Witcher 3 - Hype is REAL!

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Re: Witcher 3 - Hype is REAL!

Post by Candy Arse »

Mario Kart is 59fps. Witcher 3 on my PC runs better than that.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Yeah but there isn't enough people willing to upgrade to get that visuals because there are more casuals than people who are hardcore. Which is why ugly games do well.
The underpowered systems with first party content still sell because those game developers could focus all energy on just one version of a game. Meaning environments could be kept to a level that the hardware can handle which gives balanced feeling to the game. There is no risk that on a certain level of a shooter you might need to change your setttings to retain 60fps because on that level there are 1000 of explosions in the scene. In the console they regulate the number of explosions to keep the game consistent.

That's the appeal of shit hardware. If the first party developer knows the game they are creating will never appear on other systems, he/she can scale back on graphics to maintain the smooth feeling and tailor the code to create the best that the machine can do without you needing to tweak stuff. We have lost that. Because games titles cost so much to make that they have to make versions for every single platform to break even.

That's why MK and splatoon feel polished on the underpowered hardware. The fact it will never appear anywhere else means no need to waste time thinking about how it will be experienced on different hardware. Which is what makes withcer 3 hit and miss depending on where you are in the game. If Witcher for example only came out for one platform you would't have that problem. They would scale back the visuals on that little bit of the game where it chugs to ensure smoothness. (without you needing to spend more money by upgrading which is not what casual gamers want to do. Casual gamers matter since they outnumber YOU and without them and their money bigger games can't be made.) So for example if you are making a racing title and the track causes the framerate to dip to 40 fps, they can design it so there is less detail or some scenary blocks out a portion of the track to allow the game to keep running 60fps. But if the racer is multiplatform, you have problems. Because each platform has different specs and now the game runs different at different section of the track. The players lose out since the high spec machine has too much unused power, and the underpowered platform chugs at only certain sections. The time wasted designing two version of the game could have better been spent making more content!
Last edited by GameHED on 10 Jun 2015 06:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

GameHED wrote:Yeah but there isn't enough people willing to upgrade to get that visuals because there are more casuals than people who are hardcore.
Maybe in your nursing home there isn't. Witcher 3 at 60fps sure looks good to me! How's the 360 version?
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

The devlopers told you to your face your version sucks because they had to target the console gamers. That's why if they had made it a PC-only title it would't suck as bad. But if they made it for PC they would'nt have the money to make the world HUGE.

We console gamers fund your games. And so buying a pc is pointless since all it will ever have is console ports. Not new content that we haven't already seen on the console.

The reason PC gamers are whining about the 2013 version lookig awesome is because it ran on different engine. They could make that version on PC IF PC GAMERS PAID. But there are too few of you in existence which is why they can only make such a huge world if they target console. Since there are more of us to fund a bigger title.

So that is why console gamers have no real incentive to buy pc due to the fact is all they will see is the same game running at higher framerates with higher res and more fx. It won't be enough to want to upgrade to the highest spec card since it is still using the same shit engine as the console kiddies one. (not the 2013 one which is what pc gamers wanted and comed all over their keyboards over.)

PC is doomed. It's surviving on money that casual gamers and console gamers put forward. So if console's die off (which is what you hope to happen) then so do the pc games industry since big worlds can't exist without huge numbers of paying customers) If pc gamers spent more on the games then this wouldn't have happened. As games get bigger and more expensive there needs to be an increase in people to sell those games to. Or they could make it more focused and small. If pc gamers want 2013 version they would have to encourage developers to make smaller more focused games that are able to make use of the pc more. (sort of like what happened between daggerfall to Morrowind where the map was reduced)
Last edited by GameHED on 10 Jun 2015 07:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

GameHED wrote:So that is why console gamers have no real incentive to buy pc due to the fact is all they will see is the same game running at higher framerates with higher res and more fx.
No incentive to buy PC apart from it being a better experience, in your own words. Nice way to own yourself idiot :lol:
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

But street fighter 4 is best on last gen.(since it was targeted for lower spec hardware)

MK8 is targeted for wii u. So this means less wasted time thinking about 3 versions. (resulting in less technical probs like chuggy framerate on one version but smooth on another)

As a multiplatform gamer I would rather have more content and diverse games not ports. The ones that appear on one platform only can then feel polished. (because the game is designed for one set of specs ad content is more tightly managed)

PC gamers could have got 2013 graphics but thanks to there not being enough people with high spec pcs, they got a port of a console title which isn't as good since it used different engine. That highlights a problem: pc gamers sinking too much on upgrades but not buying games for game companies to make triple A content anymore. (this is a big deal going forward - developers will see no point making engines that tap into pc full potential. They are going to make games ugly on purpose )
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Once I get my PC to successfully update to windows 8.1 without getting this damn error ive been getting for the past year I will hopefully buy the 980Ti and get Witcher 3 again.

Error:

Oxc1900101-Ox30018
Just trying the update again, re-downloading the 3GB update , but in clean boot mode.

Sigh, another hour of downloading and installing all for nothing.....

Download is going very slow at 2Mbps for some reason , but the broadband test shows 20Mpbs.

Thing is I downloaded the update 1hour ago and it was fine.

Windows 8.0 is the worst OS I've ever used. Soon as I boot it I go into desktop mode. I don't even have a windows store tile, so I have to go to Microsoft's website and click the link to open it. Even doing a search in metro the store tile doesn't show up. And to think I actually bought win xp, win vista, win 7 and win 8.

Sorry for the thread derail.

Back on topic, ah witcher 3 is the goods.

Doing a contract and trying to defeat Ignis Fatuus. Tough bastard, few swings and takes almost all my health.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Windows 10 soon, very soon.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Well it's not a dedicated game machine so you can't complain. It's meant to do your taxes. It's patched together with glue and sticky tape unlike the more efficient consoles designed for fun. Expect fallout 4 to be the same. 100 times more buggy and of need of patches than console edition I predict. "Booting things up" ffs. lol As if people have the patience for that.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

My SSD boots into Windows and into a game much much faster than any of the current consoles. Just saying.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Yeah waiting less than 20 seconds to boot and sign into Windows is a total mood killer.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I timed mine at around 14 seconds, including the time it takes me to input my password.

It's around 20 seconds if I somehow screw up with a typo.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

And then after booting it up you realise street fighter doesnt work because capcom coded the game to be exploited easily, forcing you to open your dusty old 360 from its box and play it on a dedicated game machine with closed system that has protection biult into it like the rest of the peasants costing you an additional 20 mins to play your fave game on a legacy system. Tards.... Pirates will always highlight the benefits of pc and never mention the weaknesses..
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

err...nope, SF works fine on my PC. So does Witcher 3 at 2560 x 1440 @ 60fps.

Its taken me longer to type this post than it normally does to turn my PC on, load into Windows and boot up Witcher 3. How's the Wii U version CrackHED?
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Wii U is awesome. I can take the machine to a buddies house and play it like a portable without the need for tv. Just like a really powerful atari lynx. I would never carry pc in backpack. It's only for doing work and piracy. Wii u is more fun than the pc version of bayonetta 2. Loads of great games like smash bros which don't have bugs that crash the system becase the nintendo seal of quality protects them from sucking.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Joke post - you have no friends. Back to the superior version of Witcher 3!
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Finally got Witcher running stable. Figured out software based Vsync doesn't really work. Turned it on through the Nvidia control panel, no issues. Had to lock it in at 30fps but that's the limitation of the card, high settings on everything except textures and Hairworks off. Liking this game more and more
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

GameHED wrote: because there are more casuals

What like you?
-------------------------------------
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

So is anyone else really playing the hell out of this game or am I the only one left? It's seriously better than any Elder Scrolls game.

I've spent many many many hours in Velen and Novigrad, last night finally took a trip to the Skellige Isles....fark another huge map to explore! This game....
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

Well I took someone's advice and played it on the second hardest difficulty but now it's too hard so I might start again on medium.

I'm up to the part where you dig up the lubberkind and all those wraiths come at you. I don't have enough food or potions to do it.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Yeah Candy I'm playing it by the sounds of it exactly like you are. Probably spend around 40 hours in Velen and Novigrad before hitting Skellidge then on the weekend went back to Velen, Novigrad and the first bit to check out what all the question marks were and find the Cat and Griffin school gear. Now that's done I went back to Skellidge to pummel some fuckers in the fighting tournament before I'll hit back to the main quest to level up a bit faster so I can do some harder witcher quests. I can't put this game down since I started, I'm playing on the 2nd hardest Itch, you just gotta get through it, use Quen and fight smart, that quest took me a few tries to get through.

The only thing that seems a bit out of whack is if I go on a witcher quest and take down some nasty monster I don't seem to get the experience that seems proportionate. Like in a main quest I'll go talk to 3 people and have to do not much and bang 500 XP but hunt and take down a Level 23 Fiend and bam 275XP.. so it feels like I'm levelling slow even though I've done nearly every side quest that I've come across so far but I am at the point I can run around Velen and Novigrad and be pretty much invincible to whatever I come across as I'm level 26 now.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Agree with Froggy - if you play below the second-hardest level it'll be too easy. Level 21 here and I'm beating monsters with the red skull above their head. The right oil, the right use of signs combined with mobility in combat makes Geralt very hard to kill. Money is no longer an issue now either.
cloud
Hard Cun...too much?
Hard Cun...too much?
XBL ID: ACE VENCLOUDY
PSN ID: ACEVENCLOUDY

Post by cloud »

Candy Arse wrote:So is anyone else really playing the hell out of this game or am I the only one left? It's seriously better than any Elder Scrolls game.

I've spent many many many hours in Velen and Novigrad, last night finally took a trip to the Skellige Isles....fark another huge map to explore! This game....
This and Dirt Rally are the only games I'm playing atm. I've just hit the 90 hour mark in The Witcher and yes it makes The Elder Scrolls games look like shit.
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

The gameplay is a bit too complicated for me so far.

Do I need to use those anvils to buff my weapons regularly? Wtf is all of this 'oil' business and why do people always insist I need different alcohols when I meditate?

How come there are no straight 'health potions' like in Skyrim?

Wtf is going on?

The only method I know of healing is eating onions or bread or water and it hardly works.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

http://kotaku.com/tips-for-playing-the- ... 1705588522" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - start by reading that.

Can I also just say that I'm becoming a star at Gwent!