Hades - 2020 GOTY

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Hades - 2020 GOTY

Post by Candy Arse »

Someone prove me wrong. This game is fucking brilliant.
flipswitch
que
que

Re: Hades - 2020 GOTY

Post by flipswitch »

What system you have it on?
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Bought it last night from Epic for $20AUD. Game is awesome. Sunk 2 hours into before I knew it before bed
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Got it on Switch and can't stop playing it. Magnificent.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I might need to change this thread title to "2020 GOTY...for now".

There's every chance Cyberpunk will have something to say about this.

But it's safe to say Hades will be in my top 2 for the year. It just gets better and better and better.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

So tempted based off impressions like this.
But, ugh I hated Bastion, didn't like Transistor either...and the isometric perspective always dissuades me (unless it's an RTS).
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

I see it's getting some stellar reviews, 92 average which is fantastic. I liked Bastion, didn't like Transistor though.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Not my kinda game so it won't be my GOTY.

High hopes for Cyberpunk and the more I hear about Watchdogs Legion the more excited I get. The Census system sounds amazing and was added after the delay so it seems to have been a wise move on Ubisoft's behalf to delay all their games after Ghost Recon's reception.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Twiztid Elf wrote:So tempted based off impressions like this.
But, ugh I hated Bastion, didn't like Transistor either...and the isometric perspective always dissuades me (unless it's an RTS).
I'm ok with isometric stuff but also didn't take to Bastion or Transistor. Hades does look pretty amazing in gameplay videos though. Will likely give it a look when I've knocked a few more titles off the backlog.

Performance is fine on Switch, Candy?
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

More than fine. A few instances of framerate drop but not when it matters most.

I think this is at least as good a game as Dead Cells.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Had a good run last night with the spear/trident. Managed to get through to the third boss encounter and almost beat them but didn't have a death revive up my sleeve. Really good game, reminds me of the old arcade style games - suitable difficulty curve and incentive to keep coming back.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Candy Arse wrote:More than fine. A few instances of framerate drop but not when it matters most.

I think this is at least as good a game as Dead Cells.
Nice, chucked it on the wish list.

Dead Cells is a funny one for me. For the most part I love it, it's the perfect blend of rogue-like and metroidvania, and the character movement in particular is just so fluid and feels great. I don't like that the DLC areas were added into the base game but you just can't access them, so you've got to learn what the paths leading to them look like so that you don't waste precious time during a run going to a dead-end. But even before that happened, I found the unlock system is... "punishing" isn't the right word, but it's not good. There's heaps of shit to unlock, which is great, but because drops are random you're just broadening the pool of items, which decreases the chance of getting a combination with good synergy. Weirdly, it incentivises not unlocking more stuff, but that's kind of the long-term draw of the whole game. Probably a "me" problem, I dunno.