Official Nintendo Switch thread: Rocco free zone.

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Re: Official Nintendo Switch thread: Rocco free zone.

Post by Twiztid Elf »

With all the excitement on so many fronts (including FH5), GOTY getting released tomorrow is not getting the attention it deserves.
Are you and me the only Ranchers getting goty flip?

flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Well I'm still undecided on it at the moment. I might cave in a little while though. I have watched several videos, reviews, etc, just a little concerned on portable mode performance . I believe what has been shown so far has been from docked mode.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Sorry for the bump. Bought and downloading at the moment. Trying it out on normal .

Twizted , how are you finding it?
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Hey. I saw you were playing it. And I was just talking about it with Chaos and Hercy.
It looks like complete arse. There is no sugar coating that.
But man, it's oldschool as hell. About 5 hours in, it sunk its teeth into me bigtime.
The story is barebones, but the combat and the demon collecting, management and skill assignment is unbelievably good.
People online all over the place bitching about how hard it is, but I'm 10 hours in now on normal, and I've only seen the game over screen 2-3 times.
As long as you're making good decisions and balance all the systems properly, its not that hard - well it isn't so far anyhow.

It's definitely in my personal GOTY running against Yakuza Like a Dragon and Guilty Gear Strive. We'll see...
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Last day for the Black Friday / Cyber Whatever sales on the eShop, there are some pretty good deals. So far I've picked up:

A Monster's Exhibition (Through Puzzling Exhibitions) - Brilliant, I couldn't put it down over the weekend and have already finished it. ~300 levels to go.
Astalon: Tears of the Earth - Played the crap out of the demo on Steam, I know I'm going to love this.
Batbarian: Testament of the Primordials - Really good so far.
Castlevania Advance Collection - No-brainer, $22.50 for three IGAvanias.

Tempted to grab Bonfire Peaks before the day's through... maybe the 2D Bloodstained games and Axiom Verge 2. Setting myself up for backlog hell.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Sorry for the bump, but I still can’t believe you can’t send a message to your friends on Switch.

Has anyone picked up the OLED Switch?

I would have, just have the regular launch Switch, but if they added some extra juice our ram to it I might have.

Reason is the Switch slows down if you’re updating a game in the background while playing a game. Load times are increased considerably and you can run into performance issues.

Having some dedicated hardware for it is a must, just like we have on consoles.

Now if you haven’t turned on your Switch for some time to you will have a bunch of games updating, so it’s a good idea to leave it docked until it’s done, or just leave it in sleep mode on the dock ( I’m sure most do this) .

Not into Pokémon but I new one is about to get released on the 28th of this month..
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Switch users, is your console slightly bent? I noticed ours didn't slide into the dock as easily as when we got it. I thought maybe the dock got squashed a bit when the family packed it to go away. The console is otherwise in a Switch case we bought for it. Looked at the console just now though and it's got a slight but noticeable bend to it. Dunno if that's how its constructed or if it actually warped over time.
Mavy
XBL ID: Mavy
PSN ID: iwantalogin

Post by Mavy »

Isn't that a common problem with them? I haven't turned mine on in over a year. I remember something about people reporting bending due to heat issues.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

I've since read they can bend if left in the dock for extended periods and there are lots of people on forums asking about their bent Switches. I've sent a support request to Nintendo for clarification.

To answer your question flip, I just went with the launch spec. The store I bought it from didn't have OLED units in and I figured the base unit fine given the kids will be the ones using it as a handheld. The screen looks ok to me, though I'm sure OLED is a big improvement.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Good thing about the latest model Switch is that they have a much better battery life than the launch model. As well as other improvements.

My launch model cracked at the top and a piece of plastic broke off which I have covered with electrical tape. This happened a few years ago. Still working fine.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Oh, well I bought one at Christmas so hopefully it comes with the the updated battery. I’ve actually been impressed with the battery life.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

It definitely will.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

My launch Switch lives in the dock on charge any time it's not in use, no sign of bending so far. I am on my second set of JoyCons but given how much I've played it that seems pretty in line with other consoles- I certainly had a better run than expected based off all of the stick drift complaints early on. Battery life varies a lot depending on what I'm playing, most 2D games get extra mileage and some really non-demanding stuff like Picross lasts forever.

It's entirely unexciting but one of the best "accessories" I bought for the Switch is a second AC adapter. Leave the dock plugged in, cables out of sight and out of mind, then have another for travel, or for when you're playing portable mode around the house and want to plough on when the battery's dying.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

I have no stick drift from my launch model switch.. but I am already on my second dual sense controller because of it.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Nintendo got back to me. Console should def not have a curve/bend. Back to the retailer. I bought a Switch Online family membership when I got it as Swtich Online is the only way users can utilise cloud saves. I checked save data just now and learned Pokemon Sword doesn't support cloud saves? It's literally the save data I was most concerned about backing up given the boy has ploughed dozens of hours already. Really enjoying the console otherwise. I was playing Animal Crossing New Horizons with my 4 year old today and enjoyed paying off our travel fee debt to old mate Tom Nook.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Is Zelda BOTW worth picking up for a PC gamer with an outrageous backlog? The trailers and character design look gorgeous.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

I have BOTW and Links Awakening on Switch. I've never started either of them :(
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Really enjoying the Switch experience. I did not expect Animal Crossing to grab me but here we are. While I bought AC so my four year old could potter about I'm now vested in his progression so sit with him and coach. Not a bad thing so long as I can resist the urge to take the controller from him and do it all. Nice hardware, online services and parental controls. Charging people for cloud saves sucks as does finding out two of the games you bought with the system don't support cloud saves. I've just put in a 512gb SD card so we can take adantage of digitial games. My neighbours got a Switch at xmas for their kids too and they tell me they've all fallen in love with Zelda BOTW so I will def pick it up.
Last edited by Peppermint Lounge on 03 Feb 2022 03:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

That’s great Pep. Glad you are you kids are enjoying it. Switch has a great catalog of games.

I’m still playing BOTW to this day. It was the first game I bought ( physical) and it hasn’t been removed since, but the rest of my games are digital. Very wise in getting a memory card. Switch games are so tiny to what we get on consoles. That card will last you forever.

I am subscribed to Nintendo Online too but for the cloud saves. It doesn’t cost that much per year and you get online play and classic Nintendo games.

I almost sound like Rocco!
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Looking at getting a Switch mid-year. Hopefully by then we see some decent OLED model bundles.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Peppermint Lounge
The End

I bought a Nintendo Online family pack + expansion @ $110. The expansion pack gives you a N64 emulator and some of N64's best games and the Animal Crossing Happy Home Paradise expansion among other things (Megadrive emulator and games I think). So some decent value-adds on top of the cloud save fee. Between that, the console and an arguably mandatory storage upgrade my initial Switch outlay came to $650 which puts it up there among XBox Series S and disc-less PS5.
Ambrose Burnside
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Grabbed Super Mario Odyssey and Lego Harry Potter Collection for my wife for her birthday.

Keen to play Mario.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

So, I've been considering getting a Switch for Tears of the Kingdom, but Nintendo still charge the same price as ever for them. So, I'm just going to try to remember two things:

1) This will probably be a launch title for the next Nintendo console, if history is a guide, and it'll be much better on that
2) emulation is a thing
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

I'll get Tears of The Kingdom when I finish Breath Of The Wild... and that might happen when I finish Xenoblade Chronicles 2.. I also have River City Girls 2 and Radiant Silvergun still to be shipped from LRG.. the list never ends..
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

So anyway, Tears of the Kingdom is pretty fun. Looks pretty good in 4K, too :up:
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars