XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Re: Master Race gaming thread

Post by lestat »

We have car makers cheating on fuel/emissions. Now we have video card makers cheating on clock speeds.

http://wccftech.com/asus-msi-review-samples-accusation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://videocardz.com/61121/asus-and-ms ... -the-press" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The cards TechPowerUp has been receiving run at a higher software-defined clock speed profile than what consumers get out of the box. Consumers have access to the higher clock speed profile, too, but only if they install a custom app by the companies, and enable that profile. This, we feel, is not 100% representative of retail cards, and is questionable tactics by the two companies.
clockgate :rollin:

Damn it's been going on for a while too. :shock:
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting a gaming PC and was just after recommendations for stores around Sydney that have pretty low security. I've got some cargo pants that should house the motherboard, graphics card and PSU, but how do you usually go about getting the case out of the store unnoticed? I'll be using Steam to steal all of the software so I'm covered there.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

No good. Steal a van and do a smash and grab. That's how pc owners prefer to upgrade. And grab a pirate version of Steam running through a VPN.
PhoneMonkey

Post by PhoneMonkey »

Candy Arse wrote:I've picked up a few goodies in the current GOG sale. Anyone else?
Logged in a couple of days ago and GOG threw a free copy of System Shock 2 at me, with a timer. Something about a stress test.

Edit: Stress test giveaway, looks like I get to keep it.
F for Fake
XBL ID: Thread Killer
PSN ID: Cool_-_Z
Steam ID: Bell end

Post by F for Fake »

lestat wrote:We have car makers cheating on fuel/emissions. Now we have video card makers cheating on clock speeds.

http://wccftech.com/asus-msi-review-samples-accusation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://videocardz.com/61121/asus-and-ms ... -the-press" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The cards TechPowerUp has been receiving run at a higher software-defined clock speed profile than what consumers get out of the box. Consumers have access to the higher clock speed profile, too, but only if they install a custom app by the companies, and enable that profile. This, we feel, is not 100% representative of retail cards, and is questionable tactics by the two companies.
clockgate :rollin:

Damn it's been going on for a while too. :shock:
My MeGaHurTz have b33n stol3d!!!!11!
F for Fake
XBL ID: Thread Killer
PSN ID: Cool_-_Z
Steam ID: Bell end

Post by F for Fake »

PhoneMonkey wrote:
Candy Arse wrote:I've picked up a few goodies in the current GOG sale. Anyone else?
Logged in a couple of days ago and GOG threw a free copy of System Shock 2 at me, with a timer. Something about a stress test.

Edit: Stress test giveaway, looks like I get to keep it.
Grabbed Tie Fighter, Sam & Max, and Unreal Tournament 2k4 :stormrock:
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

lestat wrote:
Have you seen unchartered 4? That's what god coders can do on limited hardware. Imagine if consoles were not underpowered this gen? You pc guys would be scared of us even more but you are lucky to still be around as more companies go console focused.
I'd be impressed if they actually achieved the 60fps and visuals they claimed at the official unveiling. They've produced an excellent looking game that matches ultra settings on a PC @ 30fps. Problem is their linear prebaked lighting allows them the ability to do it on weaker hardware and it only took them 4 years and several delays to do it, lots of other games/developers don't have this luxury to "hardcode".

You do realise now that the console market depends on PC advancement more than ever. Sony is too broke and Ms is not interested in creating custom cpus/gpus for hardware, it's all PC trickle down technology. The industry can never go console only focused, that would effectively cause it to scream to a grinding halt in terms of innovation.

You should thank the guys dropping 1k on graphic cards, they're the ones pushing things forward for your benefit and the industries benefit. All the lovely graphic techniques you see were born on PC thanks to nvidia/ati and their huge R&D budgets fueled by PC gamers. The console contracts for AMD are still money losers and nvidia refuses to do them because they don't make money on them.
ummmm no. Console are fine without the need for pc. They have survived quite well so far thank you very much.

The reason pc survives is because the content creators feel sorry for it and need it as a testbed for their less popular franchises that might be too risky to publish. You and Candy are just biased because you invest so much into pc. Not understanding that if the majrotiy of conent creators focus on console, it means the sequels to games end up looking stunted when they get ported to pc.

The old days were better. For instance when Dragon Age 1 came out, it just came out as a pc title which got scaled down to console. I would prefer this. But since more people are buying and paying for things on closed platforms, the developers target the kids on console. Which is why pc (unless you bother to keep upgrading and use it for other stuff like work in graphics) to me is not as good a gaming machine compared to previous times.

It wa a good attempt at defending pc master race but it reminds me of all those smug guys that thought FPS is only for PC gamers, before the arrivial of franchises like Halo on Xbox. Peoeple have gotten used to sitting back on a couch using sticks now and compete with each other using a crappier-than-mouse control system to aim. It's because console dominates. And EB games shelves prove it. Candy is just pissed I am right. Why would I need to play my pokemon or mario kart games on a pc when they don't even need the cutting edge tech you fools?
You only look at one aspect of wars (the specs) not the overall picture. If pc was so important because it is so far ahead of console in specs, then under that logic Vita support would not have dried up compared to 3DS.
The japanese market is different. And don't forget what happend during the ps2 era. People could have upgraded to Xbox but it came to market too late so MS had to abandon the ship early.

Times have changed. Now the convenience of consoles factors into things a lot more because some people want to play in the home theatre and on comfy couch on big screen not in front of a monitor. Now you could say that you can get pc there too, but pc is still clunky in interfaces, for example many games wer designed so your eyes must sit really close to the screen just to read the tiny text. It's a different experience. Sort of like watching bluray on pc near the screen vs going to a movie theatre in relaxing seat and seeing a movie on a big screen. Ie your eyes are further back from the screen to prevent you from ruining your eyesight because your lenses in your eyes are not strained when you want to look at something small or in the distance which is what you'd have to do on a small montor when playing for hours.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

Is there a way to join the master race on a budget?
I don't need 4K resolutions or anything, but I'd like to play fora horizon 3 at 60fps when it comes out.

The old xb1 is just a halo machine now, it'll be redundant when I'm over H5
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

What's the budget?
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

What's your budget?
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

What's a budget?
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

Undecided, just want to know what I'd be looking at. Might get a laugh here but I wouldn't want to go past 600... No monitor etc needed.

Edit- I'd obviously scope out gumtree or something, 2nd hand.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

To build a new gaming system from scratch, $600 is not enough.

https://www.pccasegear.com/category/1411/systems" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You'll have to find something second hand to hit your budget, even then you may need to update parts, mostly the gpu.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

I think you'd be best saving for Scorpio.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

If you could bump that up to $800 you'd have some wriggle room, particularly with the new Radeons coming. Otherwise just save up until you can get something reasonably future proof.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

Yeah not building from scratch, I know that would be super expensive... Was kind of hoping something slightly old might be cheap enough and good enough for my needs.

Not sure about Xbox Scorpio, too many questions still... Will older games be updated at all?
For example will halo 5 be optimised to hit a consistent 1080p (or 4K), will the animations and shadows be fixed?

Will FH3 be 60fps on Scorpio?

So many questions.

Thanks for the info fellas, I've always been a console games so I don't have a clue how to enter the master race.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Master Race gaming thread

Post by Rorschach »

This was a real quick build priced through PC Part Picker. You could even go cheaper and refine the choices, particularly the CPU. With a bit more thought you could probably get to $800 all in with a Windows license included in the price.

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/RVvMpb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Consoles are a cheaper entry point but there are always question marks on playing older games and having to re-buy content.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Sadly, you'll need to spend more than that if you want to hit 60fps in the latest games. It still can be done but a the lowest settings. I'd keep my eye on Scorpio, but we need to have a clearer picture on what the console is for, ie 4K /1080p 60fps or a mixture of both. I think I read it might be up to the developers, but then didn't they say games won't be any different frame rate wise? :shrugging:
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

The 750Ti is a solid little card that will produce similar graphics of the current generation but with a better framerate. It outperformed the PS4 with Fallout 4. The 1060Ti will be even better.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

PC's are long term investment, you'll pay upfront more but you'll save on games and you can reuse a lot of components as time goes on. Ideally if you buy a good cpu/mobo now you'll never have to touch a thing except update your graphics card for next 5 years.

Yes I agree, scorpio looks like good value on paper, but we still have so many unknowns about how developers are going to use that extra power in their games, most people just want a solid 60fps in their games, PC gives you the choice and we know BC works brilliantly on PC, enhancing old games.

Wait for R480, 980 performance for $250us. That's good enough to run anything at 1080p 60fps.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

Great info guys, I'd better sit back to see how things pan out... No chance talking the wife into spending 800+ on a gaming PC unfortunately.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Cloud might be selling his, hit him up.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Kangawallaby
Netballer
XBL ID: Kangawallaby
PSN ID: Kangawallaby
Steam ID: Kangawallaby

Post by Kangawallaby »

I was in the same boat as you this time last year Jizz. I am not a PC gamer at heart so went in small at first brought an Alienware Alpha to get a taste which was a good little option and had more grunt than my consoles. The issue is once I got over my fear of PC gaming then I wanted more knowing it was available. So I sold the Alpha and got a proper PC and haven't looked back.
If your looking at GPUs I'd recommend a 970 as now the new ones are out you should find them cheaper especially second hand, this thing destroys consoles for example I was playing The Witcher 3 last night with everything on ultra besides two things (hair works and foliage distance) both on high, and getting 60fps no issues.

Regarding Forza Horizon 3 based on how well optimized the Apex Beta is I think a 970 or similar will have no issue with 1080p 60fps.
2nd place is the first loser....

lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

I will be offloading my Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 soon jizz, just waiting for my 1080 arrive. :)

Word of advice when looking for a second hand system, make sure you get one with good video card clearance. The G1 is 31cm long, some cards are very tall 140mm, so having a case that can accommodate large cards is beneficial. Also make sure the power supply has 2 8pin pcie cables, quality power supply goes a long way.
Kangawallaby
Netballer
XBL ID: Kangawallaby
PSN ID: Kangawallaby
Steam ID: Kangawallaby

Post by Kangawallaby »

My 1070 should be here buy the end of the week..... happy days :)
2nd place is the first loser....