unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

nVidia Shield TV Pro

Post by unfnknblvbl »

tl;dr: cool, but frustrating

So I got a Shield Pro, just like I threatened I would. $300USD from Amazon, plus shipping. When you consider that you're getting a top-of-the line device for that price, it's pretty good. So these are my first impressions.
The box itself is a pretty neat package:
shield 1.jpg

shield 2.jpg

shield 3.jpg
So, I'll get the annoying things out of the way first.
  • The controller is... not great. It somehow manages to be chunkier than an 'bone pad, and at the same time, utterly cramped and uncomfortable to use. It's weirdly comfortable to just hold though, so maybe it's a chick. The triggers are firm, but not in a pleasant way. The buttons are too close together and feel cheap. This may all change after some use, but at the moment everything feels too firm to be usable.
  • The included USB cable is laughably short at about 1.5m. Compare this to the bone's 3m one, and you start to wonder if nVidia have any idea.
  • The power adapter uses a proprietary (reversible) connector, and outputs a non-standard voltage. Kind of annoying when it shipped with a USA plugpack, so I had to pick up a travel adapter. Thankfully my local EB Games had one, because the local Coles didn't. Perhaps they don't expect Tasmanians to know about the outside world or something.
  • When there is some kind of internet connectivity issue, Android TV falls over. It's an ugly, ugly mess of unintuitive behaviour. Basically, Google Play refuses to load, and gives no error message. It's fun to try to diagnose.
  • nVidia have apparently not seen fit to enable ADB-over-Network for this thing. Kind of annoying when you want to sideload stuff.
  • The user manual is awful. It's a fold-out diagram of what goes where, and that's it. There's another manual included, but the most useful thing in it was the instruction to not fart near the machine. That could be a problem for me.
  • Navigating the store is a PITA.
Now onto the good stuff.
  • The machine itself is a decent weight. I was concerned that it'd be too light to actually be able to sit anywhere, but no. It's surprisingly heavy, and the base is rubberised so it stays put. The design is far better in person than I was expecting, too.
  • The setup experience was surprisingly painless. It gives you a PIN, so you just have to visit a link in your phone or PC web browser and enter it. None of this faffing about with the controller or remote to enter usernames and passwords. Unless you want to.
  • You can get around the annoying Play Store by installing apps directly from your PC web browser through the we-based Play Store.
  • I haven't played much with this one yet, but it's an emulation powerhouse. It's nice to have all those old games on the big screen again.
  • It comes with Plex, which works quite well. It's actually one of the biggest reasons I got the machine.
  • My cats love the box it came in.
I'm yet to try the game streaming stuff (it involves installing GeForce Experience), but on first blush the machine is good. I was about to throw it out the window when I realised that there was something going on with my internet connection, so a restart of the modem fixed that. I'm not sure I'd actually recommend one. Maybe to you guys if you're after a cheapish media streamer that also plays oldschool games.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Re: nVidia Shield TV Pro

Post by unfnknblvbl »

and for comparison, here are some controllers I had lying around:
shield 4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

So I've now played a couple of the Shield-optimised "big" games: Half-Life 2 and Doom 3.

They've been optimised alright. Doom 3 has been redone with low poly models and some ugly, ugly low-res textures in places. HL2 seems alright so far, but yes, low-poly models aplenty, and it seems to be running at 30fps.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

So now I've given game steaming a go with Far Cry 3 & 4, Assault Android Cactus, and Alien Isolation.

It works a treat. There's a weird rendering bug in FC3 where the UI is offset somewhat, but everything else seems eminently playable. It's infinitely better than the bone's streaming in terms of visual quality. There's some colour dithering, but it's only obvious if you look for it.

I also managed to sideload some Kairosoft games on there too. They work great, but you need a mouse plugged in.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

So :down: or :up: as a media device alone?
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

:up: :up:

As a media player, it's hard to fault. In fact, it's pretty great, since it also plays some excellent games. It's annoying that it doesn't come with a remote though.

As a game steamer, it's sensational. When it works. The nVidia software picks up some games that are fundamentally incompatible, but on the other hand, it can stream Steam in Big Picture mode, which is great. If the Steam controller works with it, then that would be ace.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

What is the input lag like when streaming steam? Play some 1 hit death 2d shit and report back
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Hmmm.. I don't have many of those kinds of games. I just gave Mortal Kombat X and Ultra Street Fighter 4 a bash though, and the input lag is there, but tiny. It's never going to be as good as a wired controller on the PC itself, but it's not awful. Again, comparing it to how the bone was last I tried it, this is streets ahead.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Screenshots, bitches! These have all been grabbed using the built-in screenshot feature.

This is what I mean about the funky placement of the UI. Probably has something to do with my monitor being 2560x1600 but GameStream trying to force it to be 1080p. So far, Far Cry 3 is the only game to do this.
SHIELD Hub_20150813_235924.jpg
Again with the Far Cry 3. Here you can see the only quality sacrifice made in streaming - there appears to be some kind of dithering happening in gradients. That's all. It's actually pretty hard to even track down to take a screenshot of.
SHIELD Hub_20150813_235850.jpg
...and lastly, this. It's not full speed yet, but it's pretty cool.
reicast_20150815_213120.jpg
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Probably going to come off sounding even more stupid than usual here but I don't get what you'd use it for. Is it just streaming from your other devices but with added input lag and cattywampus UI? I looked it up but can't figure out the benefit to it.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I bought it for two things; Plex, and Emulation.

About all I've been using my XBox One for is for Plex streaming. The 'bone uses a fair bit of power just to do that, so I was looking at getting a media box. I was going to get a Nexus TV or whatever it's called, but this is vastly more powerful and had the added bonus of nVidia gamestreaming.

Far Cry 4, Alien Isolation, and Assault Android Cactus all look and play fantastic through gamestreaming, it only seems to be FC3 that does weird stuff so far.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

cletus, I also am trying to figure out what this is all about but didn't want to look stupid.
from what i gather the pros are a wireless experience and aesthetically attractive hardware. the cons are lag and lower detail in games.
Wouldn't it just be the same but with an ugly box/full detail/no lag if you bought a prettier PC case and an hdmi cable, or did I miss something?
I mean plex and emulation are something a mini EEEpc can do at a fraction of the price; size of a wireless router, even the shit ones can do DC emulator at full speed.

I sincerely hope there is some massively redeeming feature I have overlooked. For me streaming steam would be it, but any input lag is 100% unacceptable for the games I'd actually play.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

Actually considering the price, its not a bad package for what is on offer and the sheer number of features on offer. But I would gladly pay $200 more to get the lag free input and full speed emu's if such an option were available.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Well doing it this way has the advantage of not having to deal with a separate setup for my games. I thought about that; I have enough spare computer parts to build a decent media/emulation rig, but I really wanted to give this thing a go. Also, I'm a huge Android fanboy, so there's that aspect, too.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

Yea I dipped my toes into that sort of venture myself with a rubbish HP7 plus and an ipega blue tooth controller(another toy you might like ;) ). Potentially a fucking cool handheld emu station; android truly makes things easy on that front. With a beefier handset it would be really good; I tried on a friends S5 and it was much better. But once it started looking like I'd have to spend more I thought about it and its better saved for the ricketty mame arcade machine I have been working on which has been in a semi completed state for far longer than I'd like to admit. Shared housing and several moves have hindered its progress along the way. Its playable and looks like an arcade machine but without more work its quite clear it was conjured up by some hair brained fool.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Two weeks in, and the controller is still... well, it's not rubbish, but it's not great. You know how in the 90s, your mum bought you that second Megadrive controller so you could play Mortal Kombat with your mates, and it was a weird, off-brand one that none of your mates ever wanted to use because the Sega-branded 6-button pad was great?

Yeah. This controller is just like that. It's alright, but then I use my 'bone or PS4 pad for a bit on one of my other devices.... bleh!
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

I see this pop up numerous times on FB in some home theatre groups I'm following but I wanted to see who here uses one.

I don't know what Plex is, nor what ADB-over-Network is. My entire network is wired through the house so WiFi is not an issue.

What's the support like for the apps? Any issues for us in Australasia? (My Toshiba is shit, some streaming apps have to run through Kodi).

How about media files? Is there anything not supported? Can I just plug in a USB stick or HDD and not have any dramas with formats? What about music?

Also, what's the benefit of having the Pro apart from storage and gamepad?
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Plex is a DNLA media streaming client. It connects to a server running on your network (the shield can affect as a server these days) to stream your videos and music. It's pretty nifty, it downloads cover art and theme music and all that crap. A bit like XBMC back in the day. Plex supports most file types, but you can always install VLC to play stuff it didn't cope with.

App support is mostly fine. There's some big name games (Borderlands) you can't get for whatever reason, but other than that it's good. You can definitely sideload stuff from a USB drive.

The difference between the pro and standard these days seems to be a form factor thing. I also don't think the pro comes with a 500GB drive anymore, but if you have an external drive, you can totally hook that up and be fine.

Also, the new controller is pretty good, and Dreamcast emulation is now pretty much perfect with the Redream emulator.