Enjoying my time with Mafia III
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Re: Master Race gaming thread

Post by unfnknblvbl »

My ex commissioned me to upgrade her PC.
She's currently rocking an old AMD A10 rig in a Mini ITX case, and she wants to keep the case.

Needless to say, she's getting a Raven Ridge platform jobbie; AMD Ryzen 3 2200 and a Gigabyte AB350N-Gaming motherboard. The motherboard is a shit-ton nicer than my AsRock piece of shit (you get what you pay for, I guess). She's also copped an NVME boot drive (which I was sorely tempted to swap for an old SSD I have lying around).
Anyway, early adopters beware! Out of the box, the motherboard doesn't support Raven Ridge APUs, so I had to dig out my old GTX760 and take the CPU out of my rig so I could flash a newer BIOS. I can't imagine how anybody that doesn't already have an AM4 CPU and a bunch of parts lying around is supposed to cope with that shit.
Naturally, I nearly destroyed my CPU in the process; I dropped it about five times and bent several pins. A few minutes with a hobby knife got it all sorted though, but it was touch-and-go for a while.

It always amazes me just how tiny these Mini ITX things are though. The whole setup (minus the SFX PSU) fits in this box. With room to spare:
IMG_20180305_213320.jpg
I didn't get to benchmark it (yet), but I'm reasonably certain that it'll be fucking mindblowingly amazing by her standards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

flipswitch wrote:Enjoying my time with Mafia III
It's available in this months humble bundle.

https://www.humblebundle.com/monthly" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So worth getting on PC now? I heard on release it ran badly.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Depends, see I’m not running it at crazy high resolutions, just 1080p, and haven’t tried it on my gsync 1440p.

I’m getting 60fps.Feels good with a controller. Combat mechanics are very good, probably the best I’ve used. I like the driving. Has the old weighty feel to them. None of this twitchy handling, like shopping carts.

For 12$ plus those other games, very good value.

Trying looking at some benchmarks. I’m not sure what your specs are.

I had it at launch but the game was locked to 30fps which has been addressed now. There’s an unlimited option also.

Decided the overclock my cpu to 4.7ghz 1.224v on all cores up from 4.3ghz. Used the auto feature in bios.

Playing around in Watch Dogs 2, temps in the off screen photo, but seems fine. Temps were around 60c.

The cooler I’m using.

Does this mean my cpu will always be at 4.7ghz even during idle?

And at what temperatures should I be concerned at? I haven’t run any cpu benchmarks such as Prime95.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Benchmark results using CPU-Z. 70c
https://valid.x86.fr/4qugyv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Thanks for the thread bump.

More testing, this time AC:S. 25mins of gameplay had cpu temps at an avg 65c.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Just ordered more storage. 1TB nVme Samsung SSD and 10TB platter drive for games. Been running one HDD since I bought my initial rig in 2014 and worried it may die. Already lost a HDD (lucky nothing of note was on it), wouldn't want to lose another.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
flipswitch
que
que

Master Race gaming thread

Post by flipswitch »

Call me nuts, I feel like re-buying the complete Witcher 3 package ( with all expansions) on PC. I already own it on PS4 ( just base game no expansions), but haven’t completed it yet, and Kingdom Come: Deliverance isn’t really doing it for me.
Last edited by flipswitch on 17 Mar 2018 04:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Do it. I also owned it on PS4 but it's that much better at max settings on PC.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Best game ever.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

flipswitch wrote:Call me nuts, I feel like re-buying the complete Witcher 3 package ( with all expansions) on PC. I already own it on PS4 ( just base game no expansions), but haven’t completed it yet, and Kingdom Come: Deliverance isn’t really doing it for me.
You won't regret it.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

unfnknblvbl wrote:My ex commissioned me to upgrade her PC.
She's currently rocking an old AMD A10 rig in a Mini ITX case, and she wants to keep the case.

Needless to say, she's getting a Raven Ridge platform jobbie; AMD Ryzen 3 2200 and a Gigabyte AB350N-Gaming motherboard. The motherboard is a shit-ton nicer than my AsRock piece of shit (you get what you pay for, I guess). She's also copped an NVME boot drive (which I was sorely tempted to swap for an old SSD I have lying around).
Anyway, early adopters beware! Out of the box, the motherboard doesn't support Raven Ridge APUs, so I had to dig out my old GTX760 and take the CPU out of my rig so I could flash a newer BIOS. I can't imagine how anybody that doesn't already have an AM4 CPU and a bunch of parts lying around is supposed to cope with that shit.
Naturally, I nearly destroyed my CPU in the process; I dropped it about five times and bent several pins. A few minutes with a hobby knife got it all sorted though, but it was touch-and-go for a while.

It always amazes me just how tiny these Mini ITX things are though. The whole setup (minus the SFX PSU) fits in this box. With room to spare:
IMG_20180305_213320.jpg
I didn't get to benchmark it (yet), but I'm reasonably certain that it'll be fucking mindblowingly amazing by her standards.

ehhhh, I never got around to benchmarking it, but I did take possession of the old bits. Just for shits & giggles, I decided to set it all up in a spare case I have lying around here.

So, a Mini ITX board in a full ATX case, AMD A8 5600K CPU, watercooled with a 1x120mm radiator. Underclocked from 3.6GHz to 3GHz.
Idle temperature: 55'C

Just for reference, my R5 1600 (OCd to 3.8GHz) in a cram-packed case and watercooled with a 2x120mm radiator is currently idling at 28'C, and I've never seen it go over 40'C.

Nuts.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Bought Witcher 3 GOTY edition. Now I’m also going to use this mod, Super Turbo Lighting Mod.

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods ... escription" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was playing for just over an hour after midnight. Wow, feels like a new game on PC. 60fps and there’s zero input lag, it’s so responsive and snappy. The game looks gorgeous maxed out. I love the new improvements they made, such as better interface. It’s like I’m playing it for the first time.

I’m really looking forward to going through it and completing it and the expansions.

It really is a game changer on PC.

Nvidia tweak guide

https://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guide ... king-guide" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the GOTY edition, they must have done some tweaking of the colour ( like with the expansions) because I never remembered it so colourful and vibrant. I’ve been switching back from vanilla and the mod I mentioned.

They both offer something different, but I stuck with the mod.

Transferred to my SSD for ultra fast loading.

One annoying thing is, the pre rendered cutscenes ( there’s been a few already) the dialogue is very low. Never was an issue on PS4.

modded.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Can't wait for this to eventually come to the console platforms:
If only harmony gold didn't be such dicks we could be playing macross in western game machines as official products. (eg macross mech sims etc)
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Well I finally caved after watching a large amount of gameplay on YT, I bought Vampyr.

I’ve been looking at this game for a couple of weeks and prior to the game’s release I knew very little of it.

Played an hour, yeah, it’s not bad at all. It was great to see what this game looks and feels like in the flesh. The game recommended me the highest settings, which includes TX AAx6 ( I thought that would be overkill) it’s very clean( with some blur). In fact I wasn’t sure if the cutscenes were pre rendered because of how great the AA was, but it was indeed real time as it transitionsed into gameplay. I have it locked to 60fps through RTSS, playing with controller on TV.

What got me interested was the setting. Whitechapel , 1918. Dark and gritty ( with grain filter). Getting some Bloodborne vibes.

Post processing turned on.

Still in the prologue stage. Haven’t even got my proper jacket yet!.

Now I have.

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I've been looking at this game. Keen to get more of your impressions flip...
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

I’ve read it’s a slow burn during the beginning then it picks up. So far I’m satisfied. Every NPC has dialogue and a story, and you learn more about them through other NPCs in their social circle. I’m still learning the basics. I feel as I’m still in the tutorial process because they’re still explaining the game mechanics.

On how the XP system works.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/105231 ... -in-vampyr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

How does it compare to Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines?
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

I don’t bloody know!. Hah, geddit!?

I haven’t played that one in a long one, but I don’t think they’re that similar besides the Vampyr bit, but I could be wrong.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Never bought or played Forza Horizon 3, should I pick it up now or wait for 4 to come out?

For the record only played the demo of the original one on Xbox.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

During the school holidays when ebgames had half price sale, you could get it for $20. I haven't opened it but heard it was good. Borrow a friend's copy and give it back when its finished then save the money for 4 which is coming out around this time.

Warning: there are no aboriginees prominently featured in the game so you may be seen as racist for buying it as it is set in australia where black people may exist. If you buy it you might get doxxed by SJWs and harassed a lot by rich kids pretending to care about minorities and poor people like the developers of Kingdom Come. Don't cry when your kids come home crying about being bullied for supporting nazis by purchasing games made by trump supporters and gamergaters and which polygon doesn't approve of.

There are all kinds of crazy laws being put in place to hurt men due to having ballsacks which is the cause of violence and "domestic violence" (shouting is considered violence now). Tuck that shit in your anus and hide your penis if you want to survive in modern times and keep your job.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -hour.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

flipswitch wrote:Never bought or played Forza Horizon 3, should I pick it up now or wait for 4 to come out?

For the record only played the demo of the original one on Xbox.
I never played 2 but really enjoyed 3. Plus it's Aussie. The Winter DLC is really fun too.
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

If you want to play online with Ranchers (keeping in mind there's seamless cross-play between PC and Xbox) then you'll need 4.

If you just want to bash around in single player then pick up 3 for cheap. 4 isn't going to be a huge leap and 3 was already very, very good.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

I see, well, last night I put on my PC and searched for Forza Horizon 3 on the Windows store. Price was $49.95 for standard edition.

What put me off buying it was the customer reviews. I don’t know if I want to take the risk and I have never downloaded anything from the MS store before. Do they have a refund policy?
Lepo5
Kyber Felted
Kyber Felted

Post by Lepo5 »

If you haven't played any of them then you'll enjoy 3 so much you'll want to buy 4 as well. You MUST however ignore all game "characters" as they are akin to rubbing your balls with a cheese grater. The game play has nothing to do with the "characters", they simply don't matter.
Candy Arse wrote:
Lepo the Legend gave me his pair for free.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

It was more to go with technical issues ( game crashing eg), and problems with downloading from the store.

I’m fine with everything else you mentioned. ;).