it's obvious who is shit. If a shit lazy sloppy coder loses his job, guess what? the quality one can keep making new games and absorb profit. (not because it was released on superior platform but because he offered the best quality) This keep console developers HONEST. And maintain high quality in that sphere.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

TL;DR