Official Nintendo Switch thread: Rocco free zone.

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Re: The Official Nintendo Switch Thread

Post by GameHED »

Steam only exists due to the rampant piracy which means the pc market isn't healthy. That is the honest truth.
It is supposed to compete with piracy by making legit games affordable to those that normally are going to pirate no matter what the price of a game costs. By making it convenient peoploe will just buy stufff instead of risk getting viruses from russian and chinese hackers. Cheap legit official versions helps to encourage sale of legit software over the pirated version downloaded from your pirate servers.

But it also has the side effect of making pc gamers act more entitled to have everything for free which is where all these SJWs have come about in recent years whining about having to work for money to buy games.

I see PC gamers as just like mobile gamers that won't buy premium quality content because they are used to paying so little. Mario Run's failure is an example of this.

But it's a small price to pay to keep the pc market alive. But remember when you expect to have everything for free companies like CD Projekt Red have less investment to work with for the next game they make which is why they went with console for Witcher 3 as the base platform.

I think most on this forum know this but do not want to fight you on these truths because they are afraid you will come to their house and beat them up. Maybe you are violent like general cyberfunk or something.
Don't fear candy arse. Speak your mind. Just accept the truth. PC gamers = mobile gamers with better controllers. :P
Steam will never kill consoles. The only way that wold work is if the third parties start to realise they can make more money doing mobile phone games than big budget triple A games and I don't see nintendo ever stopping making mario and zelda and smash bros and other games. It's not going to be like the death of the arcade biz. If I am wrong I will admit it but I see no evidence of nintendo not outliving steam since they've been around a LOT longer than valve ever has. But you are the guy that thought the internet didn't exist before the 90s so..... :lol:

As long as nintendo actually profit they can sustain their existence. Mobile market is eating into console one. It's up to nintendo to save the future generations of children gamers from playing poor quality games that have no depth to them by advertising their games on the mobile platform so they will buy nintendo products with the seal of quality on them. PC gamers need to understand that without us, you might not get those console ports since there would be no consoles to fund those games in the first place. You could argue that if console didn't exist, then the third parties would make more pc games, but then they'd probably make less profit too because piracy is too easy on pc compared to closed platforms.

PC is a great platform to test for original ideas but it's not as good as closed platform to profit imo. In the future I think console will probably unite into one big console like 3DO after MS quits doing the gaming thing and if Scorpio fails. (no garuantee that it's an automatic win just because it's the most powerful machine. The original xbox had the most power but japanese exclusives were enough to keep playstation 2 around. Remember games like Persona 4 came from this machine)

My view is this:

As long as Xbox brand is weak in japan, then a hardcore gamers will always require at minimum two console platforms to obtain western titles, and japanese titles if they care about getting both types of games. PC? only worth buying if you like free to play games, or the rare pc exclusive gmae. (but lot of big pc franchises get ported to consoloe at some point anyway) Lot of pc guys are usually the type that are technology savvy people that like to have control over all the settings and access to mods to customise things. But the average joe wants a box that just works by pushing a button and playing a game while they relax on the couch. There will ALWAYS be the lazy joe.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Mario Odyssey discussion (treehouse, for those who don't want to watch 5 hour stream to get to it)
Note how this is going the direction of open world again?
I wonder if they will do that with donkey kong? 2.5 D games need a break.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Online pricing is apparently revealed, 2,000-3,000 yen (which equals $17.60-$26.40 USD) annual fee.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/02/ ... vals-fees/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yoshi Sonic

Post by Yoshi Sonic »

Local EB called me today to confirm I was picking up on the 3rd, lest I get bumped to April.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

So who is getting one at launch, with what and how much for?

Seems like Zelda is going to be very well received. Wii U version for me though
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

Nope, I'll wait for the price drop, the switch is dead on arrival. Over 600 bucks to play Zelda just aint worth it and considering Nintendo still haven't learnt there lesson from the Wii U......the fucken game line-up again is a joke. Might dust the Wii U out and pick up Zelda...
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Yep I'll gladly wait for the price drop too.

I've heard about issues that are a tad disturbing, like the left controller dropping out while the right controller is fine.

Then you've got it launching with virtually no online functions. I think the longer you wait to buy it, the better your chances are of getting it in a fire sale with the functionality online being much better.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

I am still interested, just for the portability aspect but the entry price is far too high. Luckily Horizon Zero Dawn is out to sate my Zelda action RPG needs.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

Yep.....Horizon Dawn could be my only choice come this week.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Should start preloading tonight.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

10/10 from Edge!
MiNiStRy
Occasionally Overlooks Gravity.
XBL ID: MiNiStRyS
PSN ID: MiNiStRy
Steam ID: MiNiStRyS

Post by MiNiStRy »

Will pick one up after a price drop. With it's lacklustre game lineup it's not worth it for one game.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Totally agree! Wii U version will suffice, then when the Switch comes down in price I'll buy it.

Very keen to see the Digital Foundry comparison.

The Giant Bomb guys commented on the Switch version's framerate being dicey...
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Launch day for me. Switch, Pro Controller and Zelda.
I'm pumped for it. I've got Friday off work.

What an amazing week this is. Horizon and Switch/Zelda. Wow. Most excited I've been for gaming in a while.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

How much for the Switch package, Elf?
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Ugh. I'm paying an ugly price. Paying EB tax. :(
I need the piece of mind that I have a secured machine.
New, bizarre Nintendo hardware. I'm compelled to have it day one regardless of the cost.
RIGHTEOUS FURY
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Fuck that. I want one but on principle I'm not paying that money for what you're getting day one.

This feels like a botched launch. Heavily feature-incomplete, glitchy hardware, WAY overpriced for the least powerful hardware on the market.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

It's funny though eh?
At XB1/PS4 launch, some of us paid $600. Plus games and accessories, getting up to $800 or so, and didn't really think that much of it (shrug, it's a new console/hardware generation right?)
And putting things into perspective in a broader consumer electronics context, people think nothing of blowing up to or over $1000 on a phone, or $600 on a ipad (for some to play Candy Crush or Words with friends).

Nintendo always seem to face a much harsher critical focus. Do you think it comes down to the weaker hardware alone? Or is it still some of the stigma/perception of Nintendo being more of a childrens toy company rather than a tech company like Sony/MS/Apple/etc?
MiNiStRy
Occasionally Overlooks Gravity.
XBL ID: MiNiStRyS
PSN ID: MiNiStRy
Steam ID: MiNiStRyS

Post by MiNiStRy »

Definitely the weaker hardware and poor games lineup. Look at what they get in April mario kart 8 delux and as a bonus buying it again you get to carry two items at once! Why not a new game or even fzero hd?
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I didn't buy an XBONE or PS4 at launch either. Neither of them represented value, especially given what my PC was even then.

The XBONE still doesn't represent any value whatsoever. The PS4 is starting to really hit its stride finally and is worth every cent IMO.

The Switch price for what it is day one is what shits me the most. A couple of hundred bucks cheaper and I'm also there day one...but nah. Happy to wait because I'm sensing this thing will perform as "well" as the Wii U did so there are bargains coming just down the line.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

The Switch doesn't exist in a vacuum and that's why it's too expensive.

You can't compare its price to what the PS4 and Xbox One were at launch, you have to compare its price to what it's competitors are now.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

The Switch still has too many question marks for me, not least of all the depth of games for it. Definitely want to play Zelda and whatever Metroid game comes out but the high entry price ($469, seriously?) and weird controllers has me on the fence. I'll wait a year until the first price drop and think again.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Candy Arse wrote:Fuck that. I want one but on principle I'm not paying that money for what you're getting day one.

This feels like a botched launch. Heavily feature-incomplete, glitchy hardware, WAY overpriced for the least powerful hardware on the market.
The perfect time to get Switch is when the other zelda game they are working on release imo. This Zelda is really aimed at Wii U crowd and the switch release is just to give people who bought a switch something to play while the Switch-only titles finally come out which are not mere tech demos or old games ported from other platforms.

Lego City I hear is interesting in that it will be co-op finally. This game needs a sequel.

I've decided not to buy one on launch day. I want to play Skyrim on the toilet badly but I have other things to buy.

Transformers Titan Returns figures have eaten into my pocket.
I thought I was over my plastic crack addiction but they keep releasing new stuff. (never going past the toy department section again.
One thing the switch needs is a port of Berserk. I think the mindless violence of this game would suit portable game system perfectly. The switch needs dark souls, dragons dogma and all the gorey dark titles that usually don't appear on nintendo systems to prove it is a machine for the older gamer.
^
Please put this horse as DLC in smash bros.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Some great comparison photos have been released putting into perspective the size of the Switch carts and game boxes.

t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

That BotW cover looks familiar.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.