PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Re: No Man's Sky PS4 Space Exploration Game. New info Pg 2

Post by lestat »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There ended up being no landing on asteroids. There's no way to destroy freighters or space stations, and "fleets" in the game are compried of maybe three or so ships. Freighters also do not move at all, despite their engines always being on. All of these things make the game much more static and lifeless than we were shown. Scanning from orbit isn't possible, and it's been something a lot of people have been talking about. The scan in the clip covers a much larger area than anything we have in the game, as ship scans currently only find one location on one planet for some reason.
Faction affiliations have been completely trivialized from what we were shown, and seem to have been pared down to almost no significance within the last few months. Sean talked a lot about how you could have a significant standing with factions that would meaningfully effect the game world. This is not the case, the serve nearly no purpose at all from what I can tell. They open up a few options for things like shield and health recharges, neither of which you would ever actually need them to do for multiple reasons. You can also farm words from their languages at a certain point, but it hardly seems like HG meant for this. You can max out faction rep in your first play session, and there are only three ranks for each. Losing rank seems very hard to do, even if you're trying to do it.

Maybe the worst of all is that there are no faction battles to join. Factions don't seem to have any interactions with each other at all, let alone have giant space battles. This is a huge bummer, it looked like so much fun. Factions you're friendly with won't even help you if you're being shot by pirates right next to them! It seems like the whole faction element was almost completely removed from the game, and it was something Sean was talking about just four months ago.
No ringed planets, and no desert planets. Ringed planets were only talked about, but desert planets were on display multiple times. Considering planets look very samey in the game, who knows how much variety has been cut. There seems to only be typical out-of-bounds void outside of solar systems, so there's no way to travel out of them to other systems manually. If you go far enough out, things start bugging out, and your game will crash eventually.

Planets do not rotate on their axis, moons do not orbit their planets, and planets do not orbit a sun. There isn't even a sun, it's just decoration on the sky box. This may be the largest cut element, "solar systems" in the game are only static planets hanging in space. Whether or not you land on the dark or light side of a planet doesn't matter. This may have more wide-ranging effects than just aesthetics, as there were many things said to be governed by the planetary simulation. Planets closest to the "sun" are just as likely to be frozen as the ones furthest away, for instance, which may have messed with all the systems that relied on there being a meaningful distinction there, considering all of those things either seem completely borked, or removed outright (more on that further down.) In terms of player experience, the loss of the simulation meant the loss of dynamic solar systems, which meant everything became little more than a shiny diorama. This is another thing that Sean was talking about just four months ago.
You cannot scan or name ships, and despite there being footage of somewhat-complex flight, flight in the game is relegated to almost-autopilot in atmospheres, and sluggish flying-through-pudding in space.

But the big one here is that ships are all functionally identical except for inventory slots, all other differences are cosmetic alone. Your trader ship is as good at dogfighting as your fighter, your science ship makes for a fine trader, so on and so forth. Things like speed and handling can not be upgraded, and are the same for the first ship you fly and the 48-slot beast you late-game in. What upgrades do exist are linear progressions for your two guns, your shields, and your warp drive. Sean said this is a space game, and there's nearly zero complexity or depth in the most important tool for spacefaring. Just four months ago, this did not seem to be the case.
All the complexity and depth in trade, resources and crafting seems to have been cut from the game, and replaced with incredibly simplistic systems with almost no depth whatsoever in the last few months.
There was a lot of talk about all the things animals were capable of in this game, and it seems like none of it actually made it into the game we were sold. I've never seen one of those plants attack an animal, and I've never seen animals attack, let alone eat eachother. They don't seem to be capable of much beyond squealing, running/walking, and pantomiming eating or something. Aggressive animals just rush you until you kill them, that whole "shoot the ground and scare it away" thing doesn't seem to work, in my experience. They just don't seem to do a damn thing, and you'll clip right through them if you try to walk into one. Their animations are also really clunky depending on how large they are. As far as creatures following some kind of ruleset for what kind of creature can be on what kind of planet, there doesn't seem to be any. You'll even get what sounds like the same distant-sounding animal calls on planets completely devoid of life. We probably all know that call, it's that whale-like vocalization, and it seems to be the same one used for every planet.

They also clip right through trees and foliage as though they don't even care they're walking straight through a tree, so they certainly don't cause the leaves and branches to shake like in that one vid. You don't just happen upon some large land creature having a drink whole in the water, maybe because rivers were scrapped...
Clearly Sean was showing off a very different game four months ago. That footage is incredibly misleading, as it talks about many aspects of the game that no longer exist. Watching the IGN First from April bummed me the hell out, because that game looked amazing, and the game we got seems less like 1.03 and more like 0.5.03. It didn't make me mad, I didn't feel like I'd be straight-up lied to, only maybe unintentionally misled. Then just as I was wrapping this post up, I found the real kicker that pissed me all the way off. Maybe others have realized this, but I didn't until last night:

The most recent promo material from July, the four pillars videos released just a month before launch, are all using new footage from that same old build of the game that very clearly does not represent the one people can buy. That footage is still being used to sell this game even now, and it's no better than what Sega did with Aliens: Colonial Marines.

I feel utterly bamboozled now, possibly even hoodwinked. It's one thing for footage from four months ago to be unrepresentative -- development is a process, and things change. But a month old, when obviously the game had been significantly altered by then? To continue to use misleading footage in the commercials knowing the game had changed drastically? That's being intentionally misleading. It makes you wonder: if they're using footage they know to be misleading now, did they know it was misleading four months ago when they were making a big press push using that same build? As corny and melodramatic as it was last week, I think it's fair to wonder if we've been legitimately lied to at this point.

If nothing more, we deserve some answers. No more vague nonsense, but real answers.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

All those missing elements will probably come as paid DLC :lol:

This game is flop of the year thus far.

Poor t0mby has nothing to play all year, waits for this and it's a static 30fps space mining non-game :fight:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

The only plus about this non-game is that I named a place Beta Autistic IX before getting a refund, so at least GameHED gets to go home now and then.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Was very disapointed last night to discover the sun was fake.

Still it's impressive that there are 17 quintillion places to get lost in. Yeah I really did expect to manually fly from one system to another manually because it is part of a sim's immersion.

This is obviously not a sim but a survival game with a space setting.

The hype was ridiculous but in a way you have yourself to blame for partaking in it.

Woukd have preferred a HD Daggerfall remake from hello games with bethesda's blessing. If they can make environments like this that goes on forever these guys can give us Tamriel continent (but highly populated with npc and using ONLY TEXT NO VOICE ACTING) with all regions in one game aimed at old school elder scrolls fans where you could still float anywhere you wanted, climb walls to get into castles, and do lots of free roam shit that newer elder scrolls games don't have anymore because of how they handle player interaction.

I named my star system The Bus Stop. Will start using the names of games-ranch members for each planet. All those idiots like Jim Sterling telling us to calm the fuck down are fucking fools. We paid full price for this so it is competing with triple A titles which means expectations are raised. (despite the fact its a small team)
Total Biscuit is the only honest guy left on youtube.

Total biscuit rant on hype:
jim sterling telling people not to whine even though he whines about whiners and gets youtube hits for doing that job which gelps him survive so if there were no whiners he'd go out of business from lack of content and people to whine about (so what is HE whining about?? He can profit from the whiners by being the one to tell them not to whine and gain subs right?):
Sean Murray should apologise and admit shit that was said before in previous interviews is bullshit, and the bullshit is designed to mislead. If you want respect, only talk about stuff you know exists so people are not let down.

Now hurry up and do a Robotech Crystal Dreams game with action and proper combat, or elder scrolls retro game. What a waste of time... I named a bunch of locations on my first planet and you know what happened? It only remembers the last 6!! That sucks. At least I got money for renaming each one so I suppose I can't complain. Only so much space on the cloud servers..
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

GameHED have you gone home yet in No Man's Sky? When I visited Beta Autistic IX I was blown away by the reptilian wildlife.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

:lol:
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

If I'd been following development of this game and watching all the reveals I'd be gutted with the final prodict, but I didn't see anything except the very first reveal all those years ago and even then my memory is hazy so I don't feel ripped off. Maybe a bit disappointed now I'd read what was cut but doesn't phase me too much.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Nah no need to be overly annoyed, just submit a refund through Steam.

Oh wait :lol: :fight: :lol:
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

I could've gotten a refund through GH if I didn't like it. :D
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

That's a bit silly. Didn't you get it signed by GH?
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

t0mby wrote:I could've gotten a refund through GH if I didn't like it. :D

:lol: :up: :lol:
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!
XBL ID: Burnzoire
Steam ID: Burnzoire

Post by Burnzoire »

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

:lol:

Total dud.

Rebel Galaxy does it better with far more style.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

"Game changer for all games going forward"

More like game exchanger .
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I think now we can see the evolution of the money hat. Used to be pay for good reviews, now it's pay for good previews so the launch sales numbers are big...
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!
XBL ID: Burnzoire
Steam ID: Burnzoire

Post by Burnzoire »

It's clear now in hind sight that Sean's "bashful" appearance was really him squirming around lying about shit that wasn't even in the game. Dude got in too deep and should have turned down all those big shows until they had a game to talk about.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

flipswitch wrote:"Game changer for all games going forward"

More like game exchanger .
Game exchanger! POTY! :rollin:
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Re: No Man's Sky PS4 Space Exploration Game.

Post by Madmya »

Madmya on 29th June, 2014 wrote:Overrated. There I've said it.
There I called it.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

You did good.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

*nods*
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

They should have delayed the game a couple of light years for extra polish.
cloud
Hard Cun...too much?
Hard Cun...too much?
XBL ID: ACE VENCLOUDY
PSN ID: ACEVENCLOUDY

Post by cloud »

Madmya wrote:*nods*
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Candy Arse wrote:GameHED have you gone home yet in No Man's Sky? When I visited Beta Autistic IX I was blown away by the reptilian wildlife.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Well that's what they looked like in the previews last year...

Looks like it was downgraded a tad.
PhoneMonkey

Post by PhoneMonkey »

It doesn't how objective your arguments are when engaging a NMS apologist (developer lies, copy/past everything, shitty mechanics while picking up rocks and warping out), they all feel like they're going on some grand space adventure or some shit.