Alan Wake Trailer

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Pat
The Fury

Alan Wake Trailer

Post by Pat »

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41821.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Waiting for it to load on tas interwebs but posting this so people can see what has become of this game in its 2 year hiatus. Last time we saw anything it looked ace. NFI what it looks like now and compared to other titles.

Trailer is ~90sec long btw.
Pat
The Fury

Post by Pat »

Looks good. Looks Silent Hill 2-ish. Grainy filter, awesome water, characters look a little dated and Alan has pointy knees. Thats nitpicking. It looks really damn good overall.

Although I think they just spoiled the story in the trailer. :|
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Pat is still grasping that this is going to be a great game so he can redeem himself in the Candy vs Pat pimp challenge. :D
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Typical Remedy, the game's taking so long to come out it'll look pretty average by the time it actually does.
Pat
The Fury

Post by Pat »

t0mby wrote:Pat is still grasping that this is going to be a great game so he can redeem himself in the Candy vs Pat pimp challenge. :D
Ive already lost that one anyway, shot of a barrage of 10s tomnd 1s to Candy.

In any case, the game does look pretty damn tasty.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

Good to see he ditched that stupid scarf.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

Well if that ain't some of the shittiest character animation I've seen this generation.

Oh and can we install the strikethrough text mod. I was going to make my post more humourous by striking through the "this generation" and putting "last generation" next to it for much LULS.
Pat
The Fury

Post by Pat »

It will look better on smaller screens.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2

Post by Talez »

I watched the trailer on my laptop's 15 inch screen which is the second smallest in the house. Still looks like garbage.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

looks alright to me
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2

Post by Talez »

Don't get me wrong the environments are fantastic. The character animation just struggles to look on par with FFX little alone Half-Life 2 or Gears of War.
jobbidiar
XBL ID: jobbidiar
PSN ID: jobbidiar
Steam ID: jobbidiar

Post by jobbidiar »

just a heads up if you were thinking of getting this game, Big W are selling it for $74.86

Edit Pat praising a 360 game? Years before he put on his rose tinted wii glasses i see :lol:
mech

Post by mech »

$75 is pretty good.. I'm quite keen to get this game, but want to see if I can get it under $70... bit of a game backlog atm too.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Post by BruceCamblzChin »

I am keen on this but I doubt whether it will be at Silent Hill 2 levels of awesomeness, still should be something different.
Pointy Cat
What Amazing!
What Amazing!

Post by Pointy Cat »

GET.

Played around with it for a bit, it's a very polished game. I probably won't really dig into it until tomorrow night but I get a really good vibe from it.
Kangawallaby
Netballer
XBL ID: Kangawallaby
PSN ID: Kangawallaby
Steam ID: Kangawallaby

Post by Kangawallaby »

Yep diving in at 75 bucks. Even though I enjoyed RE5 I hope this game will provide the atmosphere it lacked.
2nd place is the first loser....

BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

GET!

First impressions:

Just finished the first 'episode'.

Way better than the lame-arse Alone in the dark remake from a couple of years back. Not yet in Silent Hill 2 territory, I predict it will land somewhere in between.

Atmos is great, controls are solid, story seems well written. Have had one or two good little scares so far my only complaint would be that it is a little easy? Plenty of ammo around an whatnot means you aren't shitting yourself about missing shots, I dunno, seems western game-makers can't help but give you a gun, I know if the Japs had made this you would started with a stick with a nail in and you would have the smallest health bar ever, now thats survival horror. Anyway a relatively small complaint I guess.

Game came with a code for DLC released in July, not a bad way of keeping you from trading it in quick considering the story continues after the game finished apparently.

Digging the music too.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Difficulty is ramping up a bit now ( I am playing on Hard) but still not really very taxing, perhaps Nightmare is the way to play it.

Digging the combat, quite good with the controls now and there have been a couple more good scares.

I dunno, it feels like it is missing the mortal danger of other survival horror games, there is no real gore during combat so you don't really get a sense of being injured and stuff.

Anyway story is very good and I am having a good time with this one. My fave of 2010 so far.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

After much buggering around and threatening to take my business elsewhere, I got EB Games to price match JB Hi-Fi for the Alan Wake Collector's Edition. $99 = not bad at all. Really well made CE. The game case itself looks like a big, thick book by Alan Wake, and it includes the Soundtrack + Bonus Disc + Book. The book looks good, proper hardcover book with a dust jacket etc. I haven't had a chance to read through it yet though :( My plan is to watch the live-action online prequel, then read the book, then start the game :D
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Oh man I was just given an awesome gaming memory for all time. You will dig it when you come to it,
[Click to see hidden content]
Checkpoint: Defend The Stage
in episode 4, completely rad. The hide doesn't really spoil anything but I wanted to be safe.

Anyway, the music continues to be awesome, even Sabbath-esque in that particular stage above, I am all over the gameplay, the story is pretty cool. Loving it, possibly my single-player for 2010.
Yo, Ambrose, tell me when you get to this tune, I bet you lose it too!
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

So reads like this one is delivering, Bruce? I'll trust your judgment given your ongoing Silent Hill 2 worship.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Yeah mate it is. Obviously SH2 is the pinnacle of survival/horror but this is a VERY solid attempt.

It misses the gore, as I mentioned earlier, and some of the more disgusting things that happen in a Silent Hill game that can really get you, the atmosphere lacks a bit because the score, apart from the cool rock tunes like above, is not scary enough (remember the HORRIBLE percussion in the Silent Hill games?). No real puzzles either which would have been nice. And yeah, too much ammo, gimme a pipe or something so I have to get all bloody man!

But the combat is largely flawless once you get used to it, the dodge can be a pain SOMEtimes, the story is solid and the action set-pieces, like the one I talked about in my last post, can be fantastic. I am holding on to this one to see where they go with the DLC.

If you dig survival/horror (and lets face it theres not many of us out there) then this is a welcome addition to the genre, certainly from the West anyway, that last Silent Hill the Yanks did wasn't real flash.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tysvNGGF ... re=related[/youtube]

Just to jog the memory of the awesomeness.

Watching some other Silent Hill clips I think they just aren't making the best use of the torch in the game. The way you can olny see what is directly in front of you in SH plus those horrible hallways you are always walking down which are only wide enough for one? Genius.

Anyways its not really fair.

Alan Wake is a great game.
Kangawallaby
Netballer
XBL ID: Kangawallaby
PSN ID: Kangawallaby
Steam ID: Kangawallaby

Post by Kangawallaby »

This game is OK, will return it and maybe pick it up when I am bored and its under 50 bucks......

Next to Red Dead it is impossible to want to play this.

Have no idea how it took them 5 years to make though.......... its just an OK to Good game......
2nd place is the first loser....

Pointy Cat
What Amazing!
What Amazing!

Post by Pointy Cat »

Actually I find myself wanting to play this over RDR. Different tastes I guess heh.

Agreed though on the five year thing. It's a good game but I don't get why it took so long.