Official Nintendo Switch thread: Rocco free zone.

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Mavy
XBL ID: Mavy
PSN ID: iwantalogin

Re: Official Nintendo Switch thread: Rocco free zone.

Post by Mavy »

I'm excited too, haven't played galaxy
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

I'm mostly looking forwards to Super Mario 64.
I still own a mint copy of the N64 version, and it is in personal GOAT top 5, so it'll be very interesting to see how it holds up, and whether it will still be after re-playing it.
I'm sure it will hold up, but by how much is the question?

I've played through all the others in the past, not sure if I will again this time around.
They are all solid, super fun games, with SMS being the weakest. IMO SMG is over-rated also.
I'll give them all a chance (including SM3DW), and if they grab me, I'll stick with them.
RIGHTEOUS FURY
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

I replayed Mario64 back in 2012 on the WiiU with some controller. I didn't think it held up at all and best left a memory.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

I remember playing Mario 64 on a friend's machine back in the day and I wasn't super impressed. That said, will to give it a go. Just placed my preorder on Amazon. I'm more excited about re-releases of the Gamecube/Wii Zelda and Metroid games to be honest. I only ever played Prime - would love to see a remaster of it on Switch.
Last edited by Rorschach on 05 Sep 2020 06:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Oh yeah, hopefully Zelda next year.
I played through OOT on 3DS not that long ago, and it's lost nothing. Still fucking amazing.
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

I’ve pre ordered. Pumped for this. Mario 64 still one of the greatest platformers of all time. Played it again not too long ago. Holds up marvelously and level design is just sublime.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

have you lads played the very unofficial PC port of the decompiled Mario64 ROM?

It's pretty good. Hopefully Nintendo will do something similar instead of re-releasing the game in the original 4:3 320x240
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Mavy
XBL ID: Mavy
PSN ID: iwantalogin

Post by Mavy »

Sunshine and galaxy are 1080p 16:9. Mario 64 is still 4:3 and I think 960x720p. Not sure why they couldn't have gone 1080p there too.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

I'm looking forward to the Mario collection. I'm like 99% digital with my Switch collection so far but the time limited availability almost made me slap me down a preorder for a physical copy.

Ultimately I sat on the decision for a day and realised I don't really care to have the cart, especially with the game voucher system taking away the one factor (price) that usually got me to buy physical copies in the past.

After they made the game vouchers a thing I systematically flipped all my physical games on Gumtree to buy the equivalent amount of eshop credit to re-buy them digitally, often ending up better off thanks to the periodical BigW/Woolies/etc discounting of eshop cards. The only physical games I've got now are ones I whim purchased because they were insanely cheap (Has Been Heroes - $4, Sushi Striker - $10), and the Bayonetta Special Edition cause I'm partial to Bayo and it was $60 in a flash sale from Amazon - already had Bayo 1 too so sold the download token for $25 :up:

I've got all the games from the collection in some form or another already, Mario 64 on WiiU virtual console, Sunshine on Gamecube, and Galaxy on Wii but only played a few hours of them for whatever reason. After Mario Odyssey though my love is reignited, I played that to 999 moons and got way more out of the Luigi's Balloon game than I ever expected to. So I'm real keen to play this collection and just hope I don't burn out on Mario before I complete them.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

I’m all digital as well.. ok, I have one retail game which is BOTW which I haven’t taken out since launch.

I love being all digital with Switch, and the fact that the Switch’s OS is pretty basic which makes going from one game to another easy. :)
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

I understand a limited physical run of Mario All-Stars, but Disney Vaulting the digital version too? Nintendo are so anti-consumer it's not funny.

I've pre-ordered a (physical) copy and I don't even own a Switch :(
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Nintendo using FOMO to great effect.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Definitely a bit of a mean tactic IMO, but shit they know people will jump on it. Ultimately it's going to generate some mad profits but after they stop sale it's only going to make things harder for the end consumer and then line the pockets of scalpers.

Anyways, did anyone buy Taiko no Tatsujin for Switch? I've got DLC codes for a couple of free characters (no songs unfortunately) for the Gold Don Chan and Platinum Don Chan.

They were free time limited DLC for America so I just did a region swap back when they were available. Recently discovered that they were made available on the BandaiNamco freebie store for the Australian release.

I redeemed them but ultimately don't need them since I've already got them - hit me up and I'll PM the codes. Otherwise just register to BandaiNamco "EPiC" store and you can redeem your own codes, there is a free song for the PS4 version you can claim too.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

I would have Taiko No Tatsujin on the Switch if they ever sold it for a reasonable price. I think it's been 50% off before which brought it down to $45, still ludicrous in the context of what $45 can get you on the eShop. It's fun, but ultimately offers pretty simplistic gameplay and could run comfortably on a toaster so I don't know what they're thinking putting a AAA price tag on something so niche (never mind the microtransactions).

I'm intrigued to find out more about this Bowser's Fury content, I've got SM3DW on Wii U and SM3DL on 3DS already so a port of the Wii U version is a tough sell for me.

Mario Sunshine would be much more of a pain to try and revisit (US copy, GC's dead, Wii is PAL) so I slapped a preorder down for this Switch compilation. I do love a good platformer and it's been long enough that I wouldn't mind playing Sunshine and Galaxy again. Galaxy sans Wiimote sounds nice. I really hope they've revamped the controls and camera in Mario 64 too. I know this is blasphemous but while I acknowledge it was an important release, it wasn't a game I particularly enjoyed playing at the time. Even just using the joycons vs the medieval torture device that was the N64 controller should be a marked improvement.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Yeah, you're pretty spot on about TNT Gamma. I offloaded my copy of it.
Funny though, when I was in Japan, I was so tempted to grab the drum. Saw it around quite a bit. Wasn't all that expensive either.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Fair enough, definitely not for everyone. It appears a bit simplistic but fucking hard on the upper difficulties, and I think a lot of fun :-)

The eshop suffers a bit with high prices generally though, there is some stuff I would love to get but really can't justify dropping the money on knowing I'll probably only get a couple of hours of play out of it (Carrion is one that comes to mind) so I just wishlist them and hang out for an eventual sale. Bit annoying at the discount disparity between regions though, I know Mr. Driller is currently on sale in America but not here >_<

If you've got the ability to add US funds (and are interested) might be worth keeping an eye out for the next time it is on sale on the US eshop though, as the most recent discount was like 75% off coming out to like $25AU or so from memory. There is only one SKU for "Drum N Fun" so DLC bought on Aus eshop works and vice versa with US version. They have added in an online VS mode earlier in the year, as well an esports tournament mode that dropped in I think August. Also about 12-14 free songs currently available to boost up the song count. The online modes have rewards too so you can get a free songs just from playing the online modes though they trickle out at only 1 every 4 weeks or so.

If you like the game but aren't really interested in paying the Switch pricing check out taiko.web , free and has a shitload of songs, drum and controller support too. Think there is also something called TJAPlayer which is like fan made but you can import songs into it, never looked into it myself as I don't do much gaming on PC let alone rhythm gaming.

I got surprisingly addicted to the PSP editions when they were current, and played them heaps, so I was always planning on getting it when it was announced for Switch but never pulled the trigger until it got an english release because I didn't want to faff with a second Switch account, or loading up more yen if I wanted to get DLC.

Since I cut my teeth on the PSP I got really comfortable with the buttons and that is the main way I play, though the touch drumming works really well too. Admittedly never even tried the motion controls but I picked up one of the cheap knock off drums so that when the notion strikes me I can give it a bash. I think I paid about $60 when I bought it but can be found from ebay/aliexpress for as low as $40 inc postage these days.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

That taiko web is pretty good for free.
Thanks for that.
TNT version of guitar flash or clone hero.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Perhaps I chose my words poorly- I didn't mean TNT wasn't challenging or engaging, it was more of a technical observation. I had a blast with it at a work get-together once and would have bought it the next day but there was no sale at all at the time and $90 just isn't happening. That web version isn't bad at all!
Ben wrote:The eshop suffers a bit with high prices generally though, there is some stuff I would love to get but really can't justify dropping the money on knowing I'll probably only get a couple of hours of play out of it (Carrion is one that comes to mind) so I just wishlist them and hang out for an eventual sale.
Exactly what I do, right down to Carrion being the last game I chucked on there. :D It looks like a lot of fun, but yeah, I've heard it's pretty linear and fairly brief.

I don't approach it as waiting for a particular game to be on sale though, it's more that there are so many cool games on my wishlist now that there's nearly always something among them that's dirt cheap. About $30 is my upper bound now unless I know it's something special, but a lot of stuff is sub $10. It's great if you're into puzzle games, I've bought games for less than a couple of bucks just using leftover gold points and there are some really good titles. Playing a great little game called She Remembered Caterpillars at the moment, it was $1.49. It's hard to go wrong for that sort of money, I think Nonogram Prophecy is the only stinker in my library of around 60 titles.

I still haven't mucked around with any alternate region stores or anything like that, I probably should.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Nah all good, probably just a misread on my part!

I've been a bit wary of the real cheap eshop titles due to the massive influx of mobile games winding up on there, and a tendency for developers to game the system so to speak, constantly discounting like 90% off so that they are whim purchased and end up top of the eshop charts despite being trash.

The few that I've bought on the real cheap are ones that I read into/heard of, or played demos of, like Screencheat and Death Squared - doesn't hurt that they Australian made so supporting local developers.

Death Squared devs have been real transparent - even go so far as to recommend people not buy the game at full price when they know they've got a sale in the works! Ultimately they've admitted to the exact same thing, trying to game the eshop charts with hefty discounts, but the difference being they are pretty good games.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

That sort of behaviour does annoy me, you can 'hide' those shitty games that are perpetually on sale on Deku Deals which is nice. I often find if you click through to the publisher of a shovelware game, all of the games they publish are trash so that's another way of cutting through the crap. Inversely when I find a cool little indy game their publisher often has other cool games. It's pretty easy to identify the absolute garbage, they often don't even bother to give them a compelling title and it looks like a child slapped the art together in five minutes.

Death Squared is on sale again at the moment, I might have to give it a look. I think I was put off by the "1-4 players" part, I presumed it would be designed around multiplayer and not be so crash hot in single player.

One of these days I'll post a roundup of all of the cheap little puzzle games I've had a look at. Two absolute must-haves in my books are Baba Is You and Pipe Push Paradise.
klee123

Post by klee123 »

Monster Hunter Rise just got announced for March next year.
Sure it's a massive step down from World graphically, but it looks so fun with the new grappling hook system!
Last edited by klee123 on 18 Sep 2020 07:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Todays direct mini was pretty solid imo.
All that Monster Hunter stuff looked excellent.
klee123

Post by klee123 »

Yup, just a solid direct all around.

2021 is looking to be a massive year for Switch.

Just waiting for the announcement of the pro version of the console so I can trade in my existing Switch. PS5 can wait lol.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Well, Mario 64 is certainly faithful to the original. Fuckin' rough as guts. Going to try and struggle through it before moving onto Sunshine, but I'll be surprised if I make it to the end. So many weird design choices. Getting booted out of a stage after collecting a star is dumb. Every time you finish a stage it asks if you want to save and continue, save and quit, or continue without saving. I don't even want to know how low this framerate is. Christ the camera's unbearable.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Don't believe the haters who claim Mario 64 is a straight port- I think they've added a memory leak. :suicide:

Emulating a game your own company made 25 years ago is hard.