Official Nintendo Switch thread: Rocco free zone.

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Yoshi Sonic

The Official Nintendo Switch Thread

Post by Yoshi Sonic »

Yeah I should give Witcher 3 another crack. I mean the whole sex on unicorns things was kinda cool, but the main character struck me as being a bit of a jock.

Heck I'm not a great judge of popular games anyway. I even disliked Last of Us.

These days an enjoyable game is one I can sit through with my 5 year old.

Anyway, Zelda is about the dungeons. It even worked when the open-world was an empty ocean.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Re: The Official Nintendo Switch Thread

Post by Candy Arse »

The Witcher 3 is the best RPG I've ever played, bar none.

The map is obviously gigantic but every area has its own story and unique parts about it.

Geralt is an emotionless twat, but there's a lot more humour in there than you'd expect and it plays well given his stone-like features.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

The gameplay inside dungeons has always been the defining quality of the 3D Zelda games for me, and as far as I've seen you can't really get that elsewhere. I think that's why I enjoyed Skyward Sword so much (after the admittedly slow start), that dungeon gameplay bled out into the overworld.

Don't beat yourself up over TLoU Yoshi Sonic, it had it's hour or so to impress me and failed dismally. Couldn't give a shit how many awards it received, it was about as enjoyable as tetanus.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

It took me a bit longer than usual to get into the Witcher 3 because I didn't really like the second one but once you get into the story and some of the side quests - wow. Probably will end up being the game of the generation. Geralt grows on you as you play, initially coming across as a bit of an arsehole but later in the game you come to understand why he interacts with people in the way he does.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Going from Witcher 2 to Witcher 3 is like Street Fighter 1 to Street Fighter 2. It's seriously that far ahead in every possible respect.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

IGN says what we all knew when it was first unveiled:
Overall, the Switch is an attractive and powerful but oversized portable gaming system that struggles to be a convincing or reliable home console.

If I had to score it now I’d give it a 6.7.
http://au.ign.com/articles/2017/03/01/n ... eview?read" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Yep, it's DOA.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Who's picking one up tomorrow?

I rang up my local EB store and they said there might be a few available tomorrow if you don't pre order.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... tch-review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A great read.

Underwhelming battery life, dodgy controllers and overpriced.

BUT an amazing handheld gaming system (which is what they recommend it's viewed as) with a lot of potential for the future.

I'm 100% going to get one because Nintendo games, but very happy holding off for now.
Ambrose Burnside
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Wait for the inevitable DSi/New 3DS style hardware revision.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

I don't even think that will happen. I'm betting they'll treat this as a console rather than handheld. Will they re-design it? I doubt it.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

As a handheld I'll be getting it, if for Zelda alone. Like Candy, will hold off on buying until there are more games for it though
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

I bought the fucking Wii U for Zelda. Never again, Nintendo.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I reckon Christmas is when I'll jump in.

Price will have dropped dramatically, Mario and other games will be out, Virtual Console will surely be up and running as well.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Yep, sounds about right. Much as I want to pick up Zelda tomorrow, taking that out of the equation by getting it on Wii U will only make it harder to justify a Switch later on.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Gamma wrote:Yep, sounds about right. Much as I want to pick up Zelda tomorrow, taking that out of the equation by getting it on Wii U will only make it harder to justify a Switch later on.
Unquestionably Switch will be worth buying eventually.

Buying it at launch comes down to one's love of Zelda.
Yoshi Sonic

The Official Nintendo Switch Thread

Post by Yoshi Sonic »

Little fella is going to love this on our fortnightly intercity drives. Heck, I'm going to love playing through it with him.

I'm picking up both versions of Zelda tonight. It seems like a fitting swan song for my launch Wii U, to round out a solid game library.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

EDGE: 10/10

Famitsu: 40/40

Gamespot: 10/10

IGN: 10/10

Giant Bomb: 5/5

God Is A Geek: 10/10

Gamesradar: 5/5

Gamecentral: 10/10

Polygon: 10/10

Destructoid: 10/10

US Gamer: 5/5

Game Informer: 10/10

The Guardian: 10/10

Game Reactor: 10/10

Venturebeat: 100/100

Time Magazine: 5/5

Eurogamer: Essential

Game is killing it on MetaCritic.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Here are some choice quotes I found whilst reading the reviews for the game!
GameCentral~Metro: 10/10

In Short: The best Zelda there’s ever been, and very possibly the best video game ever made.
IGN: 10/10

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is a masterclass in open-world design and a watershed game that reinvents a 30-year-old franchise. It presents a wonderful sandbox full of mystery, dangling dozens upon dozens of tantalizing things in front of you that just beg to be explored. I’ve had so many adventures in Breath of the Wild, and each one has a unique story behind what led me to them, making them stories on top of stories. And even after I’ve spent more than 50 hours searching the far reaches of Hyrule, I still manage to come across things I haven’t seen before. I’ll easily spend 50 to 100 more trying to track down its fascinating moments.
DigitalChumps: 10/10

This is it, folks. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is Nintendo’s Magnum Opus. It’s not only the best Zelda game ever created, it’s also one of the very best videogames in the history of the art. Games like this are so rare that it would be impossible to classify it as anything other than a masterpiece. Experience it at all costs.
EDGE: 10/10

The result, for all the longevity of its series and the familiarity of the open world genre, is a game that evokes feelings we haven't felt for 20 years. Not since Ocarina of Time have we set foot in a world that feels so mind-bogglingly vast and unerringly magical, that proves so relentlessly intriguing. Plenty of games promise to let us go anywhere and do anything. Few, if any, ever deliver so irresistibly. 19 years on Ocarina is still held up as the high water mark of gamings best loved and greatest series. Now it may have to settle for second place.
GameSpot: 10/10

No matter how gorgeous its environments are, how clever its enemies are, and how tricky its puzzles get, the fact that Breath of the Wild continues to surprise you with newfound rules and possibilities after dozens of hours is by far its most valuable quality. It's a game that allows you to feel gradually more and more empowered yet simultaneously manages to retain a sense of challenge and mystery-which, together, creates a steady, consistent feeling of gratification throughout the entire experience. Breath of the Wild is a defining moment for The Legend of Zelda series, and the most impressive game Nintendo has ever created.
Eurogamer: Essential

All that has been either swept aside or remade from first principles. It's hard to overstate the courage and conviction with which producer Eiji Aonuma, director Hidemaro Fujibayashi and their team have rewritten their own work, and the size of the risk Nintendo has taken with a beloved property. Breath of the Wild isn't just the most radical departure from the Zelda tradition in its 30-year history, it's the first Nintendo game that feels like it was made in a world where Half-Life 2, Halo, Grand Theft Auto 3 and Skyrim happened. It's inspired by those greats and others, but it doesn't ape them any more than it rests on its own laurels. And if we're talking inspirations, we have to recognise one game above all others, an uncompromising adventure from 1986 that dared to take gaming off the rails, that put a whole world beyond the TV screen and invited the player to explore it: the original Legend of Zelda.
GiantBomb: 5/5

Nintendo may have changed so many long-standing traditions of the Zelda franchise, but the spirit of discovery is as strong as it’s ever been no matter your age. I didn’t think I’d feel the Zelda magic this strongly ever again, but I couldn't be happier to be proven wrong.
GamesRadar: 5/5

The series has always had something of a fairytale quality to it - its grand landscapes and worlds suggestive of so much more. The sight of dawn over a shimmering lake. The rolling plains of Hyrule Field stretched out beneath you. It speaks to our imaginations, calling us on to adventure. What a familiar feeling to look across Hyrule Field at Death Mountain, wondering what it would be like to climb it. What a profound thrill to make that journey in its entirety. It has taken 18 years, but Nintendo has done it again: this is the adventure game to beat.
Polygon: 10/10

I guess, in the end, it’s not just that Breath of the Wild signals that Zelda has finally evolved and moved beyond the structure it’s leaned on for so long. It’s that the evolution in question has required Nintendo to finally treat its audience like intelligent people. That newfound respect has led to something big, and different, and exciting. But in an open world full of big changes, Breath of the Wild also almost always feels like a Zelda game — and establishes itself as the first current, vital-feeling Zelda in almost 20 years.
God is a Geek: 10/10

I do not say this lightly: Breath of the Wild is an absolute masterpiece, and may well be the best The Legend of Zelda game ever made. Having grown up playing those first games as a child on a system I remember fondly, it feels extra special to be playing a new Zelda on a new console and this is everything I wanted it to be and more. I won’t forget Breath of the Wild for a long time, because it’s a memorable, beautiful, stunner of a game.
Kotaku: Open-World Perfection

And as you talk about Breath of the Wild with your friends, there’s one word that will rarely if ever come up: “can’t.” Stories about the new Zelda will instead revolve around what you can do. How you climbed all the way to the top of the Temple of Time just for kicks, or how you parachuted down to the lowest point of Hyrule to see what kind of secrets you’d find there. How you found a brilliant method to brute-force your way through the freezing, snowy mountains, or how you set a forest on fire just to see if you could.

Or, how you tried something as ridiculous as flipping over a maze so you wouldn’t have to solve it, and the game somehow let you finish the puzzle anyway. Breath of the Wild is the best Zelda game to date, and it accomplishes that simply by saying yes.
USGamer: 5/5

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is an amazing game.[/u] As someone who loves open-world games, this is one of the best out there. As someone who enjoys the Zelda series, I honestly think I can say the same thing again. Nintendo has brought together a number of different ideas and mechanics, but integrated them into something that stands on its own. It's the kind of game where I don't want Nintendo to do something completely different for the next Zelda. I want more of this.

Destructoid: 10/10

This isn't your typical boiler plate open world cash grab, rife with to-do lists and busywork. Zelda: Breath of the Wild is an evolution of the formula for both eastern and western philosophies alike, and a new blueprint.

The Verge: No Score

This new direction, and shaking up of the age-old formula that has come to define the series, helps Breath of the Wild return to what made Zelda so beloved in the first place. More so than just about any game series, Zelda’s heart lies in exploration, that moment of seeing a towering mountain in the distance and realizing that eventually you’ll be able to reach the top. Breath of the Wild takes this idea, cuts out the fluff, and expands upon it. It pulls ideas from other games, like crafting or survival, yet makes them feel perfectly at home in its beloved universe. It’s exactly the Zelda game I’ve been waiting for.

Game Revolution: 5/5

Congratulations Nintendo, you just earned my first ever perfect score.
Yoshi Sonic

Post by Yoshi Sonic »

Wow. I'm not even going to browse Facebook on the train tomorrow.

Shit I might even skip work.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Yep you might want to go on a blackout for a while when playing through this.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

http://press-start.com.au/news/nintendo ... d-friends/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's 2017 and with Nintendo's latest device you add friends...using friend codes :lol:
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

This thread is informative. Those quotes you've kindly listed, Candy, will mean I'll probably buy this.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Yeah, thanks Candy