Doom

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

flipswitch
que
que

Re: Doom

Post by flipswitch »

Downloading now on PC. Put my new card to use.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Where from? I got mine through GMG
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Youdontwanttoknow.com
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Very good price then, O Canada.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Not Canadian. I payed top dollar for it ( not EB).
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Got my copy from CDKeys for $55
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

I've had one crash to desktop (lost maybe a minute of progress) and seen the odd clipping issue (that didn't prevent progress).

For me anyway, it's been a remarkably solid game performance-wise. I do have a decent PC, but it's just been so fast and smooth the whole way so far. Hopefully we see this engine in more games like the old days for id.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

How's multiplayer, many people playing?
Ambrose Burnside

I've played a couple of games, seemed quick and easy to get into full games, but I'm hooked on SP now.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
flipswitch
que
que

Doom

Post by flipswitch »

:)

excuse the jpeg quality.

FOV 130.

What's the difference between full screen and borderless?
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

t0mby wrote:
Vince wrote:
Rorschach wrote:Nah, he is running a 980. Theory we have is it is something to do his overclocking software. I'm hoping because my setup is quite vanilla there will be no issues
I have a 980 as well. No over clock and Doom went straight to desk top twice. Just clicking the icon in my dashboard and the game was still there ready to play so no big deal. Other issue I had once was during my first play through. I left it on the screen just before you start a level for about 10 minutes (had to change my sons nappie and change his clothes). Came back to start level and game was stuck at 14 frames per second! Closed and opened game again and it was back to 60 frames per second.
Crashing to desktop? 14fps? Master Race indeed!
It happened again today after about 45 minutes of play. This time it closed the game completely. No doom on the dash. Apparently it's fairly common and I found a thread on Steam forums. In saying that, I've had it happen to me numerous times on my ps4 as well for no reason whatsoever.
Ambrose Burnside

Finished the campaign :up:

Didn't 100% it, didn't even try. That's for next time. But what a game! Final boss was a bitch, didn't really like it (excellent boss design though for the Doom fans!) but apart from that I loved every single moment.

Favourite monsters were the bog standard imps, so well animated the way they'd just parkour their way around the place, and so satisfying to glory kill when you got hold of them. Least favourite would be the summoners, for the way they'd teleport around, and the lost souls, annoying pricks.

Scariest monsters in terms of how much they fucked you up would be the pinky (love that the fan name they've had since Day One is now their official name :D), got caught in corners a few times with them, and the Baron of Hell. Big fucker.

So far my GOTY :up: An excellent remake/homage to the original classic, rather than a remake of Doom 3 (which is still good, but it's a horror game, which isn't Doom) :up:
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Doom 3 should be remade using this style of gameplay. Instead of using the torch to see where you are it's actually a blowtorch weapon to seal up doors by welding them shut like the colonial marines in aliens to help create barriers for the hordes of demons to restrict their movements.

Set up a sentry gun to buy time, get out bloworch to shut a door so you don't get ambushed, and when the sentry gun runs out of ammo it automatically self destructs and activates a bomb that clears up a whole room full of demons trying to get to you. (think of it like gauntlet when you have just enough health to only escape rater than explore)

When you find a rare demon you can take blowtorch to carve up the cyber demon body parts, use those pieces to craft add ons for your armor and get a stat buff based on the demon's powers. (if it was a fast demon you get slightly faster movment speed for example. If it could launch fireball you can launch one by commanding one to appear. If it teleports you can access this ability too) The spirit of the demon leaders which you killed still lives in your weapons and armor and grants you supernatural protection once you become it's master and you enslave it. This is the reward for klling one and they respect your fighting skill and aid you as they turn against their own masters who abused them and treated them like shit. Once the beasts are tamed, you turn evil against itself by adding demon spirits into your collection)

On repeat playthroughs of the game on "new game plus" mode*, you will start to see even rarer variants of the same demon type that might offer a slightly better stat boost if you can defeat them. So this way you can get more powerful over time and beat the harder settings more easily and stop being so scared of dying all the time. The game becomes less and less of a survival game and more of an action FPS where you hunt them for sport to collect demon trophy like the Predator aliens. lol Only instead of hunting humans you are a demon hunting psychopath that is addicted to killing stuff because you had a boring childhood and mom wouldn't let you play the original doom on the 486 and now have to show them violence can save the world if you deprive kids of fun stuff enough, so you are not angry afterall but grateful to them for stopping you from seeing violence as it actually made you into a bad arse as an adult who just wants to help people by preventing humans from death by killing stuff in real life to express your passion for fighting evil in creative ways like a sick minded serial murderer that engages in ritual killings as a hobby.

A map editor should also be included so people can make thier own levels or dungeons and share them for those who have played campaign to death and need a new challenge. (no need for DLC, just make sequel please)
Mario maker doesn't charge for community-made content so neither should new doom games. The game is expensive enough imo.

*the idea here is that a speed runner can plow through the demons like they were nothing to get the best time and post this to youtube by having the best gear to speed up the rate of fire of their guns, the effective range of the weapons, the damamge they can take, the damage of the weapon, and speed of the character so you stop being generic marine and turn into a demonically enhanced supersoldier that sprints through the entire game while killing stuff and never pausing much like arcadey action game. (Or metroid, if you wanted to see samus with less clothes if you could beat it in record time - but the doom version of this is that you might get to fight satan himself as a reward for doing it so quickly. Getting his horns and wearing them on your helmet puts you into demon "god" mode. Basically you are the ruler of hell now and demons want to suck your dick because they are your bitches. The reward is you get to see female demons on stripper poles as your ending and satanists all over earth are worshipping you as their new leader as they headbang to heavy metal remixes of old doom music)
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Installed this today. Not a single issue yet. Love the run and gun aspect of the gameplay. Real 90s vibe going on. Forgot how much I missed 90s gaming...
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Ambrose Burnside

Yeah, I had one crash to desktop in my entire playthrough (12 hours according to Steam, that's without hunting for every secret, though I found one or two each level just playing normally).

Still can't get over how fast and smooth it was. Hoping they do Quake next. A homage to the original, not Quake 2/4. Then Doom 2: Hell on Earth :up:
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Spoke to soon. Issues ahoy, Doom crashes in the same place (shortly after the first area were you acquire the blue key). Crashed twice and reset my PC. Very annoying. Hoping iD fixes this soon as they are generally much better than this :/
Megaman
a bad sheriff
XBL ID: megaman 2k7
PSN ID: mm2k8

Post by Megaman »

GameHED wrote:Doom 3 should be remade
No.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

This game is fucking amazing. It's like a great character-action game (DMC, Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden) but it's an FPS.

Brilliant. Hard to see this NOT being in top 5 for GOTY at worst.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

This game is so good, Hell is :shock:

My GOTY so far.
Ambrose Burnside

GameHED wrote:Doom 3 should be remade using this style of gameplay. Instead of using the torch to see where you are it's actually a blowtorch weapon to seal up doors by welding them shut like the colonial marines in aliens to help create barriers for the hordes of demons to restrict their movements.

Set up a sentry gun to buy time, get out bloworch to shut a door so you don't get ambushed, and when the sentry gun runs out of ammo it automatically self destructs and activates a bomb that clears up a whole room full of demons trying to get to you. (think of it like gauntlet when you have just enough health to only escape rater than explore)
I'll ignore the more batshit parts of your post there GameHED, but it sounds like you might be interested in something like this:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Why doesn't that trailer give me a 16fps option? I want old-school film presentation.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Candy Arse wrote:Where from? I got mine through GMG
How does GMG work exactly. Do you download through their client?
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Buy a game, they email you the Steam code.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

CDKeys are my new best friends. Basically Greenman but cheaper.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Managed to get this working (hopefully indefinitely). Starting to get more weapons now. Had chills when I picked up the assault rifle/nail gun for the first time, Quake-nostalgia much.