Official Nintendo Switch thread: Rocco free zone.

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

flipswitch
que
que

Re: Official Nintendo Switch thread: Rocco free zone.

Post by flipswitch »

Anyone picking up Neo: The World Ends With You ? Demo out on the eStore and also coming to PS4/PC on the 27th. I played the demo and kind of like it.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Gamma wrote: 11 Jul 2021 11:49 amLooking at getting a bluetooth adapter to connect my AirPod Pros to the Switch. HomeSpot and GuilKit are apparently decent, I've got my eye on the HomeSpot Bluetooth Adapter Pro. It lets you connect to two devices so you can hear game audio and Spotify (or whatever) from your phone. Seems like a really good solution for online chat too if I ever play anything like that. Just a little concerned about latency given the AirPoops don't support aptx or whatever. Anyone tried anything like this?
Whelp, procrastination has paid off yet again- I'm not sure when it was released but the latest system update added BT headphone support to the Switch. Pairing with my AirPod Pros was painless. I think there's a bit of a delay introduced, but it's not enough to matter outside of perhaps rhythm games and that sort of thing. Might fire up Crypt of the Necrodancer later to see how it fares, I don't really have anything else on the Switch where the audio timing is critical.

You can use a maximum of two JoyCons in wireless mode alongside the BT audio connection, which doesn't impact me in the slightest (I'll be playing single player, portably)... but it's hard to even contrive a situation where this limitation matters. If you're using more than two JoyCons wirelessly, you're playing a local multiplayer game, and if you're playing a multiplayer game and keeping the audio to yourself via BT headphones you're a weirdo. I guess you can't connect it to a BT speaker when playing multiplayer undocked, but that's a pretty damn specific use case.

It doesn't let me listen to Spotify at the same time as the game audio, but it also doesn't cost anything, so I'll take it. :up:
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Nintendo Direct was a few hours ago.

Castlevania Advance Collection is out now, $30 for Circle of the Moon, Harmony of Dissonance, Aria of Sorrow, and Dracula X.

New Kirby game looks like it takes a lot of cues from recent 3D Mario titles, looks pretty cool:

Wasn't really interested in the rest. Another Bayonetta, Splatoon and Mario Party, Monster Hunter and Hyrule Warriors DLC, some Squeenix card game, Chocobo GP, ports of Disco Elysium and Star Wars: KOTOR, free content for Animal Crossing and Mario Golf... Actraiser: Renaissance looks pretty cool (I never played the original) but I'm a bit iffy on the Sim City bits. We'll see.

Also they're adding a second tier to Nintendo Online that adds N64 and Genesis games. I doubt I'll bite unless it's super cheap, I don't have much love for the N64 and while the Genesis titles are a bigger draw, I've managed to survive so far without buying the Genesis Collection for Switch. There are wireless versions of the original controllers available if you enjoy hand cramps.

Only two weeks to go until Metroid Dread, I'm trying to keep my expectations in check but it really looks like it's going to be great.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

It was nice to see Bayonetta3 and more of Splatoon3.
Both were already solidly on my day one list already anyhow.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

After unsatisfactory dealings with Microsoft, I needed this good belly laugh. Wow.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Yeah I can’t believe that lineup. Can’t really go wrong, it’s either going to be genuinely great or so spectacularly terrible it’ll be hilarious.

Can’t get Metroid Dread today as there’s simply no opportunity with work… not happy. Seems to be reviewing really well, I’m trying to avoid spoilers though so haven’t watched much.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Started Dread this morning.

This game has been a long time coming. Have only read the Eurogamer review, they scored it "Essential".
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Buying my first Nintendo product since Gamecube - a Nintendo Switch for my son's 7th birthday. He's delved deep into Pokemon this year. Feel free to suggest some good games for him. :up:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

IMO Switch is their best console/platform since SNES.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Good job Pep on buying one for your son, he’ll love it, just as I’m sure you would too:)

Besides Pokémon, Animal Crossing New Horizons, Zelda BOTW, Super Mario Odyssey are all pretty good and not that difficult.

Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Candy Arse wrote: 08 Oct 2021 03:44 pm IMO Switch is their best console/platform since SNES.
Truth.

You did good Pepp. Despite it being underpowered, and showing its age, It's an amazing machine. My PC-snob gaming adult kids have nothing but love and respect for Nintendo and recognize quality game design based out of a strong Nintendo childhood. I have a feeling my eldest will either pick up Pokemon Diamond/Pearl and play it on my switch, or get his own. Big nostalgia kick for him, as that was his first Pokemon game.
This year and last year have been a little quiet, but prior to that, Nintendo were kicking goal after goal. And next year looks amazing.

For kids (and adults), I'd recommend the following: Super Mario Odyssey, Luigi Mansion 3, Pokemon Sword/Shield, Super Mario 3D Allstars, Super Mario 3D World+Bowsers Fury, Splatoon 2, Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Rocket League, and recently Cruis'n Blast, and maybe Mario Golf.

More adulty (but probably still fine for kids): Pokemon Unite (MOBA's aren't really for kids, but if he's got thick skin and can handle L), Zelda Breath of the Wild, Dead Cells, Fire Emblem Three Houses. Errrr, maybe not for kids the next few: Bayonetta 2, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, and Shin Megami Tensai V is coming in December.

It's also a solid hybrid platform for cast iron classics: Lumines, Mr Driller, Worms, Space Harrier Pinball FX, Street Fighter Anniversary Collection, Out Run, Tetris. (and the NES/SNES online things).
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. My just 4 year old has very recently started to show a keen gaming interest too so I suspect he'll want in on the Switch as well.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Golf Story is $10 at the moment, and is a fantastic game even if you don't like golf that much.
klee123

Post by klee123 »

Been playing Dread too and have been enjoying it a lot so far.
emptyvessel
XBL ID: emptyvessel79
PSN ID: emptyvessel79
Steam ID: emptyvessel

Post by emptyvessel »

Pep - we got my almost 8 year old a Switch for his 7th birthday last year, he had been playing Pokémon games on my 3DS and was ready for the next step.

Beyond the games already mentioned, consider Minecraft. My eldest has spent hours in creative mode and has produced some pretty awesome stuff. It also set him up to understand console FPS controls.

I’ll graduate them onto a PC eventually to get used to mouse and keyboard but Minecraft on switch definitely got him used to movement in 3D space.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Update. So we've flipped and will get the 7 year old a new bike for this bday this month. We'll hold the console over to Christmas where it can be a joint offering for both the 7 and 4 year old.

Question for parents. Would Switch or XBox be better given I'm dialled into the XBox ecosystem and Game Pass on PC?

Thanks for all the Switch game suggestions.
Mavy
XBL ID: Mavy
PSN ID: iwantalogin

Post by Mavy »

So Nintendo want to charge double the price for switch online to get n64 and mega drive games. I was expecting an extra $5-10 not $30. Ridiculous.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

It's not much of a jump if you're sharing a family account with others, but I'm not going to suggest it to the group. If the rest want to get it I'll pay the extra and hit up Dr Mario. N64 just doesn't have enough appeal to me, though admittedly I wouldn't mind playing Majora's Mask somewhere down the line.

Pepp: If you end up getting a Switch, don't overlook the eShop. I checked recently and I'm closing in on 100 games on my Switch and have spent less than $400 on eShop cards since launch. Obviously they're not all Mario Odyssey tier experiences but that's about 94 more games than you'd get dropping $400 at retail, and there are some great titles out there.
emptyvessel
XBL ID: emptyvessel79
PSN ID: emptyvessel79
Steam ID: emptyvessel

Post by emptyvessel »

Pep - Switch 100%. If for nothing else than the fact you can play it in handheld mode. Don’t underestimate the ability to free up a TV but still be able to keep the kid occupied with games.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

pilonv1
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

FUCK
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Looks like we might be upgrading the Nintendo account after all, I didn't realise how many Animal Crossing fans were in the group. :lol:

Picked up Dread even though I probably won't get a chance to play it for a little while. Figured I can get it now at JB prices or it'll just be RRP forever after that. I think I'll be hitting this up on the big screen with headphones and the lights out. :up:
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Easily my most anticipated title for 2021. Hype as. Cannot wait.
RIGHTEOUS FURY
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Never played the other titles in the series however I’ve played plenty of Persona games. I will look into this!