DOOM

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

DOOM

Post by itch »

Hopefully we all saw this amazing trailer. Here it is just in case.

And the multiplayer mode looks legit in an oldschool arena shooter style

The multiplayer mode will probably guarantee that I'll buy this game.

Looks thoroughly authentic.
-------------------------------------
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Re: DOOM

Post by Madmya »

This is a nice surprise. I like the look of it. I probably won't play it because it looks too scary, but multiplayer might draw me in. I miss old school deathmatch.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

Heheh, yeah I don't mind scary shit but I don't find it enjoyable.

Playing doom 3 was fucked, pitch black, piddly torch... Every noise scared shit out of me!
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

idtech6 looks very impressive, the gore is nuts in this, my jaw dropped when I saw the chainsaw in action. :shock:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I'm all in for this. Love how they're going back to more outright action. Did NOT want a sequel to Doom 3...
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

Madmya wrote:This is a nice surprise. I like the look of it. I probably won't play it because it looks too scary, but multiplayer might draw me in. I miss old school deathmatch.
Awww poor Maddy da game is scaree. :P I don't think this game will be as scary as Doom 3, it looks like more of an action game, although the sheer weight of the satanic imagery could probably get to you after a while.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Satanic shit doesn't worry me, it's when the room goes pitch fucking black and I can't have a gun and a torch at the same fucking time.

Resident Evil scares me too so yeah, I'm fucked anyway. I bought Dead Space but haven't touched it. Haven't finished Bioshock despite loving it.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Am I missing something here? Seems really ordinary from that gameplay footage.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

Not enough glowing orbs? :)
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

A longing for old school running and gunning?
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

Gamma: I think it could just be the quality of the graphics that excites me. (and the prospect of a retro multiplayer shooter)
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

Doom64 is the best. Nothing like the sound of mewling babies to creep you out.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

With half a dozen enemies onscreen at once, no demonstrable sign of decent AI and small interior environments, you'd expect the graphics to be impressive. It just seems way too by-the-numbers in 2015. It's no secret that I'm not a big FPS fan though. A FPS has to actively try something new and/or interesting to have a chance at getting my attention, and this seems to be the antithesis of that.
Pointy Cat
What Amazing!
What Amazing!

Post by Pointy Cat »

This new Doom looks meh. Not what I was wanting out of a new Doom.
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

WTF, it's DOOM niggas.
Pointy Cat
What Amazing!
What Amazing!

Post by Pointy Cat »

Is it?
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Madmya wrote:Satanic shit doesn't worry me, it's when the room goes pitch fucking black and I can't have a gun and a torch at the same fucking time.
This. There were times when Doom 3 scared the absolute bejeebus out of me, often even without having any enemies even nearby. That bit where stuff on the table just levitated on its own then flrew through the window at you?

...I screamed so loud I woke my flatmate.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
ObSoLeTe
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: OBY83

Post by ObSoLeTe »

ill be picking it up for sure. its doom :up:

"Old But Not Obsolete" - A.Schwarzenegger
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

is it?
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

It says it, right there, in the trailer. DOOM.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Madmya wrote:Satanic shit doesn't worry me, it's when the room goes pitch fucking black and I can't have a gun and a torch at the same fucking time.

Resident Evil scares me too so yeah, I'm fucked anyway. I bought Dead Space but haven't touched it. Haven't finished Bioshock despite loving it.
They fixed that problem with Doom 3 BFG edition. (made it so the flashlight is attached to the weapon)
Gears of war had that problem where you couldn't carry a torch while walking around to scare off those batlike creatures that only attack when there is no light.
Those guys just needed a match and to light it on a wooden tree branch and then carry it around and the bats won't dive down and kill you. To make matters worse the vehicle section won't let you drive the vehicle AND use the giant torch to kill bats. The vehicle can only do one thing at a time.

Soldiers are fucking dumb in videogames.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

What needs to happen with Doom is you can have Roguelike element to it to make the game interesting.

You go down an elevator that leads to hell.

Early levels are just weak demons and low grade weapons.
mid levels are good weapons.
then as you reach the pits of hell you get supernaturally enhanced weapons that have demonically possessed attributes. A shot gun is not longer just a shotgun but randomly shoots out flamming skulls.

Or a chainsaw in hell steals monsters health for you and has a vampiric effect.

The punch of your fist is enhanced by the use of a brass knuckle weapon that stuns demons so you can do a mortal kombat style finisher on them and tear their spine out like the predator alien in the movie Predator.

Everytime you pick up a weapon it has a gimmick that changes how you play. Maybe you find a dead body of a space marine and there is a beam saber type weapon which you can attach to your hand for sneak kills? Use the shadows to your advantage and slice demons in half instantly with cutting tool like a laser to surgically remove organs and hit weak spots on robotic cyber demon enemies who have thick armor.

As you replay the game all kinds of monsters spawn from portals and you can shut these down by scanning walls with scanner that reveals where the generator is. (instead of finding secrets the generator room is the secret. Kill these power sources and the gate is closed and the dimension is sealed off making it easier for those times where you have limited ammo.)

They also need to add energy weapons that can do multiple kills in one shot. Like a BFG but more focused. You shoot a narrow beam and anything that was in the line dies. You could have 10 imps lined up but one shot will pierce through all of them. Their bodies show melted flesh and at higher grade quality they vaporise and all that you see is blood spray and the body evaporates.

By the time you are in hell you are no longer using conventional weapons and the walls start to look more scary with torture devices and other stuff that is weird like the walls are alive and start to shift because they are alive and sense you coming with beings coming out of them as they shift. (these are ambush points where they feed on humans that fell into the trap and took the bait which would be weapons on the ground that are just your hallucinations as the demons play tricks on your mind)
When you kill demons the souls of the people they fed on leave and its like freeing prisoners of war. They give you aid in the form of perks that act as defensive moves. eg one guy might be trap detection expert that can highlight evil and you get to see through walls to detect monsters. Another guy you free explosive rounds for minigun that has splash damage. Yet another offers self repairing armor that is enhanced with nanotech machines and can blend in with the walls so demons can't see you as easily because it has stealth mode which you can activate at any time to evade mobs when you need to run and are surrounded.

Rogue-like Doom would emphasise survival over trying to be gung-ho since you have no idea what is around each corner and there is a lot more suspense in exploration. But in roguelike mode there are dead marines on the groun you can loot. So it becomes about resource management like a survival horror game. If you have low supplies of ammo you take a defensive approach. Maybe you come across a riot shield on the floor and block incoming shots instead of kill enemies? Or find sentry gun on a dead marines body and use it on a boss to soften it up before unleashing rockets on him to finish it off? You have to think conservatively in Rogue-like mode since you may never get out alive if you don't consider the strength of the enemy against your own.

At the end of the game you get psychic powers and can turn back time. (this is to simulate knowing what is going to happen in the future if you make the wrong move) Subsequent replays of the game become less risky now because you can rewind and correct your mistakes like in Blinx the timesweeper. You can speed through areas experimenting with various tactics.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
cloud
Hard Cun...too much?
Hard Cun...too much?
XBL ID: ACE VENCLOUDY
PSN ID: ACEVENCLOUDY

Post by cloud »

jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

:lol:

Hi isn't on my ignore list. But I do ignore him
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Doom is my all-time favourite game. I didn't like Doom 3 at first but it's grown on me over the years. This looks great :D

This E3 was amazing.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)