Official Nintendo Switch thread: Rocco free zone.

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Re: The Official Nintendo Switch Thread

Post by guttermouth »

Nintendo share prices drop after switch conference....

Mario looks amazing....
And Zelda on looks so much cleaner on the switch....but 600 bucks more, happy to play it on my Wii U.
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

I thought it was great actually! Zelda and Mario alone were enough to get me onboard. $469 isn't that much higher than the USA price (after currency conversion). I honestly felt like a kid again when Mario jumped through the sewer grate! So excited for a new Mario game!
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Twiztid Elf wrote:That was very disappointing.
I'll still be there on day one for Zelda, but I don't hold out much hope for this thing to catch on and be successful at all.

Paid online? On a Nintendo console? To play Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart? It better not cost much.
And that Australian price? + Zelda + Pro Controller = $600 or more.

And shit battery life. 2 hours? I won't be playing that on the train then.
I thought it was 3-6 hours on the official stream thing? (depends on the game)

I hope nintendo has some kind of reserve battery as backup for those long trips which you can get. In most macas they let you charge your phones using thier power socket and stuff for people using wifi. It shouldn't be too bad. Didn't the vita have same problem too?

I would love to see a sequel to Lego City. I liked that game. But to be honest with you it would probably suffer competing with zelda. They need to spread out the releases and not make the mistake of releasing too much at once like EA did with titanfall 2 and battlefield together (two very similar games). And during a time when COD is also out.

The console market is getting more competitive and this is causing Tim Sweeney to claim console space is doomed.
I don't believe this. It's just gamers are getting poorer so they take longer to save up.

Nintendo is right to delay games like zelda until they are done. This goes counter to many third parties which just want to rush everything out, wait for everyone to encounter bugs, and then make us download 40 patches before we can start a game. It's getting to a point where people just wait for the GOTY edition out of paranoia that the games suck until they go half price and millions of other guys have tasted the poison first.

What japanese companies represent to me are quality conscious produces of entertainment where stability matters and you never fear that you are being ripped off all the time. You can't get that from consoles anymore except nintendo ones. We want polish like blizzard games. It is slowly making people cautious now to not buy until it goes into bargain bin.
People are losing confidence due to anti-consumer practices. eg bethesda banning people from review before release making it hard to tell if a game is shit or good. It introduces risk. Nintendo once again has to save the games industry like they did when ET caused the game industry to crash.

Edit:

please give us a port of Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 and MvC Infinite. Don't be a fucking dickhead capcom. This portable device is perfect for tournaments in your local neighborhood. (ie everyone meets in the park every week or after school/work each day and plays against each other atari lynx style. No hacks like the pc version so it is impossible for people like Candy to cheat) Like Pokmon Go everyone will get some vitamin D and maybe find a dead body under a bridge if the game goes on portable.

Also I think online gaming should be kept free and nintendo offer a paid online where you can get access to play any games you want so long as you are subscribed.
Copy sony's thing where you make it easy for people to play any title they wish by subscribing to a service.
The casuals can sample anything they wish and get a feel for what types of games they like before deciding whether to go out and buy and own it forever. But they can play any game they see their own mates at school play so for them it becomes a social gaming thing that are into more than a "playing for the game itself" thing.

I figured out there are two types of gamers:

1. ones that buy the game to play the game itself.
2. social gaming where you play a game online with mates simply because you were recommended it by your circle of friends and play just for social reasons more than because you were a big fan of the gmae in particular.

You want to sell the online subscribtion thing to the type 2 gamer who plays for social activity reasons. These guy might be only casual gamers on a tight budget and can't afford to buy every game on the market. So they prefer subscribing to a service and can just play whatever others are into. This lets them be flexible in who they can hang out with online. They might prefer to jump from title to title rather than stick to one game and be dedicated to that one thing.

Anyway nintendo think about it.

example of a social game:

I play minecraft only when my nephew logs online and wants me to help him build stuff.
example of a game you play for the fun of the game alone: monster hunter. (regardless of whether anyone is online)

Some people only play games for the social portion. Others play for competitive reason (e-sport) or just because they get joy from that game particularly.
By keeping online gaming free you ensure the community is always full. More people online = better online experience because there are more to play with. My brother is obsessed with mario kart 8 but I doubt he would play it online if he had to pay to go online.

Nintendo need to think about flexible options for people on various budgets. One of the reasons Mario Run failed is because phone gamers are povo cunts. But I think these are the guys that would love a "gaming as a service" option on the switch where they can play (but not own) anything they wish online as long as they are subbscribed.
It makes gaming affordable to casual gamers who only play what other friends own at school, and since thee guys outnumber hardcore gamers there is a lot of potential here to profit from this type of payment system.

Me? I have always been a fan of the idea that if you bought the game full at retail, you paid for the online component at least as long as they can keep server up. (like existing monster huntwer games where there is tiny team of four people and not a MMO experience) But for those who just want to play games to play online with mates they would be better just subscribing to a service. (so they can hop from title to title easily if the online community dies out in a particular game)
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Another thing:

no more region coding. About bloody time.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Gutted on the battery life and price :-( guess I'll be getting down the track in a decent bundle. Looks pretty cool otherwise, pity it's not a great deal more than a portable wiiu at this point though. Will be there day 1 at my mates place to give it a crack though for sure. :up:
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

Zelda releasing same date on Wii U as Switch?
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

No streetpass and miiverse. This is ridiculous. I really enjoyed the miiverse community, didn't use streetpass but I now people who have.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by guttermouth »

So the free nes/Snes games you get each month with your online subscription......you don't get to keep, they are only playable free for that month.
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

guttermouth wrote:So the free nes/Snes games you get each month with your online subscription......you don't get to keep, they are only playable free for that month.
To be fair, you do have the option of buying those games. But yes, it is an odd(ly) Nintendo practice.
MiNiStRy
Occasionally Overlooks Gravity.
XBL ID: MiNiStRyS
PSN ID: MiNiStRy
Steam ID: MiNiStRyS

Post by MiNiStRy »

Well it's gone from day one to maybe a year or so. IMO very overpriced for what it is and really lacking any must haves on release.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

They know people will buy it just because it's a new gadget on the market. Then resell it to make a profit for al the desperate people who didn't preorder.

This is like the next edition of a 3DS with a giant screen.

At least throw in Mario Maker 2 for free as a pack in game. Allow us to have 16 players in a level at once. Since everyone has their own screen now, you can have different people within a giant level at different spots in the level at once. No problem of one guy getting too far ahead and pushing the lagging partner forward by force.

If there are two paths in a level, the first guy can take the upper path while the other guy goes into the lower path and they meet up again. Playing together online in co-op may make the experience more fun. Eg you fall off a cliff but instead of dying you get taken to a spot that show more secrets at the bottom the other player missed. When you die you don't start at a checkpoint but respawn where you left off. Levels are massive so all 16 players can branch off into different directions and find different things nobody else saw before. (entering a warp gate deliver procedurally generated running minigame for extra lives)
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

The specs reveal is going to be interesting for this.

Lots of people are skeptical about this things power/capabilities.
nintendo will make their games 60fps by making the graphics cartoony. Third party games will settle for 30fps I predict.

If you have realistic setting it is ok to make it jerky to capture the realistic world feel. I think nintendo should do a n64-style upgrade thing where you cna up the specs using expansion port or something like that.

We can all agree nintendo online sub system is lame. lol

Do free online.

But make money creating a "games as a service" business model for the casual gamers that play lots of games but who don't want to own them (and plan to sell off their console off to buy the next best things around the corner)
This lets indie game companies get exposure where normally they would get ignored if nobody heard about them.
Mavy
XBL ID: Mavy
PSN ID: iwantalogin

Post by Mavy »

I think the expectation was that Nintendo would have learned from it's mistakes over the last decade. Seems as though they lost touch.

Nintendo should have took this as an opportunity to reset themselves and just release a powerful traditional console and focused on the games. The gimmicks are getting tiring.

The power of the console is really hard to gauge. It looks no more powerful than the WiiU or possibly even less. Super Mario looked like a game from a generation ago.

Zelda on the WiiU I think.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by guttermouth »

Just WOW that launch line up.....

guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by guttermouth »

But, Fuck it looks so good...
Yoshi Sonic

Post by Yoshi Sonic »

Day one. I showed my 4yo son last month and he wants it for his birthday. Fine choice son I reckoned.

I ordered a Neon one, Zelda, pro controller and a case. Should really get a WiiU copy of Zelda as well, considering that will be the collectable version.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Mavy wrote:I think the expectation was that Nintendo would have learned from it's mistakes over the last decade. Seems as though they lost touch.

Nintendo should have took this as an opportunity to reset themselves and just release a powerful traditional console and focused on the games. The gimmicks are getting tiring.

The power of the console is really hard to gauge. It looks no more powerful than the WiiU or possibly even less. Super Mario looked like a game from a generation ago.

Zelda on the WiiU I think.
It can do unreal engine 4 at medium settings I hear. They need a demo so everyone can see it on switch and guage it's power.

We have reached a point where games are getting too expensive to produce and if the games sell like shit, the company that made it dies off.

What a underpowered machine can do is sit in a sweet spot between being affordable to fans of the nintendo games, (where they never emphasise graphics) and still do third party stuff if the game is a high selling franchise. (eg when need for speed most wnated came out for wii u before EA stopped support for the machine)
The japanese games all seem to be ok on console. Persona 5 being one example which is a ps3 title. Do the poor guys really need to buy a high end console just to play these games? No. So that's where nintendo come in. The hardcore gamer who isn't as much into graphics but values the game underneath. Games like Demon Souls, Bloodbourne, Street Fighter 5 all have pretty middle of the road visuals. The gameplay is where the value comes from. When the next monster hunter game comes out, I don't think fans are going to care which system it is one. But they will just go with whatever platform has it because they are fans.
The same logic applies to things like Overwatch. There are hardcore gamers that really just play the game and can see the gameplay and it's this type of game that nintendo neds. If this thing was too powerful the battery life would drain too much and it stops being practical to use on the go.

The vita although superior to 3DS still didn't take off, and this is due to the library of titles. We got to be careful not to assume that just because they CAN do something that it will be the silver bullet that solves everything.
Xbox = most powerful machine over ps2 and gamecube and dreamcast. Still failed
Vita better than 3DS = still failed
SNES = managed to have better graphics and sound than megadrive but Sega made up for it with high quality software (ie pretty much all the treasure games, and platformers like Sonic and any shmups)

It's been said before: we don't watch games we play them. That is not to say nintendo can't make a powerful system, but if scorpio already does that and you already love it, why should nintendo follow when they have always tried to capture family audience more and not the yuppie? Does mario need to be in 4K? I'm not sure that is important for a portable gaming system just yet. They tried to go with high spec with gamecube but Sony still beat them with ps2.
Nobody can predict the future.

If you have the best tech specs, you are going to cost more and family (let's be honest here kids rely on mum and dad to buy them shit) will be unable to buy it. If you make it too underpowered you piss off the third parties. There has to be some kind of middle ground where smaller developers can still make average looking games that play like gold, while not scaring away the big publishers that seem to want to focus on technical details to make their games look the most advanced compared to the competitor's games on the market.

You can't have your cake and eat it. Nintendo sells games that pretty much look good enough in 720P and they can get away with that. (mario kart 8 looks great and despite being low def people don't have a beef with the lack of details) But for companies that make realistic shit, they won't get away with it because they already went with a certain look to the titles that people expect now. Who is more important? The family or the guy who only plays realistic shit? The realistic shit already appears on the other machines. Nintendo would just be doubling the labor of software developers who could be better used to work on the next titles not ports. . I want fresh games not hand-me-downs.
I think regardless of whether the system specs are low, if a machine has massive userbase (lets assume the Switch sells like crazy) the third parties will come just out of greed alone.

Wii U had low userbase so very little third party support later in its lifespan. That's just business and it has nothing to do with how you feel about power. The ps2 is proof of this. (beat Xbox and Gamecube because it had a high userbase already. To me the value of a game is in the joy you get playing the games not just graphics.
If Wii U had amazing specs would it replace Sony and MS? No. You would still play on those platforms as you developed an attachment to the exclusives. Nintendo can't allow itself to be co-dependent on third parties to lift the system up. It's more like support. We buy console for the stuff you don't get on the other system. Not because third parties port things to them. At least that is true for me. If you are that diehard a fan of some particular third party franchises, then you just buy whatever platform it appears on. (not because you love sony or MS so much because it has power lol)
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Vince wrote:
guttermouth wrote:So the free nes/Snes games you get each month with your online subscription......you don't get to keep, they are only playable free for that month.
To be fair, you do have the option of buying those games. But yes, it is an odd(ly) Nintendo practice.
To be fair, don't you have the option to buy those games now? It's an odd statement to make, I feel I'm missing something.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

This thing is DOA.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

They have been modified for online gameplay though. That means you could play something like Super Mario Kart online now. (official edition)

link time:

Switch presentation:
treehouse: (skip to 29:58 for start)
29:58 Stream start
44:11 ARMS
1:27:59 Switch Unboxing

Happy that Xenoblade 2 is a 2017 game.

Keep delaying and polishing those games nintendo. Don't rush anything out. The game industry is already overcrowded with HD remasters of old shit on ps4 and XB One. And give us HDD options like Wii U. (fast loading of big titles)

Most of the people who are not happy are those who only own 1 system. Remember this is replacing the 3DS pretty much as that is getting old and the software developers that would normally work on that handheld can now join up and merge with the home console software guys to increase total output of games on the system.

Anyway this to me is the least gimmicky machine nintendo have done. It has old gimmicky stuff in it true, but it merges it all together in a standard form so you can do everything you could from the previous machine on the one thing. Then it adds refinements like the haptic feedback shit. (so it's improved from last time)

You buying one Candy? Or you going to wait for the emulator like usual to play on pc so you can see princess zelda nude after modders butcher the game?

Now that we have elder scrolls on a nintendo switch the next shocking thing left is to put steam on the Switch. They need to get some pc games working on it. PC is too nerdy to play in the park with the cool kids. Don't want to get laughed at because the games control like crap and bugs cause the OS to crash thanks to poor testing.
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

Madmya wrote:
Vince wrote:
To be fair, don't you have the option to buy those games now? It's an odd statement to make, I feel I'm missing something.
You can buy those games now on wiiu/wii/3ds but you can them them, AGAIN, on Switch! I'm really hoping that the GameCube will get some games on the Switch. A few classic Cube games at launch (thinking Metroid Prime and Mario Sunshine) would be a huge boost to the launch lineup.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Absolutely I'm buying one, maybe not at launch with that stupid pricing.

I'll get Zelda on Wii U and wait for the Switch fire sales. Won't take long.

Can I also just say - a new Bomberman fuck YES
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Also a new version of Street Fighter II Super Turbo HD! Name "Ultra Street Fighter II"

Added characters! Super Turbo = the most balanced of all the street fighter II family of SF games.

It makes a lot of sense since wii u never got this ported.

Also wouldn't mind capcom do Ultra SF4 to Switch as well. Would make the perfect portable game imo. (probably won't feel good on a analogue stick though.. :P

One thing I would suggest to capcom is see if they can give us a port of SFIII Third Strike.

edit: Only thing I can't stand about the SF "Super" games were how they toned down the sound effects a lot and they sound far less bone crunching compared to the older street fighter II games. ST HD made them even worse than the original.

Give us an option to change the sound effects to "classic SF II" sound effects please.
And give us an option to turn on blood spurts.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Candy Arse wrote:This thing is DOA.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Here is my suggestion to capcom of what to do with Street Fighter III when it comes to the Switch one day with HD graphics and 3d Celshaded models made to look like the old sprites:

copy what the Guilty Gear Xrd guys did but make your animations smooth instead of purposely jerky (what I call the low budget tv series animation).
^
Keep your game characters flat shaded. Fuck america's obsession with characters that look like cg toys killing each other and no details like blood spurts or dust, sweat, and cartoon expressions as we saw in dark stalkers which gave it personality and humour. Come back to the anime watcher crowd. Bring back the look of the Capcom vs SNK 2 sprites but in 3D models. (without sacrirficing smoothness of animation ie make it "full animation" not "limited animation". Only cheap tv series on tight budget is limited. Most animation which is full feature length goes for full animation in action scenes due to bigger budget.)

Cletus:
I'm not so sure. This could be the next 3DS. Bringing your switch to maccas to play a super smash bros tournament might be a common thing amoungst the cool kids. Stop being a depressing cunt. Remmeber the japanese love portables and live in shoeboxes. That's why MS can't win there. Nintendo knows what it is doing. It's just that they don't understand western tastes. (games in the west must be like film/movies now, not little kids tv shows or saturday morning cartoons only. That's why they need third party like capcom to balance out the library with darker titles - Resident Evil type survival horror stuff)

The way I see Switch is it really is just a portable system with the ability to connect to a tv more than a home console you can bring with you. If you call it a home console, it is competing with PS4 and Xbox. I don't see it as home console and this is more like oversized PS Vita with big screen. The ability to play something like monster hunter at home and then grind a few monsters on the public transport fits perfectly. Wii U didn't let you do this. (unless you transferred data between 3ds and wii u which was annoying. ) You see people walking around the street with tablets all the time. So the argument that it's too big to be portable is silly. Just because it doesn't fit into your pocket like gameboy doesn't mean it's too big. Going to a shopping mall, turning on switch and using the wifi to surf the web whle you drink some coffee will be common thing, but when you get bored you can also play games. It's like bringing arcade with you.

If they can listen to people more they'd survive outside japan better, but it's probably a pride thing. (they don't want to admit they are wrong about anything imo so they choose to learn the hard way)

Paying for online gaming is really going to make them struggle imo The whole appeal of Wii U for me was that it was free online. Lucky I'm mostly a single player guy these days..