Witcher 3 - Hype is REAL!

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Re: Witcher 3 - Hype is REAL!

Post by Candy Arse »

GameHED wrote:Skyrim lets you create your character though candy so it does have replayability.
Both games have replayability doofus - everyone knows about Skyrim but if you ever play Witcher 3 you'll notice that you can customise Geralt to suit your play-style as he levels up - focus on combat, alchemy, magic etc or a combination of everything but you excel at nothing. It's not as dramatic a difference as in Skyrim but it affects how you play.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Yeah but you are still a human not orc, cat, or lizardman.

these are important because the things people say to you based on race make the game more challenging or easier based on the area.

You can't for instance walk around in the day as a vamp and as a werewolf you are bad guy and nobody wants to offer missions to a monster as that would be irresponsible. It's not just cosmetic stuff like the look of the character but the way you interact and have to deal with racial predjudices as a gameplay thing rather than as a story thing, and what types of equipment your class, race forbids you to use.

In daggerfall for instance you could even create your own CLASS :shock: and even set rules on what items are forbidden based on the class you created and any weaknesses they might have playing that class. (think of it like perks in fallout but in reverse. ie your class might be extremely vulnerable to certain things so it's extra challenging to survive. One example might be a warrior class that forbids themselves from using shields or something because it's considered a cowardly form of fighting to hide behind shield rather than deflect blows similar to samurai) Can you see this kind of freedom in new bethesda games? Nope. But it's only because they are going easy on the competition by being complacent and assuming nobody else can make open world games as good as them rather than because they can't make deeper shit than CDPR.

If only Bethesda kept all the old systems and embraced the more sim-like things about them, then the open world RPG genre would be advancing, not regressing like now into action rpg which anyone can make. CDPR is lucky they are deliberately dumbing the series (out of fear it will be too hard for the average joe) down rather than catering to hardcore fans of open world rpg games. But if they were allowed to go full on veteren rpg fan mode they'd get the 10 out of 10 type scores from rpg critics rather than mere 8-9 from the paid off shill critics who got the freebies.

Bottom line Candy, there are games from 1996 that are more deep than ones made now and that is sad thing for gamers like me who actually play games in great depth rather than rant about how nice the visuals look on high end hardware. (not that I don't appreciate the beauty but at the end of the day you get used to that and your mind focuses on the other things that make the game enjoyable)

As good as witcher is you are still playing a character that is pregenerated for you. The author of the witcher books did all the role playing for you and put you on rails. That's not the same as you building it from nothing and having to think about your character's history and things he/she is shit at and good at. You are always going to be the character from the novel. Not the character you created and designed. Yes you can have variations of the character like how you see different versions of batman by different comic artists and stuff over the time, but that's still the same character. You can bullshit everyone else here but not me lizardboy. Learn the advantage of a game that isn't tied to a license.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Candy Arse wrote:
GameHED wrote:Skyrim lets you create your character though candy so it does have replayability.
Both games have replayability doofus - everyone knows about Skyrim but if you ever play Witcher 3 you'll notice that you can customise Geralt to suit your play-style as he levels up - focus on combat, alchemy, magic etc or a combination of everything but you excel at nothing. It's not as dramatic a difference as in Skyrim but it affects how you play.
Yeah, I made Geralt one bad ass mofo who I liked to just beat the shit out of everyone with lol. Geez this game consumed me for ages when it came out, once I finished the story and all I think all the side quests or most of them I unfortunately lose interest straight away, I'm not a fan of prequel story dlc either. Kind of tempted to re-install it though, I won't be able to remember anything but there were a few Gwent cards I didn't have which shit me as I played everyone in Gwent I could so I'm baffled as to what one I'm missing.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

I still haven't proceeded to Skellige despite having several quests to do there, but I think it's time to go. I'm doing side quests at the moment, well those "?" markers on the map in Velen/Novigrad and I'm starting to lose interest in it.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Mainline the story, you won't regret it. Fucking Lord of The Rings-quality stuff....
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Holy shit. Just...watch this video.
PhoneMonkey

Post by PhoneMonkey »

Blood and Wine landed today. Conclusion to one of the best games in the last 5 years IMO.

Sad to think there will be no more Witcher for a good while, though I'll enjoy it as much as I can @ 1080p/60fps/ultra.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Arguably the best game in the last 5 years.
PhoneMonkey

Post by PhoneMonkey »

Pre DLC patch brought with it completely revamped in-game menus - separate sub menus for oils, potions, consumables, armour. Map's been redone. They've sorted the Gwent side quest. Tons of other subtle improvements. New area is huge, picked up three side quests on the first notice board.

I'd say it's just about perfect now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

I must admit, I wasn't really a fan of the Witcher up until this point however given I overpaid for it last year through Steam I've been pushing through. Had some technical difficulties with it the last few days - think it doesn't like 144Hz monitors and was constantly crashing. Reverted back to an old Nvidia driver and my 60Hz Dell and fingers crossed, not a single issue. Just finished the Bloody Baron main quest line and think now I can see why everyone loves this game. Going to go through to the end and finish it. Game looks amazing at 100fps and ultra settings.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Is it working in your beast monitor now? No issues here at all. Game looks amazing...plays amazing...IS amazing.

P.S it's a cinematic game, you should run it at 24fps.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Witcher 3 - Hype is REAL!

Post by Rorschach »

Not sure what the issue is but it doesn't want to play on the Gsync. The Dell is good though, Premiercolor IPS panel so colours look amazing. Don't need to worry about framerates because, well, who worries about framerates on PC? :)
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

That's really weird. I run it on gsync ripping off ABOVE 60fps and it's awesome.

Well...it's actually just "ok". If I had any sense about me I'd drop the resolution and cap the framerate at 24 to get the superior console experience :suicide:
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Are you playing with Hairworks enabled?
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Disabled anything Nvidia related. Read a fair bit, issue was memory leak related. Tech from CD Projeckt RED suggested rolling back to driver 362.00 and not use multiple monitors, not even a second screen. Did all that but it kept crashing. Read other stories from users saying Witcher doesn't like playing too high above 60fps and 60Hz. Long story short, just went back to using the Dell. The Dell smashes the BenQ for colour but no Gsync. My bad luck buying a Gsync for the 760 when I should have thought ahead and bought something like 1440p and IPS. Live and learn.

P.S. Anyone interested or knows anyone, BenQ XL2420G might be up for sale shortly :)
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Yep, really enjoying this game now. I think I was just stuck in the swamp area too long and got the idea that the entire game was like that. Finally in a different locale and I have my head around the upgrade system. Starting to unlock better equipment as well. Looks like this will be the game I'll be playing for the next couple of months.
Yoshi Sonic

Post by Yoshi Sonic »

Oh! I'll be glad to leave this swamp.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Yeah, it was a very detailed and windy swamp but still just a swamp. The starting areas of the game are actually pretty unappealing to be honest. Looking a whole lot better now though.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Velen is deliberately designed like that as it's been the most affected by war. Novigrad is much nicer and Skellige is spectacular.
PhoneMonkey

Post by PhoneMonkey »

Like Candy Arse said, once you head north, things are much more civilised. Also, in Blood and Wine, Toussaint is like the south of France, with vineyards and all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Up to 23 hours in, 11 hours since the game last crashed and all is good (touch wood). So much so I bought the season pass which was actually a decent price. Really loving this game now. Wish I'd been able to get into it last year not have waited so long.
PhoneMonkey

Post by PhoneMonkey »

On a quality and an hour for hour basis, the Witcher DLC is probably the best value I've seen.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I'm getting stuck into the DLC over the weekend. Total Warhammer can wait a while.
Wish I'd been able to get into it last year not have waited so long.
On the bright side, you're now playing the best version of the game by a mile. Controls, interface etc. The game was amazing at launch but they've continually refined and improved it since the release much like they did with Witcher 2.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Damn, crashing every 10 minutes now. Just can't win with this game :/
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

PCs... AMIRITE?!