View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 24 Oct 2017 08:38 am



Reply to topic  [ 527 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Elite Dangerous 
Author Message
Hard Cun...too much?
Hard Cun...too much?
User avatar

Joined: 10 Jul 2006 06:36 pm
Posts: 5308
Location: Inside ya Mum
Gamertag: ACE VENCLOUDY
PSN ID: ACEVENCLOUDY


20 Feb 2016 12:50 pm
Profile WWW
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 02:39 am
Posts: 3211
Location: 戦争こそ僕たちたちの生業
Kind of want to get into this game but controlling it with the game pad was not fun. At all. Liking that X52 controller but not I want to drop that amount of coin for just one game, maybe two with Star Citizen coming.

_________________
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.


22 Feb 2016 09:12 pm
Profile
Makes poor choices in hats

Joined: 07 Jul 2006 10:04 pm
Posts: 2685
Gamertag: Hercy
I used the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro and it does enough. Easily locatable for $60 (eg https://www.jbhifi.com.au/games-consoles/platforms/controller/logitech-extreme-3d-pro-joystick/251964/) and less if you wait for a sale.


22 Feb 2016 09:54 pm
Profile
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 12:56 am
Posts: 15093
+1 , the Logitech is a great inexpensive and game changing alternative. There's some discussion of various alternatives earlier in the thread.


22 Feb 2016 10:19 pm
Profile WWW
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 02:39 am
Posts: 3211
Location: 戦争こそ僕たちたちの生業
Cool, will check it out. Days off starting tomorrow. Will jump back in

_________________
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.


23 Feb 2016 12:12 am
Profile
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 12:56 am
Posts: 15093
I went a bit nuts and bought a Saitek X55 Rhino. It'd be awesome if I actually used it.


23 Feb 2016 08:17 am
Profile WWW
Makes poor choices in hats

Joined: 07 Jul 2006 10:04 pm
Posts: 2685
Gamertag: Hercy
For me, the game became too overwhelming. I enjoyed it in beta when it was just trading and a bit of shooting and there were 5 ships to choose from. But when the full game was released and the explorable galaxy was 1000 times bigger and there were ships and mining and landing on planets and missions and whatever else I didn't know where to start so I just... didn't.


23 Feb 2016 08:38 am
Profile
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 12:56 am
Posts: 15093
I really want to get back into it lately...but GTAO keeps demanding my game time. No balance whatsoever.


23 Feb 2016 09:30 am
Profile WWW
Makes poor choices in hats

Joined: 07 Jul 2006 10:04 pm
Posts: 2685
Gamertag: Hercy
I'm scared to play it again. I can't remember how to take off or dock so I'll probably just crash and destroy my ship.


23 Feb 2016 10:24 am
Profile
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 12:56 am
Posts: 15093
haha...same. And I have a sheet drawn up to map out my buttons on the HOTAS...still a bit daunting.


23 Feb 2016 10:38 am
Profile WWW
googlebomber
googlebomber
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 10:17 pm
Posts: 8631
Location: Just behind GameHED
Gamertag: unfunk
Mii: 3DS: 3797-6243-7145
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl
Rorschach wrote:
Kind of want to get into this game but controlling it with the game pad was not fun. At all. Liking that X52 controller but not I want to drop that amount of coin for just one game, maybe two with Star Citizen coming.


I reckon having a full-on HOTAS would make Kerbal Space Program an awful lot more enjoyable

_________________
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars


23 Feb 2016 07:40 pm
Profile
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 12:56 am
Posts: 15093
If you're thinking of buying a HOTAS, you need to think about whether you want yaw control on the stick or in foot pedals. The options are available, but personally, I didn't want to be using my feet to play videogames. The "best" and most expensive HOTAS (Thrustmaster Warthog) does not have yaw on the stick which I think is absolutely ridiculous.


23 Feb 2016 07:54 pm
Profile WWW
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 12:56 am
Posts: 15093
Well I spent a few hours re-familiarising myself with my HOTAS and Elite last night and made a slow million bucks in trade. I say slow because it took a few runs to get my hand back in but once I was comfortable, I was jumping from Pleutarama to Shapsugabus like a fucken space trucker and his best friend Bear.

I also bought the Horizons expansion (at full price damn it...it was half price a week or two ago and I should have got it then) but didn't concern myself with that last night. Loved being back in the depths of our galaxy again. Even the loneliness is enjoyable.


06 Mar 2016 12:37 pm
Profile WWW
A mayn mayn MAN!
User avatar

Joined: 13 Nov 2009 11:14 am
Posts: 3332
Location: Melbourne
Gamertag: Burnzoire
Steam ID: Burnzoire
First time in Elite for a long time. Flying around a planet's surface is pretty cool, and the outposts look great. The last one I landed at was at the base of a deep ravine that looked sci-fi as fuck.

The little LRV Scarab buggy is super easy to drive :keke: !


Last edited by Burnzoire on 07 Mar 2016 04:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.



07 Mar 2016 09:18 am
Profile
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 12:56 am
Posts: 15093
prickly


07 Mar 2016 03:43 pm
Profile WWW
Makes poor choices in hats

Joined: 07 Jul 2006 10:04 pm
Posts: 2685
Gamertag: Hercy
My main gripe with this game is the P2P multiplayer rather than it being server based. It means that if someone has a high latency compared to you (eg they're not in Australia) then the game pretends that person is in a whole other parallel universe to you. I haven't seen a single human player in the 20 hours or so that I would have played since picking this game up again.

That one thing precludes a lot of games features from being included, and even player generated or emergent gameplay. For instance, you can never have:
- permanent player bases
- epic space battles
- blockades
- piracy
All because you can never guarantee that you can see another player who's in the same system as you.

The game wouldn't even let me see Mister Gun until we formally joined a "wing" (game party) together. So even a player 10 km from you geographically doesn't have a good enough ping.

The developers don't have the resources to host servers, so I don't think this part of the game could ever be changed.

It can really only be viewed as a single player game, or at best as a co-op game doing PvE runs. The combat engine isn't strong or deep enough to make either of those compelling, IMO.


01 Apr 2016 10:55 am
Profile
Netballer
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 06:49 pm
Posts: 1140
Location: Melbourne
Gamertag: Kangawallaby
PSN ID: Kangawallaby
Steam ID: Kangawallaby
I'll probably grab this and give it a go once my Rift arrives.

I have the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. Got it on sale for 30 bucks a while ago and haven't really had the inclination to use it as yet.

_________________
2nd place is the first loser....

Image


02 Apr 2016 04:01 pm
Profile
A mayn mayn MAN!
User avatar

Joined: 13 Nov 2009 11:14 am
Posts: 3332
Location: Melbourne
Gamertag: Burnzoire
Steam ID: Burnzoire
Hercy wrote:
My main gripe with this game is the P2P multiplayer rather than it being server based. It means that if someone has a high latency compared to you (eg they're not in Australia) then the game pretends that person is in a whole other parallel universe to you. I haven't seen a single human player in the 20 hours or so that I would have played since picking this game up again.

That one thing precludes a lot of games features from being included, and even player generated or emergent gameplay. For instance, you can never have:
- permanent player bases
- epic space battles
- blockades
- piracy
All because you can never guarantee that you can see another player who's in the same system as you.

The game wouldn't even let me see Mister Gun until we formally joined a "wing" (game party) together. So even a player 10 km from you geographically doesn't have a good enough ping.

The developers don't have the resources to host servers, so I don't think this part of the game could ever be changed.

It can really only be viewed as a single player game, or at best as a co-op game doing PvE runs. The combat engine isn't strong or deep enough to make either of those compelling, IMO.


To be fair, Elite always has been a single player game. I'm fine with that - the ability to group up with mates is an added bonus.


02 Apr 2016 05:20 pm
Profile
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 12:56 am
Posts: 15093
Kangawallaby wrote:
I'll probably grab this and give it a go once my Rift arrives.

I have the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. Got it on sale for 30 bucks a while ago and haven't really had the inclination to use it as yet.


I think you'll love it for a while. An hour or so of Youtube tutorials and you'll know mostly all you need to. I'll find the right ones and pm you. This game would perfectly match VR. Good stick too. You can pretty much assign everything you really need on it, even sits nicely in your lap on a stable table or book.


02 Apr 2016 09:56 pm
Profile WWW
Wants it in 8 Directions
User avatar

Joined: 16 Dec 2006 02:28 pm
Posts: 2668
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Skip to 7:11


Well.. things just got really fucking interesting now!


06 Jan 2017 11:37 pm
Profile
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 02:39 am
Posts: 3211
Location: 戦争こそ僕たちたちの生業
That's all sorts of creepy. Kind of makes me want to give Elite another go though.

_________________
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.


07 Jan 2017 12:12 am
Profile
Wants it in 8 Directions
User avatar

Joined: 16 Dec 2006 02:28 pm
Posts: 2668
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Given that this game has been out for so long and only now have they uncovered aliens.. kinda makes you think.
PLus.. just imagine having that happen just out of the blue. That would have been a generation defining moment I think.


07 Jan 2017 01:00 am
Profile
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2006 12:56 am
Posts: 15093
Ooh..that makes me want to take a look. Might venture out tonight.


07 Jan 2017 09:47 am
Profile WWW
Makes poor choices in hats

Joined: 07 Jul 2006 10:04 pm
Posts: 2685
Gamertag: Hercy
GeneraL CyberFunK wrote:
Given that this game has been out for so long and only now have they uncovered aliens.. kinda makes you think.
PLus.. just imagine having that happen just out of the blue. That would have been a generation defining moment I think.


Makes you think... that they added it in the latest patch?


07 Jan 2017 10:58 am
Profile
Wants it in 8 Directions
User avatar

Joined: 16 Dec 2006 02:28 pm
Posts: 2668
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Yeah that's what I assumed but based on the little bits and pieces I've read, the developers have hinted at aliens for a while now.. though again that could be effective planning ;)

The other thing is that someone was saying that the game has not been data mined.. or effectively data mined at least.

I love the design of it though!


07 Jan 2017 04:15 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 527 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.