Bloodborne alpha invites are going out.

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

GameHED
10000 words or your money back!
10000 words or your money back!

Re: Bloodborne alpha invites are going out.

Post by GameHED »

from eurogamer review:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... rne-review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Several elements tie this together. After taking damage you have a few seconds to regain that health by attacking enemies, which lets you sustain through longer engagements without backing off to heal. The dodge changes function: a roll when you're not targeting anything, and a faster sidestep when locked-on. The latter is a move of huge utility, and only uses a small amount of stamina, allowing you to zone in and out of fights as well as twinkletoes it around larger foes. But the most important tool outside of your main weapon, in PvE and PvP, is the gun.
the dodging mechanic is key to getting in the strike zones. Think of this like the dash cancel in astroboy in gba. Once you get used to it you can move fluid to attack more often. As a sword and shield user in monster hunter, I rely only quick combos at short range so this sounds like fun to me. (the tail sweep move of big monster requires you dodge if you want to keeping whacking the creatture instead of blocking it and having to wait for the slow stagger animation to finish) None of this shit is new. You had stuff like this in soul reaver games. Demons/vamps much faster than human so it made perfect sense because you would see a move coming a mile away and to a human it would almost appear you were psychic but you just perceive the world moving slowly as you are experiencing things at high speed while humans are going slow speed. Instead of making you super fast they could make enemies really slow in a different series; Giving ign noobs chance to understand the meat of the combat before playing in the deep end. The IGN God Hand review is example of them rushing to play games without giving thought to how the designer wants you to play it.(the game also doesn't have blocking and was hard)
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

I'm beginning not to enjoy this game. Have 3 more days till I take it back. Could be the first game I ever EB rent.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Finally got a chance to hook into Bloodborne, and I love it. What I've seen of Yharnam is like a cross between the opening area in Demon's Souls and the Tower of Latria. As I suspected, claims that a methodical approach doesn't work are unfounded, and the gameplay ultimately isn't that different from the previous games. Combat's faster overall, but nothing that wasn't seen from the more fleet-footed baddies in the Souls series. Enemies are still bound to certain areas, so generally you can avoid fighting a dozen dudes at once if you're careful (at least a couple have perma-died so far too, not sure of the details yet). Guns are pretty much a replacement for riposte, you're not charging around shooting things.

I suppose that's a difference in itself- it's early days for me but ranged combat is limited by comparison, no whittling down tougher enemies with 500 wooden arrows. I tended to hide behind a shield a lot in the past but got used to dodging and rolling instead quite quickly. I'm really enjoying the transforming weapons, exploring and opening up shortcuts and learning enemy patterns, and while it certainly has Dark Souls DNA it feels more like Demon's Souls to me.

On a technical level, basically every screenshot and video you've seen of this game is bullshit. It doesn't look bad by any measure, and as with past games the environment and enemy design is fantastic, but with the low framerate and inconsistant texture quality it's not a graphical showcase for the PS4. Load times are a bit long I suppose but again I knew what to expect. You only see a loading screen if you die or go back to the hub, everyones experience will vary but I certainly spent more time playing than looking at the loading screen.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

13hrs5mins level 25 character and only two bosses killed. Level design and atmosphere is tops. Love it when you unlock a shortcut.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

/checks your trophies

:t0mby:
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

So much love and hate for this game. Especially all the hoops you have to jump through just to play co-op.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

How are you going now with the game? I almost gave up early on, it really tested me ( those long load times don't help) but now I'm doing ok. Every enemy is a threat in this game, if they get a hold of you they can do some serious damage. Just remember when they attack and you take some damage, quickly counter back and you will gain some health.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

The Jimquisition for Bloodborne was utterly glowing. And he's Jim Fucking Sterling, son, so if you're not enjoying this game, you're probably just wrong. Great to see the PS4 not get a superhyped dud for a change.
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

I'm looking to buy my first ever PlayStation game.. This looks like it will be it.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Do you like getting nailed hard? If so then you're in luck cos BB is hard as nails. ;)
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Pointy Cat
What Amazing!
What Amazing!

Post by Pointy Cat »

I finished this tonight. Loved it. Easily better than Dark Souls 2, which I still enjoyed but felt a bit disappointed by.

Bloodborne did so much well, but a few things bothered me. I felt like they simplified a few things a bit too much, such as the way weapons are upgraded, the lack of boss souls, and the lack of armour upgrading. Also going back to a potion system felt like a backward step, no one likes having to farm, even if it becomes trivial to do later on. Also I know they were going for a far more consistent theme, but I do wish there was a little bit more variety in the themes of the zones. This is a very small gripe as what was there was of the great quality.

Very pleased overall though, a few smaller negatives were massively outweighed by the positives. I'll get quite a bit of replay value out of this still, I'll probably plod along for a NG+ run but for now I'm going to do more Chalice Dungeons, I haven't seen them all yet. I wonder if they'll release DLC, I hope so.
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

t0mby wrote:Do you like getting nailed hard? If so then you're in luck cos BB is hard as nails. ;)
As if you need to ask? ;)
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

GeneraL CyberFunK wrote:
t0mby wrote:Do you like getting nailed hard? If so then you're in luck cos BB is hard as nails. ;)
As if you need to ask? ;)
Just so you know, BB is short for Bloodborne. :D
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Not in my neighbourhood it ain't!
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

:rollin:
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

:P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Sure, sure...
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

Taking my time with this one (just cause it's so damn hard) and I made it up to the 3rd boss character. Fuck this game frustrates me yet I can't stop playing! It's so damn good yet the frustration from dying is crazy! Only a couple of admittedly frustrating things in this game.

1: the frame rate can get pretty choppy ruining movement, especially when surrounded by a few of those wolf-like creatures.

2: the camera, especially when locked on to an enemy and you're in a corner, is damn near impossible to control. Lost a few encounters due to that camera.

3: those bloody load times. I dare say I'd have almost finished this by now instead of waiting 45 odd secs to load back into the world. Fingers crossed they can patch all 3 of these problems right up because if they do, it surpasses Ori as my game of the year (so far...)!

Also, anyone here have Dark Souls 2 on ps4? Worth the purchase or just stick with Bloodborne?
MiNiStRy
Occasionally Overlooks Gravity.
XBL ID: MiNiStRyS
PSN ID: MiNiStRy
Steam ID: MiNiStRyS

Post by MiNiStRy »

Dark souls 2 definitely worth the purchase but you should grab scholar of the first sin as it has all the addons and a new area to explore.
Pointy Cat
What Amazing!
What Amazing!

Post by Pointy Cat »

Dark Souls 2 is the weakest in the Souls series but it's still an excellent game. Well worth playing.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

That patch can't come soon enough. Still, after going through hundreds of load time screens, I'm always coming back for more. I spent over 2hrs fighting the blood-starved beast. I had him so close many times but what helped me was using the beckoning bell and I summoned a CPU assisted player to help. Almost felt like cheating, the BSB was focusing on him while I was attacking and he was gone on my first try. Over 17hrs in and only 3 boss's defeated. This is going to some time to finish and I'm looking forward to seeing more.There's a surprise around every corner.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

EDGE score 10. :shock:
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

So it's the best exclusive on current gen consoles eh? ;)
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Yep and you don't own it :lol:
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

I've said before, ploughing through my backlog before I buy anything else. Haven't bought a game since Oct.