DESTINY |OT| Haters create their own reality.

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Re: Destiny Beta

Post by GreyWizzard »

I'm getting it for Bone.

Found the dance button.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Out in the cosmodrome I saw one dude sitting down on the ground and two players dancing in front of him. I lolled.

One of them may have been me.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

My worst assumption came true.

http://67.227.255.239/forum/showthread.php?t=862762" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Old Russia is EARTH, only one map per planet, 4 planets.

Considering how lifeless and small that area is I'm gonna pass unless reviews for it are excellent. I was getting bored of the beta already also I found the loot to be very unrewarding and not enough drops.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Nah it'll be fine. You just have to think back to PSO to understand how much you can do with only a few maps and I've spent 4 hours on Destiny and didn't see all of Old Russia. Add in the two expansions which you'd expect to be two new planets and that's plenty of content.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Lestat = Pessimistic Pete.

Madmya = Optimist Prime. ;-)
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Madmya wrote:Nah it'll be fine. You just have to think back to PSO to understand how much you can do with only a few maps and I've spent 4 hours on Destiny and didn't see all of Old Russia. Add in the two expansions which you'd expect to be two new planets and that's plenty of content.
PSO had a metacritic of 89%, if destiny reviews that good I'll reconsider. But I've already seen major news sites putting up articles questioning/listing issues with the game, many I saw first hand.

They opened up the moon and gasp it was the same enemies on earth, yawn we're going to be pumping magazines into the same handful of enemies over 4 locations with cut and pasted environments and loot/gear that barely offers any diverse gameplay changes, just not seeing the pull here...
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

That was my issue with PSO originally.. pretty much the same enemies.. only with slight reskins. You had exceptions though.. but for the most part it - the enemies were all very samey.

I feel as though given what Destiny is about.. there should be a crap load more enemy types and they all shouldn't look the same or move the same.
ObSoLeTe
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: OBY83

Post by ObSoLeTe »

so what was the update patch all about, turned on today, downloaded it and then find out beta is finished

"Old But Not Obsolete" - A.Schwarzenegger
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Really, it's over already? That wasn't long. At least the CoD4 beta lasted a good month or so!
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

t0mby wrote:Lestat = Pessimistic Pete.

Madmya = Optimist Prime. ;-)
Pretty much. Lestat, just stop and breathe for a second and stop jumping to conclusions. We saw two enemy types in the beta: the Fallen and the Hive. Both fought differently. As if they were going to show their hand in a beta. Anyway I just did a quick check of the Destiny website and surprise surprise there are two more races we haven't seen: Vex and Cabal. I doubt we've even seen all the different enemy ranks in the Fallen and Hive anyway.

Regardless, I happily played 5 different Halo's with roughly the same set of enemies and didn't care one bit. Fuck metacritic, if you enjoyed PSO and liked the beta you'll probably like the full version of Destiny.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Yeah learning that the beta finished today cut me deep. I enjoyed the hell out if the little I got to try and was looking to see a bit more... Oh well... 1st world problems and all that... :(

Are there different preorder models? I only see the vanguard at JB.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

I didn't get to play it a heap, but I'm probably going to cancel my pre-order... Didn't do it for me, I thought it'd be a much larger scale for some reason with more players, as it is there is fuck all to do other than head to the waypoint and finish what are short levels with randomly places enemies who hang in groups of just 3 or 4. And they respawn ffs.

Maybe I'm not getting it, it feels like halo with no structure to the encounters, no big scale battles and uninspiring enemies.

Bit of a let down
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Fellow Bungie community manager Eric "Urk" Osborne then responded to a 60-page NeoGAF thread on the subject.

"Destiny's pretty big," he countered. "It's the biggest game we've ever made, by far, and we're sort of known for making games you can play for months, years, and even decades if you're a little bit... dedicated.

"With Destiny, we're looking to exceed what we've done before, not just in terms of scale - the Moon is our smallest destination - but in terms of scope and breadth of activities. That's true for day one, as you expect, but it also means we want Destiny to have super long legs."

The developer has plans to keep players interested "months" after launch, he continued, with "cool activities" that it has yet to show off. Better yet, Bungie is making a concerted effort to keep fans of co-operative play happy, rather than just planning to release competitive maps as it did with Halo.

"We think we did a decent job supporting Halo, post launch, but we were only ever able to cater to the competitive set," he concluded. "That left a lot of players out in the cold. That made a lot of the team grumpy. We wanted to do better. So, Destiny is philosophically built support every type of player, and all modes with ongoing activities and events."
How's the digital side of things going on xbone? For instance, are games available digitally on day one? I want Destiny digital for ease of access.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

I am calm madmya I just agree with jizz's comments. I expected more, I can see why they're avoiding pc.

It feels like bungie bit off more than they can chew. By trying to introduce mmo gameplay elements and doing it poorly they've ruined other great aspects of their trademark game design.
Last edited by lestat on 29 Jul 2014 09:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

I just think the problem is people expected WoW sized worlds with Halo style epic encounters happening all around. It could still end up being a great game, but not in the style of what you expect and therefore a let down.

Still, only around another 5-6 weeks till reviews and gamers opinions drop.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Madmya wrote: How's the digital side of things going on xbone? For instance, are games available digitally on day one? I want Destiny digital for ease of access.
Yep digital games are available day 1, I believe online preorders might be ready before this game ships.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I have a lot of faith in the title. I wasn't expecting Halo when I went in and found something rather enjoyable. It's a different beast and people have to understand this. I see it been a real winner for Activision and Bungie and will have a massive fan base. It's going to be one of the long running franchises of this Gen. Hopefully this is supported via expansions and not sequels. I just feel that sequels would create too much divide in the community.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Agreed.

Enemies out in the cosmodrome need to hang out in small packs and respawn due to the way they've set it up. You can't join the cosmodrome and have no enemies there because other fireteams have cleared them out already - that'd be silly and boring. But with the way the story is it makes sense that we all share the cosmodrome.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

See I must be ignorant... What is the cosmodrome and what are fireteams?
I had missed a bit and had to switch off as soon as I saw the tower thing.

Do you see other teams on the maps? I only ever came across 1 or 2 other random fucking around as if they had nothing to do... To me it looked like each level could only hold 3 players and were so small and baron the only thing to do was head towards the waypoint... Then its back up to orbit, pick an area or simply go to the next just like you would in most first person shooters.

It felt so much like halo in presentation and controls so the comparison is natural, to me it felt like halo with randoms fucking about aimlessly, and with small scale boring battles... I have to be missing something.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

It's an MMO. Mobs respawn, it's normal. You get low level moron goons. Did you play PSO Jizz? It's fairly similar. Closer to PSO than WoW.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

So going what I saw of old Russia, the point of the game would be to hang out in those levels with a couple of other mates, kill the bad guys, move on to the next lot of bad guys and kill them, do this until you decide to go back to kill the bad guys which have now respawned... repeat this until you decide to battle the boss to get out of the area and move on to another.

If that's it the game just isn't for me.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Are there purplz in Destiny?
MiNiStRy
Occasionally Overlooks Gravity.
XBL ID: MiNiStRyS
PSN ID: MiNiStRy
Steam ID: MiNiStRyS

Post by MiNiStRy »

Ahh now that would be nice!
What about some ancient winged dragons?
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

I think there are purples! It's their 'legendary' gear and is noted by the colour purple.
jizzlobber wrote:So going what I saw of old Russia, the point of the game would be to hang out in those levels with a couple of other mates, kill the bad guys, move on to the next lot of bad guys and kill them, do this until you decide to go back to kill the bad guys which have now respawned... repeat this until you decide to battle the boss to get out of the area and move on to another.

If that's it the game just isn't for me.
You can play the game that way if you want. That'd be a pretty shit game though. It isn't the aim of the game.

Fireteams are like your parties. You can go up to anyone and press the right stick to interact with them and from there you can do things like view gamercard or join a fireteam. If you join a fireteam you guys are tied together when it comes to doing actual missions. You can tell people that are in fireteams because their names are coloured differently, and when you go to orbit you're joined by their ship. When I say 'cosmodrome' I mean Old Russia. They refer to that map as that in the story, but I'll stop now. So when you go down to Old Russia as a fireteam you see randoms going about doing their own thing too. I usually just ignore them unless a public event happens which turns into a mini-Firefight from the old Haloes. But whatevs, if you choose to do a main mission you just follow the grey reticle as you've noted until you hit a 'respawning restricted' zone which is where the real shit happens. From here only people in your fireteam are visible and you do the mission together. This is where the best battles are and I've had some bloody intense ones which left me feeling like I've just had a good rush. I wouldn't say they've been as satisfying as taking down elites on Legendary in Halo but I've only played normal difficulty thus far, and don't have many abilities unlocked so it would be harsh of me to judge.

I would liken roaming around Russia killing small groups of Fallen as 'fucking around'. As we've said, this is like PSO where you activate a mission/difficulty, travel to the level and fight enemies on a map you might have already been on but with slight variants and harder enemies. The draw is the fun of the battles, co-op and loot drops (which are rare and I like). Pretty much PSO.
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

Out of curiosity... is it just on this forum that people are comparing Destiny to PSO?