Elite Dangerous

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Re: Elite Dangerous

Post by Cletus »

Frameshift tutorials. A good idea to watch them. Travelling can be a bit mind blowing.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

cloud wrote:
Candy Arse wrote:I'm in. Downloading now.

Tomorrow I'll go hunting for a stick and a good headset to use with the voice commands.
Don't waste ya dosh on a gaming headset...Just grab a sick pair of headphones and a clip on mic.

Here's the one im rocking
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?mai ... vAodTUIARw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've got a sick pair of headphones but they're only stereo.

Also I've requested a name change to Commander AlphaMale!
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Sorry, I don't think gingas can be Alphas.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

haha...nice! Added, fuck that was quick. My name change took 4 days.

That name again is Commander Gun, which Candy found is a game breaking name. You cannot add me as a friend. Gun seems to be a letter short for the in game friend search. So to be on your friend list, I'll have to add you.

Voice attack is awesome!. You can set one command to do multiple actions like say "Docking Sequence" and it can pull down landing gear, switch on lights and bring up the target menu to request docking rights. Then say "Launch Sequence" for it to pull up the gear and switch the lights off as you leave a station. And it actually makes everything feel so much more realistic because it's the same kind of thing we've seen in countless scifi movies. I started out thinking it was going to save me fumbling around a keyboard and that it has, but for making my ship feel like there's real AI, I'm floored at how good it is.

I also grabbed a heap of voice samples that you can add to the voice attack commands. I only paid $3 for them here but I'm happy to share the file. 88meg She sounds Aussie to me too... :up

So when I'm in my Sidewinder, and I approach a station, I say "docking sequence" and it does what I mentioned, but the ship answers me in a woman's voice with "ready for docking" which is a really sweet way of knowing your commands are working and feels like the "AI" acknowledges your commands. And there are about 300 recorded answers you can couple with commands - even variants.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

ooh I'll grab those samples Cletus.

30 minutes on this before bed last night and I already think I need a better joystick, already over using the keyboard for throttle.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Hey can you guys take a photo of your setup? Just trying to get an idea for optimal stick placement, seating position etc.
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

As the proud owner of a rift I ought to get this game.
-------------------------------------
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Mine current set up. It's a bit messy, I know. I have to cut holes in the desk to hide the leads. A job I cannot be bothered doing right now. By the way, I don't sit on the stick, the stick rests in my lap. Turtle Beach Earforce Seven 5.1 headset. I use the 40" 3D Samsung for games and keep the smaller screen for browsing. I'm still to try the game in 3D though. I'll get around to it. Been spending so much time setting up and the pay off is tremendous.
Elite Dangerous -- CMDR GUN
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Wasted your money buying the buggy pc edition which erases progress.

The ps4 version with sony goggles will rape the pc version. Talking to your ship is not practical if you are communicating to others while hearing noises like "help me you dick I am dying".

Sci Fi movies never think about the real world. Otherwise real pilots would just tell the fighter plane to "kill enemy so I can eat lunch" and it would be in wide use now. Would have been excited if this was a wii u title made by nintendo. But it's a pc title with lots of empty space and nothing to shoot at because that would be too hard for the pc gamer to cope with due to lack of piloting skill. Man I feel sorry for pc gamers. You won't even play the games anymore and want the game to play itself while you talk. :lol: Worse than mobile phone gamers who play games with no buttons. At least they swish their hands on the screen to give a rough approximation of playing the game. (one more sign of the doom of gaming and TV taking over as the new fad/gimmick which will make playing games a casual experience for your grandmother and grandfather to enjoy as the big game companies rake in profits from new markets)
All games of the future will not require any input. They are just going to be full motion video with kinect camera pointed at your toes to indicate which thrusters on the ship you are wishing to turn on and off. (people too lazy to pick up the controllers in the future as they are lazy and don' want to play games anymore)

At least sonic the hedgehog fans get to push left or up to go forward.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

I did read the first line but then...
Candy Arse wrote:Image
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

The big monitor Cletus, what is it?
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Samsung 40" 3D LED LCD Smart TV, so not actually a monitor. 1080p...so none of those ultra high resolutions for me.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

You will be unable to log in or launch the game until you update the installer. When you boot the ED exe the first news item title is what you need to click on to update. Hercy came over today to have a look at the game and try the flight stick. Couldn't boot the game which was a bit embarrassing. Anyway a quick search and install and we were good to go.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

t0mby wrote:
cloud wrote:
and for Voice Attack its a program that basically does what you say..So you can map voice commands to buttons presses.
Would so map the hyperdrive to the command "Chewy, punch it!".

I have a heap of different commands that all do the same thing so I don't have to remember an exact phrase. I also have the command "Chewy, punch it" which is followed by a wav sample of Chewbacca growling back and then "he" hits the hyperdrive for me.

A word of advice when setting up Voice Attack. Two ways you can do it. I went the more complicated because it suits me to have separate commands for the same thing.

For example, you can make the command "target panel" and assign the command to the number 1 (which is the target panel default). Then you just have to say "target panel" to raise or lower the panel. But I also have a command to auto target anything in my view which is "target". To avoid any panels popping up during a fight I've opted to make the target panel commands as such - "open target panel" and "close target panel". Both do the exact same thing but intuitively I can issue more realistic commands. And I can keep commonly issued commands such as "target" for exactly that. It just means sitting with voice attack for a longer period.
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!
XBL ID: Burnzoire
Steam ID: Burnzoire

Post by Burnzoire »

Commander Burnzoire reporting for duty
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

I don't know how much longer I can resist
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

I don't know why you're resisting at all. I want you in. You know it. Why make me beg you. Because you know I will. I'm not too proud.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Bought the Ford Econovan last night. Splashed out on a docking computer too considering the amount of docking I'll be doing route to route. I plan to haul cargo until I can buy one of the more heavily armed vehicles. Until then, I'm B.J McKay.
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

I bought a docking computer but barely use it. It adds at least a minute to my normal docking time.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Bought, will download and set it up tonight. :up:
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Cletus wrote:Bought the Ford Econovan last night. Splashed out on a docking computer too considering the amount of docking I'll be doing route to route. I plan to haul cargo until I can buy one of the more heavily armed vehicles. Until then, I'm B.J McKay.
But do you have a monkey as a sidekick or you just going to dress Toby up?
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
SKATKING AU
XBL ID: BIGROBau

Post by SKATKING AU »

Cletus wrote:Bought the Ford Econovan last night. Splashed out on a docking computer too considering the amount of docking I'll be doing route to route. I plan to haul cargo until I can buy one of the more heavily armed vehicles. Until then, I'm B.J McKay.
Are you using Slopey's BDC when hauling?
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

I have it bookmarked. Site was down when i had a look on friday night.

And tomby, mine is a mandrel named Andy.
Elite Dangerous -- CMDR GUN
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

The real question is will this run on a Surface Pro? Apparently it does on a Pro 2 which has reaaaally interested.