Retro gaming

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Ben
Southpoor

Re: Retro gaming

Post by Ben »

I understood so little of the tech talk surrounding the Neo Geo but fuck it was captivating reading through his story, waking his wife up nonplussed whilst he's so stunned he can't sleep!

So mysterious, would love to know more but it's lost to the ether or the memories of those who were building the game.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

So its been 5 days since they said this new neo geo will be "available for everyone soon enough". Is it too much for me to expect a download link already? :p

In other retro news you should all buy one of these HDMI converters (pictured below). It cost me $60 on ebay and lets me play any older console on the same monitor I use for my xbox upscaled/stretched in 1080p.
I'm sure there is better out there but I can confirm that this is both affordable and acceptable (lag/picture quality wise). Please note: light gun games still only possible on CRT

I have been using it alot as Candy put me onto a local console modder; I got my megadrive upgraded to 60hz region free and a few carts cleaned/battery changed. In addition he also cleaned the cart slot, resoldered the power socket to be less jiggly and apparently removed hundreds of baby spiders that appeared to be dead for years...lol, the things that turn up in electronics that have been sitting in a shed for too long. Very pleased with my purchase, MD now works with every game first time and feels like it came out the box recently. Not to mention I will actually play sonic now instead of pacing around and ranting about how its so slow in 50hz everytime I try :P
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

He's very good isn't he!
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Sonic 1 and 2 is on the 3DS in 3D and looks fine boomy. Stop playing it at home and start playing on the bus.

I don't get why people insist on playing old games on giant tv with it's ugly stretched appearance. Looks like shit.
Ok so I play final fight on my xbox 360 once in a while on the home screen but I would much prefer playing it on the go on the small screen. You don't gain anything seeing old games on big tv.

I'm as much a retro gamer as others but it's time to play on the bus. Just downloaded Galaxy Force II and Super Hang On on 3DS and looks awesome with 3D added. Nintendo why the fuck don't you do this shit for F-zero and Mario Kart? You wasted time making kirby in 3d classics but not games where the depth perception can make a big difference?

You should stop playing games on old consoles and instead preserve them while you play the eshop versions. What's going to happen when it's impossible to get those games? Someone will want the original and you will have worn it out.
You should be putting them in little plastic bags like the comic book guy does for his comics in the simpsons, not playing them.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
emptyvessel
XBL ID: emptyvessel79
PSN ID: emptyvessel79
Steam ID: emptyvessel

Post by emptyvessel »

SNES collection as of last month. Added a few more games since then, now up to 152 SNES games, with 118 boxed.

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I'm really aroused right now.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

crackhed, Work out how to play a 3ds with a mega drive controller and I will be right there.
That does sound cool though actually, I may investigate how the latest 3ds model feels... but I sold the launch model years ago because its dpad was just incompetent so I hated playing anything classic on it, have they actually changed the style of buttons/dpad?

But you miss the point crackhed, the point of this is to get my mega drive collection happening again. I was going to post a juicy picture of everything until I saw empty vessels photo dwarfing my 60 or so carts.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Sega to support Mega Drive game mods via Steam
You'll soon be able to legitimately mod Sega Mega Drive classics via Steam, the former platform has announced.

Sega's Mega Drive Classics Hub will feature Steam Workshop support and a library of Mega Drive games accessible via a virtual bedroom interface when it launches on 28th April.
Even if you aren't excited by the idea of modding, it's worth noting that all existing Mega Drive Steam games will be updated with full controller and keyboard support plus the option to save at any time. Handy!
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Can't wait to play them at 1440p 60fps!
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

sonic hd remix mod
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

A HD remake of the original games would be awesome
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I'd be happy for them to do a remake of Sonic 3 & Knuckles the way they did the previous games in the series. I wonder what happened to that?
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Only the power of the cloud can emulate the cartridge-on-cartridge scenario of Sonic 3 & Knuckles.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

tiny palm-sized NES releasing soon:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... es-console" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System is a miniature replica of the original NES.

It will launch here in the UK on 11th November, and comes with 30 NES games built in, such as Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, Donkey Kong and Metroid.

The console comes with a NES-style controller which can also be used when playing Virtual Console games with a Wii or Wii U.

Additional controllers will also be available separately, or you can use a Wii U Classic Controller or Wii Classic Controller Pro.

Here's the full list of included games:

Balloon Fight
Bubble Bobble
Castlevania
Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Double Dragon 2: The Revenge
Dr. Mario
Excitebike
Final Fantasy
Galaga
Ghosts 'n Goblins
Gradius
Ice Climber
Kid Icarus
Kirby's Adventure
Mario Bros.
Mega Man 2
Metroid
Ninja Gaiden
Pac-Man
Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream
StarTropics
Super C
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
Tecmo Bowl
The Legend of Zelda
Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link

The console will be powered by USB - and there's a USB cable included, but not a plug.

There's no word on whether you'll be able to download additional games to the device via an internet connection, or if this is your lot.

Today's surprise announcement of the NES Mini comes after the huge success of Pokémon Go - which shows there is a huge interest in gaming nostalgia, and classic characters being enjoyed by a new generation of gamers.
pretty cool. SNK need to do this with neogeo again like the recent neogeo x gold but CHEAPER this time. Recently bought VOL.1 of the extra games pack cheap. (license expired so no vol.2 :( Was hoping for Sengoku 3 and last blade 2 on a vol2 pack..) Oh well at least I got a chance to play savage reign on a normal arcade control.. (never got a chance to check that out. Wish capcom made a character like that with a boomerang for street fighter V. (its time they put an australian character in SF series)
Last edited by GameHED on 15 Jul 2016 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Love it! I suspect it'll sell huge and we'll get a SNES mini.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Yes it kinda ties in well with the amiibo craze because I am willing to bet a lot of the kids who look at the characters may not even know what games they debuted in. The retro games allow them to see the origins of some oldest ones.

What would be interesting is if third parties released NEW games on the NES/SNES mini for today's audience. So for instance capcom released more megaman games on these retro mini consoles for fans of older styled games. They could do remixes sort of like HD Remakes we see today on current gen consoles. (but not in HD :P)
Little kids would get introduction to older game series but the veterens get new sequels to these old games by the original creators of them. Wouldn't mind a sequel to Mighty Final Fight for instance..
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

It's $100 though...

I was excited but then I saw that price tag. I paid $40 for a mini MD that came with a bunch of games installed and I can use carts.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

Gets even worse, you can't install new games from the VC... what's the point?

Expensive garbage.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Clunkiest controller I've ever seen.
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

I'm not very techie but I thought that this video about cracking the hardware CD protection of the Saturn was pretty interesting:
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

GreyWizzard wrote:It's $100 though...

I was excited but then I saw that price tag. I paid $40 for a mini MD that came with a bunch of games installed and I can use carts.
Personally I have no interest in the ability to play the original carts. I understand why collectors do though. The new kid who is interested in old games isn't going to bother buying them on the secondhand market just to play.

For me it's all about saving space, but having old memories stored in the one device.
PC lets you get all the old games free. We can play the "but you are getting ripped" game all day. Hell I have dozens of great GBA titles on pc to play right now.

It's for those that actually want to buy the new console and controller for mostly nostalgia with good nintendo quality controllers. Like the neo geo x, to get a controller like the old ones meant looking for them on the second hand market.

Personally I wish nintendo combined the box to be a NES, GBA, and SNES system. The best retro 2d period was around those three systems.

For the Neo Geo X you could mod it to play other emulators and if you wanted to, you could play Marvel vs capcom on it. I get it, the machine was a rip off (most just bought it for the controller) but if you feel you are getting ripped just mod it to play unofficial roms that are not available officially if you wish and get your value there. The rest of us want to pay to encourage them to improve the emulation using the money we pay. If you feel ripped off, just play on VC. But not everyone who is into retro gaming want to necessarily buy a modern system, just the box designed for retro games only. (just like people who have no interest in 3D in games actually might prefer 2DS over 3DS because they will never turn it on. The argument for why you would get a retro box over playing VC on modern game machine is this: "why should I buy a modern system with overcomplicated controller with dozens of buttons that I will never use if I only plan to play retro game?" It would be like buying a sportscar but never being into motor sports and guzzling up fuel where an economy car might be better suited to your daily needs getting to work )
If only capcom made an official fighting game handheld (I'm a fan of playing on buses) similar to these things complete with all 90s era fighters and beat em ups in one system without hacking and charged $2 for each title or something. The catalogue of games both SNK and capcom made is huge. This would give an option for those who have no interest in modern gaming system to just buy what was necessary to play the old games with controllers that were just suited for those. (no need for touchscreens, gyro sensor, camera, extra buttons that were only used for 3d gaming etc)

Now Grey, can you imagine storing all those arcade motherboards of the games shown in the second video above in your house? Of course not. We all want to play them on tiny devices where the resolution is similar to stuff back then on transport. No need to collect motherboards, just let us buy these games officially as roms for retro device. That will preserve history for the next generation of game designers to look at in the past and maybe when playing these retro arcade games they get inspired for the next indie game they work on? (no need to do it illegally or own the motherboards or have to buy a modern game system whose controls are mostly designed for 3D era of gaming. Instead, just have controllers that provide the bare essentials at highest quality. (ie buttons don't stick, the experience matches the original as the emulation is as perfect as they can get, presentation is nice and polished etc for the mass audience maybe with cute descriptions about each game for those kids of today who were not aware of the limits of tech back then)
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Hercy wrote:I'm not very techie but I thought that this video about cracking the hardware CD protection of the Saturn was pretty interesting:
Oh man, he's gonna make millions. There'd have to be dozens of people who'd want that! Was interesting though.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I'd buy one.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Ambrose Burnside
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

All this NES needed was wifi, a couple GB storage and a connection to an online store. Fail.

I also have the mini Mega Drive with built-in games and cartridge slot. It's awesome.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Alright. I'm going to bite the bullet and take the plunge into Raspberry Pi RetroPi emulation.
Or do I just buy one of these tiny PC's that are coming out instead? Like this one?
http://www.computeralliance.com.au/giga ... it-network" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I get a Pi3, I should be able to focus on all of the platforms below quite capably right?

Classic Arcade
Atari 2600
Amstrad CPC
Commodore 64
Amiga
Master System
NES
MegaDrive
SNES
PC Engine
GameBoy Advance
RIGHTEOUS FURY