Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Doom

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Played my first game of Doom (the new one!) multiplayer. Team Deathmatch, first to 75 wins. My team started badly, and was behind all game, but we kept creeping closer and closer. I tended to follow a team mate around as I didn't know the map (and I never played the Beta). Suddenly the scoreline was 73-74 and they needed one more kill to win. Nek minnit I nail two in a row for the first time all game to steal a 75-74 win :D I got two awards, the one for most kill assists (I think I finished with 10) and one called Last Blood, which I am assuming is for getting the last kill and stealing the win for my team :D I finished outside the overall top 3, but a pretty good first game if I do say so myself :D KD ratio is something like 1.12 :lol:

I'm up to the second level of the single player campaign, the achievement for finishing the first level popped up ... And now it's not in my profile any more for some reason :( Achievement tracking, all the Steam stuff seems a bit glitchy :( You can see it's not in my recently played according to my signature for some reason too. I've also noticed the odd clipping issue here and there. Nothing that's prevented me from continuing.

Runs smooth as silk though :up:

More detailed impressions to come over the next couple of weeks. I have next week off work (having my wisdom teeth removed) so will be hitting this (and Warhammer: Total War) pretty hard :up:

:bow: Master Race :bow:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Re: Doom

Post by lestat »

Doom is amazing, this is one of the best shooters I have played in a long time. I miss detailed maps you can explore and secrets, due to the suit/weapon upgrade system there is a distinct advantage in seeking out secrets. The action is visceral and heart pumping, I've already had so many encounters where I feel overwhelmed and the Adrenalin kicks in, I love it, I couldn't imagine playing this on a controller, quite simply the game is too fast and hectic for it.

The framerate is very impressive here, it hasn't dropped a single frame the whole time on ultra(60fps), very smooth and optimised. The only issue I've seen and that's an idtech issue and that's the megatexture fade in/load. It's very obvious when you load a save game into a new area.

Why did console gaming take us here?

Great to be back! :up:

I haven't tried the multiplayer yet, I'm just focusing on the single player, I've been trying to 100% each level, taking my time and finding all the secrets.
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

I'm about 10 levels in. Absolutely loving it. I went back to try find all secrets in 1st level and found the secret level...! Amazing!
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Will be starting this game tonight. Quickly checked it out this morning. 1440p all settings Ultra, 60fps without a problem.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Bought this ahead of UC4, got it for $55 AUD. Steam wanted something crazy like $80 USD for it. Digital prices in Australia suck balls.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Ambrose Burnside

This is just so much fun. Coloured key cards, the chainsaw, berserker rage, fuck me I wish I was playing it now instead of getting ready for work :cry:

Found my first original Doom secret room last night and just lost it :lol: :nana:

I'm just playing, if I find secrets all good but in my first playthrough I'm not hunting for them specifically. That will be in my second playthrough :up:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

This game is fucking awesome. The soundtrack is the best gaming soundtrack since Mass Effect for mine.

It's great to have an "old school" run-and-gun shooter with complex maps but also with good use of modern trappings like the upgrades and even the collectible shit that is purely optional but for those who wish to read about the details behind a gun...well they're catered for as well.

Some good little bits of humour here too.

One thing - is there a way to make your enemies fight each other like the original games? I used to love setting it up so that they'd hit each other with friendly fire and then an all-in would occur :lol:
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

The single player of this sounds like a blast. Played the multiplayer beta and thought it was poo. Always had a feeling the single player was going to deliver. Will pick it up soon
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

Candy Arse wrote:This game is fucking awesome. The soundtrack is the best gaming soundtrack since Mass Effect for mine.

It's great to have an "old school" run-and-gun shooter with complex maps but also with good use of modern trappings like the upgrades and even the collectible shit that is purely optional but for those who wish to read about the details behind a gun...well they're catered for as well.

Some good little bits of humour here too.

One thing - is there a way to make your enemies fight each other like the original games? I used to love setting it up so that they'd hit each other with friendly fire and then an all-in would occur :lol:
Not sure if it's possible to make them fight each other by running them around, but I've come across all sorts of encounters where enemies are going nuts on each other! Saved me a tonne of ammo!
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Through a twist of circumstance and a dodgy payment system managed to get this for $45 online. A bit worried though, it keeps crashing on my friend's PC and he is running a beast of a machine. Hopefully ID patches it before I get back next week
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Love the new direction it has taken where instead of running from the demons and being hunted by them you are rushing forward to kill them with melee and then getting ammo if you use more gorey attacks.

I think the game needs to let you be able to command demons using brainjacking dart gun for stealthy build. If these are cyber demons it makes sense you could hack their spines and make them lose control over their mechanical bodies and then ordered to serve you. If you could actually use the shadows to hide and go into FPV of a demon you would get the abilities of that demon sort of like the castlevania games where you take their shit and obtain their skills once you fight enough of that type. Then pit the demon against others like the guy in 'Gamer' movie.
Like a drone you would only be able to control one at a time while hidden. Very useful if you are low on health on harder difficulty where you need to save ammo and if you want to scout ahead to trigger any traps which might kill you if you go in guns blazing.

Old games like this can't just be remade as pure remake of the original anymore. The genre has evolved a lot since the old days..
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Are you playing the superior PC version of Doom, GameHED?
Ambrose Burnside

I think I'm about halfway through now. Maybe a bit more than halfway. Got the BFG and it's awesome :up:

What a great reboot :up:
Ambrose Burnside

Jesus, that's a brutal ending to the level where you get the BFG:
Spoiler!
Starts with a long corridor, door at the end opens to a horde of zombies, pinkies come charging down the corridor, then about three rounds of locked-in area style combat with high level demons that ends in a one-on-one duel with a Baron of Hell.
Took me a few goes to get through it, mainly because at first I didn't notice:
Spoiler!
A couple (?) of rooms open up, containing health packs
I imagine that was just a taste of what's coming next :shock:
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Rorschach wrote:Through a twist of circumstance and a dodgy payment system managed to get this for $45 online. A bit worried though, it keeps crashing on my friend's PC and he is running a beast of a machine. Hopefully ID patches it before I get back next week
It's not an AMD is it? Read something the other day about it being unstable with AMD.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Nah, he is running a 980. Theory we have is it is something to do his overclocking software. I'm hoping because my setup is quite vanilla there will be no issues
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

Rorschach wrote:Nah, he is running a 980. Theory we have is it is something to do his overclocking software. I'm hoping because my setup is quite vanilla there will be no issues
I have a 980 as well. No over clock and Doom went straight to desk top twice. Just clicking the icon in my dashboard and the game was still there ready to play so no big deal. Other issue I had once was during my first play through. I left it on the screen just before you start a level for about 10 minutes (had to change my sons nappie and change his clothes). Came back to start level and game was stuck at 14 frames per second! Closed and opened game again and it was back to 60 frames per second.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Seems to be a buggy mess, hopefully iD fixes it shortly
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Vince wrote:
Rorschach wrote:Nah, he is running a 980. Theory we have is it is something to do his overclocking software. I'm hoping because my setup is quite vanilla there will be no issues
I have a 980 as well. No over clock and Doom went straight to desk top twice. Just clicking the icon in my dashboard and the game was still there ready to play so no big deal. Other issue I had once was during my first play through. I left it on the screen just before you start a level for about 10 minutes (had to change my sons nappie and change his clothes). Came back to start level and game was stuck at 14 frames per second! Closed and opened game again and it was back to 60 frames per second.
Crashing to desktop? 14fps? Master Race indeed!
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Difference with the Master Race though is you can generally fix issues with games with a little initiative and logic. There is no help for variable resolutions and 30fps on the consoles ;)
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Yeah I had some performance issues today as well, fucking game dipped down to 65fps in this really chaotic battle in The Foundry. :lol:

Rorschach wrote:Difference with the Master Race though is you can generally fix issues with games with a little initiative and logic. There is no help for variable resolutions and 30fps on the consoles ;)
Destroyed :lol:

:suicide: t0mby :suicide:
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Rorschach wrote:Difference with the Master Race though is you can generally fix issues with games with a little initiative and logic. There is no help for variable resolutions and 30fps on the consoles ;)
The average gamer doesn't want to fiddle around with initiative and logics to prevent ctds. They want a game that runs first time and every time.

Or you can wait for patches to iron out problems RE: PC versions of Quantum Break, Batman etc etc.

:suicide: Candy :suicide:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

"The average gamer" :lol:

No one who contributes to sites like GR are anything approaching "average gamers".

Meanwhile it's back to better gaming experiences for me :up:

:suicide: t0mby :suicide:
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Cheapest place to pick this up online for PC?
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Vince wrote:
I had a crash to desktop on first launch too, after relaunching it worked fine for me, no performance problems. I have no idea why it did that, but it sorted itself out for some reason, there is some bug with first/run settings initialization I assume, probably trying to read some hardware settings and not handling an unexpected value.