GIANT BOMB'S BEST GAME OF 2015 IS..(LOL CANDY'S SALTY TEARS)

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W
XBL ID: CLETUS IS A CUNT!
PSN ID: LESTAT IS A CUNT!

GIANT BOMB'S BEST GAME OF 2015 IS..(LOL CANDY'S SALTY TEARS)

Post by Jasper »

SUPER MARIO MAKER! :up: :up: :up:
ImageImage
ImageImage
Super Mario Maker

Super Mario Maker was one of those announcements that made immediate sense, but it also felt like Nintendo was playing with fire from day one. The company could reign in the wooly world of quasi-legal ROM hacks and unofficial level editors by releasing one of its own. Easy, right? Except making something that allowed for the flexibility that those existing level hacks displayed, from Kaizo Mario speedruns and Automatic Mario madness, always seemed like a pretty tight needle to thread. Allowing users to make monstrous creations while still making the toolset easy enough for anyone to pick up and enjoy is probably a pretty tough challenge. Then there's the sharing aspect of the whole thing. Nintendo's track record for communication between users has been poor, at best. Without the ability to get your levels out to others, the entire project would be DOA.

The level editing tools are exactly what they need to be. They're free-wheeling and occasionally even mysterious, but they also work in a very logical way that tends to encourage experimentation. What happens if you feed a mushroom to something? Can you put a P-switch here and still have time to get over to this spot over here? Is it possible to fall, throw a P-switch up so that a Thwomp triggers it, and then fall to safety on the new blocks below? You can lay out your tiles extremely quickly, and testing the different parts of your level is a snap, allowing you to lay out your dumb ideas and rapidly iterate on them until they're finely tuned Mario killing machines. Or... Mario fun machines? It's certainly possible to create both. The way the game makes you test your levels out by clearing them in one run before you complete them makes for a good final check, too. If you aren't good enough to beat it, you don't deserve to unleash it upon the rest of the world.

Sharing your creations with the rest of the world, perhaps unsurprisingly, is the part that Nintendo fumbled out of the gate, but the shaky house of cards that is "the Nintendo Network" provided a shitty foundation to begin with. Over time, the more dedicated pockets of the Super Mario Maker community found ways to get the levels out to each other, and Nintendo's updates have improved the discovery and sharing aspects of the game quite a bit.

Then there's the part where it plays like some of the best platformers ever created. It's set in a familiar universe with rules that make sense. Then it plays around with those rules in unexpected but sensible ways. It's not just there for you to make weird old nostalgia tests. You can slap the items together in ways that the old games wouldn't dare, and it all still works. You can dive in and play heaps of random levels pinned to different difficulty tiers. You can leave comments that let you express disgust with specific parts of levels. You can... well, you get the idea.

It's easy to want to focus on the things that Super Mario Maker can't do. You can't string together multiple levels into full worlds. That angry sun from Super Mario 3 isn't in there. Even after patching, the level discovery and filtering should be better. But the core parts that make Super Mario Maker make it sing in a joyful way. That joy, whether it comes from creating or discovering other creations, is unlike anything else released in 2015. That joy is why it's our overall pick for the year's best game.

Runners-up for best game of the year:

2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

3. Rocket League

4. Kerbal Space Program

5. Splatoon

6. Rise of the Tomb Raider

7. Undertale

8. Grow Home

9. Invisible Inc.

10. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/giant ... 1100-5320/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Jasper on 03 Jan 2016 04:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Re: GIANT BOMB'S BEST GAME OF 2015 IS...

Post by Jasper »

Note that Super Mario Maker was also Polygon's 4th best GOTY, Gamespot's 5th best GOTY, etc...and Splatoon also performed incredibly well (e.g. Eurogamer's 3rd best GOTY). :)

It truly is a travesty just how many fantastic games that the Games Ranch majority misses out on - due to not owning a Nintendo gaming system. :(

Every game Nintendo have developed for the 3DS and Wii U (as well as major third party games e.g. Bayonetta 2, Monster Hunter 4) are available on the Nintendo eShop (and i'm fully expecting them to all be available to purchase & play on the Nintendo NX), so i'm hoping some of you haters will give Nintendo a fair shake with the NX (and if so, go digging through the Nintendo eShop, to download and play some absolute gems from the past like Super Mario 3D World, Pokemon X/Y, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Mario Kart 8, Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, etc). :wink:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Now Jasper loves Jeff Gerstmann again!
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Jasper wrote:Note that Super Mario Maker was also Polygon's 4th best GOTY, Gamespot's 5th best GOTY, etc...and Splatoon also performed incredibly well (e.g. Eurogamer's 3rd best GOTY). :)

It truly is a travesty just how many fantastic games that the Games Ranch majority misses out on - due to not owning a Nintendo gaming system. :(

Every game Nintendo have developed for the 3DS and Wii U (as well as major third party games e.g. Bayonetta 2, Monster Hunter 4) are available on the Nintendo eShop (and i'm fully expecting them to all be available to purchase & play on the Nintendo NX), so i'm hoping some of you haters will give Nintendo a fair shake with the NX (and if so, go digging through the Nintendo eShop, to download and play some absolute gems from the past like Super Mario 3D World, Pokemon X/Y, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Mario Kart 8, Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, etc). :wink:
Coming from the clown who ONLY owns Nintendo systems :lol:

How many games are you missing out on not owning an Xbox, Playstation, PC etc...

Get the fuck outta here.
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

Wrong again "big red". :redface:

I have access to both Wii U and PC games. In my opinion, this combo is more than enough to allow me to play the best games available if I wanted to.

Unlike the Wii U, PS4 and XB1 games are so incredibly interchangeable, that both consoles actually cancel each other out. Besides the fact that probably 90% of PS4 and XB1 games are available in superior form on PC, I personally don't think there are enough top notch PS4 and XB1 exclusive games available at the moment to warrant a purchase of either console (though I do think that will change for PS4 in 2016).

BTW - I can tell your blood is seething that your precious Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain was owned by Super Mario Maker - especially considering this GOTY vote came from Giant Bomb (who you, and most of Games Ranch highly respect). :lol:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

What's your Steam name? I'll add you
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Jasper wrote:
BTW - I can tell your blood is seething that your precious Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain was owned by Super Mario Maker - especially considering this GOTY vote came from Giant Bomb (who you, and most of Games Ranch highly respect). :lol:
Since when? I'd trust the opinion of members here 9 times out of 10 because I know they've spent money on these games and aren't shills for commercial interests or blatant fanboys.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Metacritic -

MGSV - 95
Mario Maker - 88

:suicide: Jasper :suicide:
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

Sorry but this fat turd and his buddies at Giant Bomb disagree... :wink:

Super Mario Maker >>> Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (according to Giant Bomb) 8)

:suicide: Candy Arse :suicide:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Still waiting for your Steam id Jasper. Let's see what PC games you play. :)
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

GIANT BOMB'S BEST GAME OF 2015 IS...

A videogame, and it doesn't matter what the videogame is because we all have our own opinions of what makes a videogame great. Be it art style, or voice acting, or writing, or action, or replayability... or whatever. It all doesn't matter what someone else thinks. You like the games you like so you can just go on playing what you enjoy.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

:lol: Giant Bomb? Are they the internet equivalent of NMS? Seriously need to question the integrity of a site that rates a level making app amongst real games.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

I just created a Giant Turd in the toilet. I also rate it as this year's best. Pictures to come shorty.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

You could see it winning the award weeks before they even recorded the podcasts. Jeff and Dan are so all-in on Mario Maker and with the shoddy ending to MGSV I would have been shocked if Mario Maker DIDN'T win.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

So out of all the 100s of shitty sites on the internet someone could only find one Top 10 for the year to suit their pathetic fanboy agenda.....only one....LOL......and scrapping at the bottom of the barrel at that
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

Cletus wrote: Giant Bomb? Are they the internet equivalent of NMS? Seriously need to question the integrity of a site that rates a level making app amongst real games.
Candy Arse wrote:You could see it winning the award weeks before they even recorded the podcasts. Jeff and Dan are so all-in on Mario Maker and with the shoddy ending to MGSV I would have been shocked if Mario Maker DIDN'T win.
guttermouth wrote:So out of all the 100s of shitty sites on the internet someone could only find one Top 10 for the year to suit their pathetic fanboy agenda.....only one....LOL......and scrapping at the bottom of the barrel at that

:lol:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I'm far from salty! I love Giant Bomb and respect their opinion. No problems with Mario Maker winning GOTY.

What's your Steam ID, Jasper?
Jasper wrote:Wrong again "big red". :redface:

I have access to both Wii U and PC games. In my opinion, this combo is more than enough to allow me to play the best games available if I wanted to.
Let's find out :)
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

Truly "how embarrassment". :redface:

Metal Gear Solid 5 is a mega-budget next generation AAA-franchise game almost 4 YEARS IN THE MAKING WITH A DEVELOPMENT TEAM OF 200 PEOPLE that cost over 100 MILLION DOLLARS to develop. :shock:

Super Mario Maker is a 2D platformer creator application that cost Nintendo chump change to develop amongst probably a handful of rookie developers in under a month. :lol:

To add salt to wound, Nintendo are raking in the money with Super Mario Maker (millions of copies have already been sold), whilst Konami still haven't profited from MGS5 (Konami were damn right to fire Hideo Kojima, as he was to blame for the cost of developing the game to sky-rocket).

Konami still need to sell a couple million more copies to merely break even. Considering the game has already been available on PC/PS4/PS3/XB1/360 for ages (everyone that loves MGS has already bought their copy), that's just NOT going to happen (and probably also a big reason why Konami have stopped developing AAA console games). :cry:

MGSV's Struggle to Profit Shows Why Konami Is Moving Away From AAA Development
Last edited by Jasper on 03 Jan 2016 02:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

as an owner of a WiiU and Mario Maker, I can confirm;

Super Mario Maker is a bit rubbish.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

Nope unfnknblvbl. :wink:

We've already confirmed your problem is you're a"Vzzzbx-esque Neurotic Nintendo Gamer". :redface:

A "Vzzzbx-esque Neurotic Nintendo Gamer" is a gamer with a love/hate relationship with Nintendo, who ultimately consumed with self-hate & anger decides to purchase a Nintendo gaming system & games with a cunty attitude whilst bitching & moaning about Nintendo, and thinking that somehow Nintendo now owes them for life for their decision to purchase a Nintendo product. :roll:
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

So what's your Steam ID again?
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

This truly is fucking hilarious! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lard arse Jeff Gerstmann shows how you can use any music of your choice (or even your own voice recorded via the Gamepad microphone - as Jeff demonstrates above) to start playing when you for instance hit a note block, something shoots out of a green pipe, etc.

I once played a rick roll troll level for fuck's sake (without doubt the weirdest Mario level i've ever played - and it even had the rick roll music playing in the background). :lol:

This is what's so amazing about Super Mario Maker. It's literally millions of levels, with the combination of some levels oozing that nostalgic bliss of the familiarity in playing classic 2D Mario games, some levels (mostly from Japan) being brutally challenging but yet fun, and some levels just laugh out loud ridiculously insane. :D
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

I found the rick roll level! :lol:
And this is incredible...there are plenty of Metroid/Zelda/Sonic etc inspired levels in Super Mario Maker, but this is probably one of the best Sonic inspired levels so far....
If you're wondering why the fuck is Sonic even playable in Super Mario Maker, it's because if you tap your Sonic amiibo onto your Wii U GamePad, it activates him within the game (like every other amiibo).

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

It sounds a lot like Little Big Planet!
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

Except Little Big Planet has never won Giant Bomb's GOTY award (or in fact, any GOTY award). :lol:

Probably also explains why Super Mario Maker (on the flop Wii U console) has sold double the number of copies that Little Big Planet on PS4 has sold. 8)

You know bitch you wanna power on your Wii U right now and purchase Super Mario Maker on the eShop! :wink:

DO IT CANDY! :keke: