Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Sun and stars?
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Re: Witcher 3 - Hype is REAL!

Post by Twiztid Elf »

There were things about Witcher 3 that I didn't like.
The combat is without question janky as hell - about the same jank as Skyrim though, so therefore negated by the amazing everything else.
The main storyline bogged down horribly in the main city.
Spoiler!
All the stuff with Dudu and the theatre stuff
was straight up horrible and if it had have been in the first few hours I would have straight up quit (like Fable 3).

Despite all the above, I thought the game was amazing and set a new high bar for open world games. CDPR are clearly master class devs, and I will be there day one for Cyberpunk.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:Sun and stars?
Not worth wasting an ability slot.

As you improve at combat and you really spec Geralt to suit your style, you will barely get touched in combat.

Then if you do you'll be able to heal really fast anyway.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

What was your preferred difficulty, Candy? My Witcher style is primarily sword with some sign. A bit of extra Quen helped with the Witcher 2 curve.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

geralt.jpg
Here's my layout for Geralt. A big focus on swordplay and potions/oils. Maxing out the oils and lubing the swords up meant that even on hard difficulty I was cutting down everything in front of me.

My next playthrough will be on very hard.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Witcher 3 - Hype is REAL!

Yeah I think I will give alchemy a proper crack this time. Started on Blood and Broken Bones today. Stopped on the way to the main quest objective to deal with a Noonwraith haunting a well.

I loaded my Witcher 2 save, btw. The trashy neck tattoo my Geralt acquired in W2 has come across.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I went in hard on alchemy and combat - in particular light attacks to stay nimble in combat.

By the time I had a fully decked out Bear School set, highest-level oils and that extra 100% attack power, everything I touched would die quickly from either the insane hit damage from my weapons or they'd quickly bleed out afterwards :lol:

This is why my next run through the game will be on Very Hard.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

I really should make some time to play it. I've had it since it came out but never got around to it.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

It's a game that rewards you more and more for investing time in it.

The complaints about combat are similar to people whinging that games like Ninja Gaiden were too hard - get good scrub. Once you know what you're doing and have your character specced out to your liking, you lay waste to everything in front of you quickly and easily.

The story however is incredible and by the end of it, it's LoTR quality in terms of production, scale, impact etc. Just brilliant.

Side-quests are rewarding as is item hunting and upgrades. The world is varied, interesting and alive.

Best game ever, basically.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

I never really understood the janky combat criticisms. The only trouble I've ever had was running into some random tree giant that was about 20 levels higher than me on a dark stormy night, that was atmospheric as fuck.

I really hope Cyberpunk delivers on the same scale, always loved the Sci fi setting like Bladerunner and that's been sorely lacking in game settings. I have faith in CDP.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Just knocked over as much as I can in the opening White Orchard map. All question marks and quests accounted for. Vizima awaits. I'm expecting something special.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

The only tip I'll give you is don't fast travel for a while. A lot of enjoyment is just following the pointer and discovering new things, getting distracted along the way. The game is massive. Aiiiiiii.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Cletus wrote:I really should make some time to play it. I've had it since it came out but never got around to it.

Best open world RPG out there. Bethesda need to learn from these guys.

But my points about controls are not troll comments. I'm not the only one imagining this stuff. Others agree with me.

Maybe its all been fixed since the time but it was enough for people to nitpick back in the time of release.
If cyberpunk has those issues I will be disappointed but it won't be a deal breaker. It's a tug of war between Responsive controls vs flashy animations.

I'm not a flashy animation guy. I want controls to be as if it were me inside the character's body and not me playing AS the character who moves in such a way that it is simulating his physics like a sports sim or whatever. (ie this is the way flight sims work where controls are deliberately crap to simulate the crap plane you are in, so it's not about your skill flying, but rather how you cope using a plane with bad controls that isn't as responsive as a good plane with good controls. The helicopter in GTA V was infuriating to me because of how they approached it lol)

related:
ACG explains how the layering of witcher 3 environments makes them seem real and lived in with things that have happened there ie npc, weather, events, affect what the places look like. Places are distinct and laws of the real world are applied in the game to make it feel like real places. Not all open world games succeed at this and just have gamey designs more than modeling realistic environments. (eg towns in skyrim lack the villagers to keep them feeling whole and this is possibly because of design choice that has more to do with how a game designer felt, more than whether this was practical for the real world if the town had to function like a proper one. In realism-fantasy everything has function and purpose for being there to help immerse you into the world better. Important for people who play a lot of open world titles and prefer realism. Older fantasy games just had towns to serve only a gameplay purpose to give you place to rest, buy shit, and talk to npc in bars but might not look authentic because the designer didn't care. If future elder scrolls game comes out it has to be as good as this or better to keep up with these guys. There are a lot of things that can break the immersion in a game and people who have played a lot of them are getting more picky the more the bar is raised when beter ones come out to outdo the previous ones.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Finally finished the main storyline, phenomenal. Potentially the game of the generation. Just so much polish and life in the game world and characters. Got the second best ending, looking forward to the DLC now.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Best game ever
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Deserves more 10/10s than Zelda that's for sure.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Just finished Hearts of Stone. What a good little story line, very macabre. Loved O'Dimm, definitely Dark Tower influence. This game is so good, kind of don't want it to end :(
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

CA your build above has an emphasis on fast attack and I notice bear school which suggests heavy armour? If yes how did that balance out given heavy armor bonuses lend themselves to heavy attacks? Very well I'm sure given you say you melted all before you but am interested to read if you deliberately went for a fast attack heavy armour build. Ta.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Ursine armour gives you a shitload of damage resistance so if I did ever get hit the damage would be greatly reduced. Doesn't affect my ability to move/deal damage in combat.

Also the armour set looks aesthetically pleasing!
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Witcher 3 will be patched to 4K on Bone X. Fps hasn't been mentioned but I'm expecting 30fps.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

I read it was being patched to run on the XOX because currently the vanilla game does not. Considering they said originally that they weren't going to waste resources on a 4K patch that could otherwise be used for Cyberpunk I find this news disappointing.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

yeah there's some controversy here, people claiming MS bought 4k patch exclusivity which is a load of BS.

I get the feeling it's simple to do on XB1X, maybe PS4pro isn't up to it?
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

The game looks fucking brilliant in 4k.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

jizzlobber wrote:yeah there's some controversy here, people claiming MS bought 4k patch exclusivity which is a load of BS.

I get the feeling it's simple to do on XB1X, maybe PS4pro isn't up to it?
Probably just porting the patch from PC. ;)
PhoneMonkey

Post by PhoneMonkey »

Candy Arse wrote:Ursine armour gives you a shitload of damage resistance so if I did ever get hit the damage would be greatly reduced. Doesn't affect my ability to move/deal damage in combat.

Also the armour set looks aesthetically pleasing!
The heavier armour does impact stamina regen though. I ended up with the grandmaster Griffin Armour with a good mix of signs, Aard Freeze is devastating to groups.