Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Re: Retro gaming

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Oh shit:
Hot on the heels of Nintendo’s announcement of its Classic Mini retro console, Sega is getting into the nostalgia game with a couple of new toys of its own.

To celebrate the 25th anniversary of its popular Sonic the Hedgehog franchise, the company is reviving its Mega Drive brand in the form of a two-player home console, as well as a portable gaming system. The products are manufactured by Chinese firm At Games, which has previously released a slew of retro consoles.

The console supports original Mega Drive cartridges, comes with two wireless controllers and plugs into your TV; the portable system features a 3.2-inch display and includes a rechargeable battery with a USB charger.

What’s especially neat is that both systems come with 80 games built in, including Sega classics like Sonic, Mortal Kombat, Golden Axe and Comix Zone. That means you can start playing as soon as you power them on. You can also load additional game ROMs on an SD cards and enjoy them on the portable console.

Both products are available to pre-order at $65 from UK retailer FunStockRetro (the console can also be had from Smyths) and will start shipping this October. I’d whip out my credit card and pick these up right away, if it weren’t for USGamer’s harsh words about manufacturer At Games’ previous attempts at bringing back Sega games with poor quality hardware.

Still, if you’re nostalgic about all those summers you whiled away with Sonic, Scorpion and Sketch, these might be worth considering.
Source

Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Shit, that's alright. Was looking at getting my 5yo a Megadrive as well so this is well timed.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Ambrose Burnside
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

The 80 built-in games (remembering that the console has a cartridge slot and the handheld has an SD card slot!). The downside is that unlike the NES, it's not HDMI:

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Alien Storm
Altered Beast
Arrow Flash
Bonanza Bros.
Chakan: The Forever Man
Columns
Columns III
ComixZone
Crack Down
DecapAttack
Dr. Robotnik'sMean Bean Machine
ESWAT: City Under Siege
Eternal Champions
Fatal Labyrinth
Flicky
Gain Ground
Golden Axe
Golden Axe II
Golden Axe III
Jewel Master
Kid Chameleon
Phantasy Star 2
Phantasy Star 3
Ristar
Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
Sonic & Knuckles
Sonic Spinball
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog II
Sonic 3D Blast
Sword of Varmilion
The Ooze
Vectorman
VectormanII
Mortal KombatI
Mortal KombatII
Mortal KombatIII
Adventure in the Park
Cross the road
Jack's Pea
Jewel Magic
Curling 2010
Plumbing Contest
Wall-Breaking
Bubble Master
Break a Fireline
Mahjong Solitaire
Warehouse Keeper
Chess
Memory
Snake
Air Hockey
Spider
Naval Power
Mr. Balls
Cannon
Fight or Lose
Bottle Taps Race
Bomber
Checker
Hexagonos
Whack-A-Wolf
Mirror Mirror
Panic Lift
Black Sheep
Flash Memory
Brain Switch
Mega Brain Switch
Hidden Agenda
Dominant Amber
Hide and Seek
Jura Formula
Lost World Sudoku
Meatloaf Rotation
Mya Master Mind
Skeleton Scale
T-Rex Memory Match
Yawning Triceratops
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

Well that list turns to crap once the alphabetical ordering ends.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

Shit... My mini Mega Drive only has 60 games installed :( I'm sure about 30 of them are fake games.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Sonic games, Golden Axe 1-3 are great choices, and alien storm especially. But no Streets of Rage?
Also they should have got a few capcom games on there like the Street Fighter games.
Seriously though the companies need to have a download service so they can make money selling the games when they disappear on the online digital shops on nintendo, xbox, sony. (this is for those that don't want to own a modern game console and buy these roms from their digital stores, but just buy them on a retro machine for little kids on tight budget)

As for lack of HD, getting a portable to play it on more than makes up for it. (assuming the controls are good. The NeoGeoX clicky thumb stick was awesome)
Last edited by GameHED on 26 Jul 2016 01:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

AFAIK, these have been out for ages already. I was looking at getting the portable one a few months ago but I feel I'd rather get a flash cart for that money. Also the sound emulation is shit on them. I'd predict they are being bought by people who don't play them but I could be wrong. My best retro gaming purchase of the re-release nature has just been USB versions of NES/SNES controllers. It is the tactile hand feel of the original controller that is missing from these re-released systems. I'd also argue that emulation of any kind feels ''weightless'' compared to the original cart crunching through some chips in the console but I think I'd have a hard time providing objective evidence. Meanwhile roughly the same topic; I finally took some photos of my mega drive stuff. I got back into expanding my collection when I bought an HDMI upscaler; allowing me to play any console on a new monitor.

Alien Soldier and Musha are reproductions but the other rare ones are legit.

Battletoads was an interesting onion on my belt type story that I'll mention. I got ebay screwed and the game arrived not working. Rather than get a refund I messaged a number in my phone I thought was candy's mate who 60hz/region modded my MD. In my haste I didn't see I had messaged a different chap I had been negotiating with on gumtree about region modded super famicoms. He was at that minute on a business trip to japan to buy supplies and walked me through the repair via sms. So there I was risking the cash I paid for battletoads, iphone on one side, solidering iron and multimeter on the other and open battletoads in front of me. Now as I mentioned, I had an onion on my belt, as was the style at the time.
The pins were absolutely corroded and fucked.
I tried rubbing alcohol but it only did so much. Eventually I had used fine sandpaper to the point of exposing the circuit.
I solved my blunder by melting solder to complete the circuit. Pretty ugly but working a fucking charm now.
This was my first step into the world of modding and it led to this...
DMG backlight mod - there is still a lot more I am wanting to do with this; the bivert mod, the pro sound mod, glass scree etc. but for now it is playable and clean. I can't believe how much this console is improved with a backlight and how I used to play one of these for so many hours without one. I also notice that if I use a smart phone after playing the DMG, the smart phone feels like it is the worst size ever. This thing is definitely the best gameboy in terms of ergonomics.
Feeling pretty confident with a soldering iron these days. Don't know where this is leading by it is nice to be able to fix games or buy broken ones.

What I find most interesting in this is the price fluctuation of mods and repros. A game like starfox 2 can only be reproduced using a cartridge that has an SFX chip in it; at the moment a donor cart like mario kart costs around $60-80 and the starfox repro will cost you at least $100-150. Effectively drying up the supply of mario kart, an already expensive game. Will we see games like mario kart eventually sky rocket as supply dries up? I could ask the same question of DMG gameboys that haven't been modded; at the moment unmodded they are $40-50 and modded are $100-120...will this swing the other way?

Furthermore, consider battletoads for MD; I paid a decent price for what I thought was a working copy that I have now soiled with my modding. All these expensive games are in a bubble held up by gate keeper collectors. Battletoads is very small fry but a game like NES stadium events or MD musha attracts weird behaviour; collectors buying several copies to protect their investment; "If I paid $5000, I can't let someone buy a copy for $2000, I need to out bid them so if they want a copy they must pay the price I dictate". I believe in 2015 a copy of stadium events sold for $35,000 that is $35k, you did not misread.
Check this thread at nintendo age. Tim atwood has shitloads of sealed crates of rare games. In response to the sort of behaviour I am describing he released a photo of a sealed stadium events shipping box. Basically sending a message to the gatekeeper collectors that he can crush their entire life an any moment, games are not supposed to be an investment and to be more welcoming to others in the hobby.
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messagevie ... did=159716" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

Here are mine.

The Jap version has 20 games. EU version has 20 MD games and 40 fake games. There are a couple of different games between the JAP and EU version but mostly the same.

The only advantage is that they are region free and takes carts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Found this on FB, for sale on the GC. Custom made by the seller, has 10,000 games and can hook up to your telly. Mame, 3DO, Snes, Gamecube etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

I looove looking at those megadrive boxes, and it makes me sad my family sold our megadrive and mega CD on me when I was young. :(
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

I put them in a big tub and swim around in them like scrooge mcduck at night.
MiNiStRy
Occasionally Overlooks Gravity.
XBL ID: MiNiStRyS
PSN ID: MiNiStRy
Steam ID: MiNiStRyS

Post by MiNiStRy »

Very cool there tomby :up:

I was looking at purchasing one of those Micro Cade systems.
Good thing is you can hook up any usb controller and it has hdmi.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Oh I didn't buy it, I don't have a spare $3500!!
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

I thought this might interest the NES crowd who is into the beat em up genre:

retro sequel to River City Ransom just got released on the 3DS Eshop:
This is what I think capcom need to do with Mighty Final Fight. Make a tiny open world 2d beat em up on digital stores but with more characters to choose from.
Then after that sega can follow up with Streets of Rage sequels, with retro 90s soundtack. (but they are controlled by the evil candy arse now as they just make PC Strategy games and couldn't even afford to give platinum money to do the Bayonetta sequel :P)

Whether this one is worth $50 (!!!) I don't know.. But its good to see sequels to old titles. These guys need to give us Double Dragon Advance 2! *drool*
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Yoshi Sonic

Post by Yoshi Sonic »

I'd post my boast pics of #two NES classics but photo posting is turned off.

Facebook ftw.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Garou Mark of the Wolves is out now on the PSN shop.

Will be getting Vita version. Love old fighters...
RFCPREMIERS2017

Post by RFCPREMIERS2017 »

Hello everybody,

Mainly just registered because I am considering purchasing the Maxpie Ultimate Edition console and wondering if anybody here has one and could please share their thoughts - mainly intersted in the MAME/arcade, Neo-Geo & PC Engine emulations and my favourite genre is racing games (3-D "Out Run" variety moreso than the top down 2-D variety)....I am also considering a Pandora's Box 5s Arcade stick set up, though the lack of afirementioned racing games is a big minus (as well as the arcade sticks not being ideal for them.MAXPIE's gamepads aren't either -only steering wheels are I guess- but noneheless should still be better suited) Please note I am not the least bit tech-savvy (otherwise I would just bulid a machine myself haha.)

Cheers & thanks in advance,

J.