Console Wars book

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Console Wars book

Post by Candy Arse »

Picked it up while I was in the US and power-read it like a boss. Anyone else read it? Fucking great read and can't wait for the movie.

Really highlights how fucking retarded Sega were and how badly they shot themselves in the foot.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Re: Console Wars book

Post by Rorschach »

I've heard of it but still to read. And yes, Sega were stupid - particularly the shift from the Genesis to the Saturn. If they'd made some better moves they may have made it to Dreamcast 2 :(
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

I have something similar called The History of Videogames and that mentions the same thing about Sega. Real shame because the Dreamcast got off to a great start but the damage was done.

Also Sony reps/employees came across as arrogant shit cunts too at expo/game events.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

The book dives pretty deep into Sega of Japan's attitude towards the American division and basically how they fucked up everything Sega of America had built starting with the Sonic launch. It's very clear that the author got to speak a lot with Tom Kalinske as he's pretty much the "main character" in the book.

It also goes in pretty hard on Nintendo and their business practices of the time as well as why they were like that in the first place...and makes a decent case for why they were so stringent. It also talks about how Sega's success with the Genesis kind of forced Nintendo's hand into opening things up, ie Nintendo of Japan taking a punt on Donkey Kong Country and then going all-in once they realised how far ahead it was of everything else, also uncensored Mortal Kombat 2 etc.

There's also quite a bit in the back half about Sony's path towards the Playstation, buying Psygnosis, $299 etc

I literally couldn't put the book down.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

t0mby wrote:I have something similar called The History of Videogames and that mentions the same thing about Sega. Real shame because the Dreamcast got off to a great start but the damage was done.

Also Sony reps/employees came across as arrogant shit cunts too at expo/game events.
Sega were fucked with the Saturn. This book also covers how Sega were very close to working with Sony on the Playstation, and also talks about Sega of Japan nixing a deal which would have had Silicon Graphics powering the graphics for the Saturn. We all know how that worked out...
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I personally think this is a must-read for most people on this forum since we're in the age bracket where we can really appreciate the content and context of the story. I got quite a lot out of it that I didn't know, ie just how MUCH Sega of Japan fucked everything up.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Bloody nips.. The only thing that can bring sega back would be a big budget open world phantasy star game.

Unlike persona it can appeal to western audiences and becomes a japanese mass effect. You get married have kids, there is a soap opera story that spans multiple generations, and the engine is good enough to handle planet to planet fast travel to explore whole galaxy. (imagine no man's sky but instead of just getting out of your ship and shooting plants and rocks, you fight monsters and explore dungeons to gain exp and can go into cities full of npc and discoverig unique cultures and recruiting them)

Do you think you can scan every page and upload it for us to read the book? I'm kinda short on money today. I work for sega making sonic the hedgehog games so I need to save up in case I lose my job. (don't tell sonic fans I make them shit on purpose because I am a mario fan)
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
emptyvessel
XBL ID: emptyvessel79
PSN ID: emptyvessel79
Steam ID: emptyvessel

Post by emptyvessel »

A good friend of mine actually mailed me his copy a while back as he knew I'd enjoy it. It's been sitting on the shelf ever since as I've only been reading paperbacks on the train :(

New Years Resolution time! I'll actually read it this year (so I can send it back to my mate....)
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

You'll power through it in a week I think EV.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

What's it called or how about a link to where we can buy a copy?
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Grey opens a thread called "Console Wars book" and proceeds to ask what the book is called. :rollin:
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

In the time he took to type out that ridiculous post he could have googled it himself.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Console War book is kind of vague. Is it a title or a descriptor? Who is the author? What does it look like?
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

And now another post where it took longer to submit it than it would to type "Console Wars book" into Google and find what is required in the very first link.

You're a special kind of retard, Grey.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

First search result in Google for Console Wars (auto corrected as well) - " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Thanks Rorschach

I found it on QBD after learning the authors name and what the book looked like.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

:lol:
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Have you read Masters of Doom Candy? It's excellent.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Masters of Doom Candy is kind of vague. Is it a title or a descriptor? Who is the author? What does it look like?

Does the internet come with some kind of search tool that allows you to find things?

:lol:

No I haven't but I think I'll order it!
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

Am I just going to get angry and sad at Sega if I read this?
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Not if you stop reading at the point where it first mentions Donkey Kong Country.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

:lol: I hadn't seen this thread until now..

It reads just like a post-NYE thread should...everyone's either narky or just bewildered.
Ambrose Burnside
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Just ordered it. $11.29 with free shipping:

Source
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W
XBL ID: CLETUS IS A CUNT!
PSN ID: LESTAT IS A CUNT!

Post by Jasper »

Seth Rogen is directing the Console Wars movie - so it will be interesting to see how it all pans out.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

I wonder if they'll alter the ending to the Wii U being a success? :lol: