XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Re: Master Race gaming thread

Post by lestat »

Yep IPS with pretty wide viewing angles of 40 degrees before color shifting starts, minimal ghosting with avg 8ms response time, leo bodnar lag on this panel is 19ms. It has great attributes for a monitor. I've put it through its paces over the weekend, trying lots of different games. I found that I can run 60fps 4k solid with every game it just comes down to toggling from ultra to high in some instances, the 1080Ti is pretty capable at 4k.

Looks like nvidia is going to announce the new Ampere cards end of march. Will be interesting to see what performance improvements are brought to the table.

https://wccftech.com/rumor-nvidia-gtx-2 ... -gtc-2018/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Saw you run Far Cry 4 last night. I suspect it looked pretty good on that display at 4k.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Yeah the 1080Ti can run that at 4k ultra, looks very nice. I haven't played PUBG in a while, loaded that up and found I can run 4k at High settings with textures set to ultra, it runs very nice now I was maintaining a solid 60fps with around 70-90% GPU util, looks like they sorted the high cpu util in that game, looks a lot better than I remember, I need to play it more.
flipswitch
que
que

Master Race gaming thread

Post by flipswitch »

I’m getting no more hitching/stutters in PUBG since my upgrade. Looks like my old hardware and slow DDR3 ram was the reason.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Yeah I know a lot of games get a nice boost from DDR3->DDR4 alone.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

flipswitch wrote:I’m getting no more hitching/stutters in PUBG since my upgrade. Looks like my old hardware and slow DDR3 ram was the reason.
What did you upgrade from? It's very ram hungry
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

3770k(stock)/980Ti 16GB DDR3( stock I think), to 8700k/1080Ti 16GB DDR4 3000mhz.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

I'd want to try it before dropping $300 but not a bad option for those who don't want controllers and joysticks cluttering their clean workstations.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Most gyro motion controls have a degree of inherent lag to them, I would wager this is the same. I can also see a lot of unintended actions as you furiously aim away, looks to require a lot of fine motor skills and muscle memory.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Is there anything you can do about GPU fan noise with high gpu usage, like better cooling solution to keep it cooler?

My 8700k will only boost to 4.3ghz on all cores. Turbo boost can go up to 4.7ghz for one core plus slightly higher than 4.4ghz on the rest, but due to my motherboard it won’t . Apparently it’s because of the XMP profile that’s enabled. If I disable it, it should be fine but I won’t. There is still a way to do it if you read through the overclock.net thread.

See http://www.overclock.net/forum/5-intel- ... stock.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And this article says it’s not recommended to enable it.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3077 ... 700k-8600k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

XMP overclocks the memory controller on the CPU, which puts more stress on thermals. This could be why your limited on boost clock when enabling XMP.

To get around these issues you'll probably need to explore overclocking the cpu, you might find with just a little more voltage you could find an easy 24/7 overclock in the 4.5-4.7ghz range.

As for the GPU, unfortunately the model you bought is 2 slot only, it would have been preferable to get the aorus models since they have a triple slot cooler and larger fans. I have the aorus xtreme and it's very quiet and never gets hotter than 74 degrees under full load, this is with clocks pushed to 2ghz+ and memory 5900.

Check your airflow around the GPU, make sure hot air is not being recycled, the non blower style GPUs push hot air back into the case, so you need to have a good case that pushes that hot air out to avoid the loop.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

I’ve noticed on my current GPU and my previous GPU, that when it’s at 99% usage and the fans are at full, besides the increased noise, the side of the case is hot where the vent is.

I was monitoring it using afterburner and it did reach 74c but with excessive fan noise.

It’s really noticeable when I play Watch Dogs 2 at 1440p.

Like you said, it could be an air flow issue.

My 1080Ti has some coil whine too but I believe it’s actually not as loud as my EVGA SC 980Ti when under load.

I might have to check out your video card.

I bought it from centrecom. Went over to their store and asked ‘ what’s the cheapest 1080ti ‘.

I’m starting to think I should have went to scorptec because they have a much larger range.

This yours?
https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Gra ... gIJ6vD_BwE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Speaking to scorptec, he advised me to remove the caddy in my fractal design r4, which I did. Now there’s a large space for more airflow. I’ll see how I go with that, or might still have to bring it in.

Cady removed.

Moved fan from left slot to right.
Last edited by flipswitch on 28 Feb 2018 06:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Yep the one you posted is the one I have.

The other option is could use a custom fan profile in afterburner. 74c is pretty good, so maybe the default fan curve is just too aggressive, you can trade some core temp for a quieter fan speed.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Been testing, though not monitoring with afterburner, heat is much less on the side of the case where it used to be hot, and noise levels are down. I’ve spent 20mins driving around the city in WD2. So I’m pleased now.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

I have that case too - removing the caddy helps. Even with my 3570k overclocked to 4.2 and a 1070 I barely crack 65C in PUBG when everything is running at nearly 100%
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Yep the caddy is just preventing cool air from pushing under the card. This is why I love the enthoo cases that have the shelf to isolate the power supply and drive cages. You then have a nice clear airflow channel directly under the card to keep it fed cool air.

Also your motherboard should be able to regulate case fan speeds based on your GPU temps, the auros board you have should let you use the temp sensor under the PCI16X slot. Since the GPU is the biggest offender of heat in my system, I have case fans driven off that temp sensor.

You've also got another spot for another case fan, wouldn't hurt to put another to create more positive pressure.

This is an old pic of enthoo pro m with my original gtx 1080 when I got the case, but you get the idea.

With the 7700k and cryorig R1 universal.

flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Where abouts should I put that next fan, lestat?

I was thinking side-case fan exhaust fan., because that’s where it gets hot the most.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

I would just put it above the other one in the front. Side case fans cause more issues than they help.

You want to keep the airflow in one direction as much as possible.

Ie.

flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Went to a store and they told me to put an an outtake fan underneath.Image

Is this the right method? As mentioned above, he put it as an outtake fan.

So I just flipped it around.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Outtake is bad, hot air rises, you'll just be sucking out the cool air coming in from the front.

Just flip the fan around to pull cool air from the bottom into the case. Then you'll have lots of positive pressure and the warm air will flow out the back and through the top grill area thanks to natural convection.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Nvidia looking to cash in on the crytpo boom.

https://wccftech.com/rumor-nvidias-gtx- ... p-to-1500/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty lame if true.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

lestat wrote:Outtake is bad, hot air rises, you'll just be sucking out the cool air coming in from the front.

Just flip the fan around to pull cool air from the bottom into the case. Then you'll have lots of positive pressure and the warm air will flow out the back and through the top grill area thanks to natural convection.

Yep, that’s what I’ve been reading. Cheers.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Just be careful with the underneath one, the bottom vent on my case gets horribly blocked with dust. Just slide out the mesh and clean it regularly.

I've only got the single front and rear fans on mine. Top ones are covered. I do have a Noctua double fan CPU cooler though which may help in keeping temps down.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

That’s something I’ve noticed on all vents with the R4. After some time they fill up quite a bit with dust, and yesterday when opening the front panel to access the fan, it was choc a block with dust.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

I usually clear mine out once a month in summer and once every two in winter. The front vent is the worst, but the bottom is pretty bad too.