SHENMUE III IS REAL OHFUCKOHFUCKOHFUCK SAILORS!!

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Re: SHENMUE III IS REAL OHFUCKOHFUCKOHFUCK SAILORS!!

Post by GameHED »

Lestat. Shenmue is japanese game. Microsft didn't give the man the money. Microsoft is doing shit in japan because japanese look down on buggy western games. Sony is doing better there. They have the Yakuza series. What option does Yu have? Business is not charity. You need to prove people want the game. How are consumers being raped? The consumers are the ones that buy things after they've been made not invest to kickstarter. The invester gets to see the product created. The consumer doesn't have to invest. The big corporation shares in the risk if it sells poorly. What is so wrong with trying to guage interest before taking the plunge. Business is risky.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Post by Seraph »

Ok, so YS and Sony have their answer now, right?
Is there sufficient interest to make this a viable project? Yes, clearly there is sufficient interest.
That means the backers all get their money back, I assume.
Or perhaps the money is to go to Sony so they can afford to hire a better market research team?
Their current team wasn't sure the game would pass a $2m KS in 31 days, after all, so one can only assume they're not exactly the best at their jobs....
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

jizzlobber wrote:Gamers should not have to lay down their money to help a game exist... It's fucking crook.

That's what publishers are for.

This whole Shenmue thing, if it was just a "gauge" for Sony, they should refund every cent and pay for the development process themselves.

It's fucked
You're right nobody HAD to. They did it because they want to see yu suzuki make a game. There are many who like shenmue but didn't invest. They will probably be the guys buying the game retail when it's finished or buy digitally. How can begging be criminal? If I beg peope for free money and they say 'ok take free money' how is that a crime? Kickstarter is where I'd go if MS were too cheap or disrespectful to fund my game based on my talents. Maybe MS is angry that Sony benfits. This is nothing to do with consumers and all about fear of sony getting an exclusive lol. admt it

Maybe they see a threat that virtua fighter becomes sony exclusive or something. MS has bethesda partnership. Sony gets sega and yu suzuki. (maybe he helps with arcadey racing games for ps4 or signs deal to make rpgs for sony through the whole console gen.) Perhaps they need him to make VR games? Shenmue using goggles?
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Seraph wrote:Ok, so YS and Sony have their answer now, right?
Is there sufficient interest to make this a viable project? Yes, clearly there is sufficient interest.
That means the backers all get their money back, I assume.
Or perhaps the money is to go to Sony so they can afford to hire a better market research team?
Their current team wasn't sure the game would pass a $2m KS in 31 days, after all, so one can only assume they're not exactly the best at their jobs....

The people that backed it get the game dont they? Why should the backers get free game if they withdraw funding? You invested to see it made. When its made you get the item you wanted and special treatment that retail buyers don't get.

If a backer wants to withdraw then they should not get the game or see thier name in the credits at the end.

They have to buy the game when the product is officially out to the rest of the world and be expected to pay more because they let the company absorb risk. Business is risky. If it sells like shit, they count on money from the consumer to ease the burden and hopefully still profit. Rayman is an example. Really good reviews but nobody fucking bought it. But it still made money because honest people paid good money for it still.

So if you don't invest, then don't complain if Yu could'nt convince business to let him work on any future big budget games. The big budget games are riskier. I still think sony should have that money. If it was a crappy mobile phone app, then yeah everyone should be angry. But this is a big game. If they don't profit they absorb the damage just like nintendo taking bayonetta 2 if it doesn't sell enough.
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

I don't want my money back. I'd rather have the game for the $29 I've paid for it, k thx. Again, nobody forced the money out of anybody else's hands. Kickstarter isn't a dictatorship. It isn't coercion. It's literally 'Here, you want this shit? Put your money where your mouth is.'

Some of you wankers will whinge about anything.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Just reading an interview, E3 footage was just a prototype running on the engine, so it's obviously going to improve quite a bit ( for those who thought it looked weird). Still targeting Dec 2017 but things can change.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Scullibundo wrote:I don't want my money back. I'd rather have the game for the $29 I've paid for it, k thx. Again, nobody forced the money out of anybody else's hands. Kickstarter isn't a dictatorship. It isn't coercion. It's literally 'Here, you want this shit? Put your money where your mouth is.'

QFT. A game for $29? What's not to like? There are many ways this could've gone and having tier 3 or 4 being the entry point for a digital copy at $70-100 then yeah, maybe that'd be wrong but they didn't. If the game didn't reach its target we would've all been refunded so there wasn't really a risk. The only risk we've taken is on the quality of the game but I am quietly confident this will deliver. Suzuki-san has had this vision, the story, he has the idea in his head. All he needs is the right people to execute it. A game as deep and varied as Shenmue 2 with modern day controls would be fine by me. Bring on those Easter Eggs, those mini games, the Virtua Fighting (Lite Edition) and QTEs. My body is ready.

The way Jizz is going on he doesn't even want anything to do with the sequel even if it ends up GOTY so it's no skin off our noses.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

From what I understand the game will have those three locals but depending on the donations and quota reached will depend on how much content will be in those areas. Also if it reaches a certain amount there will also be an arcade with playable games again. Wonder what will be used this time if it does?
Last edited by t0mby on 18 Jun 2015 09:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Scullibundo wrote:I don't want my money back. I'd rather have the game for the $29 I've paid for it, k thx. Again, nobody forced the money out of anybody else's hands. Kickstarter isn't a dictatorship. It isn't coercion. It's literally 'Here, you want this shit? Put your money where your mouth is.'

This. It's nothing but Sony bashing.

Any company who funds this game fully straight out of the gate are a pack of fucking morons. Why would you fund a sequel to games that bombed hard, and take the risk in such a risk-averse industry?

On one hand you've got team xbot saying that the idea of Shenmue 3 is dumb because it helped sink the good ship Sega. On the other hand you've got team xbot ripping into Sony for launching the game via crowdfunding.

???

No crowdfunding, no Shenmue 3. Simple as that. Thank you Sony.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

t0mby wrote:

QFT. A game for $29? What's not to like? There are many ways this could've gone and having tier 3 or 4 being the entry point for a digital copy at $70-100 then yeah, maybe that'd be wrong but they didn't. If the game didn't reach its target we would've all been refunded so there wasn't really a risk. The only risk we've taken is on the quality of the game but I am quietly confident this will deliver. Suzuki-san has had this vision, the story, he has the idea in his head. All he needs is the right people to execute it. A game as deep and varied as Shenmue 2 with modern day controls would be fine by me. Bring on those Easter Eggs, those mini games, the Virtua Fighting (Lite Edition) and QTEs. My body is ready.

The way Jizz is going on he doesn't even want anything to do with the sequel even if it ends up GOTY so it's no skin off our noses.
You have no idea how much I loved shenmue 1 and 2... I admit it had faded since simply because to much time has passed.
If it turns out to be half decent I'll be playing it, don't worry about that.

If you dickheads look back you will see my concerns were the pissy budget and a has been Suzuki, I said it needed sonys help... Now they are helping and they're will be a lot more funding so I'm now optimistic.

I was the only one here keeping it real, everyone else was happy enough with the $2 mill budget.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

It was never a $2 million budget though. No open world game can be made on $2 million, it was to see if there really was a genuine interest in the game. Like Candy said, the original games sold poorly, partly because of piracy and partly because of MS moneyhatting the US version as an exclusive (by the time the Xbox version had come out most people that cared about it had imported it). No company wanted to back this without some reassurance that there would be a community that wanted it regardless of how many people have been vocal. Nevermind the fact that unless the game has a massive following, releasing a sequel 10-15yrs later is risky as especially if it's story driven.

If the game turns out half decent and you do buy it then I would like you to personally thank all of us here at GR that pledged to make this happen. :t0mby:
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

Nobody thought $2mill was going to be the budget. Everyone knew it was to gauge consumer interest. This system of gauging consumer interest via kickstarter isn't new. Don't act like Sony are dirty for using something other publishers use.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

GreyWizzard wrote:Nobody thought $2mill was going to be the budget. Everyone knew it was to gauge consumer interest.
Well that's not true, Jizz didn't, probably thought it was going to be some indy 2D pixelart platformer. :lol:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

jizzlobber wrote:
t0mby wrote:

You have no idea how much I loved shenmue 1 and 2... I admit it had faded since simply because to much time has passed.
If it turns out to be half decent I'll be playing it, don't worry about that.

If you dickheads look back you will see my concerns were the pissy budget and a has been Suzuki, I said it needed sonys help... Now they are helping and they're will be a lot more funding so I'm now optimistic.

I was the only one here keeping it real, everyone else was happy enough with the $2 mill budget.
You appear to be the only dickhead who thought this was a $2 mil budget. Never even entered my head :lol:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

t0mby wrote:
GreyWizzard wrote:Nobody thought $2mill was going to be the budget. Everyone knew it was to gauge consumer interest.
Well that's not true, Jizz didn't, probably thought it was going to be some indy 2D pixelart platformer. :lol:
Shemnue 3, the 8bit side-scrolling platformer :lol:
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

I don't like the idea of additional stretch goals. I get it, if people are willing to continue to give money you don't say no. But Sony should be funding that shit now.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

It'd be a little bit funny if the only people who want the game have already preordered and paid for it through Kickstarter though.

To balance my spite, here, have a song about Yu and his game you're all so infatuated with.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

You cunts are full of shit and will soon have urinary tract infections, look back... Everyone was like "at least it's happening!!".
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Madmya wrote:I don't like the idea of additional stretch goals. I get it, if people are willing to continue to give money you don't say no. But Sony should be funding that shit now.
The goals say to me maybe sony probably aren't providing direct funding, merely technical/production support, i.e. some developers and access to inhouse code/tools/artists.

Also there is talk that the 3rd one won't conclude the series, so we might just end up in the same situation where people don't have closure, really what's being delivered is quite vague in some respects.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Well I thought the way the game was initially split up into chapters meant more than 3 games, way back in the day. The first Shenmue was supposed to be both Shenmue 1 and 2, but they're both on 4 discs as it is!
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

I can't really remember but there's something like 25 chapters and the first 2 games was more than just 2 chapters themselves.

Could see a single pissy chapter/location and then it's DLC city.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Madmya wrote:Well I thought the way the game was initially split up into chapters meant more than 3 games, way back in the day. The first Shenmue was supposed to be both Shenmue 1 and 2, but they're both on 4 discs as it is!
Actually one was on 3 discs, the 4th disc was the Shenmue passport.

Some fan you are! :D
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

jizzlobber wrote:I can't really remember but there's something like 25 chapters and the first 2 games was more than just 2 chapters themselves.

The page doesn't say this is a concluding chapter and it's only funding 1 city, there are 3 cities in total. The page talks about attracting new fans, so clearly the idea here is to probably keep making chapters and releasing it bit by bit. That's why they're only asking $29 for a copy.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

lestat wrote:
jizzlobber wrote:I can't really remember but there's something like 25 chapters and the first 2 games was more than just 2 chapters themselves.

The page doesn't say this is a concluding chapter and it's only funding 1 city, there are 3 cities in total. The page talks about attracting new fans, so clearly the idea here is to probably keep making chapters and releasing it bit by bit. That's why they're only asking $29 for a copy.
Doesn't look like 1 city to me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

What's with ?M

What's that? 100M?