Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Kangawallaby
Netballer
XBL ID: Kangawallaby
PSN ID: Kangawallaby
Steam ID: Kangawallaby

Re: Master Race gaming thread

Post by Kangawallaby »

So since I'm relatively new to the master race. Converted 12 months ago. Can someone explain to a noob why I should buy a sick monitor?

I can't find any benefit in my situation to playing games at a desk rather than a 65inch TV in the lounge from my recliner.

I've been toying with the idea of putting a 40inch 4K on my computer desk and moving my PC in there, but I can't shake the thought that I'd rather the massive screen.
2nd place is the first loser....

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Then stick with it. It's purely personal preference.

If you're getting 60fps on a massive screen and are having a great experience, don't rock your own boat. I did that for quite some time as well and it was awesome.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

IPS panels offer the best colour reproduction and Gsync offers hardware adaptive sync which makes a big difference in terms of screen tearing and slow down. However, if you are comfortable and happy with your current setup don't go a changing.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Just realised you need v-sync on in nvidia control panel too. I noticed some tearing, done some research and found you have to enable vsync in NV panel ( but not in the game options).
Kangawallaby
Netballer

Post by Kangawallaby »

Candy Arse wrote:Then stick with it. It's purely personal preference.

If you're getting 60fps on a massive screen and are having a great experience, don't rock your own boat. I did that for quite some time as well and it was awesome.
Yeah that's what I thought. I'll wait for Oleds to hit something close to reasonable prices and then I'll jump to 4k like I originally planned.

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I used to have this really good large Bravia LCD TV that somehow had insanely low display lag so I used to have Street Fighter gatherings with the local FGC at my place all the time. The fucking thing was insane for all games, just brilliant.

Then I bought myself a 3DTV, larger, new and fancy etc and even the "gaming" mode was BALLS for fighting games, so that's when I went down the gaming monitor path.

Had I kept that Bravia I may still be in the "PC gaming on a large TV" camp.

Don't get me wrong, this IPS panel is fucking incredible, gaming on this thing is a pure pleasure...but there's no right or wrong IMO.

Modern TVs are perfectly capable of showing off what PC gaming can do.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

I guess we cling to our monitors because there isn't a viable way to play with more accurate kbam on the couch. Also there is the subject of latency, monitors have basically less than 1 frame of lag(3-5ms). Most large tvs even in their game modes still can have around 1-2 frames of lag.

Again if you're using a controller, these things aren't noticeable and not an issue in general.

Plus for me, my PC is a PC used for work, so it sits in my study not my living room.
Kangawallaby
Netballer

Post by Kangawallaby »

Yeah either, either.

I'll cling onto my Plasma as long as it lasts or until Oleds are cheaper.

cloud
Hard Cun...too much?
Hard Cun...too much?
XBL ID: ACE VENCLOUDY
PSN ID: ACEVENCLOUDY

Post by cloud »

Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Is that the same graph as on the last page?

EDIT: I feel more comfortable in my study with keyboard and mouse playing games like Doom and Warhammer on a monitor than I would trying to juggle a keyboard and mouse in the theatre. I have streamed games like Mortal Kombat X from my PC in the study to the big screen (using Steam Big Picture Mode) though and played with ye olde 360 controller :up:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

New keyboard, came with a free leather wrist rest. Highly recommend Ducky keyboards, very simple style and great RGB effects
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Nice set up. Wish I bought a backlit kb when I bought my mechanical kb. Actually, that was the purpose of buying a new kb.

I overclocked my display to 165hz. You can do it through the menu options you access on the monitor, then restart your montior and change to 165hz option in nvidia control panel. I think I'm going to read up on it now, hopefully it's safe.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

What overclocking software are you using for that? Seems interesting. Pretty happy with 144Hz at the moment but wouldn't mind going higher.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

165Hz.

FUCK THAT. I want to underclock mine to 30Hz! #consolegaming4life
flipswitch
que
que

Master Race gaming thread

Post by flipswitch »

Rorschach wrote:What overclocking software are you using for that? Seems interesting. Pretty happy with 144Hz at the moment but wouldn't mind going higher.
Not software, it's done by pressing a few buttons on the monitor. For the record I can't tell any difference.
http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Review/41 ... 271hu.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't understand why they didn't have it enabled by default.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Warning before buying the nvidia 1080gtx from Amazon.

Don't buy if you're on 4K. :wink:

F for Fake
XBL ID: Thread Killer
PSN ID: Cool_-_Z
Steam ID: Bell end

Post by F for Fake »

I thought it was named as such because it ships with a copy of

Or is that a Founder's Edition™ exclusive.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I wish!!!!! Loved 1080
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

So I'm able to stream movies on my windows 10 PC to my to TV through MHL. I thought it was through the network but I checked in task manager and there wasn't any activity. How is this possible? I don't think I have any MHL capable hardware.

I'm thinking of picking up Rise of the Tomb Raider.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Candy Arse wrote:I used to have this really good large Bravia LCD TV that somehow had insanely low display lag so I used to have Street Fighter gatherings with the local FGC at my place all the time.
:rollin: :wanker: :rollin:
Last edited by t0mby on 29 May 2016 04:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Found some monitor settings on http://www.overclock.net/t/1581181/acer ... -pics/1560" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; post #1563 properly calibrated.

Now using only 26watts of power. Black levels are much better now.

Western Digital has acquired Sandisk.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/4414166519 ... ate-memory" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hard disk drive giant Western Digital has completed its acquisition of flash manufacturer SanDisk in a deal that will create a partnership that WD hopes will help it leap into the future of computer memory. The company announced plans to buy SanDisk last fall.

Western Digital’s reliance on spinning disk technology in a world that is swiftly moving towards solid state drives has been a cause for concern for the company that currently claims 44% market share for HDDs. Acquiring the world’s largest producer of NAND flash memory should settle some nerves.

Western Digital is said to be interested in cloud storage and computing solutions as PC sales continue to decline, so SanDisk’s know-how in flash data center technologies that provide more capacity in a smaller space, with less heat and faster communication have proven attractive.

All told, the deal cost Western Digital $17 billion in cash and shares, $2 billion short of initial estimates. The company expects to be able to make significant savings through economies of scale, expecting combined revenue of almost $20 billion with a better position to compete against Samsung and Micron
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Those settings look like shit on my one, the contrast is blown out hardcore, had to dial it right back.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

t0mby wrote:
Candy Arse wrote:I used to have this really good large Bravia LCD TV that somehow had insanely low display lag so I used to have Street Fighter gatherings with the local FGC at my place all the time.
:rollin: :wanker: :rollin:
Post early morning, edit it almost 7 hours later trying to get attention. Nice work there Jasper :lol:
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

That's cos.let I just remembered there was a Candy emoji. :D
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Candy Arse wrote:Those settings look like shit on my one, the contrast is blown out hardcore, had to dial it right back.

I think you need to also download ( need to be registered) .icc profile as well.