Street Fighter V - the best fighting game now even better!

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Re: Street Fighter V - the best fighting game now even bette

Post by Twiztid Elf »

I'm not sure what my CFN is. If it's the name above the Aussie flag in the top right, I'm: Twiz000
I'd be keen for some games, but as always being able to commit to a certain time to play online games is still an issue for me sadly.
Warning: I am extremely scrubby. Dunno how much you can learn playing me except a big ego boost. :lol:
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

I know, finding time is hard and I do feel sometimes that age is starting to catch up with me.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

SF5 AE is what the game should have been on launch. Will be buying a disc version when it comes out. Then whatever new seasons they release after that.

I get that people want to cater to just competitive online scene. But the roots of games that emerged from the arcades is the arcade mode. If ArcSysWorks and all the other fighting game companies have to put stuff in then I see no reason capcom shouldn't have to and get criticised for ommitting content.

Many people prefer offline local multi with people they know in the same room. And you always by default go with the rule: "More options is better than less options". SF4 had the right balance of single player and multi. Because it was an arcade game you could still go to the arcades to play. Whoever told capcom they don't need to continue putting in arcade mode in needs to be fired. They cost them reputation amoung the paying public who doesn't just play shit online. Couch multi is still the backbone of all fighting games and tournament are played that way. What arcade mode does is give you an excuse to play as characters you may not like or don't care to be good with and see their story and just get into the general play mechanics. And then once you have figured out what character you like to main with, you then practice them for competitive play.

Learn from SF4's success. Don't let Sony boss you around too much and try to make it into e-sport only product. When you rush shit, the fighting game fans can tell. (balance issues, lack of content, the sense that you are holding back characters from them just so you can charge them more money as DLC to milk their wallets dry etc - look how many characters KOF14 had right from the start)

Once you get enough money and earned trust of fans, ....THEN you can care about the competitive scene and how it survives as a serious online game that people like to play everyday and won't trade into EB games lol. But you DON'T want to risk getting shit metacritic scores with the base that supports you in funding. Big mistake rushing the game out so quickly. :down: I hope they have learned from that.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Advice from GameHED the fighting game expert who is too scared to actually play anyone :lol:
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Candy Arse wrote:Advice from GameHED the fighting game expert who is too scared to actually play anyone :lol:
LOL I don't own the game. Will buy soon though.

I boycotted the title after realising it wasn't ready and Sony rushed them to bring it out too early. So important that capcom doesn't treat SF like crap and do what they did to megaman and neglect it. You should try DBFZ. It's not a party fighting game like Smash Bros. It's basically MVC with DB license. Hopefully capcom copies the look of this game by making 3d polygonal graphics which look like hand drawn sprites for a possible Capcom vs SNK sequel. If they take my advice they won't suck. Personally I think they should take a break with SF for a while and do Darkstalkers reboot. (hire animators who have worked in the tv animation industry to help with the coloring and look of the character. They are cheaping out ever since street fighter 4 and what people want more of is Street Fighter 3 looking anime-colored palette with flat texturing like the Street Fighter II animated movie not toy story shit)

Give us back stuff that looks like this shit (KOF13 example):
ImageImage

but make it polygonal like the graphics in guilty gear Xrd and Dragonball FighterZ so they can play around with dramatic camera angles and shit. Then people will come back to SF after being scared off by SFV original release. Games like Okami and Viewtiful Joe once gave the capcom brand a sense of style but they've lost that when everything became about makning resident evil into a COD zombie shooter. (that's when they jumped the shark ie when they hoped to become "little EA")
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

So if you don't own the game, why are you in here trying to give your worthless opinions on it? What a scrub :lol:
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Capcom is doing poorly thanks to not understanding what value is to the public who plays a lot of different games and not just capcom stuff.

King of Fighters, Dragonball FighterZ, Tekken ..all feel like polished pieces of software where the software felt finished on release day. If you just hang around people of the same mind what you get is an echo chamber. The reason nobody trusts you here candy is you show everyday how much a fanboy you are. You bash amazing fighters like smash bros and look at the metacriic score. Yeah I guess nintendo is doomed because people with shit taste can't play it. And I guess having rushed releases is better than finished games. lol We should all listen to you and watch capcom lose its reputation. You are the guy that will try to work as an apologist for anything that is crap but which you are a fan of. That's not how companies survive. You don't deliberately make shit games for a tiny audience and then expect that series to continue hoping that the tiny community is going to sustain it. DBFZ caught up in sales to SFV and if capcom had the license to that, they'd be the ones rolling in the dough right now and not ArcSysWorks. I bet we won't see much DLC for MvC Infinite due to how many prefer the underdog's MVC-style title. hehe :lol:

I know you love to brown nose publishing giants but the underdog ArcSysWorks kicked their arse this time. Can't wait for Switch to get a DBFZ port! Playing that on the bus is going to be fun. Bandai Namco deserve respect for keeping the quality high.
Capcom promises to keep QC high but we must always be honest to them about what we think Candy or they will slack off like EA your fave publisher of all time. :P

Capcom humbly admits they fucked up (unlike Candy Arse):
https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comments ... es_better/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The only thing that can save them is Capcom vs SNK 3 and a move back to the hand drawn sprite look of the past. With all the money they make from Monster Hunter World now they can give us back our hand drawn sprites. I don't like the animated mannequins look of their 3d stuff. Ever since SF4 Blanka* looks crap compared to how he was when he was a sprite. His arms are way out of proportion to the rest of the mass of his body. It looks like a fanfiction version of the character. You need to consider anatomically correct proportions that look appealing eg you can have a big muscular guy but don't make him have ridculously skinny legs that don't look like they would be able to support the weight above his body. haha You don't look at a lot of art and comic books so you may not care for little details like that but good artists do.

My solution to capcom sucking is they make a really high budget fighting game but only like 8 characters but balance the shit out of it. Don't cheap out and use motion captured garbage with 3d models and sell us 100000000 different costumes. Just make one really polished fighting game with amazing art direction and fewer characters that are balanced very well for tournament play. Slow down the gamespeed a bit but increase the skill needed to perform the interesting combos so the focus is on making the right decision and having timing to pull off the complex moves. Then later give option to play at super turbo speed as the unlockable. (older capcom games gave us speed settings. What the fuck are they doing taking this out? Who asked you to omit this? Fucking retards)

*yes I am aware blanka has long arms and a mutant (his long reach with his arms is his gimmick as a mutant) but the mass of his body in one area looking like it doesn't belong to the lower body its attached to just looks really fake to me. Reminds me of Balrog in the original street fighter II games before they fixed it and put some mass on his lower body to make him look natural. Little things like this matter to people with taste so I don't expect you to care but it determines how appealing the game is to the greater public who pays money. Capcom sprite art just seems to be better than the 3D model art imo because it's more expressive of the power in the character. What I want is Street Fighter 3 level of smoothness and HD visuals of today without shiny look of CG models where everything gleams like plastic action figure.

related:
capcom aware of complaints by fans. Hopes to address the issues in future:
https://shoryuken.com/2018/02/06/capcom ... ir-titles/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MVCI missing from EVO 2018 (is the active community dead?):
https://www.playstationtrophies.org/for ... ne-up.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

While I'm at it: Further bad news for MVC fans...
https://steamcommunity.com/app/493840/d ... 328613093/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Disney to shut down MVCI in the coming months
I am the person who revealed that Disney was shutting down Marvel Heroes Omega about 2 months ago now has new info about MVCI

The same source claims that the same is going to happen to MVCI. From what my source told me, MVCI was developed to promote MCU crap, This was the aim from the start, there was never any interest in actual games.

Disney wants to develop their own games now so they can kill off X men and replace it with inhuman along with promoting MCU. The reasons are unclear however Disney intends to shut down the X-Men franchise which is part of the reason as to why they bought FOX.

X-Men being focused too much around social issues is a main reason Disney does not want the show to exist, it focuses too much on politics and libtards are anti politics unless it is for 100 genders and 100 bathrooms for each gender, if you noticed X-Men uses lines from Martin Luther King and Malcom X.

The new libtard generation is too soft to handle the X-Men, it is too macho and alpha for them, they want feminist nonsense and these things.
If true I think it's good because after Disney fucked up star wars, capcom needs to approach anything disney owned with caution and try to avoid them. What they can do is create their own super hero fighting game that has the "MvC soul" inside it for fans of the old MVC game who still want to play a capcom fighting game with fighting game characters and comic book characters. Capcom can follow in the footsteps of ArcSysworks which has guilty gear and blazblue universe and try to create a rich story involving many different people from other worlds participating in a multiverse tournament. (think of it like a VS game but with only capcom owned intellectual properties in it)

This would require a lot of character designers though. I think the main characters could be Ryu Viewtiful Joe and Captain Commando as the base. Then Strider, and Hayate, and Mike Haggar as secondary team and then these guys meet up with all-new capcom created heroes that were made especially for the new super hero fighting game franchise they starting up. (so you make a cyclops like clone, captain america clone, gambit clone, wolverine clone, rogue clone, magneto clone, juggernaut clone etc which play like those marvel characters from previous MvC games.. you get the idea... :D )

Later they add Megaman, Dante, the mecha from Lost Planet and build from there so over time the game has an enormous roster. (pretty much everything cool that existed in capcom universe vs all-new capcom super hero and super villain characters, in much the same way SNK put in Art of Fighting, Fatal Fury and all-new characters into the King of Fighters series and that is now their main tag battle fighter today. Capcom kinda already merged Final Fight with Street Fighter way back so it's not like this would be something new to capcom to do. )

Capcom needs to listen to ME not you Candy. You are the one that suggested nobody cares about the arcade mode and clearly you are full of crap as sales have shown.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

It has to be true because Capcom aren't even hosting it at Capcom cup. Definitely looks like Disney/Marvel pulled the pin on the game and it sold so poorly they can do it too. It just puts capcom in an odd spot now, they've had a lot of failure recently.

DBFZ is now the tag team fighter of choice, Capcom still has SF but it's going to be interesting to see how big SF is at Evo, looking at twitch streams, DBFZ is dominating. SF AE impact hasn't probably been as good as it could have been due to DBFZ capturing more mainstream attention.

We have the 30th anniversary re release coming soon, it will be interesting to see what capcom do with that and future fight franchises. Capcom has a rich portfolio of characters, they can do their own VS game or tap into anime like Arc Sys.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Yep. What would be good is if they do more polls asking what fans would like to see.

For instance I can imagine them creating a MVC without marvel heroes in it but more original designs the same way King of Fighters had new fighters made for the game and then adding Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting characters into it. They probably won't need to do that for Street Fighter at all. Just if they choose to continue a VS series without bloody disney who let's face it are adamant that we should like SJW styled heroes and accept this. But that is a turn off for the long time fans of comic books who want traditional heroes not the ones SJW want to push. Seriously I don't want Riri as Iron Man. I have nothing against these SJW making new characters if they wish but it seems like they want to kill the existing guys off and that is why capcom need to look out. After The Last Jedi (basically ruined Luke Skywalker and made him into a cranky dysfunctional teacher who hates himself for making one mistake) there is no telling what they will do next. This affects sales. You only have to look at comic book retailers and ask them how well the SJW marvel comic sells compared to the non-SJW ones.
When Disney owns X-men its to destroy the characters not give long time fans hope. And we have to look at this realistically based on history of their actions not expect them to change. (if they do then cool, we can trust them again but then you take risk)

The MCU is doing well because a lot of that has to do with the people in charge not being SJW and actually sticking to the forumla of what works. You don't see Thor suddenly be taken out and replaced with the female thor. So they played it safe and raked in the money from that. But disney don't want to do this with Star Wars for whatever reason. And it cost them as you see the toys aren't selling even when discounted. Because little boys have no interest in average people to play with as action figures. They want characters that are appealing to them. Once disney listens to criticism from long time SW fans then star wars can be as good as the Marvel Cinematic Universe and then capcom can rely on them again. But currently I think Disney is torn between raking in easy money, and trying to appeal to SJWs. That's why the marvel comics are doing shit but the MCU is doing well. The MCU took a long time to build up. Only problem is MvCI was bad timing (they didn't have x-men in at the time, and DBFZ stole the limelight) and also technical issues with the graphics.

They can learn from that though. They don't have to destroy MVC type games. Just try to keep the VS franchise going like SNK did with KOF, but try to replace the popular marvel characters with cool enough looking replacements. They create a multiverse much like what Dragonball Super is doing now, and the object of the tournament is to see which universe is the most powerful of the bunch by having each universe form teams and fight in tag match. This allows for all kinds of varied character designs and lets capcom attempt some original ideas. (for instance making every character have unique systems like Blazblue and SFV) I guess it will also give us another reason to see ads for new capcom properties. (eg putting in monster from monster hunter world as an assist or boss, or reminding us of older properties that are long forgotten like God Hand by having these in the background as fanservice)
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Blanka trailer is out, he looks nuts. :o

He's available Feb 20th, so only a week away.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Is that last shot from the Switch version?
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Oh fuck yes.
I had a quick play around with the Green Beast in Training this morning, and he fucking owns. :up:
:nana:
RIGHTEOUS FURY
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Capcom must be really desperate for $. Putting ads inside the game:
Hopefully the next SF game isn't exclusive to one platform. I think being exclusive actually hurt them by limiting who is going to buy it, thus turning them to ads for extra money to keep the series alive. Next game go multiplatform and do to SF what nintendo did for mario kart 8 (released a dx version) and smash bros (made a definitive release for switch with more stuff).

Fuck ads. The team behind SF should be encouraged to be more like the team behind monster hunter games. Show some class.
And no candy, I doubt people here care that much about what the FGC thinks about us and how they believe we are not worthy of being heard for not following esport scene. Fact is: It sold bad because it was released in unfinished state on day 1 which cost reputation with casual fighting game fans who play fighting games from many different companies, not just the capcom ones. Namco didn't cheap out so that's why people were not happy. Not because the core of the game is bad. There is a chance they can learn from this for the next game assuming the boss above let there be another SF title in future. (my guess is they are going to gauge interest in this franchise by how well the street fighter 30th anniversary collection sold and R.Mika rule 34 fanart.) The good news is capcom released disc version of megaman 11. They are slowly coming back to being themselves again. Monster Hunter World was their first step in the right direction.

I still think however they need to be cautious about disney/marvel. What capcom needs is to try to create their own equivalent to an "MCU" with their own characters. Before we had the MCU there was the old 90s marvel cartoons which were not afraid to introduce many different characters from many comics into a show. (no licensing mess back then) This was the seed for the future sucess of what we see as MCU today.
By the time they make a VS game, they can survive without marvel characters and disney. The first thing I would recommend is a King of Fighters type affair with darkstalkers, street fighter and final fight. Each character would have power rating so on your team you could have one uber powerful guy or three normal power guys, or just 2 mid tier guys. Also a power select option exists where you could have a suped up version of a normal power guy who is the same level of power as the uber power guy if you just wanted one-to-one. The suped up version can be explained to have been granted powers from the gems or some alternate dimension power granted to them for tournament. And it could explain how weaklings like Dan from the street fighter games can go up against say the uber villains like the boss from megaman X. (a pathetic loser is granted powers by divine entity for the time he is in the tournament. It would be like pitting Jubilee in X-men against say Thanos if Jubilee was suped up) Under this system ordinary guys like Mike Haggar wouldn't look out of place against darkstalker characters and resident evil characters wouldn't necesarily have to die in gorey way going against say giant robots because it can be explained away by divine intervention and power adding supernatural defense.

With the direction comics are going now (SJW infestation - even disrespecting Stan Lee after his death after they have hijacked marvel) it may be safer to stick with character you control. There is nothing wrong with "being inclusive" (comics were already that long before these people were born) but forced diversity where communists force an opinion down your throats is unacceptable. We boycott the game companies that pander to them for a reason: their ideology has no place in free society where people fought for freedoms that are for everyone. By force, you exclude, which is counter to your stated belief in being inclusive. You are hypocrites.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

I haven't touched this game in months, I saw the news about the in game Ads and I'm not surprised. Capcom has made one bonehead decision after another trying to monetize this game.

I think exclusively chasing the whole esport thing maybe was a mistake. DBZ fighters showed you can build a great game for casuals and still support esport.

I hear SNK are working on KOF15 and it will release on all platforms, same with the new samurai showdown. I think releasing on all platforms and full cross play is just a must in a fighting game these days.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Cross play I can certainly agree with. The key to saving te fighting game genre is making sure there are good tutorials to explain the systems for the noobs. This way they don't get frightened by the techical side to the fighting and become fans.
As times have gone on, fighters have gotten deeper and more complex but there is a way you can appeal to the hardcore as well as introduce new fans. One of the reasons Smash Bros has survived (yes I know technically it's not a fighting game but more of an arena battle things) is the moves are easy to perform so it's more down to your ability to do the right thing at the right time and less about doing a specific command in time. So my suggestion is capcom from now on has easy operation as standard but tutorials gradually educate people on weaning them off it. (like training wheels on a bicycle that you take off)

MVCI problem was it is tied to the licensing problem plus it wasn't a good looker for a next gen console. If capcom makes another MVC they may have to adjust how they approach the look of the game to see if they can steal away some of the Dragon Ball Fighter Z crowd.
Japan and americans both have different taste: the japanese like the comic tone, and americans like CG with some painted style so it looks like Simon Bisley cover. (what I call the "painted statue" look)
If they go for a manga/anime look I would be happy because I like Megaman, Strider, Captain commando etc to look like they do in games. But many like the CG toyetic look for things like realistic lighting so it will be interesting what happens in future. (the toon shading of DBZ suits the look of original characters and it pops out of the screen from a distance - perhaps capcom artists need to emulate this? Games like Cuphead have shown people like the hand drawn and hand animated look still)
There are certain things about 3d CG models I didn't like in Street Fighter 4. For instance Gen looks skinny and frail in that game but if you look at his sprite in Street Fighter Alpha 2 he is short ad stocky with a medium build with a sense that he is powerful underneath his loose clothing with beefy forearms and hard-boned fingers which he stabs you with to penetrate your defense. All the moves he does are deadly. But the modellers took too many artistic liberties with the characters imo. Something is just off about the game's look. The perks are you can make money selling costumes. So that's the direction they went: greed.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

It looks like cross play is going to be a thing for future fighting games now that they all seem to use the unreal engine.

viewtopic.php?p=440662#p440662" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Namco use UE, capcom use UE, arc sysworks use UE and SNK just started using UE for samurai showdown and future projects. :up:
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Eurogamer does an article on advertising on dhalsim's shrunken human skulls:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... ter-design" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dhalsim has little Capcom Pro Tour images on the skulls he wears as a necklace (those skulls, by the way, are those of village children that died during a plague, according to the Street Fighter wiki, which makes Capcom's decision to declare them ad space particularly grim).
lol :lol:
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

lestat wrote:I haven't touched this game in months, I saw the news about the in game Ads and I'm not surprised. Capcom has made one bonehead decision after another trying to monetize this game.
It's on sale from Steam for $10.

I bought it, saw a bunch of ads, uninstalled it and got a refund. Fuck that.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Confirmation there is not going to be a season pass, I guess this confirms that Capcom have already moved onto SF VI development.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

I hope they learn how to do expansion:

follow nintendo's pattern where you advertise extras months in advance. It gives the sense that you are not being milked. It's just human psychology to feel ripped off of things that were in previous games to suddenly have to wait for them after you paid upfront.

Namco did right with Tekken 7. Use these guys as benchmark. Also SNK released enormous amount of content for KOF14. It looked like arse on release day but the player never felt like they were ripped off. Capcom core machanics are fine they just have to look at where they fit into the fighting game scene compared to their competition. When MVCI came out, it was competing against a similar game with a huge Dragonball Z fan following and was destined to fail. (not to mention the licensing mess with Fox having Xmen characters) When SF5 came out, fans of the arcade mode had a reason to whine and bitch which produced negative publicity. When a fan bitches on social media, it spreads quickly.

Now that they are back to having good reputation (monster Hunter World, new Megaman game, re-release of classic arcade beat em ups and old SF titles on compilation) this is an opportunity to not fuck up the image of the company.
Esports will always be important for competitive scene but they got to look at the games as a product not just a service. IT's really a combination of two things in one. In a game like Monster Hunter you ae buying a game and can solo thing, but you will enhance the game being with buddies. There is no need to favour one thing over the other when you can capitalise on both. (ie make balanced core game, add characters and costumes later, and slowly balance test the complete roster through these esports events to maintain long term interest and as a quality control mechanism)

The generic game website notice when content is thin and will punish companies based on the value argument. IF SNK gives you huge roster day 1 they will compare that with what all the other fighting game developers offer and then reflect that in the final scores.

I think the future of fighters is they have a SC style costume edit mode. You can modify details yourself. But change the look of the characters a little bit too. (eg the bust size of female characters, the muscle definition of characters so you can have a guy with higher fat to muscle ratio if you don't want the ripped look. Are the females wearing heavy makeup or just going without? You can slut them up or make them more real. What about scars? Does M.Bison look more rugged and cool with say a few scars on his chest from his time beating up Vega or plain? Fei Long would definitely look cool with a chest scar like Bruce Lee in one of his iconic movies where he fought a similar guy to Vega. )
These are little details that let players feel in control over how they present the character. One thing I miss is the blood spurt* of old street fighter games. Sometimes when you hit the opponent, blood spurt might appear. (I think it was random)
Forza let you edit the paint scheme of cars. Fighters need this as standard. If you are untalented or lazy you can buy pre-made costume stuff from capcom. And the total pool of additional things increases as new costume mods and edits are released by capcom. (like the skins in minecraft) This allows the costume maker to tinker with new things when customising his character.

*don't forget character can sweat too. In many fighting games characters are always breathing heavily, but you should make it so they only do this later in a round or when low on life bar. The sweat comes when they are late in a series of matches. Remember when Samurai Shodown let you cut people in half if it was the last round? In SF there are no bruises like you see in the character portraits in the old Street Fighter II games when you lost the match. Bring that stuff back. If I'm Balrog and punched the crap out of you I want to see your broken missing teeth if I win. That was the soul of older games: it wasn't fully realistic because it was comic book world, but it had details to indicate damage is being done. They could have it so that you only get to see broken teeth and bruising and bloody face on your opponent after you finished them off with a super move and a regular non-beat up face if you just jabbed them to end the match. It will bump the age rating up a little bit but nobody actually dies in the game so it's not Mortal Kombat level violence. And an option can be placed to turn off the blood spurt, battle damage if sissies can't handle it. (even though it was in old street fighter II games)
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Some protips on how not to piss off fans:

-be transparent (always announce what you are making and a release date and stick to the date). It reinforces the idea that the content wasn't originally supposed to be part of the day 1 release but held back to milk your wallet

-never deviate from the initial plan. It' about confidence. If you say you will do something then change your mind and do something else then it shows you have no confidence in your original vision. People respect companies that stick to what they said they would do and fulfill a promise.

-if the previous game had options and mode in it as standard and they are cut from a release (due to being rushed out to make release date) then apologise to fans and reduce the price. This is a strategy to stop them buying other fighting games. A good idea is to role play: You think of yourself as if you were the customer and ask yourself if you would buy your game or the other game that still has all the cool mode in it day 1. Its a way to test if a game is up to par with the other companies.

-quality control vs value: a game with fewer characters in it is expected to be less broken than a game with huge roster of characters. You can either please the huge roster guys who want value/replayability or the quality conscious gamers who want balanced games with less choice but more distinct fighting styles between characters and fun competitive experience. If you make a big roster that means you got to invest more money on testing the game so keep that in mind.
If a player feels that there are too many weak characters that are not useful for competitive play, it means less money to you because they won't buy that character. So if you want to keep them happy: balance test it enough before release not after release when everyone finds out the game is broken. By this time they would have quit playing the game and moved to another title. This isn't as important for those who don't play fighting games competitively but it's expected that games are reasonably balanced on release day with balance patches modifying the game a little bit to fine tune what was ok on release day. If you want to make a competitive fighting game: then quality checking for balance is more important than impressing people with huge roster. But a huge roster increases a game replay value. (more experimentation by the player) Usually the larger roster the less expectation for balance. If you have big roster the reviewer can be more forgiving if the game is not as balanced as other titles because it takes longer to balance test. The ideal is a game with huge roster but its also balance tested well for competitive play and keeps player interested long after the game is done. (ie there is lot of experimenting, but whatever choice you settled with, you are not worried about getting raped too hard by people who exclusively pick the powerful/best characters in tournament to ensure victory)

My advice on future SF games:

-it should be tradition that a game has 12 character that are well balanced. 12 is a sacred number. With the 13th character being the secret badass character. (akuma-like guy which you need to unlock)

-extra characters are distinct enough from each other and distinct from original 12. What makes a character memorable is their quotes, powers, personality, and unique moves. Having too many clones ruins the mystery of who people are and why they came to the tournament and what they think to accomplish. It's padding to us cynical guys. Like those anime filler episodes where nothing interesting happens because it's stalling for time. Recycling content is cheap.

-the cost of the base game goes down as new content is added (poor guys have ability to play your game without feeling ripped off)

-returning characters are cheaper to purchase then newly-designed ones making their big debut for the first time in SF. It's fair to the character designer who has to think up new ideas to keep adding new stuff. It encourages originality and expansion of the universe.

-Rental system: everyone can use any character they wish for a limited time. This system lets people who can't afford all characters to pick any characters for say a month or so to get a feel for every character in the roster. If it's unpopular just kill it.
I think it's a good idea because it limits the risk that you will buy a character that you realise is shit or just not to your style of play. The rich guy is just going to buy everything. So as an alternative to poor guys, let them rent the entire roster to test what they want before they buy an individual character or seasons worth of characters. You may be a huge fan of street fighter but on a tight budget and want to only perfect those characters you like. How do you know if you like something if you don't have a chance to test them out? So the rental would let you see everything.
Deef
Collects Tomby Porn

Post by Deef »

Still
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

That Evo final this morning....wow.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

The end of the grand final was hype, the final sequence.

Unfortunately where SF5 is now, you pretty much win or lose at the character select screen.

Game needs to be rebalanced ASAP.