Master Race gaming thread

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Re: Master Race gaming thread

Post by Candy Arse »

Score. Gotta love how easily accessible and rewarding PC gaming is now vs even 10 years ago.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Doom is amazing, this is one of the best shooters I have played in a long time. I miss detailed maps you can explore and secrets, due to the suit/weapon upgrade system there is a distinct advantage in seeking out secrets. The action is visceral and heart pumping, I've already had so many encounters where I feel overwhelmed and the Adrenalin kicks in, I love it, I couldn't imagine playing this on a controller, quite simply the game is too fast and hectic for it.

The framerate is very impressive here, it hasn't dropped a single frame the whole time on ultra(60fps), very smooth and optimised. The only issue I've seen and that's an idtech issue and that's the megatexture fade in/load. It's very obvious when you load a save game into a new area.

Why did console gaming take us here?

Great to be back! :up:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I'm downloading the superior PC version of Doom right now.

:suicide: GameHED :suicide:
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Kind of want Doom over Unchartered now. Didn't mind the first three hours of Uncharted that I played but it was heavily scripted. Doom looks like awesome 90s fun.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Unchartered :lol:
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Glad someone was paying attention _b

About as sophisticated as I go in terms of humor
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

http://wccftech.com/nviidia-gtx-1080-review-roundup/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1080 reviews are out, so far looking at around 20-30% performance improvement over a 980Ti. DX12 performance mirrors maxwell currently, so it looks like nvidia still have some async compute woes. Overclocks good but hits thermal limits very quickly and throttles. The temps are too high for my liking, I'd wait for better 3rd party coolers to hit the scene. It's clear they lied/mislead the 67 degrees Celsius @2100 Mhz claim on the founders edition.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

http://videocardz.com/60127/nvidia-gefo ... cuda-cores" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is getting interesting, with the loss of G5X and the massive cut down on GTX 1070 it points to poor yields! The optimal cut-down variant is directly related to wafer-sort statistics. The FE edition makes more sense now, a marketing spin to make up for the failure rates. These are smaller dies and yet they are looking to charge a much higher premium. granted the performance is there to almost justify it, the real reason is poor yields. Now it's AMD's turn to make the move. Come on AMD make it a good fight now.
1/4 of the chip cut down is pretty huge, pointing to poor yields. I expect availability of these new cards to be light.
Last edited by lestat on 18 May 2016 05:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Come on AMD make it a good fight now.
Good luck with that.
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

lestat wrote:http://wccftech.com/nviidia-gtx-1080-review-roundup/

1080 reviews are out, so far looking at around 20-30% performance improvement over a 980Ti. DX12 performance mirrors maxwell currently, so it looks like nvidia still have some async compute woes. Overclocks good but hits thermal limits very quickly and throttles. The temps are too high for my liking, I'd wait for better 3rd party coolers to hit the scene. It's clear they lied/mislead the 67 degrees Celsius @2100 Mhz claim on the founders edition.
You think it's worth getting a 1080 (I prefer Asus cards) or wait for the 1080ti version?
Kangawallaby
Netballer
XBL ID: Kangawallaby
PSN ID: Kangawallaby
Steam ID: Kangawallaby

Post by Kangawallaby »

I'm going to await the 1070 benchmarks before deciding which one I buy. If the 70 is within 20% of the 1080 performance like it was last gen. I may grab the 1070 and then get the 1080ti next year.
That will be truly a 4k card. (1080 is just about there) by then I'll be much closer to having (if not have) a 4k TV.
2nd place is the first loser....

lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Vince wrote:

You think it's worth getting a 1080 (I prefer Asus cards) or wait for the 1080ti version?
I think it depends what card you're coming from, from a 980Ti i don't think it's worth it, if you're coming from 970/980 yeah worth the upgrade.

I'm going to wait a month to see what cards from msi/asus/gigabyte overclock like, they put a non reference cooler and still hit limits, basically current boards are limited by the single 8pin power plug and 225w load. Custom boards from the majors will no doubt boost that power limit to 300w.

Also interesting to see what polaris is like, Pascal is basically a die shrunk maxwell, polaris has some major architectural improvements and AMD still has a distinct advantage/improvement in DX12 right now.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Card performance is certainly beastly, it's destroying SLI setups at stock clocks..
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... 080-review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

*Sigh*

I don't regret getting the 980Ti because I half expected the 1080 to be all that but still...

Looking forward to Volta though, Nvidia has pumped some serious money into R&D for this and the next generation.
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

lestat wrote:
Vince wrote:

I think it depends what card you're coming from, from a 980Ti i don't think it's worth it, if you're coming from 970/980 yeah worth the upgrade.

I'm going to wait a month to see what cards from msi/asus/gigabyte overclock like, they put a non reference cooler and still hit limits, basically current boards are limited by the single 8pin power plug and 225w load. Custom boards from the majors will no doubt boost that power limit to 300w.

Also interesting to see what polaris is like, Pascal is basically a die shrunk maxwell, polaris has some major architectural improvements and AMD still has a distinct advantage/improvement in DX12 right now.
I have a gtx 980. Asus model. Really love it but looking to go either 2k or 4K soon. I jumped in to the 980 then the 980ti sort of blew it away. Just don't know whether I should wait for the 1080ti or even skip the 1080 and go the next nvidia card...
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

I'm going to wait until Christmas and then pounce ;)
-------------------------------------
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Vince wrote:
I have a gtx 980. Asus model. Really love it but looking to go either 2k or 4K soon. I jumped in to the 980 then the 980ti sort of blew it away. Just don't know whether I should wait for the 1080ti or even skip the 1080 and go the next nvidia card...
It's PC tech - there's always something better around the corner.

I think it comes down to what you're wanting from your PC gaming. If someone is staying at 1080p I would absolutely not upgrade unless your card spits out worse shit than an XBONE.

If you're going beyond 1080p you would assess your options based on performance at your targeted resolution.

I can justify going from a 980Ti to a 1080 for the increased VR performance and increased 1440p performance as my monitor can make the most of those extra frames.

If I was still with my old 1080p screen I wouldn't even consider it!
Kangawallaby
Netballer
XBL ID: Kangawallaby
PSN ID: Kangawallaby
Steam ID: Kangawallaby

Post by Kangawallaby »

I'm still using my 1080p TV but I want the extra VR performance. Even at 1080p I can use any extra headroom in the new card to use DSR until I upgrade to a 4k Oled.
2nd place is the first loser....

lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

The only thing with this new tech is I can't see a lot of new games on the horizon that will take advantage of it, besides VR. The only big game i can think of is battlefield one, but that is frostbite and that already runs amazingly well on current cards.
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

It's for the higher resolutions, surely?
-------------------------------------
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Sort of, still seeing sub 60fps for 1440p games with ultra settings. The card though has enough grunt at 1080p to never drop frames. We're still nowhere near the point of running 4k @ 60fps.

For instance we still can't do crysis 3 very high @ 1440p at solid 60fps.

But you can manage solid 60fps @ 1080p.

Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Master Race keeps on giving. Scored a 3TB Seagate Barracuda for $90. Storage issues solved for the next few years
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

I have one of them, it's where I keep my games on. SSD cost too much for larger storage.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

I was going to get a second SSD for games but realised there is no real point. The only thing it affects is load times, rather go for capacity in that case. I figure my next build will follow the same pattern. Nice, fast SSD for the OS and general use programmes and a mechanical HDD for games.