Witcher 3 - Hype is REAL!

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Re: Witcher 3 - Hype is REAL!

Post by Rorschach »

Definitely enjoying it now. Played about 5 hours. Lots of backstory I have no idea about, just enjoying the ride. Slightly tank-like controls at times but Red Dead was similar. Basically feels like a fantasy version of Red Dead which suits me fine.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

Thanks man I will check that out.

Hopefully I can get through this battle and salvage my save game.
-------------------------------------
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Came across a quest by accident last night in Skellidge about a tower. Turned out it was quite difficult with all monsters I think being level 29 and up and they kept coming but I got it done at level 26 with difficulty though I must say. I have come across a couple of very hard monsters in the isles one I had to give up it was just way to strong still, that one was out on one of the furthest islands top left. I can't say exploring Skellidge is quite as fun as the mainland as you gotta sail everywhere and then u gotta sail back to a fast travel point if you want to leave the area and so far a lot of the small islands don't have a fast travel point for miles. I thought you could fast travel at anytime if you were on a boat but it wouldn't let me last night so not sure what the go is there.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!
XBL ID: Burnzoire
Steam ID: Burnzoire

Post by Burnzoire »

I'm glad I started on the hard difficulty. I've had to leave several areas for later. I simply cannot cheese my way around monsters with skull icons (humans are another matter).

Last night I was exploring the outer areas SE of Velen and came across some nasties. A fiend, a high level water hag (actually killed her with lots of fire though) and a griffin that killed me in one hit. No oils or potions are going to work there! Looking forward to returning here after many more levels all like "remember me? muahaha" then I'll probably still die because of reasons
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

OMG I've become totally addicted to Gwent. I can see it getting 9 points from me in the GOTY vote, only behind Witcher 3.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

I've completed the main quest now, 28 days and 14 hours after the day I bought it after playing it everyday for at a minimum 2 hours at a time. Still only got to level 36 after the final quests and doing every side quest and witcher contract I came across so fucked if I know how you get to like level 42+ to get some of the weapons made I've found. I say that because you don't seem to get much XP from a side quest or Witcher contract and now there's no main quest it just seems like an impossible task with what can only be a small list of witcher contracts left.

Also, played Gwent against everyone I met and bought any Gwent card any trader had and I still don't have them all. Fucked if I know where there rest are..
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

I've kinda given up on this game, I hate the inventory system, the items system, the healing system, the spell system...
cloud
Hard Cun...too much?
Hard Cun...too much?
XBL ID: ACE VENCLOUDY
PSN ID: ACEVENCLOUDY

Post by cloud »

In other words you're shit at it...
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

As above.

Game is fucking incredible.
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

I'm definitely terrible at this game and I don't understand the logic of how it works.
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

Fuckit. I'm going to give it another go now.

One question for all the people here, and I think it would help me a lot...

What is your primary method for healing yourself? What is the best way to do it mid-fight, and what is the best way to do it when roaming the sandbox?

At the moment I just eat some onions or water and it's barely effective.

Second thing, the only potion I have equipped is 'Thunderbolt' which I have on my d-pad up button. I have thunderbolt on the up button and onions on the d-pad down button.

Is there a more prescient choice I should make for a d-pad equip? Is there something I need to craft first that would be more useful?

Is there a straight health potion of any capacity in this game?

That would be a huge help! (btw I'm still on second hardest difficulty)
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Next time you level up, select the Sun and Stars ability and equip it.

Use Thunderbolt in conjunction with the right oils for the battle ahead and you'll straight own fools.
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

Sun and stars will do.
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!
XBL ID: Burnzoire
Steam ID: Burnzoire

Post by Burnzoire »

itch wrote:Is there a straight health potion of any capacity in this game?
You're lacking the swallow potion. There's a quest line in White Orchard that should get you using it.

Before that I was also an onion-eater. Now all you gotto do is pop a swallow, wait for health to regen then meditate if you want to recover your potions. Eat and drink at the same time for quicker regen.

Really, if you just follow quests in that first area, the game really isn't hard. It introduces every part of the game quite well.
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

Yess. Turned the botchling into a lubberkin.

Then yeah I found the swallow potion!

Things are looking up, thanks for your help guys.

It's just like I tell my girlfriend, you gots to swallow.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Just don't eat too many onions before you swallow, as it will taste bitter.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Don't waste your time running around trying to find the ingredients to make superior swallow either later in the game as you just get given it anyway. Make sure you get enhanced Swallow though incase all the game is doing is giving you one level above the one you have.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

OK I will try to remember that.

I realised something about this game. It's a beat em up. :shock:

This really is a nice middle ground between Dark Souls and skyrim.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

If you like the combat in Dark Souls you might want to check out Monster Hunter for on the go hunting.

I think capcom should port these games to PC to boost the western awareness of the games.
Healing is risky mid combat however, so make sure you prep beforehand as if you were really hunting a giant creature. (or have a support guy that heals you while fighitng.)

It is easy for Witcher 3 to be better than elder scrolls because skyrim came out 4 years ago you dipshits. :lol: lol It's EXPECTED to be better because it's on better hardware. That's like comparing GTA5 to saints row 2. (saints row 2 is still more fun)
ES is a highly replayable game series too. You are not locked into playing as the exact same guy. So it's still superior in that sense. Replaying as mage, assassin, thief, warrior, healer etc means you approach the same things in different ways and get different NPC reactions is the heart of the games which part of the appeal - you can be whoever you wish and even kill anyone you wish cutting off quests and being a dick. Not with witcher since you are a pre-made character which offends feminists who hate men. That's a big deal since all kinds of crazy people also play videogames now (including non-gamers like Candy Arse) and companies don't want to offend anyone by not being inclusive.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

Yeah...Dark Souls was too hard for me, but I liked aspects of the gameplay.

This feels like a nice middle ground.

It's a really good game, I'm really enjoying it now. The graphics are amazing.
cloud
Hard Cun...too much?
Hard Cun...too much?
XBL ID: ACE VENCLOUDY
PSN ID: ACEVENCLOUDY

Post by cloud »

80 hours in and this game is still throwing surprises at me!
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

I want to buy it but holding off for GOTY edition*. They are making expansion pack for this which is about the size of witcher 2. lol

Right now playing arkham knight.

Still haven't bought Guilty Gear Xrd. Need to buy that before anything else.

*would have bought it on release if I was not bogged down in other games to complete still. I have a rule to complete shit before starting new shit.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

I'm playing this game so slowly. And I don't care.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

It really is the game that keeps on giving. Can't wait for the next patch where they adjust the encumbrance mechanics.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

And that next patch is fucking fantastic. So good I restarted the game! Controls are much more responsive in alternate mode and the encumbrance adjustments and stash ability is really good. Performance is improved as well (on PC that is, console got worse :suicide: GameHED :suicide:). 2440p 60fps all settings maxed.