Official Nintendo Switch thread: Rocco free zone.

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Re: JASPER'S WORST NIGHTMARE! SWITCH HACKED WIDE OPEN!!!!!!

Post by Candy Arse »

Picked up DKC Tropical Freeze on Switch. A fantastic upgrade over the Wii U version. It's really just a bump from 720p to 1080p but the difference is pronounced and the game itself is still absolutely 5 stars.

I also grabbed The Way Remastered on Switch - love this game, love anything that reminds me of Flashback and Switch is the perfect platform for games like this.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

I don't mind nintendo system being hacked. It's all because a long time ago they region locked things and this is karma.

I personally won't use any of the hacks but I see it as the poor guy being able to take the technology and do something creative with it like the days of the commodore 64 when anyone could make decent games and there were no greedy guys holding you back. The 80s was the time of gaming being very diverse and different as EA hadn't become powerful enough to own everyone's souls yet. I think nintendo needs to embrace the freedom a bit by letting the hackers set a trend and then they try to copy everything they do by doing official versions of things they create. Much like Bethesda looking to make official versions of mods to see if they can make a buck from other people's work. Instead of worrying about others stealing things from you, you just have to out-steal them like the hackers in 80s and 90s science fiction movies. (eg John Conner using an atari to hack an ATM in Terminator 2 because his parents were too poor to buy him name brand clothes) It's about bringing balance back to the force. Corporation steal off each other all the time by cloning ideas because they were trained by Cobra Kai in "no mercy". Just be "no mercy" back and everyone can be happy like all the creators of the tetris and doom clones.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Rocco will be pleased, just put in an order for a Nintendo switch with Zelda/Mario Odyssey/Mario Kart/Bayonetta. Should arrive from amazon next week. Looking forward to it.

God of Dad showed me I could be a better father, so I bought one. :P
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Don’t forget to post your friends code, even though we cannot send each other messages or anything...
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Rocco mode engaged!

SWITCH GETS MONSTER HUNTER!!!!!

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HUNT ANYWHERE. HUNT ANY WAY. HUNT ULTIMATE. Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate is coming to #NintendoSwitch on August 28!

Trailer
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Yay! Really though it was a no-brainer. Capcom need money. Fans need games. And Switch is the portable that makes playing this bearable. (much chunky controllers - one of many factors for why people avoided MH because handheld make people's hand cramp up. Plus the better screen res has to count for something here too.)

Love the superman music in monster hunter. Makes ordinary people seem so heroic.
Also I think it's time to get Peter Cullen to voice act monsters. After learning that he did the voice of the predator I am shocked. I thought that was a recording of a bird or something. They have something that sounds similar to the PRedator in australia don't they?
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

lestat wrote:Rocco will be pleased, just put in an order for a Nintendo switch with Zelda/Mario Odyssey/Mario Kart/Bayonetta. Should arrive from amazon next week. Looking forward to it.

God of Dad showed me I could be a better father, so I bought one. :P
Hugely irresponsible parenting. Their chances of becoming nintards have increased exponentially.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Got my switch last night, first order of business was installing the tempered glass screen protector, I found out after ordering that the switch's screen is plastic? For some reason I assumed it was glass, you know like every smartphone/tablet on the market.

The system definitely has a nice feel to it, feels sturdy and well built, my unit doesn't have any backlight bleed or issues with the screen, looks like a decent IPS display. I like the use of usb C, don't like the design of the dock, all it simply needs to do is effectively plug in a USB-C cable, the way you slide it in and harshness of the rubber inside means it's going to rub/wear the system over time.

The OS is simple, elegant in a way but man is it barren when it comes to features and connectivity. It wouldn't even let me create a nintendo account on the device, I had to use another "smart" device to do it, I guess the lack of chat/message/friends/browser etc is already known. I certainly hope Nintendo have reserved system resources for those features in future firmware updates.

Still waiting on my 256GB sdcard to arrive, the built in storage is limited, after installing bayonetta i had 16GB left, so yeah definitely need a card.

In terms of gaming experience, it feels like a Vita++, visuals are very nice for a portable, blown up on a big TV you start to see the limitations of the system, it kinda sits in between last gen and current gen consoles.

Zelda is pretty nice, it's a slow start so the game hasn't fully opened up for me yet, but I like the interaction and physics, it has this nice grounded feeling and weight to it that helps with immersion, it's been a while since I've played on a Nintendo system I keep getting my x/y/a/b buttons mixed up, lol. It's also a bit weird having triggers that are just buttons not analogue?

I'm not sure how much I'll use the system on a TV, it seems more adept to being a portable gaming system, when you have a PC/XOX/PS4Pro pumping out 4k, the switch looks like the ugly step child in the bunch. But I love being able to play 360 like games on the go, I spend a lot of time commuting every day and I think the power of the system is being able to convert idle/dead time into gaming time on the go. Another guy I work with has young kids, doesn't get much game time at home so the switch for him has allowed him to enjoy more gaming time while commuting.

The kids will probably use the system docked, I feel it's a bit too big and expensive for kids to use as a portable, they'll get to enjoy it on a TV and they can drop the far cheaper wireless controllers, yes they still bloody do it!

This is where I think Nintendo has scope to produce a switch lite system tailored more to the 3DS kids portable market.

It's an impressive system, I definitely feel I'll get good use out of it more so than previous Nintendo home consoles, which is why I've generally offloaded them after a while.

Note: I've removed the mii code from custom profiles and added a Friend Code field, so people can add their codes to their profile.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

What I'd like to see from switch in future:
port of elder scrolls morrowind
port of elder scrolls oblivion

ports of old 360 games that were popular (why is capcom not porting street fighter 4 ultra to switch?)

Its time nintendo took advantage of genre popular in the western regions as it did good enough for people who owned xbox and ps3 to want to see portable versions of their fave old games. It has potential to be a good retro gaming system for fans of the older games from the past gen. Just like you see HD remake of crash bandicoot or Dark Souls I think there are many other titles that can do well in portable machine. Especially arcadey games which is perfect for the limited battery life of the portable.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Apparently firmware 5.x and up will be a little more hassle to hack, so I popped down the shops and picked up my second Switch.
And the next hardware revision will be fixed from hack completely (for a while probably).
Firmware 4.1.0. Winner! :D
RIGHTEOUS FURY
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

I was under the impression that the boot hack allowed you to load anything you wanted, so rolling back firmwares would be eventually possible. Besides it looks like firmware versions haven't impeded team xecuter, their switch sx tool works on any firmware version, uses a usb boot dongle and then emulates the game carts running from sdcard.

I think nintendo have a dreamcast situation here where they'll just have to live with a bunch of systems out there that are exploitable.

I expect nintendo to eventually release a future iteration of the switch with better battery life and portability, this one I have will be my homebrew system if I bother to do it. I do find the battery life a bit lacking, the demanding games get you around 2-2.5hrs of play time, which is enough to get me through the day but I worry about the degradation of the battery over time having to do so many charge cycles. Luckily I've seen via youtube that it's not too difficult to replace the battery inside the unit, thankfully Nintendo didn't pull an apple and make it it a prick to replace.

More time with the games, Mario Kart 8 docked looks really nice, the boost in resolution/filtering makes a nice difference to it. Kids had a great time with it, Mario Odyssey is amazing, truly a masterpiece although I'll have to agree with others in that the forced motion controls to do some moves is just arse. Everything else about the game though is perfect, love the mix of old 2d and 3d parts, Cappy breaths some interesting play styles and puzzles to make each level feel fresh and unique, fun boss battles. Looks pretty nice too on the big screen, pretty solid 60fps framerate except new bonk city does bring some frame drops.

I haven't felt this much love for a Nintendo system since the SNES. :up:
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

I must admit, I haven't had time for much reading on the topic, but from what I've seen, anything below FW5 is preferred because of the software exploits pre 5.
Anything 5+ may require recovery mode boot every time.
Then again, at the rate they're busting this thing open, any current model hardware is probably going to be fine given time.

I'm not fussed about piracy so I won't be having to play cat and mouse on hack patches every time a new game comes out. Couldn't be bothered.
Once I get all the emulation and media capability that I want up and running I'll be sweet.

lestat, or anyone know good sties for reading up on this stuff? I usually go to GBATemp forums, but it's all so horribly organized, and old outdated info sits unmarked along the current stuff.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

There is a good reddit with the latest info.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SwitchHaxing/

Latest news is you can get banned online.

So looks like if you do mod, you pretty much have to severe yourself from all online services.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Yeah, I'm completely ok with that. Hence the second Switch. One legit clean one. One to do with as I please.
Nintendo have a quality product here. They deserve my legitimate custom. Then again, I think I've owned every Nintendo platform with the exception of Virtual Boy and the original NES.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

It will be interesting to see what the homebrew stuff offers, I'm hoping the emulators will bring the prices down of repackaged roms on the store. It's a rip asking $10+ for an old rom. Already I can see the store is overrun with indies vying for a piece of the action, something has gotta give on that front.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Finished off Mario Odyssey, I haven't played a Mario game in a long time and it was a very enjoyable and interesting experience, the game is very well built and definitely top of the genre.

Been plugging through Zelda, I have mixed thoughts on it at the moment, I am enjoying it but I can feel the repetition setting in, the story is a bit meh and the combat inventory clunk and weapons that break almost immediately is just annoying. The weapon durability is just overboard, you find cool weapons but you know the minute you start using it, it will break and be gone forever, it's a bit pointless hunting/spending for better weapons, you will be mostly using weapons dropped by mobs you fight. Investing time into better armor is more worthwhile since it never degrades and offers permanent boosts.

Enemy balance is all over the place, it's hard to gauge if you should take on certain foes, I've leveled up my hearts to 10, got some good armor now and most encounters feel easy, guardians are still an issue for my current gear. Side quests and rewards are largely boring, I do enjoy the fact you can go anywhere and there are lots of little puzzles to solve all over the place.

Right now I'm just focusing on getting 3 more hearts so I can get the master sword, then focus on the rest of the divine beasts. Those encounters are pretty cool.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Pokemon Let's Go Eevee and Let's Go Pikachu announced for Nov 19th.
FEATURES

Pokémo Go like catching
Gen 1 remakes
Eevee and Pikachu customization
No random battles
Local co-op
Pokéball Plus device announced ($50)
Pokemon quest for switch now also available for free.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Grab your Nintendo Switch and get ready for a new adventure! With Pokémon to befriend and hidden treasures to uncover, #PokemonQuest is a brand-new land for you to explore!
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

Was keen until I saw that it seems to be quite intertwined with Pokémon GO.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

You don't play pokemon go?
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

Not since people were filling gyms with Blisseys and all the GPS spoofers.. which.. were all on my team.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Man the busted arse weapon durability is really sucking the fun out of zelda for me.

I'm about to go for the master sword, but I've found there is no fun/excitement in opening chests, you just get a weapon that is like a disposable razor blade.

Totally agree with this article. Why Nintendo why??!!
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/ ... ience.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I love the puzzles and exploration, it's the same with assassins creed origins, the ability to climb and go anywhere is such an immersive feeling. I'm playing God of War in between zelda and it becomes so immediately jarring the invisible walls everywhere in GoW. Combat is leagues better though in GoW as is presentation and acting(Christopher Judge 4 life! :rock:). Surprising how so many of the cutscenes and voice acting feel so low budget, well what little voice acting there is, it's mostly just text bubbles.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

The key to that is just let there be one slot free and only use that empty slot to pick up garbage enemy weapons after you stealth kill them. (use only garbage weapon on garbage enemy) Then use magic, (free) then grab a new weapon from the dead enemy and so forth.
You can increase the amount of slots so you can stock more but these restrictions teach you what is worth keeping and leaving on the floor. (same idea in old resident evil or diablo where you must not treat all loot equally)

Like when Halo 1 came out it started the whole trend of only being allowed to hold 2 weapons so you could swap out the weapon immediately to create combos. But if you used up too much ammo by spamming enemies with valuable shots and wasted good weapon on them then you had to walk all the way back to where you left a good dropped weapon, pick it up, and walk back again to the point you were up to. It created this sense that if you did not kill enemy very efficiently (eg hiding behind them to one shot them) then you had to play slowly and carefully. Halo 2 did away with that by giving you lots of ammo and went the Call of Duty route of placing shit all over the ground so you could progress faster and it used much smaller levels which are more cramped and feel less epic as set pieces. (halo 3 corrected this by giving us huge areas to fuck around in again which is what made halo 1 memorable as an experience)

To me BOTW is what Halo 1 was to halo series. It forces you to act more like a ninja (pick up anything in the environment to use to your advantage rather than travel heavy) and only face encounters you think are necessary to survive but not be an action hero. You could fast travel, memorise where a good weapon was by marking it on the map, and when the weapons you carry are used up, go back to that spot to find the weapon lying there for you to refill the slot again. And when a blood moon occurs the enemies respawn again for you to leech new crappy weapons from them if you were careless.

I know it's not fun to modern gamer (ADHD types who want instant gratification) who are used to action games, but it's realistic to me because a single person against so many enemies can be too much. Sometime you just want to skip fighting and sneak kill enemies without waking up the whole camp. Old far cry games were like that. (snipers could be terrifying and after you kill one, you feel a sense of relief from the suspense of them seeing you in the tower and alerting all the soldiers to where to find you) Danger is what makes it adventurous. God of War has to have deep combat since it is an action title and these games have evolved. Would love to see deeper combat systems in a zelda title with open world though. Nintendo should watch what sony is doing right and try to improve. The older audience in their 30s is where they need to focus on more. Have two lines of zelda: one which follows the old formula (epic story and memorable characters) and the newer ones which focus on open world freedom. (exploration and survival sim being the primary focus and creativity in how you use the laws to get what you need being the reason to replay it in different ways - advantage of open world genre is being able to accomplish things in different ways that you never think about the first time. The emergent behavior can create funny situations you don't expect but which makes you think up new ideas which keeps you from getting bored)
4K zelda game should be a project they start working on for next gen. BOTW being the demo.
Would love to see Sega make a phantasy star game that is an action rpg like zelda BOTW but with combat that is stat based. You can explore a bunch of planets and like elder scrolls choose the class and race and look of the character and each planet is unique but it's primarily single player title. You gain knowledge the more you explore but everything is mystery so it isn't easy to traverse the environments until you are tough enough to survive the various monster attacks in those regions you want to explore for loot. No information appears about them so you are all alone by yourself with nothing holding your hand. You log things down as you get to the location and go underground to map out dungeons. (very scary like dragon's dogma lighting)
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

:run: Rocco :run:
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

https://www.vooks.net/bargain-alert-ama ... 3ds-goods/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't know how many bargains left but worth a look on Amazon in their 2 for 1 games/acccessories.

I picked up a second charger and charge grip for $34 posted :up: fucking A. Had been eyeing off the charger to keep in my bag as it was $29 but couldn't justify postage on top as it would make it close to regular price. But with the charge grip combined it qualified for free postage, then discounted down to the charge grip price only at $34, can totally do a charge grip for essentially $5 :D