Official Nintendo Switch thread: Rocco free zone.

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Re: The Official Nintendo Switch Thread

Post by Candy Arse »

This has the smell of commercial disaster all over it.

Obviously I'll buy it, but mobiles are in charge now.
emptyvessel
XBL ID: emptyvessel79
PSN ID: emptyvessel79
Steam ID: emptyvessel

Post by emptyvessel »

New Nintendo console. Of course I'll buy it.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Saw the videos this morning and it looks like the end for mobiles now that people can play with proper quality games on the go where the game machine is designed with buttons in mind.

I wonder what this means now for 3DS?

Smash Bros on a bus with the old lady going to bingo is going to be fucking awesome.
Sony and MS wil probably try to clone this with their own peripheral now.

And WTF??? was that skyrim on a nintendo machine? How come nobody noticed this? Holy shit. Skyrim on the toilet.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

The small pads for mobile use look terrible.

The pro controller on the other hand looks more than fine!
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

All they need now is VR thing for the next upcoming R rated open world Metroid game made by Platinum games and they have won.
It's time sony merged with nintendo to kill MS who is going to kill them when Scorpio is released. They are going to be the sega dream cast if they don't hurry up.

I want to see Metroid. Mario ain't enough. He is in fucking everything. Samus need an RPG/exploration game in the style of a survival horror movie where your suit can be upgraded, customised, adapted for stealth, tank, assault build and you have giant environments like Xenoblade to fly your ship around to fast travel. Zelda is already open world now so they have the tech for doing it. Wii U went without any F-zero or Metroid, not even 2D one like New Super Mario. Is the franchise considered dead now? Even Kirby saw some love on Wii U and 3DS and not many notice his games.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

Candy Arse wrote:This has the smell of commercial disaster all over it.

Obviously I'll buy it, but mobiles are in charge now.
Thats it.....its the Wii U all over again. There going after that casual game market again, and as long as they have their phones and free to play games they wont care.

So for the third generation in a row where are left with an unpowered Nintendo console in favour of another gimmick. Wait is it a console or a tablet with a charging dock??

Didn't the new Nintendo Prez a few months ago come out and say he knew the Wii U would flop and wanted to change the direction......I guess dropping the Wii name is something

A new 3d Mario and Zelda, will probably still buy one...
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

They are changing direction - this is the last "console" before they go fully mobile/3rd party.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Portability is nice but very overrated in my world. Not interested.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Looking forward to all their mobile games ported to NINTENDO XBOX.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Candy Arse wrote:They are changing direction - this is the last "console" before they go fully mobile/3rd party.
Imo they're already mobile now since they're just using Tegra. Wouldn't be surprised to see the system based on a custom fork of android.
emptyvessel
XBL ID: emptyvessel79
PSN ID: emptyvessel79
Steam ID: emptyvessel

Post by emptyvessel »

Holy shit, just realised something. Unless you're using the pro controller, there is no dpad to be seen.

End of an era...
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

I like the idea that they showed adults playing games with each other outisde instead of little kids.
They are going back to Nintendo gamecube mode again of appealing to teens and young adults market not just your kid who is just going to use the portable to play pokemon or animal crossing.

The multiplayer and portable side to it will appeal to people who don't want to be stuck indoors only to play true triple A games.
You can still play the home version of the next Mario Kart in a public toilet and not the 3DS version of the game.
Saves them money porting the same thing to two systems.
So it's more of an evolution not a revolutionary gimmick this time.

-Wii was a big step away from traditional gaming which scared the shit out of the hardcore (fat people)
-Wii U was their knee-jerk reaction apology to the core gamer. (it had to exist because we had HD tvs now and many felt alienated by wii because of a focus on casuals)

This looks like the merging of casuals and core gaming fans. It's not a commercial disaster, (people actually WANT this because we are sick of buying two hardware devices) but more like them adapting to the changing way we are consuming games. Not something new, but just getting it done right, where we abandon optical media and start tuning expensive-to-make titles into portable experiences so it can reach two different audiences at the same time:

1. the portable gamer who plays the pokemon or monster hunter or JRPG game on the go - remember that portable gaming is big in japan beause they are busy. and
2. the fat antisocial nerd who only has online friends but doesn't have real life ones because he is too busy playing by himself to have a social life. ie those epic single player open world RPGs or MMO games which suck your real life out of you.

If they don't market it, (like Wii U) it will get ignored but the benefits of merging things still saves them money. I have no interest in portable mobile phone titles with shallow gameplay. (you can play those on home consoles TOO :P)

I tend to agree with Total Biscuit that the kind of shit on mobile isn't on the same level of gameplay depth as pc title or home console title, so it's a waste of time if you are hardcore gamer to play those if a superior alternative exist at home. What Switch/NX does is not give you cut-down shallow shit, but the game you were already playing on the go.
That's not the same as Wii U. Wii U let you move around the house to play something while the wife/GF hogged the TV. This is different enough to be appealing to japanese guys who can save a lot of money just buying one game. Eg when monster hunter 3u came out, you had to buy the same thing on 3DS if you wanted to play on the go. No more wasted money doing this anymore which should be good news for the game industry as they only have to work on 1 game not waste time on ports.
That translates into more games they can make per console cycle now. (so more overall DIFFERENT titles per generation)

It doesn't sound that exciting but people who play portable titles like Monster Hunter where co-op multi is encouraged can now rest easy that HD versions of the game don't need to be made, the default is the home console version and while they are on the go, they can grind while continuing their busy lifestyle and multitask. Wii U didn't let you play Mario Kart 8 during your breaks at work. You had to play Mario Kart 7. It will be interesting to see if that boosts the overall online community numbers per title now as there is less seperation between portable version and home version. For example 3DS version of Mario Maker isn't going to be as good as Wii U version. But if that same title was on NX/Switch the two communities pool their attention to one game. Making the single title have longer term appeal because it's only one title not two seperate ones where a single person must split his attention to two different communities. More space in EB games shelves for selling preowned games and amiibos now. :D

You got to remember that mobile phone games have no depth or quality control that real games do. When you can bring your REAL games on the go, that changes things. Maybe not to the level you notice if you prefer only playing indoors, but games are getting bigger now and more expensive so saving money may lower risk to do more ambitious titles. (since the pool of gamers overall increased when merged to one thing. The userbase consists of portable gamers with home console ones which = more exposure of your game)
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

It's an interesting concept but I'm not sure who the target market is.

It's far too underpowered for the hardcore who are hanging out for PS4 Pro (also underpowered) or Scorpio or are content with PC. The rest will be happy with their existing PS4s and Xbox Ones. Why would they change to a whole new system instead of eventually upgrading along their existing brand lines?
With that many detachable bits and pieces kids will absolutely destroy it.
Casuals play on smartphones. Why would they buy a dedicated handheld in 2017?!

Which leaves us with hardcore Nintendo fans. Who, if the Wii U is any indication (and pretty much everything Nintendo except for the Wii outlier for the last 20+ years) is a rapidly dwindling market.

Good luck :)

Nintendo-wise I'm happy with my Wii U that I grabbed for cheap. Looking forward to picking up all the Wii U games I've missed on the cheap too (and original Wii for that matter, backwards compatibility ftw!) now that the software fire sale will ramp up in earnest :up:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Wii U fire sale has been going since 2 weeks after it launched :lol:

Great console.
Ambrose Burnside
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Hardware, software tends to remain stubbornly Nintendo full price.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

:lol:
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

I don't know, my kids are perfectly happy with their ipads and samsung tablets, the games are free as long as I lock down IAP.

They have a PS4/Xbone when they want to play something meatier. I think they just need to go 3rd party, the hardware is basically as others have said here redundant because we already have better options in our households.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

This is an nVidia shield. I already have one of those.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:It's an interesting concept but I'm not sure who the target market is.
Didn't you watch the reveal? It's aimed at well-manicured 20-30 year olds who dress in layers of cheap-looking but rather expensive clothing who like to meet on rooftops and talk about Hilary Clinton and Donald Trump.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:It's an interesting concept but I'm not sure who the target market is.

It's far too underpowered for the hardcore who are hanging out for PS4 Pro (also underpowered) or Scorpio or are content with PC. The rest will be happy with their existing PS4s and Xbox Ones. Why would they change to a whole new system instead of eventually upgrading along their existing brand lines?
With that many detachable bits and pieces kids will absolutely destroy it.
Casuals play on smartphones. Why would they buy a dedicated handheld in 2017?!

Which leaves us with hardcore Nintendo fans. Who, if the Wii U is any indication (and pretty much everything Nintendo except for the Wii outlier for the last 20+ years) is a rapidly dwindling market.

Good luck :)

Nintendo-wise I'm happy with my Wii U that I grabbed for cheap. Looking forward to picking up all the Wii U games I've missed on the cheap too (and original Wii for that matter, backwards compatibility ftw!) now that the software fire sale will ramp up in earnest :up:
Xbox One? I didn't bother with it and am skipping it for Scorpio. Clearly it deserves to die thanks to them being obsessed with spying on us.

PC? How do I play Bayonetta 2 and Mario Kart on it? I like PC but it's not a dedicated game machine. Buggy as shit.

PS4 Pro? That doesn't have the games I am into. Not knocking it, but I only bought it for things that won't be on the other systems. Sony had the edge over MS thanks to MS fucking up. But by the time the next MS box is out people will go back to the most powerful console. Might get it when it is cheap some day but for now PS4 will suffice.

Unlike you guys I buy machines for games not for the tech powering it. Breath of the Wild is going to be awesome.
Japan still knows how to make games and not tun them into F2P pieces of shit where you must buy your way to victory.
The povo cunts who play those mobile games and pc games are used to bad game design because they don't know any better. The real gamers are what I am talking about not the fake gamers who happen to have a phone to play candy crush on or some shit farming sim on the train. LOL
Going to have to disagree with you. Nobody give two shits about sales. Just the games. I like the Bro shooters and racing sims as much as the next guy, but that's not enough to satisfy me. I want updates to classic games. Not overhyped shit like Destiny.
To me gameplay is everything. You won't find Dark Souls on your mobile because those guys are not into hardcore games. So no mobile is not relevent to gaming for those who care about depth you loon. I don't care how many mobiles are out there. If the game controls like shit I have no intention of ever playing on one because I like good controls which is why it was such a shame GTA3 never got HD port to the Vita but appeared on mobile. lol
Games like Street Fighter and Blazblue can actually be played on dedicated game machines so stop pretending that mobile actually matters to people that MATTER. Your casual gamer with mobile isn't playing that shit. They are playing stupid farming sims. Anything mobiles do, the dedicated game machines do better. But the reverse isn't true.
Some games like Galak Z are never going to be as good on mobile as they are on game machines since good controls are needed to be fully connected to the action onscreen. While stuff like adventure games with point and click gameplay could easily ALSO be done on Vita and other dedicated game machines.

In other words if a good mobile game ever gets made to warrant being on dedicated game systems, the game on dedicated game systems end up being either just as good or superior. So if I own a game system why on earth would I play on mobile? It's waste of time. With Switch, you can play games you were already into which have been bug tested, quality tested, balance tested (if its competitive game) and well designed...but on a public toilet where its safe to hide from the NSA who are trying to track everyone. You can't say this about Xbone which was designed to spy on you. If it weren't for Edward Snoden, I might have bought it but it's too risky as there is no security on american made products because they always have bugs and other things in the code due to lack of checking. (that's why you need to update all your games every 5 seconds)

Yes power and good graphics are important too, however many people follow the system based on what game series is on them. (eg if you are into Final Fantasy back in the day and bought a N64 you were fucked. So you had to buy a sony PS1, not because you were worried aboubt graphics.. If you like monster hunter, you are fucked if you owned only a PSvita. Content can determine what system you get)
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

I already have all the Nintendo games I want. It was free on my mobile. Mobile gaming is awesome.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

In. No question about it. Nintendo offers something different from MS and Sony and I can get their games on my PC.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

GreyWizzard wrote:In. No question about it. Nintendo offers something different from MS and Sony and I can get their games on my PC.
Plus they don't obsess over spying on us with voice activated crap like kinect which is a gimmick I can live without. Scorpio is what they should have gone with in the first place.
The future is a reality tv show type world where big brother has cameras and mics hidden in your walls and appliances without your knowledge. Game systems are included in this.

http://massprivatei.blogspot.com.au/201 ... nside.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You are paying for your enslavement. To counter this secret languages now have to be invented using non-conventional tech to translate things to protect secrets. (like psychic communication system - think of the little girl in Escape to Witch Mountain)
The Adza
PSN ID: The_Adza

Post by The Adza »

So far I am impressed. So far it's like a reverse Wii U and a Handheld all in one. I love the cute little controllers. They look perfect for playing emulated games of consoles from the past so hopefully that's a signal to finally do a Virtual Console service correctly.

If I was to purchase it, it would mainly be used in console mode, but yeah I had no intention of buying a portable gaming machine after the 3DS. Time wasters and games for on the go I use my phone for, I don't want to take a chance on buying another handheld that gets old real quick. I loved my 3DS at the start but after a year or so I just stopped playing. I loved the Wii U but the games dried out and I stopped playing. But this, being all in one, and it looks to be done right, and my opinion is that it looks to be done right without any kind of gimmick other than being a hybrid home/portable console, which means not having to fork out the money for two Nintendo consoles in a generation.

What would be a nice surprise, seeing as it looks as though the standard console when in use hooked up to a TV, is that 2nd screen gaming like the Wii U is dissapearing. And granted there weren't many games that made it essential, but it was a nice extra. It should never have been the gimmick and selling point. It just doesn't offer enough, but when done right can be a nice added extra, but what if someone wanted to expand their gaming experience to have that 2nd screen, somehow you could use another Switch screen controller with the base station, and with some technological wizardry, it could possibly make the Switch more powerful, kind of like hardware stacking? Or even if it wasn't used for wireless play, a different base station could house 2 or even more of the tablet like controllers to boost the systems power for home use, but then be separated so the brother and the sister or dad and mum can take their Switch device. Surely Nintendo would like the extra cash flow of selling the same console to different members of the same household. And what better incentive for that to happen would be if when they want to play together in the lounge room is to combine their consoles for an optimum and premium experience. I mean Sony are going to have their games on the PS4 scaleable so they play on both their standard and pro consoles. It would also shut up the people worrying about the console being underpowered.